Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2011 - nearly 2, it's still all about you <disclaimer, I might be having a bad day>

(997 Posts)
UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 01-Feb-13 18:33:04

grin

Thanks to Frak, thread title queen!

Kittycatcat Tue 19-Mar-13 20:28:35

Fingers crossed

JKSLtd Tue 19-Mar-13 21:52:35

Fingers crossed for interview, hugs for sadness.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 19-Mar-13 23:06:57

Yes, hugs and love for you and your family. It's so sad.

Good interview vibes from here. My DH has an interview on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Daisy17 Wed 20-Mar-13 07:02:44

Fingers crossed for interviews this week. Thanks, Jo. smile
So yesterday S woke at 430 and didn't go back to sleep - today he woke at 4, went back to sleep again BUT I DIDN'T!!!! What is my body trying to do to me?! We had three 630s in a row last week as well, shouldn't have got my hopes up......

Kittycatcat Wed 20-Mar-13 09:01:53

Anyone suggest good ride on toy for S's 2ndbirthday present. Not the cosy coupe he has that at His dgp's and he's going there 3 days a week when I go back to work unless thanTWO WEEKS

JKSLtd Wed 20-Mar-13 09:28:59

I always fancied getting one of those fire engine/police bike ride ons? On phone but may try and find a link later.

Kittycatcat Wed 20-Mar-13 09:31:59

Just been looking at the new wheelybug. Would go great on our wooden floors. S could race a in his walker

JKSLtd Wed 20-Mar-13 10:00:01

Oh yes, i know people with them and their kids love them. for some reason we've never had one.
Blimey, toys we've not got shock! grin

Kittycatcat Wed 20-Mar-13 10:14:55

Haha tell me about it! A friend just gave me some ikea toy storage but filled it with toys too!! Fab tho

Shite day here. Dh didn't get his own job. No one did. So for four years had graft turning round a failing department after moving 150 miles away from all our family and friends, not applying for previous jobs on promotion because they were "working on something" to sort him out, they saw fit to not give him his own job. His reward for this. Continuing to do his job. Their reward for not giving him it, demotivated person and not having to pay him a few extra ££££s a month.

I found out I didn't even get on the short list for the job I applied for a while back.

I realise we are both lucky to be working in semi secure jobs in the first place, but DHs job is what we moved for. It's the thing keeping us here. I tell myself to stick it out here because he loves his job so much. So now we are in this position, where does it leave us? Job market back home is buoyant. I could practically name my price for a job up there with my experience. Dh would to, but it would be a big shift for him public sector for 18 years does things to you.

I'm spinning, I don't really know what I'm thinking.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Wed 20-Mar-13 18:11:30

Sorry to hear that Fizz. And I'm angry on you and your DH's part. What a kick in the teeth not to give him the job.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 20-Mar-13 19:26:33

Sorry to hear that fizz. The job Market is just shite at the moment. People getting shafted left, right and centre, but not feeling they can complain because of the lack of jobs about.

I can imagine working in the public sector can be hard to leave. especially when you've worked there for a long time. But being treated like he has been could be the nail in the coffin.

Give yourselves a few days to rant, then when you're calmer think about what you want to do in the future.

kitty - we have a ladybird wheeleybug (called Gaston!) and the boys love it, as do the children who come here.

Ds3 is off to his Granny's in the morning so I can help at pre school for a few hours. I'm looking forward to it. It's probably the last chance I'll get to see ds2 as the big fish in a small pond grin - he starts primary in September <gulp>

JKSLtd Wed 20-Mar-13 19:28:11

Fizz - i don't even know where to begin. angry to start with!
Don't make any decisions tonight, just have a wine and veg out a bit.
See how the dust settles then have a considered discussion about the pros and cons of staying vs going home.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 20-Mar-13 19:29:37

I keep meaning to ask, is anyone else's lo starting preschool in September?

I'm going to have regular child-free hours again for the first time in 2.5 years shock What will I do with myself? ...... Clean the house probably hmm

JKSLtd Wed 20-Mar-13 19:32:22

x-post with you ILike & I was just thinking of posting the same q! <great minds grin>

DD starts in Sept, I think probably 3 mornings a week, 9-12.
She'll love it, me too if i'm honest.
I may investigate some low level office work but my main dream is for my Monday mornings come Sept:

Dh takes DS1 to sch anyway, so he can take DD - same site. DS2 gets the bus from the front door. I can stay in bed until approx 11.45!!! grin

Kittycatcat Wed 20-Mar-13 19:44:31

Fizz what everyone else said. Utter Shiite all round angry

Ilike do you have the small or large?

Alex has bought up every meal today. I'm sick of sick

Daisy17 Wed 20-Mar-13 19:45:53

Fizz, that absolutely sucks. Loyalty just doesn't seem to count for anything anymore. So shortsighted too. Spitting for you.

B starts playgroup in may. 2 mornings a week to start with building up to the whole week I think. He already goes with CM on the days she is the parent helper and he loves it. 3 hrs a session! Cannot wait!!

No hasty decisions here, but dh seems resigned that his tenure in his current role has come to an end. We will just have to wait and see what is round the corner. As they say where I'm from "fits fur yi, winnae ging by yi" ( what's for you won't go by you). There has to be a bigger reason for all this. I hope it becomes apparent soon.

JKSLtd Wed 20-Mar-13 20:14:29

He's probably right Fizz, doors closing and others opening and all that.

fraktion Wed 20-Mar-13 20:31:05

That's bloody awful. What a farce!!!

M is already at a preschool 4 sessions a week. Debating whether I keep him there all next year or apply for a kindy place at the nice primary near us in Jan 14... It's open as soon as they're 2,5 so he misses the Sept start.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 20-Mar-13 21:36:30

Large kitty. M can ride around on it fine, but then he is tall. I would get a large still though, lots of growing room grin

I like your style JKS grin

Kittycatcat Wed 20-Mar-13 22:01:13

S is a tiddler. Little legs like me. Can m still spin on it etc?

TwentiethCenturyGirl Fri 22-Mar-13 15:00:05

We've got a wheely bug and it never gets used TBH. DD never seems to have taken to it, not sure why confused

Sorry about your DH Fizz. We're going through a similar thing at my workplace at the moment. We're also public sector and it's the second time we've been through it in two years. I've been fortunate in that my position is pretty safe at the moment, however I work with lots of people who are similar periods of uncertainty. It's shit.

I've got friends who live in your hometown (pretty sure I remember you saying where you're from originally). Her DH packed his secure finance related job in because he wanted to try working for himself. It didn't work out but he was able to find a new job within a couple of weeks of looking. I was shocked - the job market up there seems to be completely unrelated to the rest of the UK. Maybe what's just happened has happened for a reason.

Yup, that sounds about right, but with that you have sky high house prices and some of the highest levels of poverty, because if you are poor there, everything costs so so much compared to elsewhere.

Anyway, my rant the other day was just that. A rant. I really don't think we will move back. We couldn't afford a house like the one we have here without living over an hour away from the city. Public transport is practically non existent.

Dh appears to have been an innocent victim in higher up posturing and personal vendettas. He seems much more positive about it and sees it as the kick in the arse he needs to sort himself out. He has been in the post 4 years and its a springboard post that folk generally do 2-3 years in then move on. He needs to work on his confidence, and sell himself better. He really undersells, modest, farming stock, stick in and you'll be rewarded. But that's not the world we live in now.

I was working today and it was hell. My team has been decimated from 8 to 2 due to illness and holiday and everyone wanted a piece of us today! I don't know if I'm coming or going. wine tonight me thinks! smile

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 22-Mar-13 17:28:42

I meant I, not M Kitty <doah>, and yes he can manoeuvre it well.

Anyone affected by the snow? Nowt here yet, but some forecasted for overnight and tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now