Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FEB 2010 Three is a magic number, yes it is......

(999 Posts)

Come and take shelter from the DC here, folks!

<offers tiffin, millionaire shortbread and other forbidden goodies>

rainbowweaver Fri 05-Apr-13 02:23:40

On eating, DD's thrown up the last couple of days after having what we thought were satisfactory meals but not huge. Triggered she said by coughing. Turns out that when she doesn't want to eat she is actually quite full. smile. So these days she does sometimes go without dinner if she doesn't feel like it. Or dinner is a simple pasta with olive oil, and nothing else for her.

She normally makes up for not eating dinner by having a large breakfast and lunch the next day.

NK2b1f2 Fri 05-Apr-13 13:17:42

I'm a big fan of The Idle Parent grin

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 05-Apr-13 14:05:36

Rainbow does it class letting a 3 yo hoovering the living room while I am here as idle parenting? grin <who can resist a "peux me help mama?" with a big grin and big eyes...> The 8 yo is supervising like a little general hmm

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Fri 05-Apr-13 21:18:35

Sorry for my absence in the last couple of weeks. Our internet is extremely sporadic (I keep hijacking a neighbour's internet on my phone but DH is not pleased so mainly do it in the daytime!) and it's very difficult to post on MN on my phone. In addition, as you've seen on facebook, I'm utterly worn out and worn down and don't want to bore you all any more. At the moment, I don't have very much positive to say, other than I start my two day a week contract next week (but I know I''m not really fit to be there at the moment and I'm wondering if it is braver to go and get on with it or to admit defeat for a bit).

I've just caught up with the last three pages on here and I'm sorry so many of you have been having a hard time one way or the other. I wonder if HVs are aware what a high percentage of people seem to struggle with two LOs? Could it be because we are educated women who think a lot? I do think that the mums I know who seem to be in a constant love affair with parenting are perhaps just a teeny bit less aware of the wider picture and therefore worry less, relax more and consequently enjoy it all more. This could be complete crap, but just a random theory I'm quietly developing.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend with helpful husbands, peaceful nights and some time for yourselves. Scones my husband generally doesn't offer to give me time off but when I say I'm going out and he's having the boys, he is more than happy. Just tell him!! I will be taking my own advice this weekend for the first time in a long time. He has tried to timetable me in for a two hour break and I've said I can't promise to be back by then!

I'll be back next time the internet decides to work and I have more positive notes to bring smile.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 06-Apr-13 18:21:41

Yeah! 1st gramatically correct sentence for DD2 "Sister, I need that, Ok?". She also made a friend in the park and played for hours (literally) with her.
Slowly getting there smile

rainbowweaver Sat 06-Apr-13 18:47:12

smile can only aspire to those heights of idleness mous ! We went to the Vyne today, they had a new play area based loosely on The Lord of the rings. dD enjoyed hunting for dragons and searching for the ring. Left DH at home as he was grumpy, yet another tip from the idle parent! :D

NK2b1f2 Sat 06-Apr-13 19:05:11

Very idle parent here too :-) Spent considerable time in bed reading a book to the end while the girls ran around the house helping their grandma with various things. They both kneaded bread dough and made rolls for dinner. Then dd2, to my mother's surprise, laid the table for us using the correct amount of plates and put knifes and forks out correctly, plus little desert bowls and spoons. I think she's a smart cookie! Or else very good at observing where things go and copying us.

rainbowweaver Sun 07-Apr-13 03:47:07

Reading a whole book in a day?! <sigh> I can't remember when I last did that envy. Apparently if you decide to lie in bed till 12noon, your children might make you tea in bed - though may need to be 6 or older! grin

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 07-Apr-13 05:42:54

CP how the HV visit went?

<hugs> to all, it seems to be a difficult time for many.

SconesForTea Sun 07-Apr-13 08:08:26

Hi everyone, we had a frantically busy Easter weekend but very enjoyable. My favourite day was Good Friday, when I travelled solo by train (bliss) to sing in my Gran's old choir with my Dad. It was so good not to have DCs for the whole day. Really improved my mood grin

survival funny you should say that about us all being thinkers. I was showing DH our FB thread about jobs/qualifications and saying how bizarre it is that we have 3 PhDs among only 10 or so. I do wonder if it contributes to dissatisfaction; but then we're not all SAHMs. But I can only imagine the stresses associated with combining WOHM and motherhood (not parenthood, as fathers seem to cope fine hmm).

Mous when is your move taking place? Courage. It could all be fine. The sun came out yesterday, and is out again this morning smile

NK whoa your DD2 setting the table is extremely impressive. I don't think DD1 would have a clue beyond plates and perhaps forks (which she now declines to use since she regressed when DD2 started eating).

I idle parent as much as possible. They do bug me to play though. I would honestly rather do the housework than pretend play (and frequently do).

Right, have to get breakfast. No more idling for me!

SconesForTea Sun 07-Apr-13 08:09:35

Oh and Mous that is fab on the grammatically correct sentence grin Yay!

ClimbingPenguin Sun 07-Apr-13 08:35:40

though i think (at least for me) a lot of the over thinking is because we want to break the pattern of things repeating themselves i.e.avoid bringing our children up the way we were. Worth a bit less contentment on our part I think.

ClimbingPenguin Sun 07-Apr-13 08:36:12

HV went fine smile

ScienceRocks Sun 07-Apr-13 16:50:13

<waves>

Hiya!

Been to Cornwall for a few days - three nights of sharing a room with both children. First night was awful - kids weren't too bad, but DD did a lot of coughing (in her sleep) which kept me and DH awake, then I couldn't get comfortable on my sister's firm mattress, then DS wouldn't resettle.....Second night was pretty good (various changes, including decamping to another room were put into place!), third night not great as DS was wakeful again and not wanting to settle in the early hours.
But otherwise, it was a bit of a sanity saver - my DSis is one of those made-to-be-a-mother types with four kids who are all lovely and fab with DD and DS - her togetherness as a parent (and my DBIL's) rubs off a bit, I think!

And DD has been properly phobic about the wind, but by Wed pm, she was outside without a coat and fine about it (back to being phobic the next day, though...<sigh>)

End of school hols for DH tomorrow - probably just as well as DD has been winding him up ever tighter, I think he needs a bit of space from her.

DS hasn't been quite his sunny self these last couple of days - I'm pretty sure he's teething, his top gum seems rather inflamed and I can see the white beneath it. Looks like three or four are all on their way at once, which would explain it. He settled down after a wee dose of ibuprofen this evening, poor mite.

I'm pretty much better now, thankfully!!

Very impressed with how qualified everyone is and the range of interesting jobs people have/have had. What an impressive bunch we are!

ClimbingPenguin Sun 07-Apr-13 20:26:33

Roo just broke! I had a very upset DD. I have safety pinned it together for tonight and ordered a new one.

StoneBaby Mon 08-Apr-13 09:12:24

CP oh no. How is DD taking it? DS would be devastated if his Jake-Henry was to break, but saying this he was more that happy to stuff it through the letter box at the pub on Saturday grin

NK2b1f2 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:28:55

Considering the logistics and financial implications of leaving dh... (We are attempting DIY together. Enough said!)

StoneBaby Mon 08-Apr-13 14:47:24

NK you got me to worry until I read the rest of your comment grin

ClimbingPenguin Mon 08-Apr-13 15:04:44

well Roo is badly stitched back together, new arrives tomorrow am.

I just wanted to say DS has only been waking once a night grin. Technically he has slept through a couple of times as those nights we woke at 10, then stirred at 6.

My body has taken a little while to adjust to being able to sleep but now is trying to make up for it. DD woke 12:14, 01:14, 2:14 and then a couple of times afterwards but I was too out of it so by the time I bolted upright, DH was on his way. I think the upset of Roo-gate led to a disturbed night for her.

Took DCs to a farm this morning. This is my last proper week of SAHM so hoping to do something nice everyday. (Next week I am at my mum's and the week after I start work). Idea's welcome. I never took them to London on my own as with DS's leg I didn't feel comfortable with it. Not sure if I have left it too late now. Will have a gander at prices.

Hoorah at DS sleeping through, CP! Let's hope he keeps the habit up as you stat work!

DD has LOVED nursery the last couple of days - and been doing her Number Twos without too much fuss. All very promising. The wind phobia is still there, but I can usually cajole her through it - unless the wind is quite strong.

DS has been much more settled the last couple of days - his gums look less inflamed, although the teeth aren't quite through. I've managed to put him down awake as well (recently he's been zonked out thanks to poor nap maths) which made for a fair bit of protesting on nights 1 and 2, but none whatsoever tonight - just a bit of fidgeting, then off to sleep. It's cut the night wakings too, although he still wakes three times. Stuffy nose is the main culprit at the moment, although saline nasal spray seems to be helping. I'm hoping he'll have built up some better sleep habits in time for the 8-10 month regression after a few weeks of being more wakeful (mostly due to indigestion thanks to his increasing enthusiasm for solid food - and his cold and stuffy nose).

Arf at the DIY bickering, NK!

ClimbingPenguin Tue 09-Apr-13 20:39:02

well he is teething, he spent half of last night awake <yawn> but there is hope!

<runs off as it's a no laptop night>

stoofadoof Tue 09-Apr-13 22:14:00

<quick wave>

NK2b1f2 Wed 10-Apr-13 07:44:04

<waves back at stoof>

StoneBaby Wed 10-Apr-13 10:22:04

Waves back. I feel awful. A mix of nauseas and tommy aches. But I'm at work as DH think I'm doing a fuss angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now