Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Three is a magic number, yes it is......

(999 Posts)

Come and take shelter from the DC here, folks!

<offers tiffin, millionaire shortbread and other forbidden goodies>

Bearcrumble Mon 13-May-13 20:12:57

The bath stuff comes with another sachet (of table salt I think) to turn the jelly back into liquid. There were still a few flecks of gel but a quick rinse round with the shower and it was gone pretty quickly with no mess.

Yes, ds likes a bit of sushi and even wasabi peas although he claims not to like spicy things.

ic is that linctus ok to take if bfing?

survival if you are reading I'm thinking of you & the boys all the time. Please say if there's anything you need.

StoneBaby Mon 13-May-13 21:22:12

IC great need about your DD been dry and the successful swimming session. I did use night pull ups on DS a few months back but once again as he sleeps on his side there was soakingleakage

DS is normally a good eater and will eat everything. So I'm even more convinced he was playing up as my mum was over. I love sushi but as there's no place selling fresh ones, DS has never tried it but he likespicy food too.

bc I hope you feel better quickly

ScienceRocks Mon 13-May-13 22:05:24

<dons pharmacist's white coat>

Codeine linctus isn't generally recommended during breast feeding, BC, but pholcodine linctus should be ok. To be honest, not many places sell or even stock the former nowadays as it has fallen out of fashion. Pholcodine, however, is widely available and much cheaper than branded stuff like Benylin (and is more effective, in my opinion).

<takes off white coat>

Sorry you have been so poorly, BC.

Thinking I might need to get black out blinds or lining for both the DDs rooms. They are sleeping fine, but I catch them reading (or looking at books in DD2's case) early in the morning and after bedtime because their rooms are so light.

Amusingly, DD1 fell over recently because she was so busy reading while trying to get dressed at the same time grin

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 14-May-13 13:54:43

marking place you dropped off my IAO!

Yes, pholcodine is what I had Bc - prescribed by the GP, who knew I was breast feeding. She said "It will come through in the milk a bit, so keep an eye on him, he may be a bit more sleepy than usual.."
I said, "Really? How much do I have to take to guarantee THAT..??!"
She laughed and said "I suppose as you're taking it overnight, it doesn't matter, does it?"

For the record, it had no noticeable effect on DS or his sleep (regrettably....)

Bearcrumble Tue 14-May-13 19:58:05

Thanks, I got some this morning. It does seem to take the edge off.

How is everyone? What did you do today? We had quite a nice day. Couple of friends with similar aged dcs came over this morning and swimming lesson this afternoon. ds got a bit cheeky with the watering cans but anothet boy (F) who's mum I have got quite pally with was tipping lots of water on another little boy (J) who quite clearly didn't like it. J's parents were quite clearly very annoyed with F's behaviour (they were saying things quite loudly) and I felt really stuck in the middle because J is at nursery with ds and F's mum didn't do anything. Really the teacher should have done something. I did in the end say 'maybe you should have a word' to F's mum and she stood up but we were all sat behind a barrier at the opposite end of the pool to where the class was taking place. I worry so much about pissing people off. I did also shout out F's name when he tipped another can over poor J. J really didn't like it and was grabbing the spout and trying to stop it happening but F turned the whole can over so it just all came straight out of the top. Hmm. I know I fret too much and it is probably all forgotten now.

By the way, has anyone had a reminder to get the pre-school jabs done yet? They must be due soon, I'm thinking.....3 years and 4 months?

ScienceRocks Tue 14-May-13 20:21:49

Bugger IC, I meant to make an appointment for DD2 when I was at the GP surgery today. I guess I was distracted by being patronised by the GP I saw (though the rational part of me knows she was just being diligent and doesn't know I'm a pharmacist) and having the three yearly indignity of a smear test (hate them, even after two children).

Sigh. I'll phone tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me.

BabyGiraffes Tue 14-May-13 20:39:58

I haven't had the reminder yet and wonder if I should wait for it. Could have dropped in to the surgery last Thursday for the MMR (they had an open clinic because we are in the measles outbreak area) but decided against it because dd2 was sneezing a lot and also because of having visitors until today (and I was concerned about dd2 being very unsettled after the jabs). May phone the GP tomorrow although dd2 now has a nasty cold, so I wouldn't want her to have it this week.

ClimbingPenguin Tue 14-May-13 21:17:58

I pleased to announce af is here. Turns out I had a stomach bug at the weekend which also gave me low blood pressure. I was starting to panic but the rest of the house are now a bit poorly too. We are trying to decide about a vasectomy.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 14-May-13 21:35:04

DD2 has been following the 'french" program and should have any vaccination until 6 now. She already had 2 doses of MMR ( and I am convinced they all had measles when she was 6 months even if the doc thought it was a chicken allergy ). She is still not in the system! Anyhow, I received the reminder for DD1 we were far gone from the UK so I know they are not in a hurry (between 3.4 months and school starting? roughly?)
SR I thought smears were yearly, or is it because of my grand age?
sotu thinking of you

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 14-May-13 21:36:41

Yeah CP! You might be too young though. Sorry about the illness.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 14-May-13 21:41:24

DD2 speech is coming on, but it makes things harder. She does wants her bed here, it is her GM house and she wants to go back to our house sad. The weather is awful TBH, and we have a lot of mundane work (just clearing, boiling water, unpacking and tending fire...) which makes her feel left out.

StoneBaby Wed 15-May-13 13:24:33

I'm in Gatwick waiting to catch my flight back to Guernsey. I had to do a day trip to renew my French passport.

We have not received any reminder about the jab but I got this one and the 3yo + 6 months one marked on the calendar so I'll book an appointement for the start of June.

mous shame about the house. Remind me you're setting up your house at the moment but living at your MIL? On the other hand great news about DD2 speech

Good to hear none of you have had reminders yet either! Quite a few measles cases are presenting in Bristol schools now and there's a good chance we're going to be the next hotspot. I asked about bringing DS' MMR forward (whether it was worth doing - he's not due for it until September) and they said they only give the jab younger than 13 months if an outbreak is officially confirmed, but to "watch the local news....."

ScienceRocks Wed 15-May-13 20:13:03

Useful IC! My gp surgery is really sticking to the rules and won't let me make an appointment for dd2 as their diary isn't open from june 9 yet, which is when she can officially have the booster jab. I'm assuming stocks are being directed to areas that need it most (unusually not where I live).

SB, you should have come to see me! Chances are your train went along the line I can see from my house...

Mous, great news about dd2's speech. Just a shame it has been prompted by such difficult living conditions. Hopefully the weather will pick up and things will seem better. In the meantim,e have some brew or wine

StoneBaby Wed 15-May-13 20:19:20

SR I guessed I might have been 'training' pass smile

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 16-May-13 07:58:03

SB yes at MIL, she is actually not that bad, definitely easier than my own parents! and less critical but I feel like intruding, and she likes remote, she chose to live here! shock so I can't really complain too much and I hate snooping (not that I have anything to hide).
We are also sharing with a lovely fat mouse under the cupboard and a huge fluffy cat which is shading is coat, cough It changes from the roaches
We have mould problems at our house, hopefully the roof is OK, and a tenant in (who can pay for the mortgage-sigh- ideally we would be better back in our own house but it is too costly).

DD2 is in a "why?" phase too, refreshing because DD1 never had it ( she already "knew" all the answers hmm).
She is also quite cheeky rude : "I've no hand" is her favourite answer if requested to help to pick up or carry something. Which DD1 and DH found hilarious so not helping me...
She is sad and confused. For her it is completely foreign here, the 3 of us have some varied degrees of familiarity. DD1 was awful for at least 4 months after we moved countries, we are only less than 2 weeks in. BTH she is not so bad (lots of whinging) and it can only improved, isn't it?

I probably need some counselling for my driving avoidance, I realised that it is more than just a mental block, but then we shouldn't be obliged to drive. (I do have a licence which I never used)

sorry for the long long post.

SR thanks for the wine <hicks>

ScienceRocks Thu 16-May-13 08:18:34

Mous, are you avoiding driving partly because it could then become yet another thing that you do and your DH doesn't do? As you are living really remotely, I think you need to bite the bullet and just go for it. And it has to be easier than driving in a big city (Delhi, for example, or Rome grin).

Your poor lost DD2. Great that she is keeping you entertained and on your toes though grin. It's morning so I shall just give you brew and biscuit (that's a croissant, right?).

BabyGiraffes Thu 16-May-13 17:18:12

Toddler logic... Dd2 didn't like the top bit of her blueberries, the bit that looks like a little crown. So she ate the bottom half of the blueberries and passed the top bit to me. Sigh. I had no energy to argue so let it go, especially as she then happily ate her pink pasta (pasta cooked with slices of fresh beetroot, turning everything pink grin)

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 16-May-13 17:30:26

If It was that simple SR, no I am convinced I am going to die or kill someone if I ever drove. Anyway I can't really bite the bullet, we don't have a car and only DH is insured on her mum's car (we do have to ask for permission though!) oh! the fun of being a teenager again in your 40s!

BabyGiraffes Thu 16-May-13 17:42:29

Mouse, do you think your dh may have depression? Can only go on what you told us but he seems reluctant to get a new job and doesn't seem too care that you all had to give up your good life with good affordable schools to move in with his mother...
You will probably know but jobs.ac.uk is great for academic jobs.

BabyGiraffes Thu 16-May-13 17:44:11

'To' sorry the o on my phone is playing up

ClimbingPenguin Thu 16-May-13 17:46:34

MIL is still being weird about the car we got from them, but DH finally see's through a lot of her comments and is putting her straight grin Basically they were upgrading when I got the job offer and also looking for a car for me to commute in. So they offered it to us for what they could have got for part-exchange. They haven't grasped it would be my car (as DH only does 1/2 the nursery runs and cinema) despite us telling them. Then pre-filled the documents in his name (we corrected them again). MIL insisted on pulling DH aside (calling him by his full name) and then talked to him about the car history. This week on a phone call she asked how the kids were enjoying the car so he replied 'they like it, they're always asking for mummy's car' at which point she replied with shock 'oh, is it her car' and then quizzed him on what driving he does confused I think she gets it now. She has only asked me two questions since I told her about my job, everything else is through children or just ignoring me (even more than before). DH doesn't see the difference in how the kids are treated yet but he does see food, play and me issues.

BabyGiraffes Thu 16-May-13 18:05:01

CP I admire your patience with you MIL. To me she sounds like she is nuts and seems to only tolerate you because you are the dc's mother. There is no way I would put up with that kind of crap ( but then I am always quite opinionated on MILs, not having one myself grin).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now