Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sept '08 - The one where they go out into the big bad world (well school!)

(551 Posts)
ninja Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:25

Hi, couldn't find a new thread and there was only one message to link to one.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes creating this!

Badvoc Mon 22-Jul-13 12:01:53

Sigh.
What a bloody shambles it all is Meglet.
Can you go to another HA?

You can a) get a second opinion and b) get a dx of ASD regardless of an ADOS score as it is an assessment TOOL not the friggin oracle.

Write to the HA ASAP clarifying your score and what they said about how you woukd have got a dx as a teen but you have learnt to 'chat by numbers'. This will help you later if you need to follow up and it 'might' get them to change their minds.

Meglet Mon 22-Jul-13 13:34:34

I'm considering a second opinion, although I'll deal with it in the autumn once both the kids are at school.

It did occur to me to see if my CAHM's notes from 20+ yrs ago are still stashed away in my records. They'd be interesting reading.

Yes, but still write that letter. I suspect Badvoc will back me up on that!?

It's really important that these professional opinions are recorded somewhere even if it is by you. It will help paint a picture going forward. You don't have to say you disagree, just write to 'clarify' and to make sure you haven't 'misunderstood'. This will give you paper evidence iyswim.

Badvoc Mon 22-Jul-13 14:26:05

I do indeed star!
It's always helpful t have a written record of what's been said (or even more importantly not said)

Hmph. Didn't realise how much I like the name Alexander until it was taken away as an option...

meglet sorry about the non-dx, but great advice on here as always!

debs have you worked a way around the paddling pool situation yet? My solution is to go and play in someone else's tomorrow grin. In general how are you liking the new house?

Today I saw the physio about my prolapse/piles situation and got some great advice and exercises so I feel much more in control, and she advised best positions for labour and delivery. Loving the NHS - today I've been to the dentist, had half an hour 1-2-1 with a physio, and got a prescription, all for free! Well, all for DH's tax contributions grin

We've been doing a summer holiday scrapbook project - homework by stealth mwa ha ha ha! DD has written loads, its great practice! Today they didn't want to wear their stickers from the dentist but brought them home still on the backing paper to put straight in their scrapbooks! We surprised the kids after dinner tonight by bundling them into the car and taking them into town for pudding (on tesco vouchers grin). Love the holidays smile

Debs75 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:01:00

Carrie we got it half filled which was enough for the kids. Am hoping it is hot tomorrow so we can go back in it, after a few more trips with a bucketblush
Don't be put off they have only picked it as a middle name. Alexander was one of my favourite names as well

We are loving the new house, finding a few niggly things such as boiler is different to ours and we are always almost breaking it then realising it doesn't work like our old one did.
We are also more organised atm. We did throw away absolutely loads of useless tat so the rooms are less cluttered. Not sure how long it will last but I actually like tidying and hovering this house.
Still some decorating to do, not even started on the kitchens and bathrooms or our room and DD1's still needs a second coat of paint. As long as hers is finished before Christmas I don't mind chipping away at the rest of the house and garden

Meglet Wed 24-Jul-13 22:07:49

Glad to know they're helping you so much carrie.

Thank you for the advice star and badvoc, I will get something written down sooner than later.

DH just booked a hotel for our 10th wedding anniversary...got money off through Co-op membership, cash back, free cream tea, £10 room credit and tesco points. They're practically paying us to go grin

Badvoc Tue 30-Jul-13 14:34:25

Hello.
My beloved dad collapsed and died at a family wedding on Saturday.
Despite dh and I doing CPR they couldn't save him.
Later that night my mum had a stress induced heart attack (known as broken heart syndrome)
I am broken.

Debs75 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:10:32

OH Badvoc I am so sorry for you. I don't know what I can say to help you but please know that we are all here for you if you need us.
How are the boys doing? I think sometimes the kids keep the adults strong as we often don't want to break down in front of them.
I hope your mum is recovering from her heart attack.
I really don't know what to say now so sending you and your family huge hugs and again we are all here for you should you need us.

teabagpleb Tue 30-Jul-13 18:22:15

Many condolences Badvoc.

I've just got home after A having 24 hours in hospital after breaking his arm. He's plastered from palm to above the elbow, but pain seems to have subsided. Hopefully a hospital near Exmoor will agree to do his checkup next week so we can still go on holiday. Didn't think any ward could be less conducive to sleep than post-natal, but Paediatrics was worse...

Badvoc Tue 30-Jul-13 18:36:05

Thank you.
I am just numb.
I can't believe he is gone.
I hope As arm is better soon.

badvoc I am so, so sorry. Words can't bring him back but they can keep his memory alive, we'd love to hear about him if you'd like to share. Few people get to be called 'beloved' so he must have been a very special man. And your poor mum. Its ok to cry and not be strong for everyone, be kind to yourself flowers

teabag how traumatic (both the broken arm and the night on paediatrics!) How did he break it? <nosy> Really really hope you can still go on your holiday.

Makes DS1s punctured vein in his blood test on Monday seem quite insignificant...although you wouldn't think it given the way he screamed the hospital down...

There are five of us locally who are friends and expecting babies within 9 weeks of each other (I'm last envy) and the first was born yesterday (10lb 8oz!!! OUCH!!!). Feels like a roller coaster and now there's no getting off til we've had ours!

Badvoc Wed 31-Jul-13 20:56:35

Carrie....thank you.
Dad was 67. He was still working...he said he didn't want to retire (much to mums disgust).
We were going to a family wedding in Aylesbury and we had juts checked into our hotel. My mum phoned me from their room hysterical saying he had collapsed.
I was in their room within 30 seconds, but he had gone.
Dh and I did CPR until the ambulance arrived, and dh continued ventilating him in the ambulance, but he was gone.
My lovely dad.
He was wonderful.
Everyone loved him.
His friend from work came to the house this morning with a card....it's hard seeing such a big butch guy weep.
He lived for his family...my mum, siblings, me and his 5 gc.
He was funny, and kind and stubborn and loved cream cakes and doughnuts.
He and my mother were married for 42 years. They consultant told me mum has got a broken heart and they can't medicate for that.
What are you supposed to do without your dad?

teabagpleb Thu 01-Aug-13 13:50:03

Carrie A was standing on a climbing frame ladder, about 2 feet off the ground, and decided to let go... went over backwards.

After various phone calls we have an appt in Taunton while we are away, so shouldn't affect holiday too much. He hates getting wet or mucky anyway and didn't want to go horse riding. Just need to get some more sweatpants for him. He's back at nursery today and his friends have made him a huge glittery card with some attempts at signing names inside [sniff].

The hospital staff were all great, but all the stories about hospitals etc miss out a really important factor to small children - the amount of faffing and waiting around! He's slept through both nights since coming home, so clearly not in pain - we're just dosing regularly with paracetamol.

Meglet Mon 12-Aug-13 13:32:31

bookmarking, I fell off here ages ago blush.

teabagpleb Wed 14-Aug-13 11:26:38

Back from holiday. Despite yet more aggro from the council planners (they told the architect our skylights wouldn't count against height, being see-through; the head planner supposed to rubber-stamp the decision refused to allow them, so was another week before the same plan with shorter skylights was approved), we have now chosen a builder and should have our kitchen knocked down next Wednesday.

A's arm is healing nicely but will be another 2 weeks before he gets above-elbow plaster off, then two more weeks for the rest of it, so will be after he starts school. Had better order some uniform and give official notice to nursery...

Hi everyone, just got back from lovely two weeks away. Although our car developed a fuel pump problem and had to be left down south, we've driven back in mum's car, and she's coming up on the train to collect it tomorrow. Then in a week or so, dad will drive our car up, and get the train back! Its gonna cost me fortune in interflora and gin [weeps]
teabag glad A's arm is healing, and very glad he doesn't seem to be too affected by it!
badvoc how are you doing? And how's your mum?

Can anyone dredge their mind back to pregnancy and tell me if they had strong braxton hicks contractions at 35 weeks? I'm so SO not ready to have this baby!!!
On the plus side, I know the shortlist of names for dBro's babies and there are no clashes with our shortlist, phew. Their twins should be born the same week as my baby, poor mum won't know which end of the country to be!!

Badvoc Mon 19-Aug-13 21:32:23

Mum is doing ok thanks carrie.
On lots of meds.
Dads funeral went ok. Church was packed. And crem. Dh did the eulogy and I read a poem.
His ashes are being interred on weds morning.
I am dads executor so I have been having to sort out all the paperwork etc. so many forms! HMRC don't make it easy.
Spent this evening with my mum and sis choosing dads headstone.
God, it's awful sad
Iirc I had Brixton hicks from 33 weeks! Your mum will be busy!

Meglet Tue 20-Aug-13 21:18:21

badvoc So sorry to hear what you're all going through sad.

My parenting has hit a new low, DD is still up (see my GBBO FB update)and I'm letting her watch the midwives, although I mistakenly thought it might scare her into bed. She's just watched the c-section and is grilling me with questions. I'll make a consultant of her yet.

Badvoc Tue 20-Aug-13 21:35:07

Thanks meg.
Tomorrow is our final goodbye.
Still can't believe he is gone.

Meglet Tue 20-Aug-13 21:52:11

I can't imagine what it must be like to lose someone so suddenly. Are you staying with your mum?

Badvoc Tue 20-Aug-13 22:13:54

My sister is ATM. Her dh and dc are back abroad finishing off their interrupted holiday.
My sis and I were taking it in turns to stay with her to begin with.
It's so surreal.
I was there when he died. I saw him at the hospital and then again in the chapel of rest. We had a funeral. And I still can't believe it.
I keep expecting to see his car outside mums house. Or him to walk through my front door.
I miss him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now