Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Three is a magic number, yes it is......

(999 Posts)

Come and take shelter from the DC here, folks!

<offers tiffin, millionaire shortbread and other forbidden goodies>

NK2b1f2 Tue 19-Feb-13 15:59:24

Dd2 woke at just past 5 this morning after a bad dream and it took me ages to calm her down. She said she did not want to go back to her old nursery! sad Just when I was getting over my guilt to leave her there two months longer than I would have liked...
She had another lovely day in her new nursery today and came out smiling. She says she's had a very tiring day grin. So have I... I never went back to sleep this morning because I knew my alarm would go off any minute... hmm

NK2b1f2 Tue 19-Feb-13 16:02:49

She just said she made a new friend today 'someone with a difficult name' grin. It's a wonderfully diverse nursery with children from lots of different places, so I can't possibly guess who she means...

ScienceRocks Tue 19-Feb-13 21:51:42

Glad everyone seems better. Stoof, your phone call sounds terrifying, hope you are all ok and have had lots of cuddles this evening.

DD2 is going to the holiday playscheme for the first time tomorrow with DD1. She's super-excited, which bodes well for pre-school in September as it is in the same place. Much like NK, I hope grin

ClimbingPenguin Wed 20-Feb-13 10:26:24

all my plans have fallen though today so stuck being miserable and indecisive. DS is better still, but that just means he has enough energy to cry so therefore has been doing lots of it.

ScienceRocks Wed 20-Feb-13 10:47:51

Aw CP, those days are tough. Is there a play group you can go to? Or is the weather good enough for a walk or a park trip? If all else fails, can you just pop out for a coffee or a bite to eat? I find that simply getting out (somewhere, anywhere) makes those days a little more bearable and a little less long brew

ClimbingPenguin Wed 20-Feb-13 11:00:55

I'm going out to the country park this afternoon so lazing around until lunch and letting them watch some telly.

ClimbingPenguin Wed 20-Feb-13 21:03:46

managed to only use 30 mins of telly

finally (as we moved here in Oct) using the back paths we walked to the country park. I was pleasantly surprised to (i) find it and (ii) it only took 25 mins. Despite the lack of walking lately DD the past two days has done two 90 min walks, so that was nice. Now it is lighter in the afternoons/evenings we should be able to go there more often, especially as we passed horses and ponies on the way. After DD grows out her puddlesuit we are switching to waterproof trousers. Wee's are a right old faff.

DS actually walked around after dinner, climbed the stairs etc. Yesterday he was quite wobbly so think he is almost there. Still keeps getting blue lipped quickly, but he also ate at each meal today smile

<ignores lack of run today> DH is working from home tomorrow so I'm going to a Ladies badminton session in the morning while he takes them to tumbletots. Will try and do my run after that.

SconesForTea Thu 21-Feb-13 09:53:36

Aw hugs CP it sounds as if you are coping really well. I am soooo impressed at only 30mins TV. Great that DS is so much better. And hurrah for park, horses and ponies.

All go here as I have given myself far too much to do prior to DD1's parties on Sat.

SconesForTea Thu 21-Feb-13 09:54:23

No fancy cakes here mind, plain chocolate for her!

ClimbingPenguin Thu 21-Feb-13 19:38:44

We don't do fancy cakes, but then again I can barely bake a cake.

I was going to have a little get together but am not bothering now as most of the people I wanted to come, can't.

Did my run and badminton today, although I am still only running 2 miles. Trying to be really sustainable about it. I know I can more so don't need to prove anything and still have work with my physio to do (both PF and knees). Especially as there is always something to stop you doing it 1 week in 3.

DS was practically normal today smile

How is everyone?

Great to hear your DS is back on form, CP!
90 min walk? Wow. We're chuffed if DD walks for 30 mins (and that's unusual...)

ClimbingPenguin Thu 21-Feb-13 20:15:28

well the same here normally IC (I have told her that poo's like it when we do lots of walking, drinking water and eating vegetables as according Dr Ranj)

SconesForTea Fri 22-Feb-13 08:00:57

I know I should encourage DD1 to walk more. The trouble is I am usually walking for a good 30 mins each way at mypace. It would take forever for her (maybe 90 mins .... CP I just don't know how you have the patience!).

Her bday today, my mum is coming lunchtime thankfully, all hands to the party prep pump.

ClimbingPenguin Fri 22-Feb-13 08:48:12

both of those scones were walks for the sake of walks. If I have somewhere to be that takes 30 mins then I would put her in the buggy.

Happy birthday to your DD1 smile

StoneBaby Fri 22-Feb-13 13:30:22

DS is happy to walk and would do for 45mn without whinging but he refuses to do so if there's strong winds (which over here occur on a daily regular basis especially in the winter). We have put both pushchairs away about 6 months ago!

Ah, DD hates the wind too - but it doesn't have to be strong. Good job we don't live on an island, SB!

NK2b1f2 Fri 22-Feb-13 20:04:40

Felt quite touched by the sibling bond between dd1 and dd2 today. dd1 told me she looked for dd2 at lunchtime today before remembering that she is not in nursery on Fridays. And at home dd2 tried to get me to pretend I was dd1 and play with her... Awwww smile. On the other hand dd1 has been upset this week because I think she feels a bit upstaged by her baby sister. Last night she told me she wanted to play with dd2 in after school care (less than an hour until dh picked both up) but dd2 was playing with her new friend (the one with the difficult name wink) and didn't want to play with dd1...She was trying to be all big sisterly and dd2 didn't want to know! sad

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Fri 22-Feb-13 21:04:20

Bless them NK!! My two have been playing together well this week (alhtough I keep finding them climbing on/over the furniture which is getting a bit frustrating as I'm still a bit nervy about falls after DS1's incidents).

CP I'm so glad to hear DS is well on the mend now - it sounded horrid. I'm very impressed with the exercise - I haven't been for over a month since my breathing became bad. I've had blood tests (all clear), ECG (fine, although DS2 did unplug the woman's computer while I was lying on the couch out of commission - it's okay though as DS1 poked him in the eye as a telling off hmm!!) I had a chest x-ray yesterday too and will wait for the results. I suspect it may be allergy-related (and really, it seems to fit that I'd have an allergy in my household!), as I was told to take anti-histimine for a week and think it is helping. I have been doing a bit of dancing on the Wii to try and remove a little of the extra padding I've been gaining!

Had two cringeworthy moments (one funny and one not at all) with the boys in hospitals this week, which I wish to share, just for your amusement on a Friday night:
1. I had to take them both with me for my chest x-ray - I really have used up all good will with the childcare now! I obviously couldn't take them into the x-ray room so had rung in advance to check that, if I strapped them into the double buggy, someone would make sure they weren't kidnapped in the 90 seconds it would take to have the actual x-ray. I hadn't remembered that I'd have to don one of their very sexy gowns, in lieu of my top half of clothing, and try and do it up at the back on my own, whilst standing on one leg, due to lack of space, in a tiny changing room with the buggy taking up 99.9% of the space. At this point, DS1 announces loudly to the rest of the people awaiting x-ray on the other side of the cubicle, "Mummy, I think your boobies look funny when you are not wearing your booby catcher!" So I might have 'lost' a few ribs post-breast feeding, but really, did he need to share it with everyone?!! He also went on to tell everyone that he wanted the male nurse who waited with them as his daddy, as that man talked to them and his daddy never does (which is the greatest load of bollocks ever!!)
2. Before going to the burns unit today for treatment on DS1's head wound, I talked to both boys about not making comments about any burns they might see as it would make people feel sad. I nearly got away with it. Unfortunately, just as we were leaving, a lad of about 8 came in with terrible facial burns and burns to his arms. DS2 then said very loudly, "Mummy, what's all over that boy's face?" I was really embarrassed and sad for the little boy as it must happen all the time. I answered factually and whisked him away quickly. I explained again afterwards and he was sad. I know that children are inquisitive, but I hoped I'd got him to understand beforehand. In fairness, it was quite extreme and he just forgot. I think I dealt with it well, but just wish I hadn't had to.

I'm interested to read about your DC walking. DS2 has real trouble with it due to his hypermobile joints. After about 5 minutes, he cries and limps. If I try adn distract him or encourage him to carry o, he just lies down on the pavement. As this happens even when he's having fun, the consultant at our appointment for it the other week has suggested that we still need to use the buggy, rather than to be mean and try and force him. The boys now have a trampoline and this should help to strengthen his muscles, along with lots of cycling and swimming. Having the condition myself, I'm glad we've got it diagnosed when he is young and can be more understanding than my mother was with me (but tha's not saying much!!) He falls incessantly too and that worries us. DS1 has always walked and run for miles (mainly as I was pregnant with DS2 so soon that I couldn't carry him) so it is odd having a non-walker.

I'm aware this is becoming long again. I'm at the end of half term and was hoping for a relaxing week. We've had a lot of fun but it's been full of medical crap again. The chest stuff came out of nowhere so I wasn't prepared for it. I'm very tired afer writing my response to the letter back from the hosptial about DS1's head treatment and crave a bit of normality. I thought at lunchtime that we'd have a week next week without a hospital appointment. At 2pm, I had a call to say the gastro paediatrician wants to see DS2 on Tuesday!! Doh! Despite that, it's been so nice to see the boys playing together, like NK mentioned and I got to snuggle my friend's newborn on Tuesday. Off for a pep up with some dancing on the Wii (DH is out so I can give it some without embarrassing myself!)

Have a lovely weekend all. Hope the party is good Scones. CP if you want a vegan cake recipe that works, PM me on facebook and I'll write it out for you.

NK2b1f2 Fri 22-Feb-13 21:41:05

Survival I think you got away lightly taking your two along! grin Luckily both of mine are quite shy, so would only whisper comments to me and I would then answer quietly in German...
Talking of allergies, when my asthma got really bad my GP put me on tablets to take at night (can't for the life of me remember the name now) and it has made a big difference.

IC How has dd been with nursery this week? I hope she has enjoyed her time. And SR how did your dd2 enjoy her trial/holiday day?
dd2 has had a lovely week but very tiring. I think pre school is a lot more mentally stimulating than nursery and she has been shattered in the evenings. But she's still as keen as she was at the start and appears to have settled really well. This morning she woke at just after 6 and spent twenty minutes telling me in some detail what she had done yesterday (She was asleep already when I got home from a meeting). She is talking quite well now but does get frustrated when she can't think of the right word. This morning she told me that in after school care she put a banana on a stick and covered it in chocolate and then put stuff on it... she came up with 'stars' when she meant sprinkles grin. I thought it was quite sweet for her to try and describe what she means in words she knows. (I also liked her expression that her cereal had 'melted' - gone soggy- and she no longer liked it...).

Walking... dd2 is capable of walking long distances but she is slow and I rarely have the time blush especially if it is freezing cold like today and the wind is biting. Once it gets a little friendlier outside we'll walk a lot more. But we also have the problem of her falling a lot, not because of hypermobility but because she comes after me sad (I am terribly clumsy and always covered in bruises). I wonder if I am too careful with her but I know if I let her race around the park it won't be long before she falls over thin air and hurts herself, again.

Oh and finally before I forget. I had a follow up appt for my ear today and realised last night that I seem to be able to hear more again (I did some very serious yawning in the car this week which seemed to help!). Typical, isn't it. Still went to the GP and he was quite encouraged and does not think there will be permanent hearing loss. Been asked to report back by Easter and if there is still a problem he'll think of something else to do.

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Fri 22-Feb-13 21:59:26

NK great news about your hearing. I hope it continues to go from strength to strength - more yawning required obviously smile. DD2 sounds very cute, as opposed to my completely manic duo! Swap?

NK2b1f2 Fri 22-Feb-13 22:52:20

Survival grin I think dh would have a heart attack! He thinks our two quiet tidy slightly nerdy two are normal... We had friends round with a few boys and they turned the house upside down within 30 seconds, not in a nasty way, just exploring grin. Dh was quite pale when they left grin

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 23-Feb-13 06:23:36

Good to hear about the hearing NK

Sotu He is too young to have remembered your instructions, kids ask questions it is normal, don't feel bad about something you can't control.

All the girls in my house are coughing! (DH is still snoring hmm)
We are having some problem with DD2's guts. Thought it was better since we banned citruses and kiwis but there is something else at kindergarden. The symptoms are similar to IBS (or my intolerance to soy)... She had a tests for parasites but I think it is food related.

DD2 walks well and fast, I barely slow down for her, and when she gets tired I make her skip or run <mean>. But then she is tall and strong, it makes a lot of difference if I compare her to her "little" friends normal 3 yo.

Speech is coming on, she is still behind, uses romanian grammar when speaking the others languages hmm, and is doing very well in all the other domains. It is hard not to think she is behind in everything due to her speech and compared to DD1 at the same age, I just didn't realised how much ahead was DD1 compared to her peers at the time.
School doesn't want me to see a psy anymore for her. Her teacher is very happy even if the head teacher still think she is violent and has behavioural problems confused. I have heard a conversation I wasn't supposed to with DD2 being defended by her teacher (which match my observations at home, so I am going to ignore the HT).

NK2b1f2 Sat 23-Feb-13 08:13:02

Nous Brilliant to hear you dd2 is catching up well :-) and ignore the HT!!

Dd2 is having a well deserved lie in envy. Wish dd1 would get weekends... Yawn.

ClimbingPenguin Sat 23-Feb-13 08:32:02

What a night. DD is slightly ill and feverish which always messes up sleep and DS is still on a feed-a-thon after his illness. I didn't get to sleep proper until 3 am.

mous really glad your concerns with DD2 are slowly easing

I haven't done any letters etc with DD as I am not confident regarding the correct phonic pronunciations. Plus we normally do physical stuff rather than sitting down stuff (with their age gap and DS being the age he is). I want to leave that until school and let them deal with it. My sister could read before school but she soon settled to her natural lever (her brother is 13 months older and she did his homework with him when he is was in reception). She does recognise all the numbers up to 10 except for 9. It was nice when making a cake asking her to find me the cup with the number 3 on etc. She is asking after letters so I think I need to watch some alphablocks.

Everytime DD gets a cold/ill her ears now hurt. This time before any fever or other symptoms she was complaining of sore ears. Is this to be expected or you think I should run it by the GP (I've seen enough of them lately).

survival hope your chest starts clearing up. I have to admit I went climbing and other stuff when I was still breathless as I was just fed of up of not doing stuff.

nk the children did sleep in a bit today and we all got up at 7:45. I now need to get ready for tutoring followed by swimming.

Having seen DD suddenly do a long walk, I would say don't push the walking (which I had been trying to do then circumstances meant I didn't for ages).

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 23-Feb-13 08:55:57

CP Is she just saying "it hurts" or is she crying? DD2 had an ear infection last week and was unconsolable until the Nurofen acted (paracetamol not strong enough). Now she is saying "bobo ear" which I completely ignore.
If it lasts more than a few days of complaining I would get her checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now