Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - Learning to accept our babies are toddlers

(881 Posts)
ClimbingPenguin Mon 18-Feb-13 12:51:17

New thread

I've hired someone to get all our babies to sleep while we go get sloshed in the corner

<hands out wine>

Engelsemama Wed 01-May-13 18:03:04

Looks like M has an eye infection. One eye swollen and red, lots of sleep. Anyone got any advice?

PenelopeLane Wed 01-May-13 19:54:52

I guess see a dr and get some drops engels? Don't have much more advice am afraid

A has had a tummy bug for ages, although it didn't seem to go away in terms of the contents of his nappies, even though he's been fine and well overwise - not unhappy at all. Turns out it may be a temporary lactose intolerance caused by the bug, so we're trialing cutting out diary. Which is proving to be quite hard, esp. breakfast as he cries for his favourite food, yogurt!

He also had a lot of nightmares last night, he was yelling and crying, but when I looked at him he seemed asleep. Things he yelled including "No! Train tracks gone!" "Mum! Mum gone!" and "Grandmaaaaa!". Makes me sad to think what he was actually dreaming of.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 01-May-13 20:34:42

Engels, maybe try cleaning with cool boiled water until you can get some drops? Might be start of conjunctivitis sad

Pen, S has been the same. Really awful nappies for the past week, but doesn't seem unwell or any different in herself. She's not had any new teeth now in a while so wondering if some are in their way. She had a bad poo on way home tonight in car, by time we got into house, her wed bottom was all red. I'm trying to clean her and she was sobbing and saying 'owww!' sadsadsadsad

Just had lovely day in the garden for my dads 60th. Ended up very sunny so S is away to bed tired out from pottering around outside all day.

Hope everyone is well x

Engelsemama Fri 03-May-13 09:23:44

Eye has cleared up on now without drops so no need for a trip to GP.

Sorry to hear that S and A are unwell sad

M has started biting me! yesterday on my leg while he was standing behaind me and just now on my arm shock Ouch!

LittlePebble Sat 04-May-13 07:27:32

Morning all!

One more day at work for me then holiday for a week grin can't wait!

Duck I hope S has a better bottom? E gets acidic poos that cause nappy rash I think it's because he eats so much fruit.

MrsH hope you had a lovely birthday

PenelopeLane Sat 04-May-13 10:27:20

I had a new niece born on Wed [Smile] Her name's Naya. She's gorgeous, but A got sooo jealous (wailing and massive tears) when I cuddled her. He's in for a nasty shock come October ... gulp ..

Congrats auntie Pen grin lovely name too.

eng how odd W has just started biting in the last few days too. I think it's when he gets over excited he's done it three times at home and once at nursery all when playing and very hyped up. Hopefully we've nipped it in the bud as he's been severely told off by us each time. Don't think it helps that he's starting to drop his dummy too so doesn't have anything in his mouth.

duck how's S today?

PenelopeLane Sat 04-May-13 11:55:28

We've been bitten too, it's as if he thinks he's kissing!

Engelsemama Sat 04-May-13 19:22:26

M thinks it's really funny! DH says I should just bite him back confused

Congrats on your new niecepen

Enjoy your holiday pebble

We have spent the whole day outside. M was absolutely filthy so 2nd bath in as many days needed! We're heading to ILs caravan tomorrow for walks, outside time and then to a pancake house for dinner. Hoping the weather stays nice (and ignoring the stack of essays I've had a week to mark and haven't looked at yet).

TallyBear Sat 04-May-13 20:55:55

Seb bites too! Mainly on our arms. He used to bite our cheeks instead of kissing but has stopped that now, thankfully.

Funny story today... dh has had a beard for a while now. I hate it so persuaded him to shave it off this morning. He came downstairs afterwards and Seb didn't seem to recognise him. He stuck close to me and won't move and was just staring at dh for ages, as if he was really unsure of who he was. it took him ages to treat dh as normal. Neither of us thought how he would take it. He seems OK now though.

LittlePebble Sun 05-May-13 08:30:03

Tally that's so cute! I would never have thought of the effect either.

Congratulations auntie Pen beautiful name.

E is another biter has been for ages. When he gets tired or overexcited he bites and licks me blush

Sun is shining here (whoop) hope it is for all of you x

CheshireDing Sun 05-May-13 10:36:36

Not been on for a while as crazy busy at work and falling asleep before 9pm every night (old biffer that I am).

P bit me last night on the neck too and I can't work out whether sometimes she is intentionally hitting me and just arm flailing, ikywim. Is it too early for her to comprehend hitting. I do say "no" but she just says "no" back and then I get the silent cry sad

P has had a sore bum due too this week and not wanted to get in the shower because of it. It's slightly better now but can seem to turn in the space of half a day back to bright red.

Congratulations on the replacement bread bad MrsH grin.

Have you got a doll or something A could get used to Pene? P has a doll she calls "baby" that she likes to wrap in a towel and shush pat.

Still waiting for the sun here sad

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 06-May-13 10:40:49

Morning all,

From what I remember from my nursery days, this is the age for biting, mainly due to frustration from trying to get something across, but maybe not having the words iykwim.. We had one little girl who the other kids used to dread as she was an awful biter. They do usually grow out if it! grin

We had a surprise party for my dad on Saturday night and S was a grump the whole weekend. I was getting angry/annoyed with her cause she isn't usually shy with people and wouldn't let me go. I had to take her to the toilet with me or there was a massive meltdown! Ended in a dreadful night last night with me only getting a few hrs. She was screaming 'mama bed' after an hr of being put down so I brought her in with me and she was out in a few mins while holding my hair (!). She's loaded with cold now so prob wasn't feeling great the whole weekend which made me feel guilty sad

CheshireDing Mon 06-May-13 12:02:01

Aww hope P cheers up so you get some Bank Holiday outdoors today (weather permitting).

I keep meaning to ask everyone with older children and Mummy (as you used to work in a nursery). We have Parents Evening at Nursery in a couple of weeks, any suggestions on things people might usually ask the Nursery Nurses ? hmm.

cheah we've had a couple of nursery parents evenings and they usually have W's key worker go through his progress charts, ask of there is anything specific we would like them to focus on with him and just a general chat. We don't normally ask too much just how they think he's doing.

ClimbingPenguin Tue 07-May-13 20:51:34

if any of the knitter want to look here that would be grand. Survival is a member of DD's post natel thread.

PenelopeLane Wed 08-May-13 08:52:46

Hope everyone is well smile

I just returned home after a night away from A - the 2nd time - and am being treated to the cold shoulder. Anyone else get that? I am sure it's normal but still sucks ...

I felt my new baby kick for the first time yesterday smile It feels more real now

Yay pen such a good feeling grin

Had to stop W munching on a snail in the garden today. I was showing it to him when he picked it up, tried to show the cat then sniffed it and popped it in his mouth! Que me yelling No don't eat it and launching myself at him to prise a very damp but thankfully uncrunched snail out of his mouth.

ipswichwitch Wed 08-May-13 19:55:27

Hi! <waving back at everyone>
Is anyone else having bother getting their LO's to sleep? N was doing well, just liked to hold my/DH's hand while he nodded off. Lately he's been taking so long to fall asleep, really resisting it, tossing/turning and standing up. We've gone back to shh/pat but its taking forever to get him down. I don't really know where to go from here - should we try cc or just carry on in the hope its a phase clutching at straws!

He doesn't have many words yet - probably about 10, and no joining together of words. He babbles incessantly so I'm hoping he's not behind for his age an will just come out with a string of words when we least expect it!

I've also been early to bed lately chesh, I'll join you in the old differ club! Feeling rotten with morning sickness but not complaining as I reckon it's a good thing iyswim! We have a parents evening for N later in the month too. It'll be great to look through his file and see how far he's come

ipswichwitch Wed 08-May-13 19:58:07

That's meant to say old biffer. Spelling fail!

ClimbingPenguin Thu 09-May-13 08:24:34

I just did a weekend way from the family pen but they have been spending a lot more time with DH since I started work. I've had a bit of cold shoulder but not too much, spending a fair bit of time with them on Friday and the weekend to make it up

Engelsemama Thu 09-May-13 14:48:42

posting from the UK for once! Over for a long weekend. Had a long journey last night. M wouldn't sleep in car or on boat, so didn't fall asleep until 22.15(or 23.15 Dutch time!) as we were driving off the ferry in Dover. he didn't even stir as I carried him up to the room and changed him so must have been pooped! First time sleeping in with duvet instead of sleeping bag (had sb with me but thought we'd try it without) and I didn't hear a peep from him until 6am this morning.

I am now quite worried about him getting to sleep on the plane. M was so resistance on the boat even though he was exhausted. Too many things to see and do!

pen how exciting to feel the baby!

DH and M both having a nap. Out for dinner with my mum/dad/bro later. M has been playing here in the garden - he's loving all the space and grass (we don't have any in our garden). Looking forward to some lovely family time.

snail strawb shock grin

Hope everyone is well. x

CheshireDing Thu 09-May-13 20:19:15

ha ha laughing at the snail scoffing strawbs grin Yes I forgot about their Journals so I guess part of it will be going through that.

Climbing that's so sad about Survivals DH, he only went to play footie, poor guy sad

Ips I feel sick every flipping day at the moment, it def wasn't this often with P.

Please fx for tomorrow morning ladies, we have our scan at 8.30am then MW appointment, I am so worried that I haven't been eating well enough and that there are two in there (or 3 I suppose). God could you imagine 3 at once!! shock

Hi to everyone else < waves >

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 09-May-13 20:26:33

Funny story, friend of a friend fell pref quite soon after first dc. She was so so sick and ended up in hospital where they gave her an early scan, turns out she was carrying 3!!! Don't think she is quite over the shock yet!!!

Hope all well tomorrow smile

PenelopeLane Thu 09-May-13 21:29:41

Triplets! shock

Have a nice time engels

Cheshire and ips hope the ms feels better ... it always feel like a rip off that you feel worse in the period when you can't tell people eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now