Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FEB 2010 Three is a magic number, yes it is......

(999 Posts)

Come and take shelter from the DC here, folks!

<offers tiffin, millionaire shortbread and other forbidden goodies>

NK2b1f2 Mon 25-Feb-13 15:53:31

Thanks for all the ideas for dd2's dry skin. Now I just need to actually remember to put something on her face...

IC Hope your dd feels better today. How is ds doing with trying real food? I hope he will try absolutely everything you put in front of him and dd feels inspired to become more adventurous watching him munch away smile

StoneBaby Mon 25-Feb-13 17:26:32

SR I'm fine about DS going nappy free at night but I know the dry mornings are more accidental than on purpose

I use aveeno too with DS.

Screaming kid, need to go

NK2b1f2 Mon 25-Feb-13 17:36:39

I've never come across aveeno. Just checked online though and wonder if there's one for children or do you all just use the standard one?

StoneBaby Mon 25-Feb-13 17:41:35

I use the standard one.

ScienceRocks Mon 25-Feb-13 18:01:02

There isn't one for children specifically. Many people say it's wonderful, but it doesn't work for me and my girls. Funny that different emollients suit different people...

NK2b1f2 Mon 25-Feb-13 18:51:06

SR I know, it's difficult not to spend a lot of money on things that turn out to be the wrong thing... I'll have a look at aveeno next time I am shopping smile but I guess my main problem is that I forget to use it.

Just told dd2 that tomorrow is a nursery day and got an excited 'Yeah!'. Still getting used to enthusiams rather than howling!

NK2b1f2 Mon 25-Feb-13 18:51:46

'enthusiasm' My hands refuse to type what my brain thinks! confused

Bearcrumble Mon 25-Feb-13 19:38:38

I put DS's name down for an extra session at nursery and one came up quicker than I thought it would. From next week he'll be doing mon pm, weds pm and all day Fri. (all day is 9am til 3pm and half days are midday til 3). Seeing as he spends all Thurs with my mum do you think it is too much time apart? I am a much nicer mummy on the days he goes to nursery for 3 hours - more patient and give him more attention as I know we'll have the break. He does really like it there plus as baby gets older my mum can have her for part of Thurs so we can have time alone. We also have me and him alone time for 45 mins before bed as dh has dd downstairs while we chat and have stories.

ClimbingPenguin Mon 25-Feb-13 19:40:05

do you think it is too much time apart?

Nope

Also nope Bc smile

DH and I now suspect DD's upchuck was another stress reaction - maybe delayed reaction to nursery school, despite the good week. Maybe because she was unsettled by the gig we took her to (she really isn't good with new experiences) or who knows? Anyway, I'm going to play "nursery school" with her tomorrow and hope it'll help her get enthusiastic again. This anxiety thing is a head-fuck, though. I talked to DD tonight about thinking of things that make her feel happy if she finds herself thinking about things that make her feel sad or scared. She was quite taken by that idea....

PS not much enthusiasm for food from DS yet, unfortunately...!! Early days, though (his expression when he had broccoli in his mouth tonight was priceless...)

StoneBaby Mon 25-Feb-13 20:00:53

bc DS is full time at nursery/pre school. 7.30am to 3.45pm daily. So if your DS is enjoying it and it's giving you somw breathing time, go for it.

IC good luck with palying 'school' tomorrow.

DS had a complete meltdown at swimming yesterday, refusing to leave me confused This is really unlike him. The only thing I can think of is that on Saturday when we went for fun, a grouup of 10ish years old were messing around and he ended up soaked by them. As a result I think he may have felt scared... So from next week, I'm introducing a sticker chart for going swimming by himself (and if needed will do that for the pre-school swimming too)....

NK2b1f2 Mon 25-Feb-13 20:52:52

BC Don't think it's too much especially if he enjoys it smile. dd2 is going three days 9 to 3 (or usually 8 to 3 including breakfast club, and if needed one day until 4 in after school care together with dd1) and I think it is the right level for her at the moment. dd1 never went more than three days until she started reception (and I was a SAHM then so didn't need any more).

IC I can imagine ds' face grin. Love the way you are dealing with your dd's anxieties. I'm afraid I may sometimes be a little brusk with my dd1 blush so in a way I am learning from you how to approach things...

ClimbingPenguin Mon 25-Feb-13 21:17:38

I remember DS took a good few weeks to get the connection between food and being able to chew and swallow it.

stoofadoof Mon 25-Feb-13 22:10:33

<quick wave>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 26-Feb-13 11:33:53

BC I agree with the others it is not too much if he enjoys it. <It is a pfb thing anyway no such guilt with DD2 doing 8/14 everyday a year earlier than her sister grin>

Well still at home my throat is killing me! DD2 seems better (so back in tomorrow).
She very happy though alternating between peppa pig and painting a lot. Yesterday was Jakson pollock today we have actual drawings, a dinosaur in the garden, a girl in a garden, the sun, numerous flowers of different colours... It is cool when they suddenly get something...

wave back to stoof

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 26-Feb-13 11:35:43

IC I can imagine your DS face too. <lucky it was not spat back in your face wink>
I have heard that some children don't take easily to eating <hide in shame at my 2 food monsters>

ScienceRocks Tue 26-Feb-13 11:53:29

I agree with what everyone else has said BC. DD2 goes to nursery two days a week (she could do 8am-6:15pm but we tend to drop off at around 8:30am and collect at 5:15pm) and to my ILs one day (they collect her at 8:30am and bring her back at around 4:30 pm). Don't feel bad about it, as it sounds like you had planned for it to happen, it's just happening a bit quicker than you thought (I'm aware I sound all wise, but in fact I am not very good when things don't go as planned and mother about it for ages).

Love your DD2's painting, mous!

Good luck with the weaning, IC smile

ScienceRocks Tue 26-Feb-13 11:54:43

Meant to say to stone that it sounds as though your DS was spooked by what happened at the swimming pool. Hopefully a normal couple of sessions will make him realise that it was a one off and he'll remember he loves it.

StoneBaby Tue 26-Feb-13 13:18:19

SR that's what I think too. He did ask this morning if we were going swimming so fx it'll be fine on Friday when he goes with pre-school.

ClimbingPenguin Tue 26-Feb-13 13:32:50

I agree science he probably needs talking about it a few times rather than using sticker chart (he might think he did something wrong if it is generally used as behavioural modification). Can pretend play with him as well and give him some words/phrases he could use if it happens/is happening again.

A bit jealous of all this nursery and family helping out going on. To think I felt guilty for one afternoon.

ScienceRocks Tue 26-Feb-13 14:29:51

We are lucky to have our ILs to help, CP, but sometimes it does drive me mad. MIL pulling out DD1's first wobbly tooth, for example, and her habit of filling them with junk food :-/

And don't get me started on how she used to rearrange our furniture when we went away angry

Fortunately she has calmed down a bit in recent years. I think her other son's choice of wife has made her think I'm actually ok smile

Aw, bless you NK - I wish I was as sorted about it as I come across! I'm afraid I get rather brisk about it too sometimes - but I don't think it's an approach that helps DD as her instinct is to bottle things up and giving her short shrift about her anxieties probably makes her worse in that respect. On the other hand, some of it is probably attention-seeking and I don't want to give the attention reward if so. Tricky balance to get....
I've actually ordered a book about techniques to help anxious children...I'll let you know if it helps!

Poor old DH has got a squit bug - not sure if it's the same thing DD had on Sunday, but he's been pretty kyboshed by it today and came home from work after a couple of hours. He does seem to be brighter now, so we're hoping it's moving out of his system. Bloody hope I don't get it. Or DS, come to that. Feel like the Sword of Damocles is dangling over us at the moment...

Your MIL pulled out your DD's wobbly tooth, SR shock That's outrageous! Arf at the other wife making you look better in her eyes...

rainbowweaver Wed 27-Feb-13 02:34:16

Delurking to see if anyone has any advice, just notice at bath time today that DD seems to have a mild thrush - probably caused by the fact that she must wear tights, and at nursery wants to go to the toilet by herself with no help or people present whatsoever so may not get wiped properly. Other than getting her to wear loose trousers what to do re the desire to wipe independently?

Very impressed with your DD's painting mous!

ScienceRocks Wed 27-Feb-13 07:39:36

Rainbow, can you talk to your dd about asking someone to help her wipe? And use a barrier cream to protect the skin from being left a bit wet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now