Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sept '08 - The one where they go out into the big bad world (well school!)

(547 Posts)
ninja Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:25

Hi, couldn't find a new thread and there was only one message to link to one.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes creating this!

Badvoc Tue 23-Apr-13 19:31:39

Thanks.
No point feeling sorry for myself (but I do smile)
Just not sure what if anything I can do about it.

Meglet Tue 23-Apr-13 21:04:18

bookmarking. I no longer have the energy to type as DD has sapped my will to live <<sigh>>.

notcitrus Tue 23-Apr-13 22:40:39

Sympathy debs and badvoc.

Amazingly, A's best friend at nursery has been offered the same school as us, despite living two streets away from their first choice. They are over 80 on the waiting list!!! I can only assume all the kids already there have 4 year old siblings.

I'm finally really enjoying Spring. smile

Badvoc Wed 24-Apr-13 06:53:30

Meg..you ok? sad
NC...that's good news!

Meglet Wed 24-Apr-13 13:30:52

badvoc DD is out of control at the moment. Bedtimes are carnage, she tears about for about 2hrs these days, getting under my feet, making a mess and occasionally waking her brother up angry. She was up twice in the night last night waking me up for a cuddle / duvet straighten. I'm just worn out by her and don't have the energy to fight it these days. I'm on my lunchbreak now and planning this afternoons tea / choc regime to keep myself awake.

nc that's great news. DS only knew one child at his school, but he had loads of friends within a week or so. They all seem to bumble along together at that age.

Badvoc Wed 24-Apr-13 16:21:33

Meg sad oh, i remember the night wakings sad Any further along with the assessments?
PM me if you dont want to talk about it on thread x
Got a meeting with ds1s teacher tomorrow....he starts middle school in sept <wibble> and we are having a meeting to discuss him being taken off the SEN register - which he has been on since he was in year 1 smile
it's great and a lovely reward for all his hard work and it will mean a clean slate at his new school.
I am also not convinced that sen provision in secondary schools is any good. I would rather keep working in his spelling and writing at home as afaik we are using the best programme for those (its called apples and pears)
Afaik he isn't even getting any interventions/provisions at school ATM anyway...
Poor Toby and a nasty fall at pils last night and his cheek is really swollen and bruised sad
I checked inside his mouth and it looks ok, also no teeth damaged.
He is eating and talking fine.
Was I wrong not to take him to gp?
He does look a bit like a chipmunk who has been in a fight smile

Meglet Wed 24-Apr-13 19:03:07

Oh bless badvoc poor Toby. I think that if he's talking and eating ok he should be fine, if a little bruised.

I've got my ASD assessment in July, so we will see how that pans out. Then we have to crack on and do DD. Mums here at the moment so I can wind down and hopefully have a peaceful bedtime with DD, I've bought her a new book to make the peace.

Badvoc Wed 24-Apr-13 20:50:27

That all sounds very positive meg.
Hope the assessment goes well.

You have an ASD assessment Meglet?

Hope it goes as you want/need it to.

Meglet Wed 24-Apr-13 21:26:29

star yes, 30yrs too late. It's an NHS referral, they've pulled their finger out at last.

Blimey. I hope you find it helpful. It must be such a relief to have the appointment.

notcitrus Fri 26-Apr-13 19:41:23

Hope the assessment goes well meglet.
I'm trying to complete DLA application before my area moves to PIP in 6 weeks time. I started a couple years ago but the forms are just so depressing and inaccessible. At least now I have diagnoses which sound a bit more respectable.

Good luck Meglet and NC

I'm finally getting my head around school stuff. Grey skirt, trousers or pinafore, school logo blue polo shirt and red logo cardigan or jumper. Optional black school logo coat for £15 which is waterproof and fleece reversible.Is this a good idea?

My only worry now id D's behaviour, which is awful atm. If she is the slightest bit tired, she behaves like a 2yr old - breaking crayons on purpose, throwing, yelling 'NO'. She also occasionally wets herself at home - never outside or at nursery so think it's a control thing.
She is still in pull ups at night and they are soaking wet in the morning. What do we do to get her out of night time nappies?! She is really good in the day (unless tired and grumpy) and did come out of them for about 6 months at night and did well, then got floored by an ear infection and went back into them and has stayed there ever since.
Anyone got any good ideas?

ninja Sun 28-Apr-13 23:09:10

Hi MrsA, C will no doubt behave a LOT better at school than at home, and that's the way it should be!

About the night time nappies, I'd really not worry, it will happen in time and not worth pushing I'd say. A good proportion of her class will still be in nappies at night. DD1 was dry ish at 3.6 and then started wetting again when DD1 was born, was never completely reliable and then wet again when we separated and is now absolutely fine. I do know children who weren't dry until older though. It's not considered an issue at all until 7

ninja Sun 28-Apr-13 23:11:18

Should also add the obvious, plenty to drink during the day (to train bladder) but none after tea time. Avoid dark drinks in the evening (blackcurrant etc).

ninja had a shite night with DS up with his teeth, I'm fasting today (doing the 5:2 diet and finding it remarkably good for me) so not feeling 100% but your words have really cheered me up. Thank you.

<less shouty mum, more ignore mum with time out and consequences box> and repeat.

Consequences box is not for her to go in btw!!

DP is so naive sometimes and gets so annoyed that she keeps on misbehaving ie he expects her to rmember good behaviour everyday, whilst in hindsight for me, it was clear she was having a tiring and 'off' weekend.

ninja Mon 29-Apr-13 23:42:16

a consequences box sounds like WAY too much fun if it was to go in!

I was a horrible shouty Mum yestrday, wondering why my children were so entitled and whingy.... then I gave them tea and they were lovely. I then remembered we'd been to a car boot and had lunch there at 11.30, I'd snacked since but they hadn't blush I felt awful, had reduced DD1 to tears (in my defence I was buying her a bike as PART of her birthday present so would have thought she could be a bit grateful).

What I'm trying to say is I hope think it's normal.

Badvoc Tue 30-Apr-13 07:21:00

Bookmarking

Hi everyone, Had an epic weekend with a 40th birthday, surprise 50th, and a wonderful wedding of some very dear friends. Its a long time since I've been to a wedding where I've known the vast majority of the guests, it was a scream! The kids have been shunted from pillar to post and put to bed by various different babysitters though, so we're paying the price behaviour wise too.

MrsA I will give a shamelss plug for my friend's new 5:2 diet book. That's not her in the picture although she'd like everyone to think it is wink

My 6yo DD and 4yo DS are both in nappies overnight still, DS's are dry more than DD's but with nowhere near enough consistency for me to consider taking him out of them. As Ninja said, its considered normal anything up to age 7, and then there are ways of helping them (or you can spend lots of ££ on the alarm thing that wakes them when they wee)

NC hope the application goes well

ninja did you find a good bike for your DD?

meg hope things are going well assessment wise.

DS1 learnt to ride his pedal bike on Sunday, so proud! He still can't start off on his own (I think its a confidence thing more than ability) but he can ride it pretty fast and seems to be getting the hang of the breaks. Once I'm happy in his ability, we'll put the seat down on his balance bike and re-gift it to DS2 who is already trying to climb on and ride it <hyperventilates at the thought of three children loose on bikes on the school run>

Debs75 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:32:11

MRSA Don't worry about night time nappies it all takes time for them to become dry and as long as you can afford them and you don't make her feel bad for wetting(I know you wouldn't) then she will grow out of it in time. My DD1 was way over 11 when she stopped wetting the bed, my friends dad has never stopped wetting the bed albeit very rarely.
Find a coping strategy that works for you, changing sheets, plastic sheets and lots of spare pj's helps, and it will happen in the end. Be prepared for school to maybe knock her back a bit whilst she gets used to the change.

Carrie 3 dc's on bikes sounds like a nightmare

Ninja my dniece gets really bad if she is hungry or thirsty, a terrible temper and nasty side come out. dsis has snacks and drinks with her constantly now to try and thrawt it.

Well my hound has astounded my and is behaving like a spring chicken. Her legs are loads better so not sure what is wrong with her now. Back there tomorrow to see what they think of the new superdog.

meglet Tue 30-Apr-13 21:51:43

Well, today I either had a genius parenting moment. Or DS will be scarred for life. He bashed over a fantastic tall block tower DD had built, then laughed angry and DD burst into tears. So I marched into his room and pulled apart a lego construction he was working on while he looked on aghast. Afterwards he said it wasn't very nice having something bashed over and he won't do it again. I have to say it was a much more pleasant punishment than shouting at him. Only time will tell if he does it again.

debs glad your superdog has perked up.

mrsA DD is a bit feral too. Her tantrums do tend to dominate the house these days, she tries to bite me on a weekly basis and still throws things. But she's fine at nursery, although nursery have said they can see how strong willed she is and understand what I have to deal with. Thinking back I'm sure DS was hard work in the run up to school starting (he is an autumn baby too) but there weren't any horrific incidents once he started. IME those first few weeks of reception are very much play based so the children have time to find their feet and the teachers can get to know them. You will hopefully have a one to one with her teacher before she starts and a home visit so you can give them the heads up on how she behaves at home.

Thanks for all your kind messages of support about DD. It took me a while to realise that for the past few weeks she has been going to nursery 4 days a week, up from 3 days, so has been knackered.

(aside, long story, DBiL was looking after DD and DS on Mondays for £25 and he did his back in, and now says he's still not well enough. MiL is having DS on Mondays and we put DD into nursery on Mondays cos she needs it and is cheaper than DS as he's under 2. Feel bad messing nursery around and wish Dbil will give us a firm, yes I can have them or no i can't)

DS is teething his back molars <yawn> But they share a room now and it's going well - night wakings from DD are greatly reduced.

Carrie we are behind on bikes. DD has a balance bike which she rarely goes on as she loves her scooter. DS is turning out to be the same as her - a runner - so is on reins everywhere. He does the 'collapse in a screaming heap cos I don;t want to go that way' dance.

And on a very sad note, my mum died at the weekend. We don't know when, her ex partner found her in the ensuite when he couldn;t contact her (they were in the middle of a nasty break up and he had moved out to be with his pregnant gf). She posted on my fb page on Friday night and then died sometime between then and Sunday night when he found her.
She hadn't changed her will so the cheating bastard gets all her assets (they'd been together 25 yrs). I don't know how I feel. I was resigned to the fact that she was a crap mum and a massive narcissist and she was a damaged person who damaged me but she was still my mum and I have some loving memories.
In didn't help that she was on diazapam (?) and drinking heavily too. They reckon a heart attack.
I am sad as she had quite a shit life and she didn't deserve to die alone.

She was only 66 and what makes me sad is that she had all the episodes of Merlin on Sky+ and was working her way through them cos she loved it but her ex cancelled Sky on her so she lost her recordings and will never see it now. I was going to buy her the dvds for her birthday.

How do you miss someone you fell out of love with and had only seen once or twice in the past yr?

ninja Tue 30-Apr-13 22:59:50

So sorry MrsA I know that you'd posted some of the difficulties with your Mum but as you say she's still your Mum and I'm sure that you thought you'd have plenty more years to with her.

Badvoc Wed 01-May-13 06:34:32

Mrsa.
I am so sorry.
Just desperately sad, as you say.
And no matter how things stood between you, she was our mum and that is a huge link to your past gone.
My sincere sympathies x

Badvoc Wed 01-May-13 06:35:16

....I am workings way through merlin on cable. I will think of your mum next time I watch x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now