Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - More group hugs and moral support please

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Fri 08-Feb-13 23:19:17

Oh and I guilty of J falling asleep I his chair to tv, only ever grown up programmes though, in fact I think he thinks Frasier is his dad, he cries when it finishes blush

PetiteRaleuse Sat 09-Feb-13 16:40:09

The TV is often on here as I like background noise. DD1 pretty much ignores it. LO squirms to try and be able to watch it. I'm not anti or pro TV as far as children are concerned as long as they don't sit glued to it for hours on end at the expense of doing more interesting things like sport and imaginative play and reading. CBeebies is brilliant and the main reason that I got UK TV set up here as French children's TV is dire.

Kyzordz Sat 09-Feb-13 16:50:11

E is a tv addict, I hadn't really sat him to watch it at all but he noticed it anyway so now he has cbeebies on for 20 mins in a morning so I can get dressed. It's always on for background noise and he often watches it but if he's playing I'll turn it off. I'm thinking it's not like he's an older child constantly glued to it, he's a baby and as far as he's concerned it's colourful and noisy so he likes it. I usually have normal stuff on but I do put cartoons on for him sometimes like when I really want a hot meal for once

Elizadoesdolittle Sat 09-Feb-13 16:56:18

I'm still ebf. Mainly due to the fact E won't take a bottle otherwise I would probably be mix feeding by now, it at least giving one bottle of formula before bed. I have stopped expressing for a little while. Was getting all a bit much. Luckily I haven't had any troubles bf otherwise god knows what I'd have done. Hats off to those of you that have struggled and persisted.

ValiumQueen Sat 09-Feb-13 16:58:01

J enjoys Peppa Pig, Jesse, or Downton Abbey with equal measure. It is all about lights and movement and noise at this age. TV can be useful especially when you have more than one, or need a few minutes to do something. The only time J is say facing the TV though is when I put the girls to bed. It will hold him for a few minutes.

StuntNun Sat 09-Feb-13 17:13:22

Chick you'll only be breastfeeding two or three times a day at 11-12 months so it would be easy to keep feeding morning and evening. You might not need formula at all as she can have cow's milk while you're at work from 12 months.

J has had a bath so his head is temporarily free from scaly cradle cap. I hope he decides to go to bed before 11 today. Last night he stayed up watching Dredd with DH and I. He also watched a bit of the Following today while DS1 and DS2 were at Wreck-It Ralph with the next-door neighbour. He's going to like scary movies at this rate. I don't think I could stand another baby's worth of Dora the Explorer but quite pleased to see there's a new series of Octonauts on CBeebies especially as DS2 already has the toys.

L noticed the tv when the Australian Open was on and since then he is transfixed when he sees it. I don't put kids tv on but he has been subjected to some crappy daytime viewing.

I think as long as it's part of a balanced diet of tv/books/games etc it doesn't do any harm. Most of my friends' kids love screens of any kind but are pretty well rounded. Not in a physical sense.

TheDetective Sat 09-Feb-13 17:24:33

LOL @ pretty well rounded grin.

Seems we are all along the same lines then!

I did however turn Oscar away and distract him at the sad bits that make me cry in the lion king. He's too young for that yet grin.

Am jealous that I'm stuck home now, with everyone else getting to watch Wreck It Ralph. Damn it! I'll go on my own!

Brockle Sat 09-Feb-13 17:48:28

Y likes watching football sad We have cbeebies on after the boys are dressed in the morning and Y seems to like octonauts, chuggington and bob the builder.

got out the 3 - 6 clothes. He has loads! so now surfing eBay for summer 6 - 9 clothes to cover the barren SMP months

BigPigLittlePig Sat 09-Feb-13 17:52:15

Dsd has returned from her party singing "come and join the conker, oo oo ooooh" hmm - a seasonal version perhaps??

BigPigLittlePig Sat 09-Feb-13 17:53:05

Oh and we watch Mary Poppins here, finally sky plussed it over Christmas - guaranteed to send me to sleep even though it's one of my favourite ever films

PetiteRaleuse Sat 09-Feb-13 17:56:41

They grow slower from about four months so clothes last longer brockle

Stunt DH and I have been watching the Following. BRILLIANT isn't it?!

PetiteRaleuse Sat 09-Feb-13 17:57:34

I have to buy Annie, Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music for the DDs. I am a big musical fan and they are good to start the brainwashing with grin

Dottie has one bottle of formula a day either at bedtime with me or with the childminder, as I go to full time uni that will increase but I will still bf her when we are together - I always thought I'd be happy to wean and stop bf at 6 mths but that's not long and even if it's only bedtime feed I'd like to carry on as long as she does.

Tv - we have virgin boxes in all rooms -ds likes football and sport so has it for that, dd1 likes sponge bob, Disney etc... Which I hate so she has an hour in her room each evening and we got it in bedroom so I can watch crap while feeding or come up here and sulk if dh is being a knob without missing Enders!!!

Popped to town today with dh to try and clear bad headache - twunts at natwest have blocked his card and account for no apparent reason except we were in Manchester at the weekend -knobs - I hate natwest with a passion!!!!

Headache still here so had a snooze in bed while Dottie napped in car seat until divvy dh brought her up in cars eat and banged it in doorway -knob!!!!

I'm attempting to start reading again!!!

TheDetective Sat 09-Feb-13 18:12:17

I'd forgotten this quote from Lion King 'before sunrise, he's your son'. Will try that one tomorrow morning wink.

And, 'they call me Mr Pig'... teehehehe!

Brockle Sat 09-Feb-13 18:13:37

that is what I am hoping PR although that wasn't the case with DS2 smile I could do with him staying in 3 - 6 until august!

StuntNun Sat 09-Feb-13 18:21:29

The Following is compelling viewing PR but not quite gory enough for my taste (Walking Dead, True Blood, etc.) Do you think the FBI woman in charge of the investigation is in on it or is that too obvious? Elementary has started again which is pretty good but I'll have to get my assigned West Wing episodes watched first!

We love The Following here. smile

ValiumQueen Sat 09-Feb-13 18:50:28

No Following spoilers please. I have yet to see this weeks episode. It is fab. I find walking dead just too gory, although I heart Dexter!

PetiteRaleuse Sat 09-Feb-13 18:53:13

Nah I think she's a goodie. It would be far too obvious and I would be disappointed if she is a follower. I have yet to finish the wire. Next up is West Wing. The latest Dexter is being trailed so looking fwd to that. Is it so very wrong that he is my secret crush?

LO having v bad evening. Lots of tears. Not eaten much. Other than a bit of a runny nose and rare coughs, no symptoms. Just gave her an hour nappy free time. Both my daughters have pissed on me today. Being a mum is so glamourous. <peers at unplucked eyebrows in reflection of wineglass>

yep. Yummy mummies need not fear competition from moi.

PetiteRaleuse Sat 09-Feb-13 18:54:17

Ooh I hope that wasn't a spoiler, but I think if you saw the 2nd episode you'd be ok on that.

PurplePidjin Sat 09-Feb-13 19:04:26

wineenvy

StuntNun Sat 09-Feb-13 19:13:30

Not a spoiler VQ it was episode 2 where she seemed to have a bit of a moment when she handed over the Poe book to Joe Carroll.

BigPigLittlePig Sat 09-Feb-13 19:17:02

Glamour = being weed on pre-bath. Post-bath being fed, I hear a gurgle, smell a terrible eggy smell and see an accompanying poonami escaping from her nappy. Luckily for her she paused in her feeding to beam at me! \

This is not how I used to spend my Saturday nights hmm

Pikz Sat 09-Feb-13 19:23:57

Had a lovely day with friends and a LO a year and a day older than L. A little view into the future!

Then I went and bought formula... I felt a sense of relief. Today I've just expressed what I could when I could without pressure. I feel like a different person. Am so determined to enjoy him and my little family now. I am so pleased with what I have managed and I've got to 3 months. That's a good enough start for me.

Also managed to change all the boxes of size 2 nappies I bought never believing my tiny 7lb baby would be 15lb at 11 weeks!

This thread is not accepting new messages.