Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2011 - nearly 2, it's still all about you <disclaimer, I might be having a bad day>

(997 Posts)
UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 01-Feb-13 18:33:04

grin

Thanks to Frak, thread title queen!

All this is made worse by the fact B appears to adore her confused and a jabbered away at her endlessly. Strange child.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 27-Mar-13 08:37:25

Maybe B is taking the 'kill her with kindness approach'?! grin

Happy birthday M <jelly and ice cream emoticon>

JKS - if you take her to the docs today and start treatment today you can probably still go away for the weekend. I have a feeling it has to be treated for 48 hours before you can safely come in contact with people.

fraktion Wed 27-Mar-13 08:49:47

Happy birthday M!

Oh my gosh....2 year olds!

She sounds a nightmare, Fizz. Ugh. Up at 6????

JKS it may just be coldy grunge but it may not and it's definitely worth getting it treated. They are quite different though. We frequently get sticky coldy eyes but conjunctivitis was obvious.

JKSLtd Wed 27-Mar-13 16:38:56

Nightmare mil!

Got drops OTC from chemist yey, said she's fine to be with others as soon as drops started phew.

I feel emotionally drained. Funeral was today. The service was as lovely as these things can be and very apt for the little girl I remember.

Our big issue comes from MIL though. We can both now see what SIL means when she says she needs a break from her. However unreasonable SIL is about other things i can entirely see her point on this one now. Mil has MS, and I think most of her issues stem from there. But there is also the fact she is socially inept. Today was awful. She says the first thing that comes into her head at the top of her voice. When she decides she wants to leave/have a drink/go to the loo she announces it loudly. There was a bit of hanging around afterwards as family chatted as happens at these things. She got up and walked to the door to wait for us. Then came back to inform us she was ready to go. We said just wed be a minute and she went off into a rage, then sulked in a chair by the door, until coming back and sitting with us until we were all ready to leave. She also regaled the tale of when she met SILs new man. Asking if he used "protection" <cringe>. She seems to think its her duty as a "mother" to ask this and be given the answer! SIL is 35. She also told them she knew what they were doing, she could hear them through the walls shock. Then there are just the random comments/digs at SIL. They don't live happily together at all.

We also have concerns about her personal hygiene. I don't think she brushed her hair this morning before we left the house, but was spraying hairspray at 6.05 this morning. Enough to make me gag and be a little bit sick. She was last in the upstairs bathroom before we left this morning, so I only discovered this when we got home. But she had left the loo in an awful mess. Sorry TMI.

I don't know what to do. Dh and I have decided we need to sit down and talk to SIL. Tell her we understand where she is coming from wrt her mum. We can't really help practically because of the distance, but if we had a better idea of the treatments, assistance and support she is getting, we might be able to find out what else is available. Mil and SIL living together is not a long term solution I think. But mil at the age of 60 has nothing to her name, not a pot to piss in. Would she qualify for a sheltered housing place? She couldn't live totally independently. I think SIL would have to effectively throw her out for her to be rehoused. Sorry I'm just rambling now. But I think this is the opening of a huge can of worms, and I can't see a solution coming quickly and/or cheaply with no huge fall out. Can I put my head back in the sand???

Kittycatcat Wed 27-Mar-13 17:27:41

wineFizz. I don't have the answers but it sounds like a nightmare. Hugs.

Anyone looking in on us would assume she has mental health issues. Family just accept her, but I can imagine they are all cringing inwardly and going home shock at her.

Kittycatcat Wed 27-Mar-13 17:41:00

Sorry, also meant to say glad the funeral went as well as can be expected. It's so incredibly sad. Xx

Daisy17 Wed 27-Mar-13 18:21:32

Much sympathy, Fizz, and well done you for stepping up to help even though you can see how tough it will be. From my (limited) experience of MS it can affect behaviour and cause MH issues so it could well be behind her embarrassing outbursts etc. My friend's mum was and is still very much affected in that way. It may be that her treatment needs reviewing, if your SIL and MIL are living together it might be hard for them to notice changes and worsenings. Can't help at all with the housing issues, I'm afraid, maybe someone on the health boards might be able to help? Massive hugs, you've had a shocker of a day.

JKSLtd Wed 27-Mar-13 19:22:58

Hugs & wine Fizz, what a mess. Hopeful though that maybe medication/treatment for her MS could be changed & it might help?

She seems young for sheltered housing but it could be a possibility, I don't know enough about it though sorry.

JKSLtd Wed 27-Mar-13 19:24:41

More birthdays today smile

Gormers; DD1, Eva, 16/01 Already 2
JoEW; DS1, Conor, 22/02 Already 2
stuffedmk; DC2, Thomas, 23/03 Already 2
Poodle82; DC1, Joshua, 24/03 Already 2
LJB; DD2, Baby Girl, 26/03 Already 2
Aprilmeadow; DC4, Finn, 27/03 Happy 2nd Birthday!
Chillikat; Megan, 27/03 Happy 2nd Birthday!
Lowra; DC1, Amber, 27/03 Happy 2nd Birthday!

Petalouda; DC1, Felix, 28/03
Meg89; DC2, Teddy, 29/03
Alibabaandthe40nappies; DC2, Thomas, 28/03
Ulysses; Anna, 30/03
PussinJimmyChoos; DC2, Yaseen, 30/03
Liv77; DC2, Phoebe, 31/03
Thaney; DC1, Amelia, 05/04
Cyclebump; DS1, Henry, 05/04
NotAnotherNewNappy; DC2, Rosina, 06/04
BeetleBaby; DS1, Samuel, 07/04
rubybambini; DD1, Kitty, 08/04
Jaylar; DC2, Archer, 10/04
Kitstwins; DC3, 11/04
Sassy20; DD1, Lucy, 13/04
Daisy17; Seth, 13/04
JenAT; George David 16/04
Sats1977; DC1, Oliver, 20/04
Zafnoodles; DS1, Jacob, 18/04
lucieloo; DC1, George, 18/04
JKS; DC3, Mary, 20/04
Caramellokoalalover; DC2, Scarlett, 20/04
Frak; DC1, Marc, 21/04
AussieMum2Be; DD1, Dylan-Indianna 21/04
JollySergeantJackrum; DC1, Harris, 21/04
Chipsahoynicki; DC2, Isaac, 21/04
beckie90; DC2, Oliver Jack, 22/04
SaltedPretzels; DC3 Amelia, 23/04
MrsWajs; DC1, Robyn, 25/04
Natzer; April, 25/04
Tinwe; Hazel
Karoleann; DC3, Emily, 26/04
ecuse, DD1, Joanna, 27/04
ILikeToMoveItMoveIt; DC3, Ike, 28/04
LisMcA; DC1, Blair, 30/04
Architien; DC2 (DS1), Rose, 1/05
CountScoutula; DC1 Freda, 29/04
Trucha10; DC1 Evan, 10/05
Kittycatcat; DC1 Samuel, 11/05

+ Starshaped

Kittycatcat Thu 28-Mar-13 13:42:03

How ya doin today fizz?

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Thu 28-Mar-13 20:51:25

Hey,

Fizz, that sounds really tough. Hope things are getting easier.

F is two! He's had lots of presents and cake at nursery, and we're off to the zoo tomorrow!

I'm fine, SIL doesn't want to talk about mil. So that's it for now really! I've told dh to tell her if she doesn't want to talk then she can't turn round later and start depending we take mil or anything. We want to help her now, we are beginning. To realise how difficult it must be for her, but she has shut us off.

Mil is on no medication(?) for her ms at all, which I find odd. She does however take 2 paracetamol 4 times a day. Not prescribed, just over the counter. This worries me because a few years ago we fou d out she was taking one aspirin a day and had been for the last 5 years after the GP prescribed aspirin for some thing. Once the prescription was finished she just kept buying it herself to take. SIL has no idea of any medication she is on either. So we are in the dark. Mil goes to the GP on her own, so goodness knows what else she has been told/prescribed/referred for that she has forgotten.

Anyway! We are on holiday for a week now! No work til a week on Tuesday! Yippee!

happy Easter aprilites [bsmile]

MrsWajs Sat 30-Mar-13 01:52:20

Happy easter smile

Going to view our first wedding venue today, so excited!!

Kittycatcat Sat 30-Mar-13 08:05:05

Happy Easter all

V exciting mrsw. Loved planning our wedding

ooh MrsW! I waved on the way past yesterday! B is staying with my parents this weekend! Yay! We have just had our first full nights sleep where we woke on our own in abut 6 months! Dh has gone out to get breakfast and I've just had a bath smile

Lunch out later and a mooch round the shops. All is good!

GreenFirefly Sat 30-Mar-13 11:40:02

Happy Easter! We're not having the best though - poor M has been sick since Thursday (in a few years I'd say it was a hangover but clearly not at 2). We did think she was over the worst but threw up on me at 5.30 this morning sad poor thing hasn't really eaten for 2 days now. My parents are over too which is the first time they've seen her since Christmas when she was also ill.

Hopefully she'll pick up today...

fraktion Sat 30-Mar-13 20:42:22

Happy Easter!

Like firefly we've been stricken with the sick bug hmm now not sure whether we'll be going to Mass tomorrow morning or not. Might be a case of taking it in shifts! Luckily there are multiple options in the parish.

Happy belated birthday to F and I forgot to check the list to see who's coming up. Not seen ali in a while but T is soon.

fraktion Sat 30-Mar-13 20:43:32

Aha, checked!

Happy belated birthday to T as well and happy birthday for tomorrow P! We shall wave across to you smile

<<Waves back to Frak, Get Well Soon >>

Happy Easter
Yes P is 2 today grin.
So i guess that means my baby days are officially over, I am feeling a strange mixture of shock & sad but am also very smile and my family feels complete with 2 DC IYSWIM.

Kittycatcat Sun 31-Mar-13 11:12:49

Happy birthday P.

Happy Easter everyone.

Hope the poorly mummy's and minis feel better very soon.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 01-Apr-13 17:28:17

Hello, happy post-Easter!

I had a frightening dream last night. I dreamt I had realised I was pg when I could see/feel little hands and feet poking out of my belly. It was bizarre! I kept thinking "it's too soon!" I was trying to work out what we would do, since we can't pay for childcare for 2.

There was some other weirdness, but I can't remember now.

Anywho, I was surprised to find a hint of disappointment when I realised it was a dream. So maybe we will think of trying for number 2 at some point. Not for another year at least, though.

Hope everyone's feeling better. And having happy birthdays.

This relentless cold is starting to get me down.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 02-Apr-13 11:36:19

Hi everyone!

Happy Birthday to April babies who are two already smile

We had a lovely day on T's birthday and then a party here on Friday for family.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles Fizz sad

I've been poorly on and off since the end of January and just felt really tired and run down. The sun coming out finally is helping, what would be more helpful though would be if T decided to sleep whole nights in his own bed hmm <yawn>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now