Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FEB 2010 Three is a magic number, yes it is......

(999 Posts)

Come and take shelter from the DC here, folks!

<offers tiffin, millionaire shortbread and other forbidden goodies>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 13-Jul-13 19:28:37

that is a good sign!

Aw JF poor DD2 - I hope she's over whatever-it-is now xx

Lovely day spent mainly in the PIL's big garden today - lots of waterplay for the DC, they loved it. I'm going to have to organise a paddling pool, although I think I've left it too late - I don't think you can get them for love nor money at the moment.....

StoneBaby Sat 13-Jul-13 22:13:34

JF fx she'll fet better

IC have a look on Amazon for the paddling pool

Too hot to sleep. Our hotel has no air con and as our bedroom is on a slopping roof we can the sun all day!!

rainbowweaver Sun 14-Jul-13 09:49:13

DD has chicken pox as of yesterday... Well luckily it didn't happen while on holiday smile now lots of DVDs for the rest of the week. Must remember to get calamine lotion. Any suggestions on other remedies appreciated.... A friend mentioned there was a cream to dry the blisters quickly.

JewelFairies Sun 14-Jul-13 09:56:30

Rainbox - Get poxclin from Boots. It's a miracle foam!
Your poor dd sad. Hope she doesn't get it too bad and at least I guess you can let her run around naked so she doesn't get hot and itchy.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 14-Jul-13 10:02:37

Rainbow poor DD!
JF how is your DD2?

JewelFairies Sun 14-Jul-13 11:53:43

Dd2 is surprisingly bouncy this morning. I'm envy how quickly children recover sometimes.

Piriton/Allerief help relieve the itchy symptoms of CP, rainbow - and help them get to sleep too (anti-histamine....)

rainbowweaver Sun 14-Jul-13 21:35:19

Have popped out this lunch time and got the poxclin. Goodness it's not cheap! But I suppose with aloe Vera will be lovely and soothing. smile. DD has absolutely refused to have any creams and has been not scratching so as not to have creams on confused despite saying it's very itchy. So have sneakily applied cream on her now that she's fallen asleep.

Let's see what happens tmrw. May pop out again tmrw, some risk of me getting CP as well. So the creams may still come in useful yet! Parents could not recall whether we had CP as children.

Glad to hear DD2 got her mojo back jf smile. Saw paddling pools at our local pound shop ic so still some hope!

rainbowweaver Tue 16-Jul-13 07:37:42

jf poxclin is truly amazing! DD says the itching has stopped ever since we'd used it. And given she can now see the effects now tolerates my putting it on her.... Also very good on spots (mine) grin

Weather looks like it will remain scorching for another week at least. Am now going to avoid the sun, but enjoy the warm weather.... Hope all well with everyone.

SconesForTea Tue 16-Jul-13 12:05:41

Fly by post. Hope you don't get CP, rainbow, it's quite unpleasant in adults. I can't remember using poxclin on my two - it sounds amazing (wonder if it works on bee stings? Mine has only just stopped itching!).

Great that DD2 is better JF

I am loving the hot weather, but without a car, we all tend to get rather too much sun. OK we do have a car technically, and access to it as DH is cycling in, but I just can't pluck up the courage to drive it sad If this weather continues I'll have to, I think, as yesterday we all pretty much wilted after being outside for 4 hours solid.

What I don't understand is why I am not losing any weight after pushing the two of them up hill and down dale in full sun angry I am sweating buckets. Maybe I am making up the calories with white wine grin

JewelFairies Tue 16-Jul-13 13:25:23

Rainbow I think it was SR who recommended the stuff when dd2 came down with chickenpox before Christmas. Dd2 went from screaming naked on our bed furiously rubbing herself on the sheets to jumping on the bed giggling, within a few minutes. Well worth the money and as she had it bad and was absolutely covered in spots it was perfect for applying to large areas.

scones Can you book a one off driving lesson to get over your fear? I'm with you on the problems of getting anywhere in this heat though. I am car less too because dh has my car. His is overdue for an MOT and we may not bother paying for the necessary repairs because a. We have no money and b. it has a million miles on the clock and the engine will probably die in the next few months.

ScienceRocks Tue 16-Jul-13 15:54:07

Glad your dd is better Rainbow. PoxClin is wondrous, isn't it?

Scones, a driving refresher sounds a good idea. I am keen on walking to most places locally, but yesterday did drive to nursery because I had nearly melted on the school run (the class was out late and the bit where we wait has no shade at all) blush

Hope everyone is ok?

I am taking dd2 (and dd1) to an open evening at her pre-school this afternoon. Will feel terribly on show as I think my photo has been put on the staff and governors board. I might take a cardigans to do some strategic draping to save me having to ask any questions...

Dd2 had her pre-school boosters last week. She was very brave, bless her, but did come and ask for calpol a little bit later because her arm was a bit sore, bless her.

rainbowweaver Wed 17-Jul-13 07:06:34

The key is sustained effort scones <ducks> grin. Weight will come off!

Hopefully won't get cp, the next 2 weeks will tell no doubt. Am ttc, and period due tmrw. If late then I may book an appointment with the doctor for one of those immune boosting jabs. Don't seem to be suffering with spots this month <hopeful> no wait that could be the poxclin grin

Found a fledging blackbird on our doorstep last night. Made the mistake of taking it indoors to feed. Apparently we should leave it out for the parent birds to care! Flying practice didn't go too well. Luckily DH put it back in some shrubs away from the foxes. DD happily pretending to be a baby bird as a result the rest of the evening....

rainbowweaver Wed 17-Jul-13 07:09:34

Both my sister and brother had cp as adults so prognosis not good, unless I had it very young before my sis was born.

Another vote for the refresher here. I took one before my UK test years ago. Very helpful. Though had to unlearn all my bad Malaysian driving habits.

rainbowweaver Wed 17-Jul-13 07:13:09

How was open evening yesterday sr? What happens during one? <curious>.

ScienceRocks Wed 17-Jul-13 07:34:30

The open evening was good thanks, rainbow. It's just an opportunity for children and parents to go along and get to know the setting, staff and each other. Not so much of a big deal for dd2 (or megrin) because she has been to playgroup there many times as well as the holiday playscheme they run. But it was nice. Next week they are holding a family picnic for those who are leaving as well as those who are starting soon. It's a lovely place, it's a privilege to be involved.

Strangely enough, yesterday the deputy head of the pre-school visited dd2's current nursery. She said that it is very nice but she can see some of the issues I have mentioned, particularly the fact that dd2 has been left in a toddler room and others who are younger have been moved on to the room for older children because they are staying there for another year rather than moving on. She described dd2 as head and shoulders above the rest and so ready for a change. Ironically, the parents of one of the children who was given preferential treatment at the current nurse have made a last minute decision to move their little girl to the pre-school too. I was a bit confused when I saw the mum, though happy that dd2 will see a bit more of the little girl as she was upset when they were split up earlier this year.

StoneBaby Wed 17-Jul-13 18:17:29

rainbow how is your DD (and yourself) doing? When is af due?

sr good that the meeting went well and hmm at your nursery keeping your DD2 below her age group.

JF is your DD2 back to her normal self?

DS has got a rash on his back and spots on his bum. I now wonder if it's cp! confused

I hope every body is enjoying the sunshine

JewelFairies Wed 17-Jul-13 18:39:18

Please tell me it's not just me... Whenever dh is in charge for a full day I always have this nagging worry. It's not rational because he's a capable father who has been hands on from the start. He may do things differently to me but I've learnt to let that go.
Just got back from a very long day (left the house at 7) and there's no one here! I'm sure they've had a fantastic day but I wanted to be greeted by excited children <sulks>. No idea either where he is because he's the only person I know who doesn't own a mobile (just hoping he's not in A&E)!
Ah well, I should just enjoy the peace. Just poured myself a large glass of wine and enjoying fresh the bread, cheese and potato salad (thank you Lidl).

JewelFairies Wed 17-Jul-13 18:40:36

rye bread!

JewelFairies Wed 17-Jul-13 18:42:31

cheese, and potato salad grin. That wine kicked in rather quickly...

JewelFairies Wed 17-Jul-13 18:45:28

Any guesses on where he could be? Signs of activity in the house suggest he had lunch here first. And he had no access to a car. Bike, scooters, pushchair all here. Hmm.

JewelFairies Wed 17-Jul-13 19:15:03

They've just come back from town and the girls haven't had dinner yet <bites tongue, ignoring that they normally eat at 5ish>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 17-Jul-13 20:01:12

That would be normal for my DH too. they don't need dinner they have been stuffed with ice creams, sweets and juices wink

I think I would have been a bit unnerved by that too, JF!
My DH is probably more of a stickler than I am for the eating/bedtime routine, but I remember my DSis speaking of leaving her place for the weekend leaving her DH in charge of their 4DCs. They had a great time, but when she got back on Sunday evening, none of the school uniforms had been washed, gym kits not ready, homework not done etc. etc. you get the picture...!

DD got involved in a wee brawl at nursery on Monday afternoon - with a boy, who scratched her face and left a mark. But apparently the fight was "six of one and half a dozen of the other". DD has been quite physically aggressive these last few months - lots of pushing especially. I fear my own roughness with her when trying to prevent her from hurting DS may be partly to blame. <sigh>
DD was okay after the fight, although a bit subdued that evening. She was fine going to nursery the next day and was also much less "pushy", thankfully. Meanwhile, I'm trying to be less physical with DD myself (although it's hard not to push her away from DS when she's kicking out at him, trying to tread on him, shoving him backwards etc...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now