Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sept '08 - The one where they go out into the big bad world (well school!)

(553 Posts)
ninja Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:25

Hi, couldn't find a new thread and there was only one message to link to one.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes creating this!

Debs75 Mon 25-Nov-13 15:14:31

Robyn has tonsilitussad We thought she had a chest infection like Lucy has but she got really poorly Saturday, high temp, coughing moaning about her neck and falling asleep. Decided Sun morning to go to OOH. She had a temp of 39.5! Dr said it is definitely tonsilutus, she could see pus at the back of her throat. Robyn is secretly glad as she advised lots of ice pops and ice cream to soothe her throat and bring her temp down.grin

Just not sure what to do about school. She was off today as she was up most of the night but apart from the odd cough she has seemed well. She just has to have antibiotics 4 times a day and on an empty stomach. I'm not sure school would give them to her.

ninja Wed 27-Nov-13 23:28:16

Oops, it's been a while. Work has just been stupidly busy, and I've been away every weekend for the last couple of months both with the kids and without - which is great in some ways but probably a bit silly.

We too had parents' evening and a good report. Like you Meglet, I wasn't sure what I was going to hear, it really could have been anything. In fact, though, she's doing fine and is very loving and interested and has friends and all positive things. She was star writer this week and has a sash to wear which she's very proud of smile

She seems to have got over the tiredness most of the time and has stopped clinging to me ( which was purely an attention thing I think)

Debs, sorry to hear about the tonsillitis, I get it a lot and it's horrible. Not sure about going back to school. I'm sure they could administer medicine, but will definitely prefer not to. 4 times makes it difficult to avoid school time.

Struggling to know what to get Maebh for Christmas, any good ideas? She's too young to go down the electronic route (IMO) when we already have an ipad etc she can use at times. It just seems such a transitional age.

We're off to a single parents' Christmas weekend on Friday (yes, another weekend away!). Should be fun though, lots of mulled wine, mince pies, open fires and children's entertainment. Can't be bad!

Poor Robyn, that's rotten sad

ninja is Maebh into art and craft type things? I've got DD a mini mandala from hobbycraft and she loves it, and what she produces looks genuinely excellent! Stashed away I've got a book of the crayola papers that are black, but you scratch them off and there's a rainbow pattern behind. DD has done some amazing designs on that.

I've got each of mine a sticker book, annual (rainbow fairies, mike the knight, and fireman sam respectively) and new pjs/dressing gown. Rock and roll! Sainsburys have got some good novel gifts.

We've all been ill here, DD and DH on antibiotics for chest infections, DD also had a uti. DS1 pretty shattered, and DS2 doing the terrible twos big time! DS3 totally gorgeous and sleeping brilliantly, but full of snot, poor love. Also has cut back hard on the feeding since his 6 week growth spurt, leaving me quite engorged. Also the little monkey won't take a bottle. I missed the window (I know I know Gina, you say week 3 for a reason...). It doesn't really matter, except it really curbs my options for going out over Christmas!

Debs75 Fri 29-Nov-13 21:10:13

Robyn seems to be getting better, temp steady and she has more energy. Still got an absolutely barking cough though. She did manage a party tonight so will see how that leaves her tomorrow. Hopefully they will be all back at school on Monday and normality will resume.

Meglet Fri 29-Nov-13 21:41:32

Tonsilitis is so so awful isn't it. I used to get it in my 20's but it's been better since I've had kids.

ninja I was stuck for presents this year, especially for DD. So they've 'just got a Wii to share. Cuts back on the wrapping smile.

I miss Gina carrie. Those were the days, set routines and nap times.

NotCitrus Sun 01-Dec-13 16:21:37

Ug. It's been quite a week - dd got stomach bug on Tuesday, managed to get through my and nursery's entire stock of spare clothes by the time I picked her up. She then spewed over herself just as we came out of after-school club with A, twice more in the hall, then fell asleep on my chest, woke, puked in my cleavage and down my only fitting suit, then breastfed to sleep (so much for giving that up...), and puked all over my pillow.
She was then fine but came down with terrible cold next day, gave that to MrNC on Thursday, me on Friday, and then MrNC spent all yesterday throwing up. Now all on sofa watching ZingbloodyZillas on repeat while MrNC ensures we are ready for plumbing & electrics tomorrow. We have roof done but not windows yet.

So poor A still not in new room as had no chance to paint it this week and last Sunday I ended up taking dd to A&E as she swore she'd eaten a needle that I'd taken off her earlier which was then lost, so she got Xrayed three times. Next morning found she'd put it in her toy box...

Working from home in evenings 2-3 times a week after kids in bed isn't fun but it does mean no work on other days to keep my hours up. Also I end up bonding with others doing the same, and nothing like a report sent just before midnight to make your boss feel guilty! smile i do point out that if I get in near 10, leave at 4.30, then don't manage to start again until 9.30, it's not exactly overtime...

Badvoc Sun 01-Dec-13 20:48:42

Hi all
Sorry been AWOL for a while but been in and out if hospital with gallstones.
Had my op yesterday so am feeling a bit battered and sore.
Hope everyone has recovered from all the illness...Toby has a cold last week and ds1 is just finishing ABs for tonsillitis.
My aunt has been given 2 months. Not surprising news, but obv we are all very upset.
All in all it's been a Rough couple of weeks sad

Meglet Sun 01-Dec-13 22:03:50

Oh nc and badvoc. That's too much illness for both of you sad.

Are you still in hospital badvoc?

Badvoc Mon 02-Dec-13 08:51:07

Hi meg.
I am home, came home yesterday. Had op Saturday evening.
Feel a bit battered, didn't have a good night last night.
Toby very clingy sad hopefully by the end of the week I will feel up to school run...

NotCitrus Mon 02-Dec-13 09:52:23

Hi meg - dd is mostly better. I couldn't get her to sleep without feeding last night so left her fast asleep on my bed. An hour later a small mischievous figure appeared in the living room and was ecstatic to see both Mummy and Daddy. Thankfully too confused to object to being plonked in her cot after that! She's trying to climb into the bath herself so I just hope she can't climb out of her cot for another year or two...

Xmas nn
<twirls>

Meglet Mon 02-Dec-13 19:56:17

I'm never organised enough to do a name change. So here's a fsmile instead.

...Toby's sent home from school poorly sad
He feel asleep in the classroom! sad

Meglet Tue 03-Dec-13 19:06:18

Roll on school hols <sigh>. In a desperate attempt to speed up breakfast for these last 2 weeks of term I've just bought the dc's a giant box of coco pops. Sod having them for holidays only it's full on sugar rush in this house now. I'm sick of the fannying around and their half hearted weetabix eating in the morning.

I think I need to ban myself from the lone parents board. It never fails to make me feel crappy and unorganised sad. The dc's are too 'spirited' for my plans to run smoothly. I do everything I'm meant to do but it's still chaos.

Debs75 Tue 03-Dec-13 19:47:55

Sorry you have been ill Badvoc my mum had a gall bladder infection several years ago and she was really ill with it.thanks

Normality has resumed here, at last. The girls are back at school, well DD1 goes back tomorrow, and I am knuckling back down to it at college. Just a few weeks of illness and I have got really far behind. I have had to accept defeat on one module so I can do well on the others. I'm sure it will all sort itself out in the end.

Lucy just has 2 more weeks at nursery before she breaks up for Christmas. Must make a mental note to get all the Christmas shopping done and wrapped and hidden before the joy of Christmas is spoilt forever

Meglet Tue 03-Dec-13 21:06:27

Well, that was an interesting bedtime. DD wanted me to read 'Where willy went' to her, we've read it before so no problems there but then she started asking the classic "is that what you and Daddy did?!!!....where did you do it?!!!!!.......". hmm .

And then it was on to DS's bedtime where I had to explain what being gay meant, including very stern instructions to never ever be mean to anyone who is gay, and that it is a totally fine thing to be. I don't mind explaining this stuff, but it's very hard to get all the important stuff in during the attention span of a 7yo while his little sister is waving his light saber around on the landing confused.

I think I need some chocolate.

Debs75 Thu 05-Dec-13 21:37:47

Meglet that sounds like a very interesting but difficult bedtime.

Oh my goodness there is just too much illness going on! Seems everyone is either getting the sick bug, or the chest infection one. And badvoc big thanks for you!
meglet that sounds like fun grin
NC I hope for your sake too that your DD doesn't learn to get out of the cot. This morning DS2 climbed out, emptied DD's entire wardrobe and sat in one of the drawers. then the big kids thought to come through and tell us <bangs head repeatedly>
Not content with having DH and DD on abx, DS3 then deteriorated with his cold over the weekend and was hospitalised on Monday. We've had four days of tube feeding and oxygen and are finally home. During which time DS2 needed abx for his chest, and DH got a second, different batch to try and finally shift his. DS1 has a cough and is knackered, but its not gone to his chest yet. Oh and my mum's in hospital with pneumonia.
Poor little poorly baby, although at 9 weeks, he was by no means the youngest on the ward. They had 8 cases of bronchiolitis simultaneously.
I realised I left a huge stash of EBM in the fridge on the ward. Its no use to me (ref earlier bottle refusal) but maybe SCBU could use it?
So we're right back to zero routine, feeding little and often and letting DS3 sleep as much as he wants. Which is irritating as he's just reached the stage of coming into a light sleep and waking bang on 45mins into a nap. But of course its all worth it to see him well again!

Debs75 Fri 06-Dec-13 19:54:40

Oh dear Carrie that is a poorly house. Have somethanks

I hope you are all feeling well soon. I wouldn't worry about a routine too much with so many poorly people(although I know you will be tearing your hair out) Things will pick up as they start to feel better and a few days feeding little and often won't hurt the little man.

Meglet Sat 14-Dec-13 18:15:53

bookmarking.....

NotCitrus Sun 15-Dec-13 20:55:08

We're technically healthy again here but dd is now expecting to sleep in my bed and not happy to be put in a cot. MrNC trying to sort out plumbing of extension. No prep for Christmas done yet - and I always feel inadequate when Xmas cards arrive as there's no real alternative to handwriting so I can't do them.

Two more days of work this year - then I can sort stuff out...

Meglet Sun 15-Dec-13 21:06:27

nc my xmas cards are still in a pile on the kitchen work surface. I'm off tomorrow so I'm optimistically posting some to the States.

DS has finally scribbled out some cards and DD has 'signed' half of hers.

I've crossed 'write christmas cards' off my to-do list. Without having actually done them grin. Life is, quite frankly, too short. I'd love to say we're being noble and giving the money to charity instead, but the fact is, cards just aren't a priority for our time this year!
Total shocker.... no one in my immediate family is currently on antibiotics shock Although I suspect DD will be once again after i've taken her lastest urine sample to the doctors.
badvoc how are the gallstones and how is your aunt?

Thinking of those for whom Christmas is going to be very difficult this year <hugs>

Only four hours until DH gets home from work, then we've got two weeks of family time and festivities! I doubt I'll be on MN in that time, so I'll take the opportunity now to wish you all a very happy and peaceful Christmas (as much as having a 5 year old in the house allows for peace...) especially those who have had more than their share of heartache, grief, illness and stress this year.
See you in 2014 fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now