Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - Vent, chat or brag

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Tue 29-Jan-13 12:21:34
BigPigLittlePig Sun 03-Feb-13 22:01:31

I would love to be able to go back part time but to cut a long boring story I can't because the NHS can be massive cocks.

Forgot to give LO her gaviscon this evening before her feed - trying to convince a full bf baby to take a bottle = not easy. I think there's more gaviscon on her face than in her tummy hmm

ValiumQueen Sun 03-Feb-13 22:02:35

evil I am meeting with my manager soon and am going to broach part time. I also need to think of how it will benefit them. I would be a lot better off working part time due to childcare for three.

ValiumQueen Sun 03-Feb-13 22:05:01

bp I am NHS too and not feeling too confident.

BigPigLittlePig Sun 03-Feb-13 22:05:49

Oh yes, meant to say evil that sorry I don't have any bright ideas but am in a similar position to you with shift work. We're lucky in as much as dh's work changed his shifts to 8-5 so at least one of us has regular hours. It's v tricky sad

ValiumQueen Sun 03-Feb-13 22:15:31

I used to work shifts, and in order to get to work regular shifts I volunteered to do the unpopular ones, so more weekend work, every friday night etc. It was not nice, but at least I could plan my life.

TheDetective Sun 03-Feb-13 22:19:20

I'm still having palpitations about Saturday's. I really don't know what I am going to do. My mum has agreed to one a month. Dp works every Saturday 8-6. His work won't agree to him swapping it. My work won't agree for me to not work it.

If my mum would have him it would be fine. She is having DS1 as she always has.

Bah sad

Evilwater Sun 03-Feb-13 22:26:10

It wouldn't be so bad VQ if I had some communication from my manger. But no, nothing.
I can only drop one day per week, that leaves me with 4 shifts, I don't want to do 730 till 930. Then I would only pay half the child care, but long days are killer.

Life would be so much easier working for my sister, same pay less stress and I could pick my hours. No hoilday or pension or sick pay.

Evil

Evilwater Sun 03-Feb-13 22:27:18

It's a fucking nightmare! If only I could have set shifts!

Evil

TheDetective Sun 03-Feb-13 22:33:12

Evil are you a HCA? What about working for a private company maybe?

I used to be a carer, and got to pick my own hours, however that was on a 0 hour contract, but it meant I chose when I worked. I did it when I was doing my training. You could do evenings leaving DP with a screaming baby mwhahaha perhaps? Or 2 weekend days?

Can you work in clinics? Then at least its day time hours?

GTbaby Sun 03-Feb-13 22:39:46

Me n Dh are having the work hours discussion ATM. hmm
Pil are retired. So technically could do full time care. But that is asking a bit much. blush DH works shifts. So pil wouldn't have to do mon-Friday 7-5.

My mum may be offered redundancy in August n she would b happy to have him Monday to Friday.

So hoping between them we don't have to find a nursery.

But it's more headache. As it will be an organisational nightmare.

Evilwater Sun 03-Feb-13 22:39:58

I am a HCA, I'd love to work for a private company but if I do now I have to pay back my OMP. angry.
Where I used to work before we had a set rota, earlys one week, then lates, last nights. Everyone new what was coming, but where im working now, it's just tough!

Evil

A quick question before I go back and catch up. And ideas on why babylaughalot has gone from pooing once every other day to doing FOUR today?! The only thing we've changed this week is we've been giving Infacol before every other feed to try to get her wind sorted. Might this have caused it? We gave it her when she was 2-4 weeks old too but I don't remember the constant pooing then although I don't remember much at all of those hazy weeks

She seems ok in herself, a bit more vommy than usual but nothing spectacular. Maybe it's just one of those days?

MissMummy1 Sun 03-Feb-13 23:03:35

I'm going back to work for a client 3 hours a week in the middle of feb. Fairly reluctantly but in those 3 hours I'll be earning 3x my MA so it seems crazy not to. The way DP's current shifts work he does a week of days, a week of nights, then a week of leave. although FC he gets the new job he's applied for that we're trying desperately hard not to get our hopes up about My mum had M as a trial tonight for an hour while I went to a zumba class (bloody hell I am soo unfit... and have no pelvic floor blush ...) and the wee pet slept the whole time so I have no quams leaving her with my mum if I ever needed to. She is delighted about this!

If I was to go back to teaching full time, the majority of my salary would be paying for childcare and travel costs. Right now I don't want to work to pay someone else to look after my child when I can work freelance (when it suits me) and bring my daughter up myself. I understand though I am fortunate enough to be in a position to do so, not many people are.

<sigh>

J is poorly again he has a really runny nose and so much mucus in this upper airways/nose/throat that he's snuffly and snotty. His eyes are both puffy and gummy. He is dribbling like a champ, he has a low grade fever and he has wicked bad nappy rash (that looks like burns) poor chap, he's just got to sleep in his chair sitting up, he can't lay down because of the goo. I'm doing the current awake shift to watch him, after last time I'm not taking any chances. sad

Also, after looking at all the lovely photos of your little ones on Facebook, I have spent a substantial amount in H&M and Next today. blush

I've got a shit of a busy day tomorrow, 1 child on an early-late school trip, one needs dropping off as usual. J needs weighing, I have a smear test, we have the broadband guy showing up tomorrow. I have to go shopping at some point and I have a lot of phone calls to make. <feels sorry for self>

Oh and for those talking about poo, J is 13 weeks and ebf and has always done explosive poos about 4-8 times a day, still get quite a few out the nappy and up the back, bright yellow with pippy bits in, doesn't smell. (Y'know just in case anyone wanted a range of whats normal and whats not)

GTbaby Mon 04-Feb-13 00:10:29

Yeah. Dream feed complete. Although it took me close to 2hours to get him to sleep from 7pm.

Watching dexter n MNing while completing said dream feed. Super mum! grin

...I smell poo. Oh no.

GTbaby Mon 04-Feb-13 00:21:51

Oh dear a very smelly poo. Have his changing matt in his room. So took him there to change. He cried for a second then fell asleep. Thought about maybe leaving him in his own room... But chicken out at thought of getting up at 4.30 to get him lol.

However DH got up at 4.30 for work so maybe DH is waking LO?
May just possibly may try him in his cot tomorrow.

Another however. Today 7pm bed time started in his room. Then by 8.30 I bought him back to his crib in my room...

Getting my hair cut tomorrow! Woop! Can't wait. First time in a year!

TheDetective Mon 04-Feb-13 00:28:40

Oscar fell asleep for what I thought was a nap at 7.30 tonight. Again, not unusual considering the child can't manage longer than an hour awake... hmm. But when he hadn't woken by 9, I had to wake him and he was very confused. I think he had gone to sleep for the night blush. Anyway, chucked him in the bath, confused face continued interspersed with smiles... and then took him to our room for his last feed and sleep. Was convinced he wouldn't go to sleep. But he did. With his teddy rabbit. He's got a real thing for soft stuff... it's so cute. DS1 wasn't bothered by having soft blankets or toys.

Tomorrow, I am going to take him to baby sensory again. I hope he doesn't vomit on the lights again this week. blush

I think we might have to do an earlier bed time. I'm not sure. I like 9-9, that suits us pretty well. Will see how it goes keeping him where we are at...

ValiumQueen Mon 04-Feb-13 00:35:00

Hourly wakings again. tits sorry J is ill again. It is so hard after bronchiolitis as they catch everything. Remember they are getting bigger and stronger each day. Hopefully.

TheDetective Mon 04-Feb-13 00:38:11

VQ You have shit luck.

I thought I was unlucky. The kind of person to buy a winning lottery ticket and then watch it fall in the loo as it flushes away.

Your time will come... luck will come your way!

Your kids won't put you in a nursing home. That will be your reward. grin

TheDetective Mon 04-Feb-13 00:38:41

I threaten my mum with putting her in a nursing home with my Dad. BAHAHA. It keeps her in check. grin

PurplePidjin Mon 04-Feb-13 01:24:02

Marking place - growth spurt means that feed only took 10 minutes!!!

GTbaby Mon 04-Feb-13 01:41:59

Just has an omg I have. Baby moment. Lol

PurplePidjin Mon 04-Feb-13 02:27:13

Damn, 10 minute feed means up again an hour later angry

I need a job sad

katkit1 Mon 04-Feb-13 02:33:54

Brag - first time in 51 weeks that I've been able to go to bed without wearing a bra. No ache, no heaviness. Yay.

This thread is not accepting new messages.