Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

February 2013?

(292 Posts)
KeepTryin Wed 13-Feb-13 00:09:26

Is there a born in February 2013 group yet? I didn't manage to keep up with the antenatal threads so thought I'd get a head start on the postnatal threads before I've even had baby! wink

NAR4 Sun 21-Jul-13 15:29:51

Feeling mostly alright now, thanks Alan. Children all off school for summer holidays, so now have help with a lot more common sense. Never realised how great at helping my children were until my hired help was so clueless.

My baby ds is far from sleeping through the night, but my 2yr old dd still doesn't sleep through, so I'm not surprised. My ds and dd can both get up by 6am and go all day with ds maybe having a brief sleep in the car, on the school run and still not go to bed until 8pm. It must be something I do to them because all my children manage with very little sleep.

irismom Fri 26-Jul-13 14:16:52

Anyone started weaning yet?
what are you started with? how does it go? how did you continue? give the same thing next day or try a different thing altogether?
Please anyone help me with this, mine is 5 months and two days today.

PeanutButter1 Sat 27-Jul-13 21:56:54

Ooooh hello! I am new to MN and as the kid was born on Feb 16 this seems like a good thread to park myself on. Things he likes: being awake, my boobs
Things he doesn't like: sleep, burping, done a big u-turn on baths.
There we go.

newboo Tue 30-Jul-13 21:17:19

Hiya, new on here also, i had my very chilled baby boy on 26th & thought it would be nice to chat to other ma's. He's doing well with weaning, loves his food smile sleeps through, naps well, rolling over & a total delight! I'm very lucky (as we all are!)!! smile

Iris- weaning going well for us, we took it slow- just a bit of baby rice initially around 11 am then after a week or so build up new tastes. I started around 4 months, baba was so ready for food! He's now on a bit of porridge in morning, veg & fruit purée at lunch, bit of mashed fruit for tea. Plus 4 bottles. Following his lead really, gonna give him soft finger food soon smile
Suggest: try things individually in morning on their own just to show for any reactions/allergies. After that can mix together. Only fruit & veg before 6 months, water in cup during meals too!

CackleALot Thu 01-Aug-13 19:54:38

Hi newboo & peanut smile New my dd was born on 26th too!

Nar glad to hear you're doing well.
All OK here, I think we've finally cracked the bottle! Thanks for all your suggestions. She started taking mam dummy so tried mam bottle as teat flatter. she's now getting one bottle a day to help reduce my supply before return to work.

Not started weaning here yet, bought baby rice & porridge today though.

Took did & D's camping a couple of weeks ago which was actually a success!! grin

NAR4 Fri 02-Aug-13 22:47:19

Hi iris I haven't started weaning yet but with dc4 I just gave her finger size pieces of food to feed to herself. That went really well and was so much easier than spooning in puree like I did with my older dcs. I intend to do the finger foods with this ds. You can give them pretty much everything except honey and nuts, by the time they are 6 months. The beauty of finger foods is they just sit at the table with the rest of the family and feed themselves. No preparing anything different for them either. Think it is called baby led weaning' and there is loads of stuff on the internet about it.

Does anyone's baby have teeth yet? My ds has been suffering terribly but none have cut through yet. I've even resorted to an amber necklace shock

Just started crawling a couple of days ago but not zooming round the room yet, more slowly moving along to get a toy and then moving onto the next one when he has had enough of that one.

Ds has a nice head of hair now and is looking much older. Can't believe how quick the time has gone.

Most of my baby weight has finally gone but I have been left with a mummy tummy that the physio doesn't think will go, due to muscle seperation (caused by my last pregnancy). Luckily my dh thinks it looks cuteconfused

newboo Sat 03-Aug-13 08:52:58

hi cackle, all the best babies are born on 26th ;) well done on the camping- I haven't braved a trip away yet!! Any tips for travelling with bubs?
nar well done on losing the weight, I'm with you on the mummy tummy we'll just have to hide embrace our new found "curves" ;)

I highly recommend 'Weaning Made Easy" by Rana Conway. Explains spoon feeding & baby led weaning, and how to combine, meal plans, lots & lots of tips.

Aldan Sun 04-Aug-13 07:10:26

Morning everyone. We are just back from a few days in Wales. We stayed with friends and it was just me and my 2 DSs DH was working. DS2 decided he wouldn't sleep in his travel cot at all or sleep in the day so he ended up in bed with me every night so I didn't get much sleep at all. He's now 5 months and has been sleeping through 12 hours a night since 8 weeks so it was a bit of a shock to the system blush. Going away again on Thursday for 3 nights so I'm slightly dreading it now. wine And brew are needed!

Weaning is going well, this kid loves his food just like his big brother! We are doing baby led weaning s NAR4 said its so much easier than purees. He has toast/crumpets for breakfast, cheese sandwich for lunch, and a bit of whatever we are having for dinner. He is a bit young for it according to the HV but he's doing really well and loving everything he has grin

NAR4 Mon 12-Aug-13 17:16:32

Started giving ds solids at the weekend. He has loved it so far and has already tried carrots, strawberries, pea pods, Yorkshire pudding, toast, egg and toast.

Crawling everywhere now and sometimes with speed (usually when I have dropped something I don't want him to have). Need to get the older dcs back into the habit of shutting the stair gate again, as found him at the bottom of the stairs today after leaving him a few minutes to get dd a drink.

He has started to sit himself up now as well, but still no sign of teeth.

Camping at the end of the school holidays is certainly going to be fun!

NAR4 Mon 12-Aug-13 17:18:09

Meant to say lamb rather than toast again. Got distracted by dd part way through typing.

Want2bSupermum Wed 14-Aug-13 20:11:28

Hi everyone. Its been a while but been rather busy with everything. DS is doing well. At 4 months they put him on a diet because he was 19lbs. He was also 27" and I have already switched his clothes out for the 1yr old stuff.

DD is doing really well with accepting him. I have found it tough to give each child enough attention. DD is going through the terrible 2's so 99% of my focus seems to go in her direction. It kills me that DS goes down at 7pm.

NAR - glad to hear you are better.

NAR4 Thu 15-Aug-13 20:19:00

Wow sounds a very big boy supermum. My ds is wearing 9-12m clothes and I thought he was big. He weighs 20lb now, at 5.5m. I dream of my D's going down at 7pm. Maybe we could get our babies to swap their sleeping habits.

Want2bSupermum Thu 15-Aug-13 22:40:25

NAR - Hell no to swapping sleeping habits.

I am working 12+hr days and I am tired as once they go down I am working until midnight and then up at 5am with the babies. I have breakfast with them and play for half an hour before heading off to work. I just had my eyes done too so no more glasses. I can't hide the bags under my eyes behind glasses anymore!

DH and my FIL are 6'4" and 6"6" so I expect DS will be tall too.

HickeryDickery Mon 19-Aug-13 22:49:54

hi

I was on the anti natal thread but since NC.

I had DD after a traumatic induction ended in crash section as my labour never started, babies heart rate dropped and my health, baby was born healthy on 1st Feb.

she has been a trerrible feeder and in and out of hospital with severe projectile vomiting, poor weight gain, and pain then as she got older it was too much weight gain.

finally 6 months later she has been diagnosed with allergies one main one to cow milk protein, she's had her milk changed she is stopping vomiting unless she has food that I believe she has an allergy to as she shows signs of it, I've just got to wait until we see the consultant.

she is a giggly happy, smiley baby and loves her big sister the bond between them is amazing.

DD2 started sleeping all night when she was put in DD1's room so they share.

DD2 currently in age 12-18month clothes, she's just started rolling over, got no teeth and nowhere near crawling.

we started weaning at 4months as the drs believed she had severe reflux, we persevered for 2months when she was not even eating a spoon full. at 6months we give her green beans off my plate and she loved them.
she loves green beans, carrot sticks (got to be sticks), apples and banana and bread/toast. if we give her puree she spits it at us and cries, she does love her porridge though.

NAR4 Wed 21-Aug-13 15:16:56

Sounds like you have had a nightmare of a time so far Hickory. My eldest had terrible vomiting for about 9 months before the drs worked out he was lactose intolerant. For some reason he would never eat puree either. Even at 17 he still won't eat things of that kind of consistency eg custard, mash potato, stew, soup or any sauce or gravy. I wonder if there is a connection! Hope things start getting easier for you soon.

D's is already starting to progress from crawling to pulling himself up on the furniture and prefers crawling on his feet and hands to his knees and hands. Today he worked out he could walk, pushing his sisters little chair along for support. His bothers were all early walkers and I'm hoping he will be too. I find they are much more content once they can get around well, by themselves.

Still waking 4-5 times a night but has more naps during the day since getting mobile. No sign of any teeth.

Got the all clear from the hospital on Monday (following my downstairs repair). Can finally get on with normal life. Trying to squeeze in as much as possible with the children now, before the older ones return to school in a couple of weeks.

PeanutButter1 Thu 22-Aug-13 19:32:17

Little dude is now officially 6 months and has no teeth, can roll on his front but not back again, can't grip finger food and isn't sleeping through.

I love my little under-achiever regardless...

Want2bSupermum Fri 23-Aug-13 03:12:32

Hickory Welcome and bless you. It is tough when you have a sick child. I would push for the consultant appointment. DS had horrible spit up for the first 4 months. It is better now but not much. Here in the US they called us back for a check up and his was sent to an allergist the following day to rule out any issues. It helped to put my mind at rest more than anything else.

Other news is that I wasn't promoted in the end and I am happy I wasn't. It would have been far too much for me and I would have been terrible at my job or to be decent at it I would have to give up too much family wise.

irismom Thu 29-Aug-13 14:34:10

Hello everyone.. lONG TIME..Sorry, I always want to check how you guys are doing, but caught up with many things.
Went for 4 days holiday to Scotland at the beginning of Aug, And Ever since, DS is so hungry. I started giving him solids 2 weeks before he turned 6 months. Still on pureed stage. I am reading everywhere about BLW, but cant get my head around that, esply to give him finger foods. But WOuld like to start sooner. How do you do the carrots? not very soft? dont they shove everything into the mouth together?? Loads of qns !!!
Tried some Breakfast and cereals and DS got rashes all over his cheeks, neck. HV asked me to try Lactose Free Milk(SMA) and dint help much. Turns out he is allergic/intolerant. Due for a GP appoinment.
He is getting up At 1am (after a 10.30pm feed) and then at 3 am then 4.30am and then 6 am!! gosh, Am tired everyday!! HOw do you guys managed those good sleeping habits?
BTW can we move to FaceBook please. I think We will check that more often. I accidently joined April2013 (dc1 is in April, n got confused) and I Cant blv how well they are sharing pictures and news!!!!.. it is more personal and I am jealous sad
Please, please can we have one??

NAR4 Thu 29-Aug-13 22:03:26

peanut I don't think your DC is an underachiever. Babies all develop at massively different rates. No one cares by the time they start pre-school. Think my little one just has incentive to hurry up and get off the floor, with 4 older siblings.

iris I am very tired as my youngest 2dc are both rubbish sleepers. I have never managed to get any of my DC to be good sleepers. Facebook sounds nice but someone else would need to set it up and tell us what the page is called. I have no idea how to do anything like that.

NAR4 Thu 29-Aug-13 22:11:14

iris I cut the carrots into fingers and give raw carrots that have been in the fridge, for teething and part cooked sticks to eat. Not sure if baby led weaning works as well for bottle fed babies and can't remember which you do (sorry). Breast fed babies don't suck so they only bite and chew bits of food off. If they do get a lump to the back of their throat they have a great gage reflex that brings it back out. Just don't panicked and start trying to hook the food out. The idea is you let the baby put food in their mouth themselves and don't feed them yourself, but can't remember exactly why. Something along the lines of, if they haven't got the dexterity to pick it up and get it in their mouth, then they aren't ready to eat it. Its not for everyone and my dh finds it quite worrying and stresses they will choke. He prefers me to supervise until they get a bit older and he isn't constantly worrying they might choke any minute.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Sep-13 11:40:23

hello ladies - sorry to butt in but I am looking for MNers to take part in an online group next week about weaning.
I'm specifically looking for first time parents with a baby aged 4-10 mnths who are starting to think about or wean onto solid food.
There's a prize draw for taking part. I can send you full details if you PM me smile
thanks very much......

irismom Tue 03-Sep-13 17:58:23

Nar4 that says it.
I tried with cooked carrots and the moment he grabs and half way to his mouth, it got squished and falling out of his hands. He was so frustrated and was angrily talking to carr0ts yest smile
he like to eat things like lentils and today i tried butternut squash, i put it in my hands and he tried to put in his mouth, i helped too. pureeing it is not that FUN for him. he eats. I think I will have to find more about finger foods. Off to google it smile

irismom Tue 03-Sep-13 18:04:20

* Attention Ladies*

Anyone interested in making this a FB group. It is so quite in here, and i sometimes think, we are not getting in touch as we were doing i-n the early dayz. FB may help, as everyone has got that on phone now, and is easier.
Let me know your thoughts.. Otherwise please come everyday here, to make this more active ( just kidding ..)

Back to the FB, group, I think we need a few members as friends to start with(to create a group, need members), so please feel free to send request, to -DEEPA THOMAS, Ascot, UK- will take it from there. please mention Mumsnet, when you do so, just for me to know

Thank you all

irismom Thu 05-Sep-13 12:50:12

* FB group - Mumsnet Feb2013-- Please join in and lets meet and chat there.. *
Thank you

irismom Thu 05-Sep-13 12:51:10

mumsnet Feb2013

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now