Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sept '08 - The one where they go out into the big bad world (well school!)

(549 Posts)
ninja Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:25

Hi, couldn't find a new thread and there was only one message to link to one.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes creating this!

Badvoc Tue 03-Sep-13 15:46:17

Toby is pretty tired today. Says he has a headache, bless him.
Early night tonight I think!

Meglet Tue 03-Sep-13 20:15:10

DD is still darting across the landing every so often hmm.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 04-Sep-13 11:03:32

Ds2 dropped off <sniff sniff> He came a cropper in the playground and took the skin off his knees and palms. Luckily they were about to go in and a TA came over and said she'd clean him up. When I walked past he had stopped crying and was holding the TA's hand - phew.

Ds3 and I then walked round to the preschool and his drop off was completely uneventful.

I was ok until people asked how I was. I can't take people being kind so I then burst into tears! I had another cry when I got home and got stuck into some cleaning.

Fingers crossed for everyone else today x

ninja Wed 04-Sep-13 12:04:45

Maebh's only in for 2 hours this afternoon. We've had a school haircut (at a posh hairdressers that she asked to go to). She wanted them to do everything so it's been washed, sprayed, cut dried and straightened! Shame I have to tie it back this afternoon.

I'm on my 12th day of a stomach bug, I did think I was getting better, but maybe I overdid it a bit 'cos I've felt dreadful the last couple of days. I'll be glad to wave Maebh goodbye so I can go back to bed for an hour sad

She says she doesn't want to go to school, but I think she'll love it.

Meglet Wed 04-Sep-13 14:17:36

DD was fine at drop off, in fact she was rather annoyed with me hovering around hmm.

HI all,

Will catch up properly shortly.

DD doesn't start until the 16th so I have her for a bit longer. Not sure whether we are both happy or sad about that tbh.

I doubt I'll be tearful. School starting has been totally ruined for my by my experience with DS and I think I just want to get on with it. She's ready. I'm ready. She desperately desperately wants to go.

She starts a full day. Do you think I should just send her all day, or bring her home for lunch?

Debs75 Wed 04-Sep-13 14:31:52

Robyn was great yesterday at drop off, all excited and raring to go. Pick up she was a bit quiet and very sombre all the way home. I found out later that she hadn't made any new friends.sad By bedtime she was exhausted but she thought that was the best time to tell me everything that had happened at school. She has had fun so feeling better.
This morning we had tears and a little panicking. I think the first day is novelty and then on the 2nd they realise 'this is it' Have promised her her favourite tea to cheer her up.

Badvoc Wed 04-Sep-13 14:45:24

Star...Toby did 2 half days and then has been to full days and taking sandwiches since Monday.
He was complaining of a headache last night at pick up but it think its because its so hot and he isn't drinking enough.
I sent him with 2 water bottles today!
I know what you mean...I really haven't given Toby starting school much thought at all tbh what with everything that's happened sad
Ds1 seems to be doing well at his middle school (fingers x)

Ah Bad, perhaps I should give the school a bit of a rest on Friday and collect her at lunch time for the rest of the afternoon off. I think the school will be okay with that. She might not be though, so we'll see.

There was a stay and play session last term but she refused to go because she knew she was running out of days at her nursery and didn't want to leave for a school she would 'see soon enough' (her words).

She's got her birthday on Monday. It's a pita because she hasn't yet met anyone from new school to invite. Still it might be a blessing if she reciprocate-invited, as parties are okay, but not when they are every bloody weekend.

great news about ds1 bad.

DS1 here is also doing fabulously, - now. He re-starts school tomorrow and I have seen no signs of anxiety, just the usual 'I don't want to go to school, I want to stay here and play on the ipad', but that is normal, and there has been plenty of times during the summer when he has asked to go back to school.

Badvoc Wed 04-Sep-13 15:54:50

He is doing so well, star smile I almost don't want to say it in case I jinx him!
He has come home today and told me he had sausages for lunch.
For the first time in his life! smile
Dh will be thrilled.
And now I will have to cook sausages sad

Badvoc Wed 04-Sep-13 15:55:07

Have to day your dd sounds hilarious smile

ninja Wed 04-Sep-13 19:50:10

Star att DD1's school they start with full days and she was fine - tired in the second week but never weepy. Tbh bringing her home would probably for you rather than her!

Badvoc that's really good news about DS1 - he's the same age as my DD1 isn't he?

Well I managed to make a dramatic start to being a nw parent at the school gate by ... vomiting right outside it in the bushes blush. Looks like I might be allergic to the codeine that the doctor gave me to bung me up!

I didn't think I was going to be able to make it up, but actually feel fine now!

Oh well - I guess there'll be a wide berth around me tomorrow

Badvoc Wed 04-Sep-13 20:14:55

Oh ninja! Are you ok?
Ds1 is 10 and has just gone into year 6.

Oh no ninja you poor thing!
DS1 went straight in at full days yesterday and has been fine, I'm not aware of anyone having chosen to start on half days. Last night he asked me if it was school again tomorrow, I briefly panicked, realising I'd prepared him for the first day, but not all the days that come after! When I said he would go back he was thrilled - turned out he was just checking that he was like DD who goes every day, phew! He came out in floods of tears today because he couldn't find his jumper at home time - he didn't realise it had never been taken out of his bag from the morning! Bless him, he recovered quickly.
He absolutely loves telling jokes, so has decided that instead of 'look and listen' which they do every monday, he'll do 'listen and laugh'. I'm not sure what his teacher is going to make of him...!
DD seems fine in year 2 thankfully, although said their time in the ICT suite was cut short today because of some of the boys being naughty. But they did monster dances in PE, so that's ok grin
I'm loving that I can now have a lunchtime nap when DS2 does...but only for the next few weeks! Had my haircut today, think I've reached the end of my 'things to do before the baby arrives' list, other than DS1's party next Friday. I'm properly jittery about the whole giving birth thing, and I really can't work out why confused

Meglet Wed 04-Sep-13 21:17:45

Oh ninja sad. I hope you're in bed now and get well soon.

It's so good to hear your DS1 is happy to go back to school starlight.

ninja Wed 04-Sep-13 21:28:21

Feel fine now, but no codeine since breakfast - I should have realsied it was starnge that I felt worse after being to the doctors - but I was feeling too bad to really think!

Carrie can't believe you've got so little time until the babay but I certainly can believe that you're all organised!

Its all a façade, the moses basket is out of the loft, therefore on the face of it I look ready ;)

How is everyone? Got over the illness and the shame ninja?
How are you badvoc?
meglet are you getting your DD into school clothes ok...?!

DS1 is doing well, was happy to go back to school today, but then its still all been about play and getting stickers for everything so what's not to love?!

We had a truly awful night's sleep on Saturday, I couldn't sleep was still awake at midnight, DS2 started crying at 4am and I eventually got him settled back at 5am but he'd completely woken DD, who then wandered into our room three times between 6 and 7am to say she was 'bored of staying in bed'. So of course we were all super ratty and miserable and sleep-deprived for all of Sunday.

Sooo ready to have this baby. 38 weeks yesterday...

NotCitrus Mon 09-Sep-13 20:11:48

A just had his last day at nursery (sniff!) It was finally back in the old building which has been completely redone so all the rooms are bigger and look stunning. So Chessington tomorrow, then school next day, though may need to get his plaster off mid-morning after another NHS cockup with appts. Thinking of just going the time I was originally told would be fine rather than messing up his first day - he missed the settling in day so don't want him to miss this induction too.
Builders have built foundations. Only 6 weeks to go...

ninja Mon 09-Sep-13 21:48:11

Yes - all recovered. No-one has mentioned the vomiting, as someone said to me they might have thought it was morning sickness! I was too out of it to know who saw me, so not too bad all in all!

I was away over the weekend and with Maebh's half days I'm really struggling to catch up with work (and housework!).

Maebh seems happy at school though, she pushed me out the door today grin

Meglet Wed 11-Sep-13 06:55:27

Bookmarking. I tried to post yesterday via my laptop but MN was playing up confused.

Kagey Wed 11-Sep-13 21:20:19

Well hello there everyone! It's been ages, sorry, that I've been anywhere near this thread, but on this monumental day I thought I'd post. Dd1 started reception today and she was soooooo excited grin. She was up at 6.30 chattering about her new teacher and seeing her friends from nursery who are also in her class.

I was very brave and didn't cry but will probably do so when dd2 starts in 2-years time.

Badvoc, I'm really sorry to read about your Dad, and hope you are all ok.

Carrie, I've managed to miss your whole pregnancy, so congrats!!! I hope all goes really well.

Tea bag, I second that the building hassles are worth it in the end. We had a rough 6-months with a big project but so worth it.

Ninja, hope you are feeling better now!

Erin's birthday is a week today so I have bought haribo for her classmates for her to give out. Her party is next Saturday at our house so I hope the weather is dry or our house will be overrun with little people. Present wise we struggled thinking of ideas so she's getting a smurf bag and a princess dress.

Hope you are all well!!

Meglet Fri 13-Sep-13 07:26:17

kagey lovely to hear your DD started school ok. Hope the weather settles down a bit before her party.

Hi kagey, glad all is going well!

We've got DS1's official birthday party this afternoon, he's a bit confused because he knows perfectly well its not his birthday for another fortnight, but he seems to be going with the whole cake/presents/junk food thing regardless grin

My darling neice and nephew arrived this morning! They were due on 6th October, but c-section was booked for next week. Waters broke this morning (at 36+5) and they delivered her straight away. One boy, one girl, both good weights and perfectly healthy, no need for special care. I'm beyond gutted that I can't go and meet them, but apparently I shouldn't be doing a 500 mile round trip at 39 weeks pg (bunch of spoil sports my family are...) but once I've had my baby and I'm feeling up to it, I'll be down there like a shot so my brother and I can meet each other's off-spring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now