Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sept '08 - The one where they go out into the big bad world (well school!)

(553 Posts)
ninja Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:25

Hi, couldn't find a new thread and there was only one message to link to one.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes creating this!

NotCitrus Fri 13-Sep-13 12:57:01

Great news Carrie!

Kagey yes, it will be so worth it - in fact the house is loads warmer already without having to use the old freezing kitchen, and less space to keep tidy is quite handy. Huge steels arrived today. A's birthday party this weekend will be interesting though (six boys, no garden!).

A trotted off excitedly to school the other day to see his best friend (there may have been a small tear as I followed him down the road, amazed at how my tiny baby who stopped breathing after birth is now a jumping joke-telling schoolboy), cheered up friend, and had to be dragged out 2 hours later to go have his plaster off. Day 3 and school is 'so much fun' and he wants to go to school for ever and ever. smile

He claims to have spent all day playing Spiderman but has started sounding out letters in words when I read to him and is playing shops with his birthday presents, so some learning is happening already! He starts after-school club next week so hope he likes that - best friend won't be there.

MelT76 Sat 14-Sep-13 04:07:04

Hi everyone, not been on here for ages but thought I would catch up with you all and how everyone's getting on. Will try to keep up more from now on x

Well yesterday we had DS1's party which was a huge success - love Wacky Warehouse! His cake was amazing (I can say that as I wasn't the one who spent 3 hours on thursday night creating 'shuttle going round planet with aliens' grin)
I realised yesterday afternoon that I hadn't really felt the baby move much during the day, I shelved the thought as I was too busy! In the evening I had a big glass of cold water, lots of stuff out of the kids party bags sugar and sat down...baby had a wriggle but not much. I got into bed but couldn't sleep, so DH persuaded me to phone the hospital, who said to try a hot drink, but if I still wasn't happy, to come in for monitoring. So at half midnight my wonderful best friend came and picked me up and we had a little jaunt to the maternity unit! We were the only people in triage (apparently the same room where I was assessed when I went in in labour with DS2...I have no recollection of that whatsoever!) and spent an hour on the monitor. Heart rate was absolutely fine, but they did find a trace of infection in my urine sample. She also said the baby was quite difficult to palpate (sp?) so I wonder if its gone back to back, hence my perception in the change of movements. So one of DH's jobs tonight is to blow up the birth ball! The midwife said that she got monitored for reduced fetal movement in one of her pregnancies, and went into labour the next day...can't say I feel like I'm labour, but the BH continue with a vengeance!
I love the NHS, that in the middle of the night we could rock up, get 1-2-1 care by such a great midwife and all the medical reassurance we needed, and they couldn't have been lovelier about it, even though I turned out to be a fraud as baby was fine!

Sorry that's a very 'me' post...I haven't told my parents I went in as they're enjoying their two new grandchildren and I don't want to divert the attention away from their moment...mine will come soon enough!

It was so weird being back in the maternity unit though...the smell, the corridors, just the feel of the place. I'm pretty nervous now confused

<waves to Mel>

Meglet Sun 15-Sep-13 10:46:56

bookmarking.......

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 15-Sep-13 19:30:24

So does that mean you've got a new baby today Carrie?! grin I didn't tell my parents when I went in to be monitored for lack of fetal movements either.

Lovely news about your niece and nephew.

School is going ok for ds, although last week the reality hit that he was going to be there for five full days. Of course he has been saving his best behaviour for home hmm

Nope...still pregnant!
Had a really nice family day today, DH and I both agree that we feel 'ready' now - practically, emotionally, just like the pregnancy has finished and we want to embrace the next stage. Although if I could skip the childbirth bit that would be nice wink
ILTMIMI that afterschool behaviour is just the pits isn't it?!

Badvoc Mon 16-Sep-13 21:19:08

Carrie...how exciting! Not long now! smile so glad everything was ok. i got minitored about 3 times for reduced movements with toby but i had excess fluid....thinking of you x
Poor toby was really poorly last week sad only a week at school sad he had a chest infection, really high temp and sickness. He was back today so fingers x.
Dh is away for 2 days from tomorrow sad hate it.

Debs75 Wed 18-Sep-13 15:13:10

Lots of baking today for Robyn's b'day tomorrow. She is having a 'decorate a cupcake' theme so loads of cupcakes, lots of frosting and decorations. Just loving the mad sugar rush coming our wayhmm

Kagey Wed 18-Sep-13 21:40:09

Happy birthday Robyn for tomorrow, I hope the baking goes well!!

It's Erin's birthday today but unfortunately I was at work so I missed out on a lot of excitement. She happily dished out a packet of haribo to each of her classmates. Her party is on Saturday, I shall need lots of wine after!

Good luck Carrie!

Still here...I'm 39+5 now, and had what I hope will turn out to have been my last midwife appointment this morning. Head is now engaged, I'm measuring spot on. And most importantly the dear friend who was 2 weeks overdue has now had her baby, so I won't be queue jumping and I'm 'allowed' mine now!
Maybe I'll have a due date baby?! I have two sets of people lined up to have the children on Sunday so that would work well!
Happy birthday to Robyn and Erin, hope they're enjoying being 5!

Still pregnant...
But today's great distraction is that its DS1's 5th birthday! I thought I would have a newborn by this point, but I don't which means I could really focus on his birthday, we had a great family breakfast, opened some presents, and are going to our favourite deli coffee shop after school for epic cake (thanks grandma!)

I've been having loads of tightenings that have got me thinking 'this could be it!' since last Friday evening. I was up for 2 hours in the night on Tuesday with regular ones which were too uncomfortable to sleep through, but not actually painful, and fizzled out by 5am. Sunday was officially my due date and I bumped into my community midwife at the hospital while I was visiting a friend's newborn, so she gave me a quick stretch and sweep while I was there! All that did though was bring on more painful but unfruitful braxton hicks.

I'm feeling disproportionately terrified of the birth...on the one hand my last ones were very fast, and I'm worried about not making it on time, or it being too intense and traumatic. On the other hand the midwife at my 20 week scan said 4ths can be awkward and hideously long! I do getting a rising feeling of terror every time I have a twinge, but at some point it will be the real thing, and there's no getting round the fact that I've got to get through labour in order to meet our baby!

Hope everyone else is doing well, and building work/school runs etc are going well smile

ninja Wed 25-Sep-13 21:04:43

Hi!

Just had M's birthday party smile went really well. Some crafts and DD1 organsied a scavenger hunt. I made a Mike from Monsters University cake (that I'm very proud of ;) ) Debz - wish I'd thought of the decorate a cupcake , genuius idea. They would have loved it and it would have saved me a job!

She's getting on fine at school, although she went onto yellow today. It'll do her good to realise that there's a consequence to her actions.

Carrie - hang on in there - glad that at least you managed to enjoy the birthday without a newborn.

Went to college reunion at the weekend which was quite drunken and really fun. I'm playing actch-up now as I have my first masters essay due in next Monday, my house looks like a bomb site and work has just got busy. Oh well I'll get there

Debs75 Wed 25-Sep-13 22:08:59

Oooh Carrie you do know you have to give us hourly updates now or we will all start panicking that we might miss the labour and birth.grin
Just try and relax about it all, babies come when they are ready and whether it was last week or next week you will be ecstatic and so will the family. I have always heard that it gets easier the more you have so fingers crossed are you having a waterbirth again?

debs you've had four haven't you......??? Keep saying things like they get easier the more you have! One of my panics is it being a little too swift and me not making it, or delivering alone, or by the side of the road with an audience of members of the public <oh the shame>

Debs75 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:15:50

Well my labours did get quicker but Lucy (no4) was induced over 3 weeks early so took forever to get started. Once labour was in full swing it was quicker. Still over 3 hours though which is what I would class as quick

Ninja decorating cupcakes is the way to go. Less chance of it going wrong and loads of variables for the dc's. I learnt how to do rainbow frosting and the dc's think it is magic

I've just cried all over the midwife blush
Just feeling overwhelmed, want it to be over. Despite my emotional state and anxiety, my blood pressure was still completely normal, and baby's heart rate very pedestrian, she reckons its a 'lazy boy'!
Everyone's being so kind and I'm sure the childcare will all fall into place. I had a brief panic just now when I got an email about the road closures for the Yorkshire Marathon, which affects our journey to hospital. I then read it more closely and realised its not until 20th October, oh the relief that its not this sunday!
I'm sure the baby has grown massively in the last week, but I'm still only measuring 40cm.
Sigh.

NotCitrus Fri 27-Sep-13 14:08:27

Best wishes Carrie!

How are all the new starters dealing with school? A got to day 7 before deciding he was 'too tired' to get up. But is fine once dressed and trots along happily. And, amazingly, is eating new things at lunchtime! Apparently he sometimes says he doesn't want to go to after-school club on the 3 days he's there, but by the time I get him he doesn't want to leave. Huge playground, only 20 kids, bread and jam - his idea of heaven! smile He seems to be playing shops a lot and has learnt new songs. And fart jokes...

NotCitrus Fri 27-Sep-13 14:08:36

Best wishes Carrie!

How are all the new starters dealing with school? A got to day 7 before deciding he was 'too tired' to get up. But is fine once dressed and trots along happily. And, amazingly, is eating new things at lunchtime! Apparently he sometimes says he doesn't want to go to after-school club on the 3 days he's there, but by the time I get him he doesn't want to leave. Huge playground, only 20 kids, bread and jam - his idea of heaven! smile He seems to be playing shops a lot and has learnt new songs. And fart jokes...

Kagey Sun 29-Sep-13 20:41:03

Any news from Carrie?

NC dd1 seems to have settled in well, and she's not been too tired, just starving hungry at pick-up time. Rather than dinner at 5.30, it's now 4pm.

Meglet Sun 29-Sep-13 21:16:22

Bookmarking to catch up!

Debs75 Sun 29-Sep-13 21:27:46

Robyn has settled pretty well. We had a blip the first week as she didn't make any friends. Luckily that has been resolved, she is quite popular and everyone seems to know her. She did tell me last week 'that boy over there is my friend, I don't know his name though'
We have had to have Thursday and Friday off as she caught a cold and it wiped her out. She and Lucy are exhausted from the early mornings. She then passed it onto me and I have spent all weekend sniffling.

Keeping an eye out for Carrie on here and facebook

Meglet Sun 29-Sep-13 21:33:16

NC school is all about fart jokes and learning how to make fart noises on your arm, at least according to DS. And perfecting gangnam style dancing in the playground.

DD seems to be ok at school. When I drop her off and watch the other children I can see the difference between her being a sept born and the summer born children. She's still a terror at home but I guess I'll have to suck it up and accept she'll behave for everyone else and not me.

carrie not long now. Hope the days aren't dragging too much if baby hasn't arrived.

I like hearing about big birthday parties now I know I never have to host one again. From now on it only needs to be small, close friend parties.

<creeps back in>
Helloooooo! I've had a baby!

So here's the bit you're actually interested in:

Having been having twinges/contractions/tightenings/call them what you will since Friday 20th, I was getting increasingly irked and anxious. I didn't realise how much my previous quick birth had affected me (I just told it as a funny story) but every twinge brought me out in a panic attack at the thought that it could suddenly kick off and I had next to no time to organise child care, get DH back from work, get to hospital etc etc. By the end of 9 days of this I was barely eating, couldn't sleep, and just permanently on edge and very anxious.
We phoned the midwife on Sunday (29th) to say I couldn't cope any more, so I went into hospital to see her that afternoon where she was doing a clinic. She and another midwife agreed that the best thing to do was to deliver, because it was only the fear of not getting to hospital that causing me stress, so why not keep me in hospital and take the stress away! I also knew that fear and adrenalin stopped contractions, so the more anxious I got, the less likely labour was to start, and the more days the contractions/anxiety would continue. I am so so grateful to those midwives for making the right decision for me (and I was 41 weeks so it wasn't unreasonable to deliver the baby!)
I was given one helluva stretch and sweep (DH said she was in up to her elbows confused) by a registrar, and sent to the ante-natal ward, but before I even got there the contractions had started. Things ramped up very quickly and at one point I felt pushy, a student midwife had a look and thought she could see a head (they even started talking about vitamin K and all sorts, we really thought he was coming!) but actually it was just my waters bulging, but I was 3cm and wheeled round to delivery - all within an hour of the sweep.
I got in the birth pool and onto the gas and air - my happy place where I delivered DS1 and DS2 with relative ease. But then 4 hours passed and there was still no baby, they got me out and I was still only 3-4cm sad I cried a lot. With hindsight they shouldn't have let me in the pool that early, I should have laboured upright and really got things going, but that was unfortunately a result of a bad call made by a student.
So I was moved to a room and told to move around a lot, then there was a shift change and the new midwife got me to lie on my side on the bed with the gas and air, and she was feeling my tummy the whole time. Apparently I thought I was having contractions when I wasn't, but the pain was so intense I couldn't cope, so they pursuaded me to have pethidine and took me back to the ante-natal ward for a sleep. Gradually the contractions and pain subsided and by 3am, 13 hours after the sweep, I was officially not in labour at all sad. Lovely lovely midwife who I cried all over just said "we don't make decisions in the middle of the night" and told me to go back to sleep.
I do wonder what was said about me behind my back (!) but at 9:30am another amazing midwife came in and said they were going to break my waters since I was sitting at 3-4cm, which meant they were committed to inducing me and getting the baby out. I was official Not Going Home! YES!
My waters were broken at about 1pm, and as I moved around the contractions gradually came on after about an hour. I can't remember what time I started gas and air, but I tried moving to lots of different positions and gradually things ramped up. There was a bit of scare with the baby's heart beat so I was on the monitor for an hour, and I had some food which passed the time. I remember losing my sense of humour and some time after I was decreed officially 'in labour'.
And then I had my baby TWENTY SEVEN MINUTES LATER. And that is what I was afraid of. I am so, so glad they took my fears seriously and induced me, although I could have done without the 12 hours of false labour the day before.
Lots of midwives have talked about 'tricky fourths' because the uterus and cervix don't always contract and dilate as efficiently and rhythmically when they've been through it many times before. Perhaps if I'd laboured upright more the day before I would have gone into proper labour then, but we'll never know.
While I was sorry not to make it to the pool, DH thought it was brilliant because he actually saw the birth as it wasn't all under water. Also I have a vaginal wall prolapse which was stopping the head descending and the midwife 'moved it out of the way' for the birth, which couldn't have happened in the pool. As I was delivering I heard her say something about the damage being done to my pelvic floors, but what could I do?! Certainly things are very numb down there, but it'll be a while before we can tell the full extent of the damage blush. I didn't tear at all, and don't need tena lady so it can't be too bad wink

DS3 is adorable, perfect, wonderful, amazing. He's got perfect little petite features, he's 8lb 3oz and feeding pretty well although he has tongue tie that needs to be snipped. I think we'll both appreciate it when my milk comes in properly.

Due to cost cutting measures, I have to take him to the GP this afternoon for his check, I have to take him to the midwife tomorrow for his 3 day weighing, and I have to take him to the hospital clinic on saturday for his heel prick test. All those things were done at home visits with the previous three children, I can't believe I'm expected to go out, and I don't feel up to driving so DH and all the kids have to come too!

His siblings are besotted, and the teachers strike day was so well timed because we could have a family pyjama day yesterday!

Badvoc Wed 02-Oct-13 10:37:28

Oh carrie - what wonderful news smile I am sat here crying smile sniff sniff.
Sending lots of love and congrats to you! You star, you did so well.
Does ds have a Name yet!? I had to do all that when Toby was born too, it's really tiring going to appts when you have just had a baby! Toby weed all over the gp who did his neonatal checks. That cheered me up a bit smile You take good care of yourself x
Well, things here are still very hard sad
Mum is struggling, well we all are. And we have had bad health news about my aunt (dads sister).
Toby had a private themed b day party on Sunday for his entire class! (20 x 4 year olds) It was a bit frantic but went really well.
It's so hard having family celebrations without dad, and as for Xmas.....god, I can't bear to think about it sad
Huge congrats again carrie - oct b day babies are ace (yes, I am one!)
Hope everyone else is ok x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now