Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - Guess what we were doing this time last year

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 13-Feb-13 21:30:34
StuntNun Tue 19-Feb-13 10:02:30

I know it's not quite the same Eliza but my DS2 (6yo) has been having weight gain and other issues and it has been hard to get a diagnosis. They are trying different things to see what might be going on but the one thing they are doing is increasing his calories by supplementation (the kind of thing they would give to a very ill child who couldn't eat properly). It's only a temporary step but it gives us a break as it allows him to keep gaining weight while other avenues are being explored. So please try not to worry too much, you are doing just the right thing.

glendathefedupwitch Tue 19-Feb-13 10:17:47

eliza fingers x'd you get some answers as to why LO is not gaining - on th bottle front have you tried warming it up to breast milk temp?? Dottie won't take anything unless it is really warm fussy mare have you tried cup or syringe feeding?

detective shame your planned lovefest with O has been thwarted with his jabs - though I'm sure he'll need mummy cuddles after them!!

Dots had me up at 4.30 for a top up and after 3 failed transfers and me gagging for a drink we thought sod it and went down to watch a pointless - hence us having a lazy day today - other than listing crap on eBay ready for a splurge on 3-6 clothes, Dottie must be gaining fast cos she's almost out of 0-3

MissMummy1 Tue 19-Feb-13 10:35:06

We did Aberdeen to Cornwall for a long weekend in my ancient peugeot 206. Me, my boyfriend at the time, and my 2 6'something male flatmates. The men were all useless and I was the only one who could drive. We had a car load of camping/surfing kit and 4 boards on the roof. It was a squeeze. We drove the whole way there on cooking oil so there were 2 40l drums of it in the boot too. I was a bit mental when I was a student...

Remembering this makes me think it's perfectly doable to buy a 107 now? grin No

Catbag Tue 19-Feb-13 10:42:53

mm grin

TheDetective Tue 19-Feb-13 10:46:29

Sodding men! We had the worst poosuvious explosion we've ever had. A foot filler none the less. And I'm quite sure I know why... He'd been in his night nappy for 12 hours, and instead of changing him at 8 when he got up with him, he was still in it at 9.45 hmm.

He, of course denied it. But I know it was a night one because I put him in a size 3 and we only have size 3 upstairs. And he didn't stay upstairs with him, he went straight down stairs. That and the fact it was bulging with piss. hmm

Why is he so lazy?! He had 8 hours sleep ffs. Unbroken sleep! I think getting up and doing the first feed and change of the day isn't too much to ask...?!

Cat it is strangely accurate also...! My singing repertoire is rapidly expanding!

horsey I wish he could do. Even if he could get FT work, I'd still earn 2.5 times what he did sad it makes it impossible for me to consider any other option. I'd love to work 3 days a week, but the drop in income is too much for us to swallow. I may be able to drop one day some point in the future, but not yet. The frustrating thing with working shifts is that you still have to cover FT childcare even if you only do 2/3 days because they will slap you on any old shifts and you can't complain.

I'm glad that for now I won't have to worry about cc costs. But it is something I will have to keep in mind in case our arrangements don't work out.

Sorry, I'm full of waffle today!

BigPigLittlePig Tue 19-Feb-13 10:55:00

mm I didn't even know you could run a car on veggie oil! grin

Just heard that the board of the deanery meet on Wednesday to decide on my future confused I've put my plea in, to complete my training at my local hospital for the next 2 years. It is likely I'll get one of those years, but if the second year is in Bristol, I have doubts whether I'll be able to complete it. I would be out of the house on a normal working day, from 7-7. And that's before you factor in the on-call shifts. Not sure I could leave LO that long sad Nervous doesn't even sum it up.

Catbag Tue 19-Feb-13 10:58:29

pig Pretty much all diesels can run on cooking oil. Was going to do it for my Mitsubishi Pajero at one point, but couldn't source a chip shop that would sell me their used oil hmm

Donnadoon Tue 19-Feb-13 11:15:20

Ha cat it would have been fine in there we had one..dh currently has a delica...tough old birds they are aren't they?

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Tue 19-Feb-13 11:21:11

Hello. I've tried to catch up again but it just doesn't work very well.

We had a bad night last night. Baby was up at least 4 times before 8am. No good at all.

I have my GYN appointment today to discuss my prolapse. I had it after DD but it has been made worse by having DS. I'm not really sure what to ask or anything. I don't think they will agree to operate as I'm 29 and it seems that ops are reserved for older ladies. I don't really know what other options I have to be honest. I need something to be done as at the minute I don't feel I can do any exercise as I feel the prolapse bouncing about!

I've joined myfitnesspal in an effort to reduce my weight. Also I am official ly off my medication which means that I have no excuse for weight gain now...yay!

ChunkyChicken Tue 19-Feb-13 11:35:46

pennie DS is left upstairs in his cot after "bedtime". He gets a feed at about 8.30pm after I've read DD a story & put her to bed. DH usually gets DS ready for bed whilst I'm doing that. DS usually sleeps quite well & last night didn't wake up for a feed until gone 5. He was about 10wks when we started doing this. DD was in her own room at 9wks from necessity so it didn't seem that big a deal for DS to be in his cot at 10wks, especially as he was getting too big for the Moses basket. He has a big nap in the afternoon in his cot, whilst DD has her nap, but the rest of the time naps in his rocker, which has a 'kick stand' & is quite supportive & secure.

izzy I suspect they only operate once your family is complete but you shouldn't have to wait until middle age for treatment. They should offer something else if they are not willing to operate yet.

cat we've got to get a buggy in our car too... We have been camping in our Citroën saxo but that was just the 2 of us. We're looking into estates I think. Perhaps as new a Volvo as we can afford.

Ah ladies, I hope you can help me with some ideas!

DT2 has decided laying in one place in her cot is just not for her and she like to explore the whole cot at night. She is forever clunking her head on the bars, getting stuck side ways on in the cot and howling for me to rescue her! If I put her at the bottom, she wiggles to the top, clunking her head along the way. If I put her at the top, she wiggles to the bottom and gets stuck sideways on! She thrashes about so much that sometimes she ends up on her back (she sleeps on her front). About 20 minutes ago she screamed so loudly that I thought she had fallen out the cot, I ran upstairs like a maniac to find her head squashed in the corner of the cot! She knocked it so hard she took some skin off her head sad

I don't have a cot bumper and would prefer not to have one as I have read they are not safe, or are they confused

Any tips very welcome. She can keep bashing her noggin about like she is.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 19-Feb-13 12:15:44

Damn. No lamb in my freezer. Really fancied roast lamb after all that lambing talk. Must call the farm and have them put a leg aside for me for the weekend. And some chops. Oh sod it, I'm going to ask them to make me up a batch for the freezer. Yum.

Sorry to the veggies. I'm lucky enough to be able to buy pretty much all my meat from local farms and it's bloody good. All happy animals at least.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 19-Feb-13 12:18:56

Garden we have cot bumpers. The risk is that they get stuck in them I think. Or suffocate. I'm not sure. We tie them to the bars very tight so they would be hard to push through or loosen. I was against but then DD1 got her leg stuck in the bars once and really quite hurt it. Inconsolable. So we weighed up the pros and cons, took advice in the shop on the safest way of using them etc...

BigPigLittlePig Tue 19-Feb-13 12:25:50

I thought it was something to do with overheating/suffocating. But the way I see it is that if the risk was that high they wouldn't be allowed to sell them. When LO goes into her cot, she'll have one because even contained within her sleeping bag she is little miss mobile - there'll be limbs stuck in all sorts of places.

StuntNun Tue 19-Feb-13 12:36:33

I remember seeing one that was supposed to be a safe breathable mesh Garden but can't remember where sorry. confused I like GT's idea of tucking the end of the sleeping bag under the mattress to stop LOs from wiggling about in the night.

TheDetective Tue 19-Feb-13 12:44:24

Not sure if this link will work as on mobile Garden breathable cot bumper. I've not got one or seen one but I've seen these along my online shopping travels!

Cam anyone recommend a good neoprene wrap? Im going to try one to see if O is happier swimming as he should be warmer, yes?

MissMummy1 Tue 19-Feb-13 13:01:06

So glad others on here have heard of it cat. BPLP it was a massive faff, but I drove that car for about 50,000 miles over 2.5yrs before I wrote it off in April and in that time probably spent about £500 max on diesel. We ran our old disco on it too (tbh you could put anything in the tank of disco diva and it would go) and will run our 110 defender on it when it's finished. DP will anyway. I've joined the dark side and bought a petrol car and it's modern diesel replacement probably couldn't cope sad . Plus I'm a bit less reckless now! blush

I've done a tonne of housework this morning. Downstairs is beginning to resemble it's pre-Matilda glory upstairs looks like a bomb had hit it and then some !

The anti-bs she is on need to be given at least an hour after and half an hour before feeds. Can someone pass that memo onto her please? Can a clever baby please teach her not to spit them out too? confused 4 times a sodding day....

Thanks for tips. Detective I had seen those Air Wraps but am cheap skate and didn't buy them before babies were born. Now I effing well had to! Just spent 50 quid on sodding Air Wraps.

Afternoon all!

Feeling a bit fed up today. It's a combination of being worn out, lack of time to tidy up, boredom and lack of time to myself I think. I want to do something, but can't think of anything to do/anywhere to go plus I don't even know if I have the energy.
Will probably just end up sat on the sofa, cuddling a baby, again!

Had to moan at DH last night as he was taking ages in the bath and he was supposed to be bathing M. He said something about time to himself so I moaned that I get no time to myself at all apart from a 10 minute bath which either M normally comes in with me or DH brings her to see me or when I'm asleep. During the day if she does sleep somewhere other than on me or in the car then I end up cleaning.
I love being at home and breastfeeding, just grates every so often that I get NO time to do what I want

Sorry for the moan smile

On a lighter note, M is now the proud owner of a bumbo

PurplePidjin Tue 19-Feb-13 13:36:22

We go to bed as afamily at about 8. He does one stretch of 4-5 hours then a couple of 1-2s if I'm lucky. My sleep is more important than tv!

ChunkyChicken Tue 19-Feb-13 13:45:05

I used a bumper garden with both DD & now DS. I make sure its tied tightly & tucked down the side of the mattress, so LO can't get tangled in it. Admittedly I do worry a bit that it might be a smothering risk, but I've only ever seen either dc headbutt it, rather than face-plant iyswim. I will remove it as soon as he can sit up.

fatima unfortunately it is a fact of having babies/small children - me time is limited (somethings gotta give otherwise, whether its the housework, bathing, whatever). It's worth it in the long run but its made more irritating that Dad rarely loses his free time in the same way... Try to make time at least one day a week to relax & suit yourself. And if you can, try to get out. Just go for a walk, even if its only for 15mins, as getting out will help you feel like you've achieved something, get some fresh air & help you to ignore the mess!! It's ok to moan, we're here to help. smile

Contradictionincarnate Tue 19-Feb-13 14:58:07

yeah Fatima talk to dh mine is encouraging me to go out by myself and to have some time...I never thought I would say this but I enjoy doing dishes listening to music or podcast when dh gets home ... or cooking a meal (glass of wine in hand).
dh will also do the same and iron listening to talk sport. it seems to take days to get house tidy but hours to get it a mess grrr ... and just when I think I have a plan it all goes tits up but my day job wad like this.

kirrinIsland Tue 19-Feb-13 15:00:11

I used the airwrap bumpers with DD1 partly cos of the head banging and partly to keep her dummy in the cot!

I have actually managed to give the bathroom a proper clean today <proud>

And both kids slept at the same time, only for 20 minutes but they were the best 20 minutes I've had in a while!

ValiumQueen Tue 19-Feb-13 15:29:05

detective it was horsey who said about the sphincter. I know nothing.

We have granules so gonna try them tonight. Fingers crossed it will help as they were £8!

PP any changes should be given to Tax Credits as they can adjust it so you get it when you need it.

ValiumQueen Tue 19-Feb-13 15:32:24

You are right about KIT days, but can I take LO? And would it have to be all day? My manager has yet to reply to my email so I bet he forgot. He is not the most reliable person.

This thread is not accepting new messages.