Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - Learning to accept our babies are toddlers

(881 Posts)
ClimbingPenguin Mon 18-Feb-13 12:51:17

New thread

I've hired someone to get all our babies to sleep while we go get sloshed in the corner

<hands out wine>

PenelopeLane Mon 08-Apr-13 09:11:08

Oh no - hope sassy and annie are feeling better, no to mention W. Is he ok?

Cheshire our trip is Sydney/Blue Mountains/Adelaide, and am in Sydney now. After a MASSIVE meltdown from A yesterday we realised that we had to keep him on NZ, rather than Aus time zones to keep him happy to am sitting in a hotel room at 6pm with a toddler who's been down an hour, having been up since 5! It'z ok though, not like we are going to be spending our evenings partying up a storm anyway.

The flight was fine on account of A sleeping for half of it, so not sure yet if I have any good tips, rather had very good luck! I'll post back after our next three flights ...

Things I've learnt so far though are keep his timezones as normal as possible, and give him lots of time to do nothing. We tried to fit too much in the first day, and he got really grizzly and now have a routine of doing nothing for at least a few hours a day in the hotel room it's working better. Which is counter intuitive when you want to go out and explore as much as poss, but hey ho.

We saw a Koala today and posed A in a photo with it, but then he yelled "eyes" and tried to poke the koala in its eyes. Glad I moved him away quickly. Those claws looked sharp.

He's doing a bit better today thanks smile DH says he's up and moving which is good he spent all of yesterday sat which is very unlike him. I on the other hand am at work and barely awake!

sassy34264 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:12:01

Is it amoxocillian strawberry ?

Eva had tonsilitiis a few weeks ago. Was given amoxicillian and the week after was covered in a rash. The spots are really tiny and very dense. It an amoxicillian rash. Doesn't mean they are allergic to penicillian and they don't need treatment. It goes on it's own.

Just saying in case w gets it, so you don't freak out like i did

sassy34264 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:16:53

Eek pen about the koala. Could have been nasty. Have a fab time. not fecking jealous in the slightest grrrrr

grin

AwkwardAnnie Mon 08-Apr-13 14:25:39

I'm home. After a weekend in hospital expecting an operation today, the surgeon was called to cover another emergency clinic and I got booted off the list. Cheesed off but I'm not in pain and I've got a stack of drugs to get me through the next few weeks. They should be able to operate towards the end of May or June but if a cancellation comes up they'll call me in earlier.
So long as we get to go on holiday at the end of April I don't mind... it's a relief in a way as I may not have been fit enough to drive to Devon.

S is going to stay at my parents for another day or so to make sure I'm okay without painkillers and give me time to properly rest. I had my own room the first 2 nights, but then they moved me into a bay with 3 old dears. The problem with being a healthcare worker and being in hospital is I can't sit and watch people struggle so I was trying to feed one lady, or offering advice for tricks that might work to get her eating. Then at 4:30 this morning another lady was shouting so I went to try to settle her and get her covered up again.

S has gone to bed at 11 or 12 the past couple of nights, woken at 5, and had a screaming abdab, the first night he was awake for about an hour watching a cowboy film with mum. last night she carried him downstairs and he was asleep by the time he got to the bottom of the stairs, so they went straight back to bed and he slept till he was woken by his cousins at 8. Fingers crossed he may have cracked sleeping through by the time he comes home <hopeful emoticon>

Hope W and sassy are both feeling better today.

sassy34264 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:30:11

Forgot to say, that i folded over blankets for the twins, to use as pillows to get them used to it, before i got proper pillows.

Eva moves around a lot, as did the twins, but they do it less as time goes on.

sassy34264 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:34:00

x posts annie boo for your op being cancel. Hope you are pain free. Hopefully like you say, it means you get your hol now.

I'm much better and tackling the house work between posting
dp watched the kids but bugger all else. hmm washing, cooking, drying, cleaning and taking rubbish out all done so far. God i wish i had a wife at times!

ClimbingPenguin Mon 08-Apr-13 15:19:27

glad everyone seems better

DS slept through last night (figure the waking at 10 doesn't really count). DD woke 6 times however. My body is slowly working out how to sleep for long periods again.

Thanks for the warning sassy but I don't think it is its phenoxymethylpenicillin and he HATES it!

Sorry to hear about your op annie hope hey can fit you in again soon

Yay for sleep climbing smile

Engelsemama Mon 08-Apr-13 19:16:12

sassy that is exactly what DH seems to do on his day at home with M!

While I was out at parents evening DH taought M how to high five grin

ClimbingPenguin Mon 08-Apr-13 19:25:28

I have to say DH does all that with the DCs. In fact he probably does more housework than me generally.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 08-Apr-13 21:44:03

Wish I had a husband to share with grin haha, I don't really wink

I did gut the spare room yesterday and sorted out all the toys in living room. S had quite a stash of my things in with her building blocks shock. Came across a hair brush, few clips, candle(!) and a set of keys that I've never seen before blush

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 08-Apr-13 21:44:18

*share housework

W had his check up at John Radcliffe today. His head is now within the normal range smile and we don't have to go back for 2 years unless we have any concerns grin fx that tomorrow's visit with the kidney consultant at Southampton goes as well!

Hope everyone is feeling better today

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 09-Apr-13 21:38:17

Great news strawb!!! Good luck for tomorrow

sassy34264 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:44:34

Fab news strawberry

Good luck tomorrow. x

LittlePebble Fri 12-Apr-13 10:41:58

Strawberry that's brilliant news! grin

LittlePebble Fri 12-Apr-13 20:48:55

I can't quite believe it but E is ill again. The pebble household is cursed with sickness this year I am going to invest in a bell and walk the streets shouting "unclean"

Temperature, projectile vomiting and diarrhoea since last night poor mite along with conjunctivitis sad I'm so tired somebody pour me some wine

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 12-Apr-13 21:36:43

Oh no pebble! That's awful sad
Big glass for you winewinewinewine

Engelsemama Sat 13-Apr-13 08:52:06

Oh no pebble . <hugs>

Great news strawb

Oh pebble poor E and poor you wine

Southampton pretty happy with W's kidney it's working well an just a little on the large side so they don't want to see us for a year smile can't quite believe we will have a whole year of no hospital visits
baring emergency

Hope everyone else's weekend is going well

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sat 13-Apr-13 11:48:34

Fantastic strawb! Well done W! grin

LittlePebble Sat 13-Apr-13 11:51:22

Strawb that is brilliant news! winethanks

sassy34264 Sat 13-Apr-13 14:31:37

So sorry pebble that was me a few weeks ago. Keep going, it will end soon. x

Yeah strawberry what great news in one week. x

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sun 14-Apr-13 19:05:46

Hello, quiet around here... Where are you all? Enjoying the nicer weather?! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now