Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2011 - nearly 2, it's still all about you <disclaimer, I might be having a bad day>

(997 Posts)
UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 01-Feb-13 18:33:04

grin

Thanks to Frak, thread title queen!

Impressive bruise has appeared! And I can sort of walk on it without excruciating pain. Still painful enough to have dh run around after me!!

TwentiethCenturyGirl Sun 24-Feb-13 19:39:47

No more sleep after my last update hmm and am currently sat by her cot trying to get her to bed. Normally we just pop her in the cot and leave her too it. I'm not hopeful about tonight either...

Can't remember if I mentioned that this is my namechange? I will update the Facebook list later.

You did 20th! I think you have updated the doc too already! Or was that firefly?
I'm confused! Not difficult!

I forgot to say earlier, the chocolate wreath was made by OAPs in a home one of my mums fellow line dancers work in! It's hard work getting to the chocolate if I'm honest! They tied the buggers on tightly?

GreenFirefly Sun 24-Feb-13 22:27:09

I've updated the FB doc for me.

DD slept through (finally) again last night but she's being a bugger to get to sleep at the moment. It took over an hour tonight - DH has much more patience than me so I left him to it and ironed his shirts. Fair swap I thought.
She can self settle, but she likes to mess about first for ages. She has just moved out of the sleeping bags and onto a duvet though and she also seems to have stopped breastfeeding (this is day three without any - hoorah!). But doing both together must be a big change for her. I just hope she works out that bed is for sleeping soon as our evenings are non-existant at the moment.
Fingers crossed for another full night (for her - no doubt I'll need a wee at 2am).

Good luck with sleep 20thC hope it's better once she's off.

Ok I'm back on track with who's who!! Apologies!

Oscars on and I'm making inroads on the wreath!

JoEW Mon 25-Feb-13 12:04:11

Thanks for birthday wishes for Conor, the little man is two and armed with more diggers, trains, fire engines and general plastic tat than anyone could possibly need.

Hope everyone's doing ok. Sorry for short post. Hope you're managing Kitty, thinking of you. It's SO tough when you can't sleep.

Quick q: has anyone (everyone) taken their LO to the dentist? Am I a Terrible Mother for not doing this yet?

JKSLtd Mon 25-Feb-13 12:34:31

Hi Jo, dd hasn't been to the dentist yet. Can't remember when we started taking the boys - dh takes them as I'm too phobic to be useful. After 3 maybe? Or next time you go take him with you just to get used to it?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 25-Feb-13 16:38:51

Ds3 is going for the first time next week. The dentists only look in their mouth and see what has come through. It's more about getting them used to the dentist environment ime. So if they point blank refuse to open their mouth or even sit in the chair then it really doesn't matter.

I shouldn't be on here, I should be ordering my mums birthday present ......

abbyfromoz Mon 25-Feb-13 16:44:38

Took DD about a month ago as she got a gum infection from those blasted eye teeth! Felt a bit negligent that hadn't done it sooner but dentist said not necessary to worry more for getting familiar at this age. Can i add a question? Who brushes their lo's teeth every day? I let DD do it herself (albeit in a very inefficient manor) just don't want it to be an ordeal for her... What's the greater evil??

This is what I don't know Abby. B just chews his toothbrush (we get through quite a few) with dh or I trying to give them a scrub as he wriggles away. My neighbour is a dental nurse and pins her ds down while he screams to brush his teeth, which I do not agree with at all, but she keeps telling me about all the children she has seen in agony with toothache. She also disapproved of him still sometimes getting bedtime milk in his cot to settle. I try not to discuss teeth anymore with her in case she pins me down!

Kittycatcat Mon 25-Feb-13 17:31:43

S still has milk at bedtime but in the last two weeks has take a cup at last

JKSLtd Mon 25-Feb-13 18:00:28

I let dd do her own - mostly chewing admittedly but she is getting better. Sometimes if I have time I'll do hers properly.
IMO, and I know people disagree, I prefer they had the habit even if a bit haphazard for now rather than make it an ordeal and them hating it.

That's what I think JKS!

GreenFirefly Mon 25-Feb-13 19:54:36

Same here - she does her own while we encourage her to jiggle the toothbrush around. I also manage to forget about teeth cleaning every morning as we're in such a rush by the time we've had breakfast. They get done in the morning at weekends though, and every evening. She's been to the dentist but I'm only on yearly appointments so I don't suppose she'll remember when we go next. Not that the dentist did anything - she wouldn't even open her mouth.

Sadly wasn't a great night of sleep last night sad

Scan tomorrow smile

JKSLtd Mon 25-Feb-13 21:05:53

We often forget/run out of time in the morning too.

Firefly - good luck with the scan.

Keep meaning to ask, who's LO is in a bed (or cotbed with sides off) so far?
I'm really stalling even though I know DD would love it. But I also value the knowledge of her being 'penned in' blush! And she sleeps so well, I don't want to risk it.
And it may be my last baby so I'm dragging my heels I know.

Yep, another one here in the chewing their toothbrush brigade. I console myself that DS was the same and (fingers crossed) no problems discovered by the dentist so far. That reminds me have to rebook his check up as had to cancel it last week due to the tonsillitis.. (FWIW I took him for his 1st checkup just after his 3rd birthday). As ILIKE says its really just to get them used to it.

His 1st visit DS just sat on my lap, and the dentist talked to him and asked him to open his mouth so he could look inside. The 2nd visit he sat in the proper chair and the dentist counted his teeth just using his finger tip. His last visit was his 3rd and the dentist used the little mirror to have a proper look. I still brush his teeth for him, might ask next visit what age they recommend they start to see the hygienist.

BED, hell no, grin DS moved out of his sides on cotbed/sleeping bag combo when he was 3.5 and DD needed the cot. Admitedly, he was quite happy in there and didn't move into his new room/bed until he wanted too. He never attempted to climb out either.
DD on the other hand regularly takes her sleeping bag off when she wakes up, I think she will become quite the escape artist hmm

TwentiethCenturyGirl Mon 25-Feb-13 22:18:25

We're firmly in the cot camp here. She's staying in it for the foreseeable future (well, for as long as she's sleeping well anyway). I'm not sure I can face her clambering around in the night yet either.

We clean DD's teeth here and then let her have a chew afterwards. She mostly lets us get on with it, although we did have a period a few months back when she hated it and cried hysterically at the sight of the toothbrush. DH was great with her - very gently, encouraged her to do it herself etc and she got over it and back on track. She's taken to spitting the toothpaste out with gusto now too hmm

Good luck tomorrow Firefly smile

abbyfromoz Mon 25-Feb-13 22:24:11

Ooo another good question! Have been deliberating over the whole cot/bed saga for dd with dh of late and we have 3 flights of stairs- albeit carpeted with railings which she manages very well during the day but still not sure how she would go stumbling out of bed in the wee hours. Had her in bed with me in Australia recently (due to jet lag/ time differences and missing daddy)... She climbed over the top of me and SPLAT!confused Fell belly down on the floor... Just instilled my fear of converting to the bed, needless to say she was straight back into the travel cot after that!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 26-Feb-13 06:06:54

Morning.

F's got the sides off now. He takes a while to fall asleep, and roams around a bit, as he did in the cot, but once he's asleep he's good. Over half term he could get up and play for a bit in the morning.

We've got a stair gate at the top of the stairs, and his door is shut (to keep the cat out).

He could have waited, but it seemed like a good idea at the time!

I'm at a&e with my poorly foot. rested it all day Sunday and most of yesterday but back at work today proved all.is.not well.as soon As I walked back and.forth to.the.primter a few times it swelled up and.my toes went numb!

info bar of doom above.the.desk currently places my wait at 2 hours! <bored already>

JKSLtd Tue 26-Feb-13 14:22:54

Poor you Fizz!! If its broken an you end up in plaster can you get home?
Friend of mine drove herself to a & e then was signed off driving, had to get a taxi home and her dh to go back and get car later. Cost a bit!

Am sat in hosp too - ds2's annual appt at gosh. Hope they aren't running too far behind schedule...

been triaged and xrayed alrea dy. they think.is just a sprain.

if needed I can get a taxi. would only be £5 or so. will worry about getting the car back later!

xray lady battered it with a pillow and its really aching now. I want to cry. stupid shoes, stupid pavement, stupid booze and mostly stupid me sad

GreenFirefly Tue 26-Feb-13 15:44:56

Scan was fine, although I had my dates wrong and we're actually due around 23rd Aug! This meant they couldn't do the nuchal fold measurement so just took bloods. It's all a bit more real now!
Need to get this housemoving thing going now - survey on the house we're buying is being done today. Fingers crossed it doesn't throw up anything unexpected.
So should we say yes or no to a wedding on Aug 3rd which is 2 hours drive away in the middle of nowhere? Considering that M arrived at 37+3 ish weeks? Although I was in labour for 2 days. I've already withdrawn from being bridesmaid at the wedding (good friend, not family).

ooh firefly! how exciting!

I would tentatively accept, but let them know you may not make it. if they need a hard and fast yes or no id say no. if they want you there they'll understand that you might need to call off. if they insist on an answer then they are knobchops and don't deserve the pleasure of your company grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now