Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sept '08 - The one where they go out into the big bad world (well school!)

(553 Posts)
ninja Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:25

Hi, couldn't find a new thread and there was only one message to link to one.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes creating this!

Debs75 Wed 23-Oct-13 11:06:31

The family fun day was great Carrie we went to the local soft play. £1 each to get ingrin they had a great time then we went to Morrisons for dinner and home to read their new magazines and do some crafts with Dad. It was pouring down all day and we got soaked just running form the carpark to the shop and back.
How is Alex fitting into the Carrie household? I loved the newborn stage with all of mine and was surprised how quickly Robyn and Lucy fitted in with the family. It is when they get their own opinions that things get hard.

Impressed with your 12 mile run Ninja I am absolutely pants at running. I prefer to walk or bike everywhere and cycle the 3 miles into town for college each week, unless it is pouring.

12 miles by accident?!!! I'm more likely to eat 12 biscuits by accident blush Impressive stuff ninja
Sounds like a great day debs smile
Alex is fitting in great, he's so lovely smile smile smile He weighed in at 9lb 10oz this morning! No wonder I've been so hungry!!! My lovely mum has been here this week, so I've managed some quality time with DD and DS1 which has been fab. Half term starts at 3:05 today, yippeee!
Hope everyone has a great break from the school run grin

Meglet Sun 27-Oct-13 22:09:02

My regular catching up bookmark post!

Meglet Tue 29-Oct-13 21:34:09

I'm determined to not fall off this time.........

Debs75 Sun 03-Nov-13 11:28:28

Bookmarking.

Hope you all are fine

Badvoc Sun 03-Nov-13 13:46:00

Hello all smile
Hope everyone is doing ok?
Carrie...how is baby Alexander doing?
Toby had his first parents evening last week. He got a very good report smile she said he was quiet! <hollow laughter> and he is in the top phonics group and is doing well with his reading and number work.
Ds1 is enjoying college and seems to be entering puberty...the answering back and muttering under the breath has begun in earnest smile
Dh was away last week with work and has another 2 trips before Xmas sad
I am ok. I think. Going to the all souls service at church today with mum and sis. Mum is having a new roof put on and so we had to empty the loft yesterday. That was hard. All dads bits and bobs....he was a great one for keeping random plugs/modems/cables/bits of wire.
We have no idea what it's for so dh took it to the tip. My sis and I are going to go through the photos and put together a photo collage for mum.
It's been 14 weeks.
And I still can't believe he is gone.
I am trying to focus on positive things, but my aunt is very ill and an uncle by marriage died on Friday so I feel like its nothing but sadness and bad news ATM.
And I will leave you on that cheery note! smile
Love to all x

Lovely badvoc have a brew and some cake! What a lot you're going through <hug>

How's all the exercise going everyone? I tried on my size 12 jeans yesterday, just to see how far I have to go and what 13lb overweight means in real terms. I was quite shocked to not even be able to get them all the way up, certainly couldn't do them up! Sigh.

Half term went well, and I went away for the weekend with DD and DS3 (not sure I'll ever get used to writing that!!!) to meet my DBro's 7 week old twins. Never again will I complain about being tired or busy.....!!!!!
The train ride was great, DD did sticker books, and DS3 charmed all the other passengers. The boys had lots of fun back at home eating pizza and going on bike rides, it was such a successful weekend we might even do it again!

Parents evening tomorrow...we know DS1 is getting on great with reading and writing...we just wonder what he's like in class! He spends so much of his life absorbed in his own games and it can be quite hard to attract his attention. I wonder how well he follows instructions, and whether he's got any friends?!!

Meglet Fri 08-Nov-13 13:03:08

back again to catch up......

Meglet Fri 08-Nov-13 13:06:39

carrie we've got parents evening next week. I know there won't be any major problems but I'm intriuged as to what DD's teacher will say about her. She has established DD knows her own mind though. And she bit someone this week angry, words have been had.

Debs75 Fri 08-Nov-13 15:04:49

Robyn's parents evening was last night. DP went as I have been sick since half term and didn't feel up to leaving the house. It was a good one. She is great with her numbers so will be going into top set in January. She was so enthusiastic she was answering other childrens questions. Her reading is getting better and she enjoys her books, writing is improving. She loves crafts and is very imaginative in the home corner. She has made loads of friends and is happy and popular. She just needs to remember things and to calm down a little. She has lost her coat several times, this time we have had to get her a spare.
All in all it is a great report, she has settled in and is learning and happysmile

Meglet Mon 11-Nov-13 21:41:20

What a surprise, DD's teacher said she is "very determined and knows her own mind". No problems with her parents evening, the biting incident seems to have been a one off. Apparently she's very good at speaking in front of the class smile. She's doing well learning phonics, but she's left handed so we might need to work on her handwriting a little more.

DS's report was good. Although I've put my foot in it with regards to his maths level. His teacher wants him to stay in the top set (he's one of the less able in the top group) but is worried he gets anxious when he doesn't get everything right. So I've told him it's ok to not get it all right all the time and his teacher will help him. But DS has got his knickers in a twist and is worrying about it now sad. He even wandered down after bedtime as he was worried. I thought I was helping him going through it but I seem to have done more harm than good. My anxious nature has rubbed off on him I think sad.

NotCitrus Mon 11-Nov-13 22:05:09

A is left handed too - school say he's doing ok but I got BIL (leftie ex-teacher) to advise. He says watch they turn the paper and don't do the contorted hook grip - usually ok when they use pencil but can be an issue when they get pens.

He is starting to read which is fun to see and playing lots with numbers, PE is so much fun and he is a good windmill, and I'm starting to recognise the other kids and adults from his class. He's even eating some things like fish fillets and burgers, though changing the menu at half term so what I told him would be for lunch didn't appeat was most unhelpful. Most of parents evening was spend assuring the teachers he does eat lots and isn't starving. Just bread-based...

He's so tired in the mornings, so getting him up and into uniform can be a nightmare. After that he's ok, just as well if my hands have given up for the day.

Window frames and skylights being fitted to the extension this week! Hope to get A into new room in two weeks - poor boy was promised it at the start of the year!

Lovely mummy friends...please speak to me about...nits <weeps> All hints and tips gratefully received! This is one parenting rite of passage I could live with out to be honest.

Do they stock valium in the same ailse of Boots as the nit combs? If you've seen my DD's hair then you'll appreciate what I'm up against <weeps some more>

Taking DS3 for his 6 week check this morning.

Parents evening went well for both children. DD is 'a great role model' and DS1 does pay attention at school (at home he gets so absorbed in activities that it can be really hard to attract his attention). And they both play with a variety of children. Phew!

Back to my nits research. wine

Meglet Tue 12-Nov-13 22:19:01

carrie we've not caught nits yet (the little beasts caught worms once though <vom>).

I've got a nit kit ready just in case, Hedrin, nitty gritty comb and cheap conditioner. I think the drill is to nuke the buggers with chemicals, then wet comb every other day, and wash bedlinen, hoods, hats etc.

<Passes wine and valium>

Meglet Tue 12-Nov-13 22:22:27

Oh, and I do preventative nit combing every friday bathtime. It's hell and the dc's hate it sad.

GP's can prescribe different chemicals for it if you're sensitive to over the counter stuff.

Thank you - meglet that's exactly the programme we're going with. I got hedrin on prescription (thanks mumsnet for saving me a fortune with that top tip! grin ) and put that on DD overnight. This morning I washed it out and scraped her hair back in two french plaits. Tonight I'll do the conditioner and nitty gritty comb.

DS3 sailed through his 6 week check. The GP make a cack-handed job of measuring his length - came out at 2cm less than he was 3 weeks ago! So he's leaving that to the health visitor wink. Everything else was given a clean bill of health. He gets weighed tomorrow which feels like an exam I need to pass!

Meglet Wed 13-Nov-13 13:39:05

I didn't know hedrin was on prescription too. I'll remember that. Another school mum said she had a reaction to over the counter stuff and the gp prescribed her a different lotion

As soon as science cures cancer I think it needs to get to work on nits, and wisdom teeth.

Turns out there's nothing quite as satisfying as a sink full of dead nits, after a happy hour spent with DD, chatting away while I went through with the nit comb.
<need to get out more>

Meglet Wed 13-Nov-13 21:16:54

carrie you've been on the wine and valium then wink.

Debs75 Thu 14-Nov-13 13:29:15

We seem to be escaping nits this time around. DD1 and DS got them dreadfully and kept them for about 7 years. I used the lotions at first but it sets off my asthma so we did the wet combing. It does work but unfortunately every child in the area needs treating or they just reinfest. You don't need to bother with the bedlinen or hats as the little blighters die after a couple of hours without head heat. DD1 has very thick easily knotted hair so it was a nightmare getting her hair done, DS we just shaved off when he had it bad.
Carrie I like cracking them between my nails, very satisfying.

Glug.

Meglet Fri 15-Nov-13 21:10:40

It was our nit combing night tonight. <Rocks in corner>

NotCitrus Sat 16-Nov-13 13:32:16

No nits here, thank goodness. Never had them myself so maybe ds will be immune? [hopeful]
He had his first school trip this week and SAW A COW WEEING!!!

More delays on roof (the skylights arrived but can't be installed until leadwork is finished), and the main windowframes have to be built in A's new room. Which is wet in one corner from rain not having a gutter yet on the new roof... At least workers are turning up each day and doing stuff.

As you say NC, at least the builders are turning up! Hope you get some speedy progress and a watertight home soon!
Nit combing again tonight <braces self>

Meglet Mon 25-Nov-13 14:26:51

LOl at "cow weeing!" nc grin.

I've just been in the loft to dig out the unused Xmas cards from last year and make sure I know where the stockings are. For once they were in the box I thought they were in and I didn't have to rummage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now