Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

December 2012 - Smiles all round!

(996 Posts)

And the one where Spotty's gang gets some sleep wink

WLmum Mon 11-Feb-13 08:42:15

T is the same, great head control and can hold her own weight on her legs but I wouldn't put her in door bouncer yet - it's also about them having enough strength to hold their backs straight.

spotty I promise it won't last forever, dd1 was dreadful as a wee one but was sleeping 12 hours by 6 months - I did have to do controlled crying which would never be my first choice but I was totally at the end of my tether. He will either get better by himself or you may well decide gina ford or similar is the way forward - which is fine.

MaMaPo Mon 11-Feb-13 08:58:23

Spotty, have you tried other, non-GF sleep guides? I have the No Cry Sleep Solution which I like (so far) - some good ideas in there and I like the philosophy behind it. The problem is that it's not recommended to implement a proper regime until 4 months, I think. It still has good ideas for the younger ones, though.

I'm finding it really hard to implement any sort of routine this time. I would be happy with the EASY one but ds hasn't read that book hmm and I don't have time with dd to pay much attention! He's just soooo sweet though and loves cuddles grin

Snow blizzard outside luckily it's too wet to settle, apart from on my head
hmm

I know pidj we're only a week younger than you, 12 weeks sounds so big!

MaMaPo Mon 11-Feb-13 09:50:04

Spotty, this is a routine-free home as well, much as I try! Just spent over an hour trying to settle C in her crib, but she kept putting herself to sleep then waking up a couple of minutes later. I figure it was a good try, better luck next time, and now she's in my arms.

Just had a phone consultation with GP who has given me cream plus tablet for likely thrush. I should treat both nipples even though only one hurts, right?

We're 16 weeks on Thursday... shock

EggsMichelle Mon 11-Feb-13 09:56:37

It flown by hasn't it Pidj, I can't believe DS is nearly 10wks old!

Want to go swimming this morning but DS won't wake up, I'm sat here in my swimming costume, begging him to wake up! Today is DH first day at work, so I had made plans to keep us busy through the day. Little monster!

WLmum Mon 11-Feb-13 09:57:08

spotty re co-sleeping, I was at how quickly I got used to it. It has it's pros and cons but more sleep over rode all else. You won't squash him, but you have to do what's right for you. If dp were up every 2 hours he might be more supportive!

WLmum Mon 11-Feb-13 10:01:51

No routine here either! Vague night one but daytime is still rather random. All day sleeps are either on the move in the pram or car, or in the sling if we're at home.

IsThatTrue Mon 11-Feb-13 12:52:55

Ds2 seems to have settled himself into a routine for school run times. And generally he eats/sleeps while I work during school hours. Then spends evenings awake/eating then spends the night sleep/eating. I'm lucky he's a pretty easy baby although today he is being sicky and his tummy is obviously hurting. I've had to abandon work and wander round with him in the sling. At least some housework is getting done hmm

brooke89 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:32:39

I'm lucky, Isla has settled into a routine now and has slept 11pm -6:30 am for the past 4 weeks. I bet I I've jinxed it now!

WLmum Mon 11-Feb-13 13:46:07

Wow Brooke that's amazing!

isthat I guess that's pretty much what we do. I'm currently just debating whether to wake her so she can be changed and fed before the school run, or to leave her and have a wet hungry baby when we get back.

I would wake WL but only because I know once ds is hungry/really wet he will not stop crying even in a moving car!

I've been trying really hard to get ds to feed two hourly today. I feel really mean but I'm not getting anything done otherwise plus it takes me an hour to get dd from nursery so would prefer him not to be screaming then smile

Would garlic bread go with pilaf? We don't have any naan or anything confused grin

WLmum Mon 11-Feb-13 14:19:08

I did wake her for the reasons you say! I just always feel rotten about it!

Yes to garlic bread - goes with anything. You always seem to be making yummy food - puts me to shame!

Actually it's leftovers that I froze grin it's super easy though I tend to go for the one pot recipes off of BBC good food smile

brooke89 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:30:42

Random question - can you put the car seat in a van? DP has a big white transit van which he uses for work and just wondered if Its safe for LOs car seat to go in the front with us?

EggsMichelle Mon 11-Feb-13 14:34:50

Mmm... Pilaf and garlic bread!

We have a vague routine, but especially proud of his bed time routine, that works really well. He also has a good 2-3hr nap in the middle of the day (belly down on sofa) that I can rely on to get jobs done in.

We have been out most of the dy, went swimming this morning, came home for lunch and a minor melt down, however F managed to calm himself, then to work to freeze my pension payments (cannot afford the £170 per month whilst on mat leave) now at Starbucks then to asda. Enjoying this first day of DH at work, although fear I am going to rack up a massive Starbucks bill before I go back to work!

I can't do a bedtime routine with ds it just does not work! He screams in and out of the bath and when getting dressed so not calming at all confused then he has to feed a few times before he falls asleep between nine and ten hmm

MaMaPo Mon 11-Feb-13 17:02:07

Oh spotty, your ds doesn't let you catch a break. Is he down between 9 and 10 regardless of how early you start the bedtime?

We also have a vague evening routine of cuddling the baby to sleep (usually by 8 or so) which fell apart miserably when we tried to put her down in her crib instead last night. Cue screamy unsettled baby for the rest of the evening. I wonder how best to make the transition?

Yeah he does, it's about the only 'routine' he has that we've noticed!

He just started crying so I put him in the sling and he fell straight to sleep smile he's been awake since 12!

PurplePidjin Mon 11-Feb-13 18:52:22

Our evening "routine" involves Hollyoaks, then upstairs for pyjamas, night nappy (fitted with fleece sleepsuit and sleeping bag) and feed to sleep/dozy in bed. 10 minutes cuddling to make sure he's properly gone, then into the crib. He usually does 4-6 hours then nappy and feed, then at least one more burst of 2 hours. He's pretty much always down by 9, normally 8:30.

Interview tomorrow <wibble>

Chloe55 Mon 11-Feb-13 18:56:48

dd has slept loads today which is very unusual for her, she has also fed loads and has been quite unsettled when awake and she's usually very contented most of the time. She's 8 weeks today-could it be a growth spurt? Would that make her sleep more and be a bit ratty?

WLmum Mon 11-Feb-13 19:39:57

Our evening routine consists of cluster feeding from 8 til 10 then feeding to sleep between 10.30 and 11! Would love to get her down earlier but won't work til she is awake more in the day. Also, I usually do bedtimes by myself so dd3 is in the sling while I sort out dd1&2 so is often asleep between 6 and 8, can't really expect her to go to bed at 8.30 then! Long term plan is that her bedtime will be 6.30!

We usually get into bed about half seven blush I just feed ds/try stop him crying until he feeds to sleep. I think he's gone now shock at this age dd was down at seven feed at 12ish awake at seven!

IsThatTrue Mon 11-Feb-13 20:35:54

Evenings is my time with DS really so I don't mind him being up. He doses on and off and feeds/plays when awake. Then we go up to bed around 9/9.30 he has a last feed and goes down around 10/10.30.

He's still been really unhappy today, not sure what's caused it. I don't like it when he's sad!

minipie Mon 11-Feb-13 20:42:27

evening all

we've got a bedtime routine loosely based on gina ford - feed in living room, bath time, into sleeping bag, second feed in bed with lights low. DD usually gets drowsy during the second feed and then goes into her crib, if she doesn't then I rock her a bit till drowsy then into crib.

she usually sleeps about 4 hours at this point, but shorter stretches the rest of the night. especially when she's refluxy like at the moment sad. if she's really unsettled I end up with her sleeping on my chest.

Chloe yep that sounds like classic growth spurt.

HoneyMum we are 16 weeks on Friday (10 weeks corrected) so just a day behind you! how's it going? love your DS's name by the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now