Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Three is a magic number, yes it is......

(999 Posts)

Come and take shelter from the DC here, folks!

<offers tiffin, millionaire shortbread and other forbidden goodies>

NK2b1f2 Wed 17-Apr-13 21:15:51

IC I can see some future career options emerging here for you. You really seem to have the knack for helping your dd and I am sure there are lots of other children who would respond to this as well smile
Now I need to think up something to help dd2 relax a bit more and learn to tell dream from reality. I find it very hard to deal with her complaints about an imaginary slight by her sister that happened in her dream, at 3 in the morning... This morning at 5 she was very cross with me when I refused to take her into town to get a new balloon because the old one 'broke'. It takes ages to calm her down and get her to realise that she is in her room, it is night time, and mama would quite like to return to bed and get some sleep wink

ScienceRocks Thu 18-Apr-13 10:13:33

CP, sorry to hear that. Hope the course helps sad

IC, I agree with NK that you seem to be a whizz at sorting out your DD's issues. If you could come and stop my older DD being so damn rude, that'd be great! She was brilliant for all the holidays, now she has gone back to school she has turned into a stroppy monster. I know it's because she is using up all her good behaviour at school, but it still makes things difficult...

Scones, trying to focus on positives is a great concept. Keeping my gratitude journal has certainly made me feel better, so keep up the good work!

I don't have much to say at the moment, which is why I am a bit quiet here and on FB (other than answering the questions!). Things are piddling along ok, just a few niggles like DD1's behaviour, DD2 not being moved into the next room at nursery (long, boring story, but her best friend who is two months younger has moved "up" making DD2 the oldest by some way - literally the others are still in nappies and not talking - so I have had a word with the manager to see if changing her days will make a difference), and DH's usual erratic behaviour.

Still, the sunshine makes everything seem better!

I have some leftover banana, chocolate and Brazil nut cake if anyone wants to pop round for that and brew...

StoneBaby Thu 18-Apr-13 10:42:15

IC I may try your wind medicine

NK have you try giving your DD2 some ibuprofen before bedtime. I know this help DS brain switch off at night when he's unsettled

ClimbingPenguin Thu 18-Apr-13 13:12:41

Sorry to hear your nights are unsettled nk. My two woke just the one each last night, which was quite nice.

Thanks science we're not arguing or anything, just we need to make that effort iykwim. I think the tiredness is catching up to DH which is mainly why I think he isn't communicating that well. Also a bit of green eye as everyone around seems to have f

ClimbingPenguin Thu 18-Apr-13 13:13:45

Pressed too soon there

Family around to babysit and give them bits of time together. It's odd starting to come out of the intense two children close together, not sleeping great phase.

NK2b1f2 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:44:04

Last night pretty okay with dd2 and she slept through more or less until 6.30 this morning.
Watch out CP , once you get out of the habit of being woken several times a night it is then a real killer if you get the odd bad night...
Good luck for starting your new job - I've forgotten the actual date smile

ClimbingPenguin Fri 19-Apr-13 07:16:30

Both of mine slept throughshock

I didn't, sil has had a baby while I am at my mums so was summoned for breastfeeding help.

There must have been something in the air last night - DS only woke twice (well, he woke three times, but the last time he just fidgeted a bit then went back to sleep....) hoorah to all of that!

Bless you for helping your SIL CP - how's it going for her now?

Thanks for the plaudits! I wouldn't say I always know what to do about DD's phobias and foibles by any means, but the odd flash of inspiration has proved useful!!

Today me and the DC spent the morning at the park - something we haven't done for yonks because of the crap weather and DD's wind terror. She had another wibble when we arrived (it's a bit breezy up there...), but a quick repeat of the "magic medicine" chant and me briskly telling her to pull her hood down and come along seemed to do the trick. It was wonderful playing with her and seeing her getting more and more adventurous again. She had another great day at nursery, then was back out in the garden with DH and DS while I got the supper. Yay!

Bearcrumble Fri 19-Apr-13 21:19:03

You are doing so well IC - is it stuff you've got from 'Playful Parenting', somewhere else or just off the top of your head?

DS hates the wind and shouts at it to go away so I might nick some of what you've done.

CP - How is SIL doing? What did she have?

I had a crappy night's sleep last night. Wednesday night was good though so I had the energy to leave my local area and took a 1 hour train journey with two changes to Kew Gardens with the kids. left home at 9.30 and got home at 6.30! A very long day but it was so much fun. We met my mum there and we were all in a good mood/got on well. There was one downpour and we got soaked despite umbrellas and we were about 10 mins walk from the indoor play area (which is GREAT). I just wish it was cheaper (£16 for an adult) because it is so lovely and soothing to be somewhere so big and beautiful and green. I may look into annual membership, hmm £71 so would have to go 5 times to make it worthwhile.

I have a few niggles about nursery. Nothing terrible - just that they are supposed to go to the woods every other Weds pm but he's only been once in the last couple of months and that was when I came along too. Also he says that there's a lot of "you're not my best friend" type stuff going on which makes him upset. He did say that he likes it but he misses me. He was a bit subdued today. A lot of the kids are a year older and found out which school they are going to - made me realise how close it is if we decide to send him to reception.

Baby just woke so I have to go.

Ooh, I love Kew - what a smashing thing to do with the LOs Bc!

And feel free to nick away - that's partly why I was so detailed, figured some bits might come in useful to others too...!

I guess the playful aspects came from good old Mr Cohen, but the main inspiration was from Ben Goldacre's "Bad Science" book, which I've just read. The chapter looking at the placebo effect was fascinating and had lots of examples on what makes the placebo effect even more effective. Knowing how much DD likes the idea of medicine, I figured I would give it a try (and I had already successfully used the medicine/placebo idea when she couldn't get back to sleep after a nightmare).

Today was the best day we've had in ages - a lovely family Saturday. DH went into work for an optional brainstorm and took DD because they had organised a creche - she was one of only a couple of kids there, so got lots of adult attention, which she loved and DH enjoyed the session too.

Meanwhile, I took DS for a walk and did a bit of shopping while he snoozed then had a coffee in the local caff until he woke up and joined me (company-wise, I didn't offer him any of my cappucino!) Then we played in the sun in the garden until DH and DD came home whereupon we had a buffet-style lunch all together, then DH and DD played/did some gardening outside while DS snoozed until some friends came visiting. Nothing hugely amazing, but DD was in a good mood all day, as indeed were we all - must have been the sunshine!

DD's even been doing her poos with very little fuss all week - I'm allowing myself to hope that we really have turned the corner with that one too....

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 20-Apr-13 20:08:00

I want to press like IC but it is not here! IYSWIM!

stoofadoof Sat 20-Apr-13 20:49:46

<quick wave> struggling to keep up again!

rainbowweaver Sun 21-Apr-13 16:16:17

smile. I can identify with the pressing like! That's a good positive post ic.

DD's finally starting to eat and drink more now, but still not quite where she was before the illness. She's suddenly very thin, but luckily bulking up a bit now. But she's developed a real attitude! Can't decide whether it's due to the 3 year old phase and hence hopefully she'll grow out of it at 3 and a half, or if it's something triggered by our worried parent behaviour tryngi to get more food into her all last week. DH has been brilliant, I could not have been able to get through last week without him, makes me wonder at times like this why we get into an arguing phase sometimes, when actually we do get each other.

I love Kew, they had a 12 days of Christmas offer of free entry over Xmas / New year, but the weather was so erratic. It has been a lovely few days recently, nothing like some good weather to get everything going well again.

Understand about the family thing too cp. We had some strong thoughts about moving back to Malaysia after seeing DD enjoying spending time with the family so much. But decided that we would miss the weather here too much (!!). Plus not as many books in the small town where we are. So have decided to build up a support network of friends nearby who can help - still early days though smile but I can now leave DD with one of her nursery friends if something urgent pops up. And arranging play dates during the weekends. If we all lived closer to each other it would be much easier...!

StoneBaby Sun 21-Apr-13 18:53:28

I'm definately with you re family support. But should there was an emergency I could leave DS with MIL for an hour (she's an elderly lady - 83yo) but I would not leave him for longer as she won't have the strength to deal with him.

He's cought a bug today and ended up with 38.6C temp at lunchtime. Fx it's not the 1st symptom of chickenpox confused

BabyGiraffes Mon 22-Apr-13 15:29:48

Typical Monday here... Dd2 just threw herself down on the ground in frustration and then cried tears of anger when she realised she was lying in the only puddle anywhere near! Found it hard not to laugh... Cruel mummy.

StoneBaby Mon 22-Apr-13 19:09:43

So after a hard day at work, DS and I came home where I had a very low hypoglycemia. So the 2 of us went to bed for 2 hours - he slept and I was inconscious ish. DH came home in a panic after I did not answer his numerous texts. [oops]!!!

DS is now in bed again for the night, I suspect his fever is back as it'll explain the nap

BabyGiraffes Mon 22-Apr-13 21:10:46

SB That's pretty scary, are you alright?

Bearcrumble Tue 23-Apr-13 14:52:50

Sorry to hear that sb. Hope you are ok now.

StoneBaby Tue 23-Apr-13 18:46:55

I'm okay today. I felt drained this morning especially as I felt very cold during the night (one of my side effect of hypoglycemia). The weird thing is that DS was quiet during it.
He is normally the active one who makes me realise I'm unwell and need Coke/bread and nutella sandwich.
On the plus side I generated 225 invoices today on a system I am not trained to use. shock

Well done on the invoices SB - hope you're feeling better now. Try and take it easy...

DD had her first music therapy session today - mainly evaluative. What I got from it was that she is a control freak, is keen to assert her independence and has a strong sense of things being done the "correct" way. We shall see what the therapist makes of it!!

I've been using some NLP-based techniques on DD when it comes to trying to minimise rows and tantrums - some of them are proving very effective, but DD is also smart enough to thwart some of the others - it's quite amusing to observe her "seeing through" some of the techniques, which most adults would probably fall for straight away!!

Bearcrumble Tue 23-Apr-13 22:04:01

Look after yourself, SB - well done on the work.

Sounds interesting, IC - didn't know DD was going to music therapy.

I had an overscheduled day today - went out with neighbour and her DD to Horniman storytime, then playground, then home for quick lunch and to put wash on, then out to get DD's jabs done then home via another playground then hung up washing and got DD off for a nap while DS watched Camberwick Green DVD and ate chocolate ice cream (anything to stop him shouting "MUMMEEEE" when I am attempting to put DD down) then out again for swimming lesson (tantrum because I made him wear his trunks down the road as no time to put trousers on - they were long trunks that look like shorts and it was very hot and sunny), then home to make dinner then get them into bed.

Tomorrow he is off on a nusery farm trip 9 - 3 so will be quieter!

I'm afraid my use of tv and treats has gone up again recently and I need to cut back. He had a mini magnum and chocolate ice cream and a bit of dairy milk today plus about an hour and a half of tv. It's just grabbing that bit of time or making him do something immediately when we have a lot on. Maybe because I have both of them all day to myself so little now? It's only Tues regularly that I don't have help (although this week it will be Thurs too as mum going on farm trip).

It's difficult to do a thing with him at home like baking or painting or craft because she wants to grab everything. She's very jealous - will scream and attempt to scale me when I have him on my lap and she's around.

Ah, I sympathise Bc - Charlie & Lola and a drink are almost always pressed into service when I need to put DS down for his morning nap. Sometimes we need to bribe incentivise them to do what we need!!

The therapy is a sort of combined music/play/art thing, but the therapist is best-versed with the music side of it. I figure even if it doesn't have much in the way of therapeutic results (to help DD find ways of coping with stressful situations) then at least she will have had some exposure to lots of great music-making!

DD has been talking a lot about going swimming lately - as someone who hates getting water on her face/in her ears this is quite something! We're keen to start both DC swimming soon, so I'm gearing up - for DD goggles, ear band, wet suit and arm bands (and starting gently, very much in the shallow end, away from splashing etc. where possible).

Any advice for DS? He has no problems with the water so far, doesn't mind it over his head etc. and adores splashing madly in the bath. But do I need to get some sort of wet suit for him, or just stick to a swim nappy? (thinking water temperature here...)

Please give me any other tips!!

StoneBaby Wed 24-Apr-13 20:55:13

When I started going to the pool with DS last July hewas wearing a wet suit and arm bands. Now he wears trunks but still get cold in the water. I would say to get him a padded wetsuit unless your pool is warn (ours is not). Is your DD fully PT now as she may also need a swimming nappy.

My best advice is a bit at the time, chocolate rewards work well with DS when swimming especially since he got scared at the pool a few months ago. Good luck and enjoy

ClimbingPenguin Thu 25-Apr-13 07:17:36

depends on the temp IC if it feels cold to you getting in, then get him one, if it feels warm then he'll be ok. we have a old one we could post. I would look around for a warm pool as I think that would be best for your DD. Even my one balks at getting in sometimes. Look for general swims early in the morning. The local one here at 9/9:30 is pretty empty but after 10:30 really fills up with families.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now