Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

February 2013?

(292 Posts)
KeepTryin Wed 13-Feb-13 00:09:26

Is there a born in February 2013 group yet? I didn't manage to keep up with the antenatal threads so thought I'd get a head start on the postnatal threads before I've even had baby! wink

Aldan Wed 27-Mar-13 07:34:01

It's soooo quiet on here...

I expressed for the first time yesterday, DS had about 2oz from a bottle so I'm quite pleased. I'm hoping I can store enough milk to allow me to get a full nights sleep this weekend. DS is in bed with me every night now, he makes such a fuss if I put him in his cot he grunts a lot but he's silent if he's in my bed. I think it's because he lies on his side in my bed which helps his tummy.

Good news, I'm driving again, it's only been 3 weeks post CS but my doctor said its ok to drive. I'm really pleased as DS1 is off school for 2 weeks now and is already getting bored!

irismom Wed 27-Mar-13 15:24:16

Nar4 I have heard the same thing from many of my friends, But i think I am expecting a miracle tbh. I can handle the vomiting without alarming thoughts now, after four weeks :P. My concern now is of his clothes forever wet, and the bibs soaking. How often do you all change the clothes? And nappies at night?
I do change his clothes mostly before / in between a feed (burping break). but withing seconds he vomits on that and the neck/ear side of the cloth is always soaking wet. He doesnt seem to be bothered though. By that time he will be asleep and I dont want to disturb him. Same thing happens at night. I change him to a new nappy and then feed, while feeding I know it is getting fuller/poo, but he will be asleep by the end of feed sad
Aldan it is so quiet here.. everyone seems so busy grin

Want2bSupermum Thu 28-Mar-13 03:01:51

Hi iris I change DS after every feed. I wait for him to throw up! I feed him every 4hrs now which has helped cut down on the laundry. Diaper is changed at the same time.

I always change clothing as soon as it is wet. They can't maintain their temp at this age. Bibs are all terry towel type ones that I got on amazon. Wish I had them for DD!

Nar - hope ur feeling better. guess things must be really bad in the uk as my dad just had to go to europe for treatment.

NAR4 Thu 28-Mar-13 09:25:02

irismom I only change nappies at night if DS has pooed (unlike all my other DCs he doesn't do one every feed) and sometimes because it is very wet. I always change clothes straight away if they get sick on them as I worry he will get sore. He doesn't like getting changed but settles quickly afterwards. You can put all the sicked on clothes in a bucket of water to stop staining and then when yoy have a washload they should just need a short wash cycle, which makes it quicker and saves yoy money on your water.

Want2bSupermum I feel fine now thanks. Finished ABs on Tuesday so am hoping DS will be more settled today with less tummy ache. He was up with pains for several hours last night so fingers crossed that is the last of it.

Hope everyone enjoys the bank holiday weekend. smile

ImGoingToCountToThree Mon 01-Apr-13 20:52:11

Hello, how is everyone doing?

My little bundle is 6 weeks now and things are going well. First smiles are starting now smile feeding is going well and we have been regularly getting 5-6 hours during the night which is much better.
Not looking forward to first immunisations though in a couple of weeks.
Have my 6 week check this Wednesday.
Hope everyone is doing well and those who were having problems with feeding and or colic are managing through these difficult first weeks.

Aldan Mon 01-Apr-13 22:32:27

Hope everyone had a great Easter break grin

Immunisations aren't nice, but worse for you at this age I think iwanttocounttothree hmm

Does anyone know what the advice is re swimming? When can I take DS to a public swimming pool?

NAR4 Tue 02-Apr-13 09:32:23

Aldan there doesn't seem to be any advice about swimming anymore. When my older DSs were little the advice used to be to wait until the 2nd lot of immunisations, when they were 3 months. Think this was mainly due to the worry they might get polio from the water (not that they could in a proper treated pool) and 2 lots of immunisations to give their body time to make antibodies. With my DD (who has just turned 2) I waited until she was 2 months, but mainly because I was still bleeding after the birth until then, so was at risk of infection myself before it stopped.

My DS only woke up once last night but before you feel jealous it was at 1am and he didn't go back down until 5am, so sounds much better than it was. I feel like death now and have 3 noisy teenage boys, a very active toddler and the baby to entertain today. Yeah! grin

Aldan Tue 02-Apr-13 10:07:58

Sounds rough nar4, hope you manage a quietish day. DS2 was awake 11.30-1.30 then slept until 6 and has been awake since so I'm tired but not as tired as you. I think I'll take him swimming next week, he'll be 5 weeks then.

NAR4 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:01:44

I've had a lovely day, with the children all fairly calm and quiet. Got a bit of shopping done this morning and bought a new film which the children watched after their lunch with popcorn. DH will be home within the hour, so he can take over if I start to flake.

Booked family photo session for end of May, when baby will be old enough to smile at toys being rattled.

Will try to catch up on some of the washing and housework tomorrow. Happy children and a sane mother were more important today.

CackleALot Wed 03-Apr-13 22:57:08

Hi all, sounds all nice & calm on here (or maybe its just tiredness!)

DD 5 weeks now, to be honest I'm struggling a bit adjusting tho having 2 especially with breastfeeding as DD always seems hungry & DS sees this as opportunity to get up to mischief! Feeling quite overwhelmed at times especially when family all nearly 200miles away.

On a positive note BFing going much better than last time, no supply issues as yet, DD EBF & has put on over 2lbs.

Night feeding still unpredictable, could be up for 2 short feeds or up for hours feeding. DD also quite fussy in evening, appeared in pain this evening & hard to settle so wondering if she has reflux

Hope everyone else doing well & have had a nice Easter

Marcheline Thu 04-Apr-13 05:03:09

Hi everyone, its been a while since I've posted an its amazing how things have moved on - it sounds as though things have been settling down a bit for all the babies; I have to say, I'm finding things much easier this time especially now BabyMarch is past the 6 week Mark.

Nights are much better now and I am only usually up 3 or 4 times, bit it's hard to settle her back down because she's got a very unsettled tummy. Sounds like it's a common problem! I try to keep get upright on my shoulder for half an hour after a feed, then put her on her aide in her bassinet, but she still sometimes struggles and vomits so we have to change her and start the feed again.

BF is going really well now I'm past the cracked nipples stage. In still getting quite engorged but it's gradually settling down and I'm hoping that by 8 weeks I'll be more comfortable and will stop leaking all over the place!

Cackle how old us your DS? I've started to set up little craft activities / playdoh / put on a film for DD1 before settling down to feed and it's made a huge difference with her behaviour. It also helps that feeding doesn't take as long as it used to, so she is on her own less. It is so hectic with two and I'm o ly just getting used to it - I've been really lucky and had DH for a few extra days over Easter as he took some holiday, and DD1 was in nursery yesterday so I had some time alone with the baby which was great for all of us. Do you have a playgroup or crèche you can put DS into for a morning a week?

CackleALot Thu 04-Apr-13 09:15:03

Hi March, Glad to hear things are getting easier - I have high hopes for 6 wks!grin

DS will be 3 in May & goes to nursery 1 day a week which is a big help. I'm hoping it'll feel easier when I'm getting more sleep. Also found its much easier to get out of the house.

Craft activities are a good idea & thankfully he does like TV/films. I'm trying to meet up with other mums as much as possible so don't feel so isolated.

NAR4 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:31:48

Cackle my DD is much harder if I stay home all day rather than go to toddler group. Like march I give DD activities to occupy her whilst I breastfeed. My big wish is for DD to sleep through the night so I am only getting up with the baby. She often gets up as many times as the baby. DH is meant to she to her at night because I am doing all the night feeds, but he normally needs me to wake him, which kind of defeats the point.

DD was jealous of DS to start with, but has settled down now, thank goodness.

Looking forward to getting my 6 week check out of the way so I can start some exercise to try and shrink my mummy tummy. Burgh, now the hard work begins.

Marcheline Fri 05-Apr-13 21:58:17

NAR are you already thinking about exercising confused I can't think of anything worse right now! Walking is best for me so I'm doing that already, but anything high-impact is a real no-go for me.

I'm so tired that I'm going cross eyed but wanted to pop on to say that I hope everyone has lovely, sleep-filled nights.

CackleALot Tue 09-Apr-13 21:56:27

Nar our DS is getting up during the night too we've now stupidly got into habit of DH just getting up & sleeping in his bed with him so he goes straight back to sleep, on a plus note it means me & DD have bed all to ourselves for night feeds! grin We'll tackle it sometime!

Want2bSupermum Thu 11-Apr-13 02:35:55

Got the all clear to start exercising today. Went for a run before the heavens opened and it was great.

Cackle I am in your boat too... DD is 21 months and it is a nightmare trying to contain her while I feed DS. Elmo and Curious George are very popular in this house! DH left last Wednesday and I was on my own until Monday PM. I got sick on Saturday and it was awful. The only person I could get hold of was my friend whose DH has cancer. I wasn't sure when his next chemo round was as he gets quite ill. Unfortunatly he had just had it and was really sick. We all survived... just!

It has been all go here. DD had tubes put in yesterday and the dog was treated for his ear infection this afternoon. With the PIL arriving I have been able to get the house in decent shape. It is now clean but needs a serious decluttering.

I go back to work on April 22nd which is a week on Monday. I can't believe how time has flown. My inlaws have hijacked DS but I am ok with it. This might be their last grandchild and they didn't get to have cuddles with DD when she was this age.

Marcheline Thu 11-Apr-13 09:20:32

Want2b work is so close! I would secretly love to go back as I'm finding this really hard to be honest. I'll be going back to work in September.

Evenings are killing me at the moment. The baby won't be put down and wants to feed but is really only sucking for comfort I think, as she then throws up. This morning I have two loads of bed clothes to wash.

Sitting upstairs in the dark trying to get her to sleep is really starting to get to me. I need my evenings in order to be sane, but I don't know how to reclaim them. Baby is 7 weeks old and we have the beginnings of a routine, I'm trying to get her into gina ford but she's very sleepy in the mornings and then so unsettled in the evenings. It's wearIng me down and I'm staring to really lose it with DH.

This happened last time and I ended up with awful PND.

CackleALot Thu 11-Apr-13 15:08:48

want2b & march It could be me writing your posts! its so stressful isn't it, sorry I have no words of wisdom but its comforting to know I'm not alone. want2b enjoy help from PILs smile

I go back to work in sept too. Sat upstairs crying in the dark last night as baby wouldn't settle, just feel exhausted. she hates being put in Moses basket or pram, its wearing me down! We got her settled then DS was in our bed at 4am sad

Just keep telling myself this won't last forever and baby's smiles & small babblings make it all worth while!!

I think I stress myself out as I feel bad if I've not managed to get housework etc done & don't wasn't DH to think I've done nothing all day!

Want2bSupermum Thu 11-Apr-13 18:54:30

March I have been really lucky with DD being a good sleeper as she has a pacifer - I call it the plug! If you want your evenings back I would have your DH look after her alternate nights or another family family member. A happy mummy makes for a happy family.

Cackle I think the exhaustion is the hardest. It is a form of torture....

Marcheline Fri 12-Apr-13 01:57:08

Oh cackle try not to worry about the housework. I'm sure that your DH knows that your DS and tiny baby are all it takes to keep you completely busy all day.

However, since being at home every day I am now nearly obsessed with hoovering - the floors just get so much more messy now DD1 and I are traipsing in and out of the garden etc. That's not to mention all the extra washing up / loads of washing / surface wiping because DD1 seems to have permanently sticky hands!

Anyway, Want2b I know what you mean about sleep depravation torture. Tonight I fell asleep on the sofa and DH covers me with a blanket and left me to sleep as I was so exhausted. I wokenup and the house was dark, it was so disorientating! On the plus side, it means that he baby slept from about 8.30pm until 11.30 so I got a decent block of sleep, even if it was on the sofa!

Unfortunately this baby won't take a dummy or a bottle. I keep trying, bit she pulls faces and gags, and if I persist she just ends up vomiting. I was so desperate to establish BF that we didn't offer any bottles and now she thinks they're the devils own work. I'm going to persevere with bottles though. A friend is having girls over for wine in May and I desperately want to go sans baby and enjoy myself. It sounds colossally selfish but I haven't had a night out in months and it would be so brilliant to be able to leave the baby with DH.

I hope you're both having good, sleep filled nights xx

Marcheline Fri 12-Apr-13 02:12:47

And Cackle, I have been sitting in the dark trying to get the baby to settle, quietly getting desperate and going mad, all week. Tonight I gave up, and brought her downstairs to feed. I was so muchore relaxed and she dropped of to sleep, then I gave her to DH to ring upstairs and put to bed. It made a huge Difference to how I felt and I didn't spend the evening in tears or shouting at DH for his inability to breastfeed. I know gina / baby whisperer say you shoul settle them in the dark upstairs, bit if they're not actually settling, I think you should give yourself a break.

Aldan Fri 12-Apr-13 17:21:42

Hello all. I've not been on mn for a bit. I hope everyone is doing ok. I'm just about to start exercising, davina DVD is ready to go smile not had the all clear yet, going to docs on Wednesday so ill just take it easy. My dad is renewing his wedding vows in June and its DSs christening so I really really want to be somewhere close to my pre pregnancy weight by then. I'm still BF and I am soooo hungry all the times does anyone else feel like that?

I'm back at work next Saturday wanttobe, not a nice feeling is it hmm. I work for myself so ill only be doing a few hours to start with but still hmmhmmhmm

Marcheline, your evenings sound exactly like my evenings, feeding for comfort then throwing up. I hope a real routine emerges soon for you all. You worry me saying your DD won't take a bottle, I need to be back at work so I may have a battle on my hands getting DS to take a bottle then...

Cackle, we have moved DS into a cot already it's a travel cot which has a vibrating mattress- it's worked wonders grin and bugger the housework gringrin

Marcheline Fri 12-Apr-13 19:08:24

Don't worry Aldan, some babies take bottles and dummies better than others. DD1 loved bottles from the word go but I remember the angst some of my Nct group had trying to introduce bottles. Now it's my angst! Gina says to offer nothing but a bottle for 24 hours and you'll crack it. Apparently it won't harm the baby. It sounds really dull on though so I'm offering a bottle every evening when my milk is low, but I'm not pushing it.

Good luck with work! My head isn't ready yet but I'm starting to get bored athome - I am starting to sort through drawers and reorganise,a sure sign that I need out!

CackleALot Fri 12-Apr-13 19:41:44

Thanks Ladies...had better night last night which made a difference today.

March we're having same prob with bottle & dummy here. I totally understand wanting to be able to get out without baby for a few hours to let hair down.

Aldan good for you for even looking out DVD!! I am constantly starving with bfing & have 3 weddings in summer to get in shape for - hope motivation comes soon!!

Aldan Fri 12-Apr-13 20:36:47

Thanks march, hopefully he'll be fine with the bottle.

Cackle, the constant eating is horrible isn't it. I'm scoffing chocolate and biscuits all the time no wonder DS is so huge grin

Davina DVD done! It was only the postnatal one so quite easy but my thighs are now feeling it! I checked my stomach muscles and they are still quite far apart, does anyone know when try usually go back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now