Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

February 2013?

(292 Posts)
KeepTryin Wed 13-Feb-13 00:09:26

Is there a born in February 2013 group yet? I didn't manage to keep up with the antenatal threads so thought I'd get a head start on the postnatal threads before I've even had baby! wink

bangersmashandbeans Tue 26-Feb-13 20:00:54

I'mgoing you've just said exactly how I feel! 15 days in and the guilt is still really hard and makes me pretty emotional at times. DD is really good at entertaining herself but I hate sitting on my butt feeding whilst I watch her. DS has a horrible cold so not sleeping brilliantly (never more than two hours at night) and I'm exhausted and know I'm being unnecessarily snappy too sad

PickledInAPearTree Tue 26-Feb-13 22:50:51

Ok let's all agree the sibling guilt must be a phase we are going through and go easy on ourselves. If rather have a brother or sister and a bit extra c beebies than no sister or brother. They are probably chuffed with the extra telly it's us that is concerned!

I feel a bit better today. I've been working as I'm self employed I've cut down a lot but am keen to keep one client so trying to fit it in ! Grim.

Ds1 in nursery though so I did manage some chores and some tv time too.

Just preparing self for the endurance test which is nighttime! Once more into the breach. Argh !

PickledInAPearTree Tue 26-Feb-13 23:09:55

Oh bangers I have the tell take signs that Barry is going to have a new chum soon. Gutted. Decided I'm going to ask in 6 week check and brave showing my bum.

blush

Marcheline Wed 27-Feb-13 18:30:36

I went out today! Major triumph. I managed to get the three of us ready in time to get dd1 to nursery, then came back to get DH and went out. I even breastfed in the baby area at John lewis without crying, which made me feel really positive and like I can crack the bf.

I picked up som nipple guard things as well, they are great! I'd never seen them before but I think they are letting the air get to my nipples so that they can heal. Also, I am no liger getting stuck to breast pads and having to unpeel myself every feed, which is amazing. I hope there's no downside to them, does anyone know anything more about them?

I'm taking myself off to the bf clinic tomorrow as well so hopeful for some tips for latching.

The baby seems to be settling into a bit of a routine and goig for lover between feeds - she's only a week old so I'm worried that it will get harder again. Dd1 was a bit of a nightmare so I'm scared of trusting this too much. I can't remember what to expect but if we get into a bit of a routine now is it going to stick?

bangersmashandbeans Wed 27-Feb-13 19:59:57

Congrats March! Chalk today up as a success! Isn't sad how just leaving the house becomes a major achievement in the early days post childbirth?! Sounds like your poorly nipples might be on the mend too. I remember mine sticking to the breast pads with DD and its horrible!
Good luck tonight everyone, I'm in desperate need of sleep so fingers crossed! Health visitor has okayed DS sleeping in his bouncer until his congestion clears so feeling a lot better about that as it made such a difference last night but thought I'd get told off!

Marcheline Wed 27-Feb-13 20:56:43

Good luck tonight bangers, I hope the bouncer works again and you get some decent sleep.

bangersmashandbeans Wed 27-Feb-13 21:15:28

Off to bed now so thank you smile

PickledInAPearTree Wed 27-Feb-13 21:39:42

Sounds like you are turning a corner March and hope you get some sleep Bangers.

I have the sticking to the breast pad thing, a friend lent me the most comfy bra though a mothercare sleep nursing bra and it supportive enough to wear in the day Ive ordered some.

It hard work this breastfeeding lark isnt it. I feel like I dont like it right now but I know it will (hopefully) get better.

Hope you all have a good night!

NAR4 Thu 28-Feb-13 15:19:42

To all you ladies that are finding breastfeeding difficult, it does get much much easier. Vaseline is great for sore and/or craked nipples and can just be wipped off before each feed. Perfectly safe for baby. Don't waste lots of money buying expensive nipple creams such as Lancombe, vaseline is just as good.

Day 5 now and don't remember feeling so battered and bruised after any of my other DCs being born. Walking is still very painful as is getting up/down, trying to pick up anything off the floor. Pretty much moving in general.

DH goes back to work on Monday and I am quietly concerned about managing the school run, all the housework, a toddler and baby, by myself. Never felt this rough, for this long after birth before and just bounced back within days. Hoping for a miracle recovery before the weekend is over.

DS wants to feed all night long, so is sleeping in our bed, but DD is feeling a bit green and is also insisting on sleeping with us, so bed time is not the most comfortable.

Don't want to wish away these precious early weeks but I am looking forward to everything settling down and getting into the swing of things.

Forgot (somehow) about this awful stage where nothing fits. Maternity clothes are too baggy and own clothes are much too small. Currently wearing maternity clothes and slightly resemble a clown.

Haven't had any baby blues at all and send all the best to those that have, it is horrid until it passes.

CackleALot Sat 02-Mar-13 09:28:43

Hi Ladies, switching over from antenatal thread...joining in with emotion roller coaster, night feeds, guilt and painful bums!

My little girl was born via VBAC on 26th so day 4 here. I have to say its very comforting to hear I'm not the only one feeling all of the above! I'm so lucky to have parents up for few days so atleast I don't have to feel guilty re DS being occupied for now!

Really struggling with massive piles which seems to be the cause of me breaking into tears at any given moment for now. It feels like they'll never go. Just want them gone so can feel a bit more normal sad

BFing going OK, was having painful latch on too but have found if I hand express a little before feed it helps. I used nipple shields last time and have them on standby this time too!

My hat is off to all of you managing to get out & about already!

Hope everyone doing ok

Wheels79 Sat 02-Mar-13 09:37:23

Waves at everyone. I meant to post before but this having a newborn thing is hard. And since we are now officially bottle feeding with breat top up (rather than the other way round despite best efforts) I don't have a spare hand during feeding to use my phone/laptop. Is it bad that this was on my list of reasons why I wanted to continue trying breast feeding?

I think that so far DS is being kind to us re sleep. Only a couple of bad nights so far. Other challenges though like:
1) 6 day gap between bowel movements requiring weekend hospital trip for suppository (10 mins later we knew about poo)
2) Conjuntivitis requiring prescrption eye drops. We are not good at getting those in.
3) Cut on leg becuase we used a nappy too big for him and it rubbed (now healing but HV and DMIL questions - the HV was more relaxed about it)

Marcheline when I do BF I use nipple shields because on one side that's the only way he'll latch on and now he's used to them (and the bottle) I need them for both sides. The BF midwife was supportive because we were desperate and said that it can be worked on later. I agree it does protect nipples a bit but they can still misshape your nipples if they aren't sucking properly (my experience).

Wheels79 Sat 02-Mar-13 09:48:48

Oh yeah issues on my front:

1) I now have a nice external pile (now in retreat) constipation and wind due to iron tablets/lactulose combo.
2) One of my stiches broke and I had a small infection so antibiotics
3) After nearly three weeks my at least daily tears are only now more likely to be due to overwhelming feelings of love than dispair that I'll ever be able to look after the screaming newborn.
4) I have lost my glasses and baby brain is stopping me find them. In fact baby brain generally.

MissTiredAndGrumpy Sat 02-Mar-13 12:22:08

Hello - can I join here please !? I need a bit of peer support from sane individuals in the same position as me - my DD was born early on the 16th of Feb, and am struggling with managing her and my DS (2.5years). Added to it all, we have recently emigrated back from South Africa after a disasterous 11 month sojourn as farmers, and are now living with my inlaws as our house is let!! help! hormonal and trying to keep a brave face - lovely people my inlaws, but just can;t be a slob in my jammies and weep in sheer exhaustion.

phew.... that was a lot of info all at once.... sorry everyone!

ImGoingToCountToThree Sat 02-Mar-13 16:48:09

Hello everyone and a warm welcome to all the new ones who have found us.

Just had a quick catch up, Bangers hope your DS is feeling better now and you are getting a bit more sleep.

March- hope the nips are healing smile mine are a little tender at the moment but that's due to DD's frequency of feeding, I think maybe she thinks she is a sheep as she prefers to graze all day rather than big feeds.
I'm trying to get out of the house more as she goes longer when we are out and about. Hopefully she will get in to the habit of taking more at each feed, rather than 5 mins then falling asleep and wanting more 30 mins later confused
During the night she goes at least 3 hours though so I'm grateful for that.

bangersmashandbeans Sat 02-Mar-13 18:17:38

Grrrr just wrote a long post and lost it! (Feeding DS and bathing DD at the same time...probably shouldn't be MNing at the same time!!!) Will update in a while but hi everyone!

bangersmashandbeans Sat 02-Mar-13 20:33:14

I'll try again shall I!
Sorry to hear some of you are struggling with BF, it really is such a tough time which no one really appreciates unless they've been through it. It is good to know we're all having similar emotions though, the guilt being a major one for me. Getting used to it though (DS is 3 weeks today) and am making the most of his long daytime sleeps to play with DD (housework going awry as a result but I don't care!)
Thanks for the concern about the dreaded piles - not good news sad. Saw the colorectal consultant this week and he's confirmed I will need an operation. It'll most likely be a full hemorrhoidectomy which is meant to be horrendously painful with a long recovery so I'm absolutely dreading it. Having a colonoscopy in 4 weeks (camera up the bum) which will confirm.
Hope you ladies are getting better day by day, my tears have been on hold for a week now so things are on the up! smile

Ninjacat Sun 03-Mar-13 15:04:49

Congratulations everyone.
Pearl Annie Cinnamon arrived 11:18am on feb 21st by c sec weighing 9lb 13oz.
Exhausted still but getting there.
Baby easy. 3yr old emotional wreck. He is very gentle with his little sister though so could be worse.
Hoping to find some normality soon.

CackleALot Sun 03-Mar-13 16:41:56

AW Bangers you must be in so much pain with piles and prospect of surgery must be awful, I started suppositories today.

CackleALot Sun 03-Mar-13 16:43:43

Congratulations ninjacat - lovely name smile

Wheels79 Mon 04-Mar-13 10:14:45

I have a limpet today. He's not given me much sleep overnight and screams if I put him down. Might have to be a day in my nightie today!

bangersmashandbeans Mon 04-Mar-13 11:11:51

Nowt wrong with a PJ day! Wish I could, alas instead I'm using baby's nap time to sit in a make shift camp with DD, along with all the teddies, all the plastic food, 9 rugby balls and a plastic train. So relaxing...

hildainstant Mon 04-Mar-13 11:54:56

Ninja, I'm finding my 2.5yo is struggling too. He's waking in the night, something he's not done for a long time, and only I can reassure him - think he needs to know I'm still there for him, poor sausage. He's also given up his daytime naps (aaaarrrghhhh!) and has numerous emotional meltdowns during the day for the most rediculous reasons - again not like him as he's a calm, laid back little boy who's usually no trouble at all!

DH is at times coming down on him like a tonne of bricks where I'm trying to be more 'nurturing' and help him to understand why he's crying and why he can't do certain things etc - after all he's only 2 weeks into no longer being the sole focus of everyones attention. anyone any experience and/or words of wisdom?

Aldan Mon 04-Mar-13 16:35:43

DS2 has arrived smile. He was born in the early hours of yesterday morning. Went into labour naturally but ended up with a CS due to a number of reasons, failure to progress, previous section scar close to rupturing, and baby being back to back. After theatre, consultant came and said I'd had no chance of a VBAC and things could've been a lot lot worse. Glad he's here safe and well. He's the image of his big brother grin

CackleALot Mon 04-Mar-13 19:35:31

Congratulations Aldan all sounds a bit traumatic but glad you didn't have to wait until wed!

Want2bSupermum Tue 05-Mar-13 01:15:00

Aldan Glad to hear you and your DS made it. You must be exhausted.

I am shocked at how quick my recovery has been from my CS. I managed to go to a neighbours house with DD (19 months) for a party on Sunday night while DH stayed home with DS. I stopped taking pain killers on Saturday as I couldn't feel when I was overdoing it.

We have had issues with feeding. I gave up BF because DS was born at 10lb 6oz and eats a lot. He was started on supplemental feeds due to losing 1lb and since I am returning to work in 7 weeks, I don't see how I am going to be able to keep up with pumping while at clients. My employer are supportive but I am just not comfortable running out to pump every 3hrs or so. I also found bf to be very tiring this time. With DD my milk never came in because of complications. It was a huge relief that it came in this time.

My friend gave me a pot of motherlove nipple cream. It is the best thing for sore nipples. I can recommend it highly enough.

hilda My DD (19 months) has temper tantrums on a regular basis. We have had some success with the 1,2,3 magic technique which my godmother in Canada suggested (she works with SEN). It is similiar to the supernanny timeout but not as severe. It has really helped us handle DD's tantrums. For us the strict and nurturing approaches didn't work at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now