Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - Vent, chat or brag

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Tue 29-Jan-13 12:21:34
PetiteRaleuse Wed 30-Jan-13 07:14:29

Good luck Kirrin

hope J is a little better this morning VQ , my two are coming down with a cold again too. Got to be careful with DD1 after last time sad

Jabs tomorrow. Woo hoo.

Last night DD1 didn't kick me once so I slept. I take back every mean thought I ever had about her grin

KatieLily12 Wed 30-Jan-13 08:11:21

Morning

Another bad one here. We tried to give me time off for dinner etc but she got herself in such a fit I had to feed her again. I didn't mind the feeding after such a tricky day of feeding and it saved me expressing.

Finally went to sleep, no joy weaning from suckling on my finger but she did go down on the bed rather than on top of me. Woke 2am for usual 30 min feed but seemed unsettled. Promptly threw up most of feed do her and I had to both change. Reflux really bad so I had to lie her along me, sat up and let her suckle on my finger again as she was so upset.

I read somewhere that reflux babies particularly like to suckle which how she ended up with my damn finger in the first place- desperation one night to give her comfort.

So with napping today, do I wait till she's really sleepy before putting her down? She usually fights it like a champion so I have to watch her, then the minute she goes a bit whingey or glassy eyed: start rocking.

Thens the tricksy bit. Put her in her crib and I get:

Confused look (why am I here mummy?)
Yawn
Maybe I'll try a smile at mummy to see if this is a game (mummy facepalms)
Yawn
Confused look
Cross face
Rampant kicking/ fighting of swaddle.
Wide awake yelling

Help?

Passmethecrisps Wed 30-Jan-13 08:36:19

Morning all,

Good luck kirrin

Welcome back wellieboots. Sorry to hear about your baby having reflux - it's a bitch. How you are feeding will make a difference to the meds. P has a cow's milk protein intolerance so is on nutramigen formula. She is 11Ib at 11 weeks old and is on 1mlx3 rinitidine, 1.5mlx3 domperidone and 6 sachet infant gaviscon per day.

Sorry to hear of the poor nights for people. I think this weather makes it doubly hard.

P doesn't seem very hungry at all at the moment. She was typically taking 120ml per feed now it is a bit of a trauma getting 80ml in her. She seems bright enough - maybe ever so slightly snotty but doesn't seem unwell. I am telling myself to relax about it, give it a couple of days and just make sure she is still healthy. She is sitting in her bouncer whacking her legs like mad and smiling so I can't think she is poorly.

GTbaby Wed 30-Jan-13 08:40:10

Katie it's hard when they don't self settle x

VQ ur night didn't get much better thanks hope ur three four feel better soon n dr is able to help.

Chick didn't watch the end. Tried to sleep and then 20mins later LO woke, Shouldn't has bothered sleeping!

LO slept ok. Just did a 5ish hour stretch. But his snotty breathing n coughing kept me awake. He is doing sad moaning at the moment sad

I desperately need a shower. sad

Passmethecrisps Wed 30-Jan-13 08:40:59

katie the suckling thing is big fr reflux babies - they swallow back the acid rather than hold it in their mouths. We hadn't used a dummy until p showed reflux symptoms so I tried one in desperation. At one point I genuinely thought she would need one all day and night. Now she occassionally has it after meals and likes it to go to sleep with. Have you tried different types of dummy? We use tommee tippee closer to nature ones but have vent ones and they look completely different. It might e worth trying some different types.

Pikz Wed 30-Jan-13 08:42:01

I think my small terrorist is having a hahaha mummy you think you've worked me out... Now watch this...day.

I'm thrilled confused

GTbaby Wed 30-Jan-13 08:45:16

Zcos when I tried moving LO bedtime forward I went up at chosen time. Dark room. Feed with soothing music on. N kept trying to move him to crib.
Took a few days. But got there eventually.
1st I found he would b wide awake when is take him up n then our routine would calm him down n eventually he would sleep. Then he started getting sleepy at 7 before i took him up, as he got used to his routine.

Yay! Someone returned my lovely babies!

I also worked out what was wrong. I forgot to give them their reflux medicine on Monday evening and Tuesday morning sad. I feel very bad about it.

Anyway, remembered last night and won't be forgetting again! Their sleep was back to normal last night. I feel much more human today.

ChunkyChicken Wed 30-Jan-13 09:04:46

Glad you had a better night garden

Poor you VQ but at least you got some sleep. Don't you just love ill DHs??!!!

Katie try a newborn dummy. We use tommee tippee. She might reject it at first as its cold & plastic but you'll soon know if its working. My 2 both have dummies but generally only to help with self-settling to sleep.

kirrin I take all my moans back. DS is going (on average) 3-4hrs all day & night at the mo, so I have it v easy compared to you. You have my sympathy.

GOOD LUCK FOR THE INTERVIEW KIRRIN!! <shouts in case you've fallen asleep> grin

GT & thechick ever seen the Watchmen? That is the darkest, most miserable film I've ever seen!!!

Are the star blankets instead of snow suits? DS is growing out of his quilted pram suit & I'm not sure whether to get a snow suit (thinking down/padded type thing), another pram suit (if I can get one) or something else.

Thechick Wed 30-Jan-13 09:07:30

Katie I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to napping. H usually feeds to sleep.

GODD LUCK KIRRIN - FINGERS & TOES X'D!!!!

chunky yeah the star wrap is instead of a snow suit - will last them a while longer than snow suits and are very snuggly should be on commission blame Sophia she pointed the website out lol

KatieLily12 Wed 30-Jan-13 09:28:38

Good luck kirrin

pikz you make me chuckle

LO grizzling so curtains closed, Ewan on and rocking. Prepared to sit next to her as I did before, if I can get her down. I think I'll get a dummy to try tomorrow. Thanks all. Any more tips greatly appreciated.

Katie try putting a comforter down your top to smell of you. I do this with both girls. One uses a muslin as a comforter and the other a bunny thingy from Tesco. I put them down my top while feeding and then into their cots while they are settling. Both girls like to rub their cheeks/faces against it. I also have a sleep sound machine and I play white noise during naps and night time sleep. I do the same thing for all sleeps. Draw the curtain, put white noise on, into sleeping bags, they are given their comforter. Sometimes I make shush noises too.

Hope that helps.

KatieLily12 Wed 30-Jan-13 09:44:55

Thanks Garden I was eondering about comforters but she hasn't taken anything yet. Might try muslin....

Attempt no 1 coming up- she's snoozy !

horseylady Wed 30-Jan-13 09:47:06

Up every hour coughing.

Dry cough not like the last one!! Poor little man sad given him some cough syrup as all you get is cough cough cough awwww he's now smiling and cooing away smile

KatieLily12 Wed 30-Jan-13 09:48:42

Abort! Screamed blue murder. Back to pacing now with screaming baby

Pikz Wed 30-Jan-13 10:01:18

That's it I've told LO he's going on eBay or to live with nanny. He seems to prefer both those options to mummy.

KatieLily12 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:05:15

Wow. Attempt 2 and she's rage filled.

I am thinking about how she prefers to sleep- on her tummy next to me. Date I do it for naps against recommendation?

YellowWellies Wed 30-Jan-13 10:06:34

Garden I didn't realise your twins had reflux - that's gotta be hard.

VQ hope the lurgy is lifting and someone is looking after you brew

Wellieboots as pass says reflux meds depend on how you're feeding. I'm BFing and Jonas like P also has a CMPI which is treated by me cutting all dairy and soy out of my diet - envy woe. He also has omeperazole (4ml twice a day). If babywellies reflux is linked to cows milk - none of the meds will work without cutting dairy out of your milk / their formula (depending on how you feed). Also make sure their cot is elevated.

All of my cousins and siblings kids have reflux linked to cows milk intolerance - so I've had great help with the meds - here's a short summary:

Omeperazole and ranitidine both work by reducing stomach acid so that when they reflux there is less likelihood of the acid burning their throats. Omeperazole is the stronger and more expensive option - so you have to fight for it on the NHS - its the only thing that worked for us.

Domperidone works by flushing food through the stomach super quick and can give BF babies diarrhoea (it can work well for FF babies and those on gaviscon as that can cause constipation).

Gaviscon is the cheapest meds for reflux, the one most GPs will push you onto and can work v well for those bottle feeding. It works by thickening the stomach contents so they don't come up the oesophagus. It can cause constipation and this can make reflux worse in some babies. As you have to give 15ml with each feed its nigh on impossible to give to a BF baby. I refused to even try it. It does work really well for FF babas.

There are lots of different meds available try them all on their own and in combination and you'll find the right one/s for you. Now J is medicated and I've changed my diet his symptoms have 98% gone - so don't despair it does get better xxx

YellowWellies Wed 30-Jan-13 10:10:38

Garden I'm going to try that comforter trick during naps - but not today - me and the boy are going shopping in Edinburgh and he'll be snoozing in his buggy - can't wait for RETAIL THERAPY!!!! Not hit the shops since we moved down grin

BigPigLittlePig Wed 30-Jan-13 10:11:13

Morning!

Good luck kirrin, I can barely string a sentence together so I'm v impressed you're managing an interview. Let us know how it goes.

There seems little point in positioning LO anywhere specific in her cot. Woke up last night to find both legs poking out between the bars, with her head under her blankets. She was frantically rooting around in the blankets for food, v sweet.

vq here's some more thanks - hope things start to turn a corner soon

TheDetective Wed 30-Jan-13 10:45:27

grumble grumble grumble. crap night. feel like a turd butty. now the wind is whipping up a storm outside. winnie the pooh is currently being tossed around the garden hmm stupid dog thief.

dp is in bed. me and oscar are downstairs. before the wind started the sun was blazing through the windows showing every single piece of dirt/dog hair known to man. i thought the house was relatively clean confused. obviously not.

i've just rang to chase my physio referral since i've started pissing myself that was sent 6 weeks ago, to be told they haven't received it. rang gp, who says it was sent. detective has quite the cob on this morning.

some poor bugger is in for it later today.

there. that feels better.

good luck today kirrin knock 'em dead!

grin

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Wed 30-Jan-13 10:48:12

<runs into thread wearing virtual blue body paint and channelling Mel Gibson in Braveheart>

FREEDOM!! DH has taken DD and DS to PIL for the day! What shall I do with this gift? Am very tempted to do nothing, but I need to make birthday cakes for DD's birthday tomorrow and then go into work again to finish what I was supposed to do on Monday as I was too busy catching up on gossip!

Good luck with the interview Kirrin.

VQ rubbish luck with illness in your household flowers

YW enjoy the shopping not envy much

Pikz I doubt he prefers anything to mummy really. Hugs.

<runs back out of thread and around house beating chest like a madwoman>

MissMummy1 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:51:41

Bloody doctor receptionists. Matilda has an umbilical hernia which has developed into a pollip (sp?) and become slightlt infected. Yesterday: "nope no appointments before monday, that doesnt sound like an emergency". I phoned this morning: "bring her in today because she is so young".

I could have (and did) tell them yesterday I thought it needed looking at sooner rather than later angry

Sitting fuming waiting to be seen now...

YellowWellies Wed 30-Jan-13 10:54:08

Sending lots of love to the wee dote MM hope it goes well

This thread is not accepting new messages.