Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sept '08 - The one where they go out into the big bad world (well school!)

(549 Posts)
ninja Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:25

Hi, couldn't find a new thread and there was only one message to link to one.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes creating this!

Meglet Wed 17-Apr-13 22:00:24

Impressively comprehensive list badvoc!

All I will do differently this time is to only buy DD a couple of new school logo polo shirts for the first year (mainly for school photo day), and make up the difference in DS's old logo ones and a couple of new plain polos from Sainsburys. In their school those first few weeks in reception can be as messy as pre-school and those white polo shirts don't stay white for very long!

Not sure how common it is but mine have 2 winter coats each. One for school / nursery and one for home. It means they can trash the school coat and still look presentable at weekends. It also makes washing them less stressful as you're not trying to get them dry overnight. I've got a bit anal about it now and their current weekend coats will be swapped to their school coats in Sept and I'll get a slightly bigger size up for their new weekend coats. That way something always fits and looks clean. I don't have enough to think about do I hmm.

MrsA not sure where you buy shoes (I've seen your posh kids shoe links on FB!) but if you do go to Clarks then you usually have to make an appointment around the end of August. So much less painful than waiting around for your ticket to come up!

nc Sorry to hear that. We got a letter in the post today confirming DS1s place, with a phone number to ring for appeals, which is basically the education department at the council, so you could try your local one? Also I think possibly schools manage their own waiting lists?

MrsA we got a letter from the school a while after the confirmation of place from the council. They invited us to an information evening where we were given the book bags and masses of information on uniform etc etc and you could meet the teachers and ask whatever you want.

A couple of things still surprised me though - we were told half way through the year they needed trainers for outdoor PE (already had plimsolls for indoor). Thankfully sportsdirect.com at the shopping park is cheap!

We have two coats for our kids - a ski jacket for winter (warm, waterproof, can take the knocks of the playground), and a properly waterproof lightweight one (regatta etc) as we always walk/cycle to school come rain or shine. Thankfully we live near a designer outlet and can get branded ones for cheapness (day trip to York anyone?! grin)

Also this year on advice from a friend I got DD's school shoes (from Clarks at designer outlet...) half a size bigger and started with an insole in, so one pair at £21 has seen her through the whole school year.

DH will be back from his 10 day business trip tomorrow. Can't Wait!

So..... every single primary school child has the same uniform except the school jumper/cardi? Why do I see 3 colours of dress in Asda then?
And Badvoc, do they mean 6 vests for school or it's handy to have 6 vests or you need 6 vests in your bag? Both DCs are hot children and may sweat in vests.

I am sooo in the dark about this and not in my comfort zone.

I will phone the school and see what the score is about an intro day/evening

Hiya. I am totally clueless. Expecting an email I think. In the Algarve where it was 27 degrees which really does feel like a different and unattached world......

Badvoc Thu 18-Apr-13 06:58:44

All schools have different colours Mrsa.
For example toms old school was grey trousers and green jumper.
His current one is navy trousers and red jumper.
His new one is black trousers and navy jumper!!
Meglet is spot on...2 coats, one for home and one for school.
Also, wellies for school and wellies for home too!
I only buy the school bag and jumper withnthe logo on otherwise it gets really expensive.
Oh! And for girls, schools tights too!
I always have separate stuff for school and home, even down to undies as then you know exactly what's what and theirs no fading about each morning looking for decent socks etc for school.
hTh x

Badvoc Thu 18-Apr-13 07:03:42

Oh....and don't panic smile
You have months to sort all this out x

Would you keep the wellies at school or do they wear them and on wet days take their shoes in a bag with them to change into at school?

I make no apologies, you're going to get lots of these questions over the coming months smile

I know I have time but my head works better if I'm prepared and understand. It's all very difficult though.

Would red patent shoes for school be frowned upon? DD loves her start rites and they are so hard wearing.

We have two pairs of wellies - easier than remembering them every day, and at £6 in sainsburys its not too awful a cost.

DD's school are flexible about black/grey trousers etc, but shoes must be black.

Generally the girls wear blue or red summer dresses, but they wouldn't be turned away in yellow or green.

Some girls wear red tights, but I only let DD wear M&S's finest grey ones!

Neither of mine have ever worn a vest.

Today we heard that DS1 is anaemic. He had lots of tests after repeated skin infections and bleeding around his bottom. Everything came back negative, except iron levels. But I know that's just a symptom, not a condition in its own right; he has a small appetite but a very good diet, so why isn't he absorbing iron from his food? dMIL is convinced he has coeliacs (its in the family, and he has other symptoms like slow growth, small appetite, sleeps a lot) but they tested for it and it came back negative. Time to acquaint myself with the allergy boards...all ideas gratefully received! He's getting iron supplements from tomorrow and will be allowed orange juice with every meal instead of just on Sundays! And dried apricots will form a massive part of his diet!

Badvoc Thu 18-Apr-13 19:01:54

Generally school shoes should be black or navy iirc.
Carrie...could you get a private test? I say that as the NHS is the cheapest and not very reliable.
I am considering get in tested myself as my mum is and I am sure I am but e NHS test came back negative.

notcitrus Thu 18-Apr-13 21:29:27

Feeling happier today - school says we can look round any Wed afternoon, just let them know, and the new building not only has funding but is being built starting at the end of term. We'll make sure we're on the wait list for 1 and 2, though possibly may not take a place at 2 depending on how much we like 3. And see if a place comes up at 1 - a friend's child got in who I thought was almost as far as us, but actually quite a bit closer when I checked the map. By quite a bit I mean about 200m...

A mile walk twice a day will be good for ds, right? And the bright red jumpers make the kids easy to see! Seriously, we had ds and dn in orange and yellow T-shirts in the park last weekend, and it was so much more relaxing being able to pick them out easily, rather than staring at every mousy-haired child in bluish clothes.

NC glad you're feeling happier. We are at the far end of our school catchment and its nearly a mile each way, so I walk nearly 4 miles a day. I love the exercise, and the fact that I lost a stone in DD's first year there!

badvoc I would consider that if I don't get anywhere with the NHS, but I'd want to be pretty sure that that's what he had before putting him through it. Will wait for our follow up appointment and see what they say and if they would re-test, or consider the biopsy.
Back to the enuresis clinic tomorrow with DD
nurse "how's it going?"
me "she still wees in her pants every day"
nurse "hmmm...try this points/sticker chart"

We are getting our money's worth out of the NHS!!!

Meglet Thu 18-Apr-13 23:03:28

MrsA Shoes have to be black at our school too.

I've given up on school wellies for DS as he hardly wore them, although he walks to school in them if it's really wet or snowing. But DD will have some at school come Sept just in case.

A cheap second (and third) set of winter hats + gloves are useful. I use elastic to sew the gloves to their school coat cuffs. Primark always seem to have a pack of 2 gloves for £2, you might get some bits in the last of the winter sale.

I check school bags on the walk home to see if there is anything I need to take out, read, sign. And pack bags the night before. I've set up a little coat hook, shoes rack for them so they can reach everything they need in the morning. not that they pay attention to my anal attempts at organisation

Vests?

Wtf are vests?

Badvoc Fri 19-Apr-13 07:41:41

Erm....a form of underwear.
For winter.
So, in this country you only need them 9 months out of the 12 smile
Mrsa...also you might need to provide a pencil case etc.

Lol. I know what they are but just don't 'get' them. I thought they were what people wore during the war and not since.

I just found out we got our choice. It was what we were expecting as we were renting a road away during applications and have exchanged on a house even closer but it's nice to have the official note.

NC when DS was at nursery and dd at preschool they both walked a mike a day (well a couple of times a week I took the buggy for dd) and I found that actually the walk made them arrive ready to learn and the walk home was useful for bring them down but also ensured they had my undivided attention to talk about the day and share worries. I actually thought that distance was optimal and woukd have gone for that here if I didn't have to be on the doorstep to get in.

Badvoc Fri 19-Apr-13 10:34:24

<hides her thermal vests from star>
smile

notcitrus Fri 19-Apr-13 14:03:16

Yes, I now usually enjoy the walk home, and often the one to nursery (about 3/4 mile). Will see if that's still the case once dd learns to walk...

I'm a recent convert to vests, as a wuss who feels the cold - same effect as a thick jumper, without the bulk or hiding your nice top. Ds is starting to rebel against them but as he never feels cold, so be it.

Badvoc Fri 19-Apr-13 14:25:14

I love my thermals.
Nothing like thermal fabric from neck to ankle smile

Debs75 Sun 21-Apr-13 20:39:03

The hound is poorlysad
She has been slowing down a bit in the last few weeks and yesterday she was pretty listless, last night she was dragging her back legs and this morning she could barely stand. Went to emergency vets and she says she has arthritis and she has a nerve problem. She is knuckling her back paws. They gave her pain relief and an anti inflammatory and she has slept all day. Back there Tuesday but I can see us taking her tomorrow as she is so poorly looking.
I have discussed with DP and DD1 and if the vets say she is in a lot of pain then we have agreed to have her put to sleep. I want to have a right good cry about it but I am having to be strong for everyone else. I feel as if I am losing a friend not just a dog.

Oh and talking of friends I am helping my best friend move over an hour away on Fridaysad. Oh God now I really need a cry. I can't see me getting much done this week at college, health promotion is the last thing I want to look at

Badvoc Sun 21-Apr-13 20:54:05

Ah debs sad
Am sorry about the hound. They become such a big part of family life dont they?
Dh is back...yay!
I have been turned down for yet another job sad only a few hours at a local waitrose, but still....maybe I really am unemployable!? sad

debs have that good cry and let it all out!

That's rotten about the job badvoc But hooray for DH!

Its only monday lunch time and I'm exhausted...yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Bad,

Three quarters of advertised jobs go to someone already earmarked for them, especially in this climate. It's nothing to do with you not being employable, and everything to do with the law that says you can't give jobs to your friends unless you put an advert out first.

Badvoc Mon 22-Apr-13 15:54:26

Thanks star.
Feel very low ATM.
I dont expect to walk into my dream job (especially in this economic climate) but I have applied for at least 12 jobs over the past year - some in retail, some pt admin jobs - and I have never even got an interview.
With Dhs new role it's very difficult. I don't want to think I will never work again but what with school term time to work round and Dhs travel it's going to be tough sad

ninja Tue 23-Apr-13 19:21:38

Badvoc that's tough sad as Starlight says it's just a bad time. There'll be so many people going for each job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now