Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

February 2013?

(292 Posts)
KeepTryin Wed 13-Feb-13 00:09:26

Is there a born in February 2013 group yet? I didn't manage to keep up with the antenatal threads so thought I'd get a head start on the postnatal threads before I've even had baby! wink

NAR4 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:29:28

DD had her first day at playgroup yesterday. She refused (predictably) to let me leave. Baby projectile vomited everywhere including all over me and himself, whilst there. Shortly after changing him and washing myself down, he pooed loads and leaked everywhere. Changer him again and then second round of puking and no more spare clothes. In the mean time I had changed into a spare top I had in the car but realised to my horror that my breasts had leaked all through my bra and top, very obviously and I had nothing else to change into, not even a cardigan to cover up in. Oh the glamour!

DD had her birthday party yesterday afternoon and that (thankfully) went alright, apart from my 14 year old giving me a letter saying he had been excluded from school today for fighting. Need to go to a really convenient meeting tomorrow morning (an hour away, with a newborn and 2 yr old) before they will accept him back to school. Can hardly wait!

DD is taking advantage of every moment I am busy with the baby to get up to mischief. I'm sure this didn't happen with my older children, but it probably did and I just don't remember.

Turns out I felt really awful due to retained membranes which had caused an infection. On antibiotics now (day 3) and already feel much better. Was hoping for an easier day today but that is out the window now I have a stoppy teenager to supervise doing (but trying not to) do school work, from home.

Hope everyone is settling into normality.

bangersmashandbeans Tue 05-Mar-13 09:44:26

My goodness NAR, I'm never going to complain again! You've got so much going on I think you should name change to superwoman! Sorry to hear about you DS - that meeting sounds like it'll be fun judging by how playgroup went wink Good luck!!

NAR4 Tue 05-Mar-13 14:24:02

DS hasn't been too bad in the end and as the day has progressed, has knuckled down to getting loads of work done. He has now moved onto the chores I set him as punishment and is busy sorting out the garden ready for planting this years vegetables. I'll get him to clean my car when he is done.

Managed to go food shopping with newborn and DD. No vomiting or pooing today and DD behaved really good. Starting to feel a lot more human today and have stocked up the car ready, with extra changes of clothing and a bag of sticker books and colouring to entertain DD tomorrow.

Lovely weather here today, which always makes everything seem better.

Aldan glad to hear you and baby are alright and hope you are not disappointed you ended up with a CS.

Hilda your toddler sounds like a typical sibling of a newborn. He is just learning to adjust. Try having a box of 'special' things for him to do whilst you are busy (has only had limited success with my toddler). Try telling him all the wonderful things he can do because he is a big boy but the baby can't do ie you have your own big boy bed but baby isn't allowed one yet, until he is a big boy like you. This one has helped get my DD to spend more of the night in her own bed. It will all get easier.

CalamityJ Tue 05-Mar-13 18:42:04

How nice has it been to have given birth recently and had all this lovely weather to encourage us to leave the house? Kicks jaundice into touch! Having to take it easy because of the c - section but so nice to BF in the night not freezing cold!

MissTiredAndGrumpy Wed 06-Mar-13 10:21:15

cold again today - misery - breastfeeding at night is torturous in this old farmhouse <draft whistling around my ears as i speak>
.....roll on Spring.....

Want2bSupermum Wed 06-Mar-13 20:05:46

Miss T&G We are due to have snow apparently. I was going to head out today for a walk with DS but it is very windy and too cold. Our home is not well insulated at all and we have single pane sash windows. They look great but my goodness they are drafty.

CackleALot Wed 06-Mar-13 20:52:04

Hi all, how's everyone doing. Weather is chilly! had DC1 in summer which was much nicer!

got another bfing question - are your LOs feeding lots during the night? my DD is a week old now and is sleeping all day but waking for feeds maybe every 4 hours but at night she is a wake for hours. last night she was up from 12-4 feeding on n off, every time I put her down she woke up rooting again. seems to be sucking for comfort rather than feeding....

Any advice/thoughts? smile

NAR4 Thu 07-Mar-13 08:30:45

Cackle babies feed lors at night because it is the best way to increase your milk supply. Have you tried co sleeping to enable you to get more sleep yourself. You can then get the baby latched on, lying next to you and just go to sleep, only waking briefly to help them re latch if they come off and start rooting. You could also try waking them to feed more often during the day. Hope you start getting more sleep soon.

Despite being tired and feeling like I am leaking from everywhere, I am enjoying having a new baby and relieved not to be pregnant anymore.

CalamityJ Thu 07-Mar-13 10:58:17

12-4 sounds familiar Cackle!

Our DD was sleeping lots during the day but we're trying to shorten the sleeps very slightly every day to get her to shift the sleep till the night. Last night we got 2 lots of 3 hours sleep so seemed to work but then again you think you've got her sussed & she does something totally unexpected!

CackleALot Thu 07-Mar-13 13:47:08

Thanks Nar & Calamity co-slept last night & got bit more sleep. think I'll try waking her a bit more during the day and see if that works but your right calamity these early days are a guessing game & change so quickly!

Nar I too am enjoying not being pregnant but looking forward to not leaking from every orifice! grin

ImGoingToCountToThree Thu 07-Mar-13 14:50:23

Hi all!

Well DD2 is 3 weeks old already! It's going so fast. Feeding seems to be going well and at the moment she has figured out night and day. We go to bed at around 10pm and she has a feed and is sleeping until around 2am, then goes back to sleep until about 4am for another feed then goes to about 6.30. I can't complain at that I guess. I'm hoping it lasts, I keep expecting it to go pear shaped any day.

She is being troubled by lots of wind though in the early evening and during the day, lots of grunting , leg lifting then followed by lots of trumping smile and generally unsettled until she shifts it all with a big poo.

I too am happy I'm not pregnant anymore and half of the leakiness has now stopped, I'm still going through breast pads for fun though. DD1 (9)was chasing DS (11) around with my used one she had picked up from next to me whilst I was feeding. He was screaming like a girl, I couldn't tell her to stop for laughing at his reaction. grin

Want2bSupermum Thu 07-Mar-13 14:56:51

Cackle I typed out a post and DS woke up hungry!

Here in the US we see a paediatrican group with the DC's. Our fav Dr is in her 50's, trained in India and has 2 children and 6 grandchildren. She gave us the bed advice which worked wonders for DD. She said give them 2 weeks to find themselves. After two weeks put them on a 3 hr schedule. Once the schedule is established then get them sleeping more during the night. Her tips for getting them to sleep during the night were to give baby a bath before bedtime (we still give DD a bath daily before bedtime), keep lights on/ keep it noisy during the day and have baby sleep in a different room during the day. She wanted us to only use the bassinet at night and have DD sleep in various places during the day such as the vibrating chair, swing, floor (on sheet on rug - only works for first baby) and in the stroller bassinet.

CackleALot Thu 07-Mar-13 16:04:26

grin at your DCs Counting smile

Thanks for that advice Supermum a few good tips in there to try! I can't really remember DS at this age blush must have been in a zombie-like state! smile

Aldan Thu 07-Mar-13 18:00:27

DS is having 4 hour feeds too, ok in the day but 12-4am is tough! He's only 4 days old though and far too cute to let me get cross grin

Went to DS1s mothers day assembly today. Really lovely, he loves me because I buy him toys and I'm special because I'm beautiful wink

Want2bSupermum Thu 07-Mar-13 18:44:46

Aldan That is so cute! It isn't mothers day here this weekend but I will def try to get DH to celebrate.

Cackle I passed out last night at 8.30pm on the sofa with DS. DH came down from studying and found the dishwasher half loaded and both of us snoring away. When DH woke me up I was all over the place as I thought it was time for another feed. My last memory was loading the dishwasher. I guess I did a feed with DS but don't remember feeding him.

Another day indoors as snow flurries all day. I HAVE CABIN FEVER!

CalamityJ Thu 07-Mar-13 22:24:17

I think I jinxed things with my weather comment as it's been dreadful ever since. Went out today for the first time since Monday to get some BF advice and I'm so glad I did. My boobs were enormous and uncomfortable! Fed her this evening and I feel so much better. Has anyone else had the weird thing of feeding on one boob and the other one is sitting there dripping in sympathy?

bangersmashandbeans Fri 08-Mar-13 01:19:58

Calamity I get that too! I keep feeding DS on one side and when I burp him realising his babygro is soaking wet from the other boob! The other weird thing is my boobs telling me when he's going to wake up - if he's had a long sleep I get shooting pains through my boobs (let down I guess?) right before he wakes up. The human body is really rather clever!

ImGoingToCountToThree Fri 08-Mar-13 11:18:56

Bangers I get that too, like a burning/sharp pain even when I think about feeding DD. it amazes me how your body knows when the next feed is due! The only problem I have is remembering which side I fed from last sometimes....sometimes it's glaringly obvious with one boob massive grin

I have a sore boob today like its bruised, feel like I've been punched in the side of it. I'm predominant it's a blocked duct so have been massaging it. Hope it helps.

How is everyone's partners/husbands with their little one? Do they help out lots? Have they bonded easily/quickly?

ImGoingToCountToThree Fri 08-Mar-13 11:19:52

Predominate = presume

Want2bSupermum Fri 08-Mar-13 13:15:34

counting DH helps out a lot but I had to train him with DD. If this is your first and they are not helping out you need to put your foot down. DH was ambivalent towards DD in the first couple of weeks until I made him take on a more hands on parenting role. He and DD have an amazing relationship.

IT IS BLOODY SNOWING! There are 3" on the ground. I HAVE CABIN FEVER. My godmother arrives tomorrow night. Tomorrow I will probably be in for most of the day too as DH is studying and we have our saviour come in to look afer DD as I still can't lift her. Hoping I can escape for a walk around the block while DS sleeps.

CalamityJ Fri 08-Mar-13 13:42:00

I was getting those shooting pains after I expressed as DD was getting worked up in the night & not feeding. Along with other symptoms the doctor has diagnosed thrush so we're both on medication. Felt so much better after expressing. Boobs felt less full & I was less upset that she was struggles to feed because she took the bottle easily. Two BFs this morning so I don't think I've spoilt her with the bottle.

As I had a c - section DH has had to be really hands on & I've only been doing one nappy change a day. He does the cooking anyway & it's just been the washing & drying I've been keeping on top of (who knew there'd be so much!) Picking DD up off the floor is the hardest thing.

NAR4 Fri 08-Mar-13 13:47:40

DH is great with my new DS and was great with all my other DCs. Never minds getting up in the night to wind DS when I am knackered. Happy to bath him, dress/undress him and change nappies, even pooey ones. Great at cooking tea and helping with housework too.

Weather here has been cold, wet and misty for the last couple of days. Hoping for nicer weather next week so I can start going for some walks (don't fancy it in the rain) to start burning off some of the extra fat I have accumilated during this pregnancy.

Aldan Sat 09-Mar-13 17:26:48

DS seems to be finding a feeding pattern now. He's feeding every 1.5-2 hours and sleeping in between. He's a lot more alert than DS1 was although DS1 was 10 days early and DS2 4 days late so that may be the difference???

Had to get the midwife out this morning. I took my dressing off last night and it was still bleeding. She came this morning and put a new dressing on. Got another midwife coming tomorrow to check it and maybe take the stitches out. It looks bad, a lot worse than my previous scar hmm

Anyone doing anything nice for mothers day tomorrow? Midwife said I've been doing too much and I'm not allowed out for a few days hmm

Aldan Sun 10-Mar-13 17:03:05

DS is a week old today, time is flying too fast!

Aldan Mon 11-Mar-13 16:32:38

I spoke too soon about the beginnings of a feeding routine, DS fed from 8pm to 2am, he woke everytime I put him in his cot. I'm soooo tired today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now