Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

December 2012 - Smiles all round!

(996 Posts)

And the one where Spotty's gang gets some sleep wink

WLmum Sat 09-Feb-13 15:46:26

willyou sleeping on tummies is not really that big a deal, dd1 did and I was just told to make sure she was dressed slightly cooler as they get a bit warmer on their tummies. Lately I read some stuff about making sure they are not at risk of re-breathing their own air from having their faces in a little 'well' - firm mattress, well fitting sheet, enough air circulating in the room. My hv and dr scared me into getting a sensor mat which I think is unnecessary really but once they had scared me I couldn't put the thought away. I actually think quite a lot of babies sleep on their tummies but people are just afraid to say so. I'm sure it is a more naturally comfy position for them so is why many babies will sleep better that way.

Chloe55 Sat 09-Feb-13 18:17:22

Party was a success, one very happy little boy grin one very tired mummy, the wine is calling tonight, will have to get a milk out of the freezer for sure!

Dp has just said that there is no way he wants another baby. Ever. sad

Chloe55 Sat 09-Feb-13 19:40:14

Is it just a bad day spotty At this point with ds1 I didn't think I'd want another!

No, this is dc2. We've always said we'd only have two but I don't feel done!

WLmum Sat 09-Feb-13 20:46:47

Tough call spotty. We'e got 3 dds now but I do think if we'd have have had a ds instead of dd1 or dd2 DH would have been less keen on a third. Don't get me wrong he is thrilled with his 3 girls but I think one of each would have felt more 'done' to him. He's def done now!

FriendofDorothy Sat 09-Feb-13 20:47:46

Well Edward didn't poo yesterday so I was expecting him to go today. I was on a training course though and he delivered the most spectacular poosplosion necessitating complete change of clothes. He then went on to do another one needing a clean vest. I just kept my fingers crossed that he had finished as I ran out of clothes!

WLmum Sat 09-Feb-13 20:55:42

fod how come you had the little dude with you? I'm well impressed (and jealous) of how many seem to be successfully combining work and babies

FriendofDorothy Sat 09-Feb-13 21:09:00

It was a course on Caring for Ex-Offenders which the local churches were running and I decided I wanted to go to ensure that they didn't bitch about statutory services (one of which I work for). So, they knew I was coming with baby. My Mum was also attending so that was helpful.

IsThatTrue Sat 09-Feb-13 23:06:35

spotty that's gotta be really hard if you don't feel done. I'm surprised my DH hasn't put his foot down about me saying I don't feel finished now. Although maybe that will come as I've said definitely not for the next 5 years at least.

Ds2 has had a really fussy day today. I wonder if the curry from last night had anything to do with it? I can't give up curry! confused

One bloody hour. What was the point in going to sleep?!

WLmum Sun 10-Feb-13 02:34:43

Something in the air tonight spotty? We're up 2 hours earlier than usual. Hope you get a good stretch from now.

WLmum Sun 10-Feb-13 02:46:43

Hmm and only fed off one boob before going back down - normally she's a two boob kinda gal - suspect it won't be that long befores back for the other one !

Chloe55 Sun 10-Feb-13 03:44:04

Don't you just hate it when you change a nappy then bang! Another poo explosion straight after, especially in the middle of the night?! Oh no, wait, make that a third nappy change angry Would it be really bad mothery of me to think sod it, that one can wait a couple of hours? blush

WLmum Sun 10-Feb-13 03:45:20

And here we are

utopian99 Sun 10-Feb-13 03:46:24

Well we've had quite a time of it! Little O had again been splendid all day being passed from person to person and having a whale of a time, but stupid mummy didn't think that i should make sure he still gets his naps more or less protected, so every time he drifted off he'd end upaawawake within half an hour and so suddenly went into meltdown at about 9pm. Tried everything we could think of to calm him including skin to skin in a dark room and in the end took almost 1.5 hours of rocking/bouncing in arms to calm him enough to go to sleep, after which we were both too cautious and knackered to rejoin friends (sharing a bid house this weekend.)

On the plus side once we did get him to sleep at 11pm he stayed that way till 3.20 so nice long stint for us, as we got to bed at 1.30 yesterday (up larking about with friends.)

Have learnt a valuable lesson about safeguarding his natural sleep pattern though. Also to bring the baby monitor next time so i can leave him safely kipping in our room away from the noise. Should have done this after he fell asleep during his 8.30pm feed but instead put him in his car seat to sleep in the same room as we all were (14 people, not quiet!)

All well, you live and learn. I felt so awful for him, he was even crying what looked like real tears.. sad

Chloe55 Sun 10-Feb-13 03:46:39

I thought bf babies were meant to poo less? I'm guessing I change approx 8 pooey nappies a day confused

Chloe55 Sun 10-Feb-13 03:50:27

Ooh your weekend sounds fun though utopian (minus overtired baby of course) we have just booked a big house for nye-sleeps 26! Ds will be fine as he'll nearly be 8 but one year dd could be lots of fun, not as much 'fun' as my currently pregnant friends babies though grin

No such thing as a good stretch for us WL sad

Chloe ds poos loads too luckily he's stopped doing it at night though.

Utopian you're braver than me but sounds like a really good weekends smile (minus the overtired baby!)

IsThatTrue Sun 10-Feb-13 05:32:46

chloe ds2 used to poo at every nappy, proper huge pops. Now we've got it down to around 6 or so a day and very rarely at night.

utopian that sounds like a lovely weekend. It's my annual girls weekend away next weekend and I'm very sad that I'm not going but I couldn't leave ds2, and the whole point is for everyone to get a break from the dcs although they would love a baby to pass around and cuddle I would have gone down for a day but as its our first wedding anniversary I thought I should probably spend it with DH grin

Well DS went down at 11. Up at 3 and then 5. Not bad I suppose. Does anyone else really need a wee about 1 minute into a feed? It's not enjoyable although must do wonders for my pelvic floor

MaMaPo Sun 10-Feb-13 05:35:49

Spotty - sorry you're having another difficult night.

Dinner and cards with friends last night - C was overtired before we left but the walk and tube put her to sleep, and she wonderfully stayed asleep for the first 2-3 hours there allowing us to chat, relax, eat dinner etc. she didn't properly go down for a good sleep after that but catnapped on us.

She's been fooling me (in a good way) this morning - she fed just after midnight when we got in, and stirred, making me think she's getting up, at 2.30 and 4.30 before waking properly at 5.15. I'm pleased she slept so long but wish I hadn't woken up so much!

Utopian, your weekend sounds fab. I'm also beginning to appreciate the importance of daytime sleeps - must not be skipped!

if D bangs his head but doesnt cry i dont need to worry, right?

EggsMichelle Sun 10-Feb-13 06:42:50

I shouldn't worry, babies are pretty resilient and will tell you if something hurt! I know what you mean about honouring their naps, off to pil's today and make him nap before we leave/put him to sleep somewhere when bedtime comes round.

F spent the evening with my DM, while DH and I went to the cinema. F was asleep at DM's and in the car but the second we got in the front door he woke up screaming, took 1.5hrs to settle him again, he spent 20mins sucking on a bottle that would not give up the milk. On the plus side I got 4hrs, fed for 20mins, then another 2hrs. Trying the not changing his nappy technique tonight, definitely enjoying the shorter feeds.

How many people are just bf still? F is now up to 4 ff's a day due to his demand being higher than my supply. Was feeling like a failure, but have been reminded that women used to have wet nurses and babies were put on solid far earlier. Does mean I will have to be more prepared on trips out!

IsThatTrue Sun 10-Feb-13 07:36:43

eggs I'm just bf still but he's the first of my 3 dcs I've managed it with. As long as baby gets fed who cares how it happens. Health stuff aside as I have 2 perfectly healthy ff dcs, I'm only really doing it for the convenience!

honey if he was hurt he'd cry, try not to worry babies don't break too easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now