Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - Vent, chat or brag

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Tue 29-Jan-13 12:21:34
BigPigLittlePig Sat 02-Feb-13 16:02:05

Oh pr you have my sympathies, dh gave up smoking when I was pregnant, he was a miserable shit but has done v well if we ignore the minor lapses the past few weeks

I saw the link for that lady on fb who makes old baby clothes into soft toys, they were beautiful. I'm so envious of anyone who is capable of making things like that. I have the ideas but a definite lack of ability.

We had a lovely few hours in town today, and not too many screams (from lo) or tantrums (dsd or dh). Have any of you who are bf'ing managed to feed in public successfully? I ended up retreating to the toilet blush. It probably doesn't help that at home I literally let it all hang out so have no practice at being discreet.

StuntNun Sat 02-Feb-13 16:13:13

MM I took the foam wedge out of the support last week but left the headhugger section in. It fits J fine now.

I have a Quinny Buzz, Cabriofix carseat and the carseat base. I have come to the conclusion that the people who make these instruments of torture don't actually have children so never need to use them. Everything is so awkward and fiddly. I wonder if Japanese pushchairs are any good.

GTbaby Sat 02-Feb-13 16:22:16

Pp. wooly hugs? Tell us more?

I still have to finish his blanket. That's my next job. Did a lot of cupboard sorting today grin so will be finished ahead of schedule.

PurplePidjin Sat 02-Feb-13 16:52:07

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MNWoollyHugs/349028448480855?ref=stream

Started nearly 2 years ago when EdgarAleNPie's son was diagnosed with a brain tumour. He earned his angel wings, and loads of folk wanted to do something to show they cared - 6" squares. I had time on my hands so volunteered to hook it together. Needed 60 squares, received 143 so i offered to make one for Rindercella, who lost her husband to cancer. Then BlondesHaveMoreFun's dh committed suicide... It's a bit of a bigger project now, but it's essentially MNers knitting and crocheting to help others.

Skills, time, wool and cash donations all welcome smile

PS, it's why we have the thanks emoticon <proud>

ValiumQueen Sat 02-Feb-13 16:57:36

Still not heard back from NHS24. Grr. DH was looking after her, so I went upstairs to look at how it was. Found her sitting atop her chest of drawers quietly applying Vaseline from top to bottom. She had also covered the majority of her toys, furniture, wall etc. just spent 15 minutes cleaning her up. I am not very pleased with DH. At least it was Vaseline and not drain cleaner. Rash, not surprisingly, looks quite irritated. As am I. Ffs! Who does not check on a 2yo at least every two minutes. They need to be watched all the time really. He got engrossed. Fucker!

Brockle Sat 02-Feb-13 16:59:09

no laughs for me either detective just little gurgles that sound a bit like the start of laugh. Y will shake a rattle but soon gets bored of it.

the big boys are out on a cycle ride so I spent the afternoon buying sleepsuits anf sitting in the M&S cafe with my mum eating scones.

bp I use a feeding apron out and about. a bit of a fad but total privacy and I can feed anywhere.

watching Y suck his fingers. never had dummies with the first two and now wondering if fingers are better than dummies?

blonderthanred Sat 02-Feb-13 17:00:31

I remember first reading about the Woolly Hugs when whatevertheweather's baby Erin died and crying my eyes out at the love and generosity of the whole thing. It's the most amazing aspect of MN that all these women come out to support each other & makes me proud to be part of the MN community.

I was delighted to read that wtw has now had another baby. Amazing that people we never see or speak to have such an impact on our lives and thoughts.

thanksthanksthanks for you pp and all the wh contributors.

PurplePidjin Sat 02-Feb-13 17:28:11

We've done 17 or 18 now including 3 for charity

Www.woollyhugs.com

StuntNun Sat 02-Feb-13 17:47:30

I prefer dummies Brockle as you can take them away when they're older. My DS2 sucked his fingers and his teeth are all pushed in at the front even though he stopped before he was 2. I sucked my thumb until I was 11 and now it has age spots on shock which I don't have anywhere else on my hands.

DH got back from Sweden last night and is off to Trier tomorrow. I was hoping he would have got some decent sleep while he was away but I'm afraid to ask. He was in a pretty bad way last night but seems okay today. He wasn't in the house 15 minutes before I heard him saying, "You little shit, why won't you go to sleep." I don't know why he thinks it's okay to say that to a baby, if you heard someone doing that in public you would be shocked. I know it's easy to get like that when they're crying inconsolably and you can't take it any more but this was 15 minutes of 'I'm tired and want to be asleep' whinginess and DH hadn't even seen J for over two days. The other day he came in from work and we were all sitting at the dining table having tea with J in the high chair so DH rushed over and picked up the cat and started cuddling her! I think he needs some bonding time with J so he's going to give him a bath tonight.

I'm just going to have to keep 'pecking' at him about his behaviour and trying to set a good model myself. I've given up on trying to have any time for my own activities, I have accepted that the occasional nap or bath is all I'm going to get out of him. Tbh I'm a little bit afraid of him looking after J without me for any length of time as he looses his temper with all three boys so quickly.

StuntNun Sat 02-Feb-13 17:49:17

Ack *loses
Stupid babybrain means I can't spell or apparently proofread any more.

BigPigLittlePig Sat 02-Feb-13 17:52:20

stunt I'm impressed you proofread, I'm afraid you just get my random outpourings, however incoherent or nonsensical.

Dixiebell Sat 02-Feb-13 19:09:19

Mm, I too have taken out the foam insert but retained the head support.

And I've done plenty of feeding in public. Just roll jumper up a bit and unhook vest top...you can't see anything when baby's in there. Although I was more self-conscious with ds1, did use toilets a few times with him, but this time round I'd always find a nice cafe rather than lock myself in a smelly loo!

Pikz Sat 02-Feb-13 19:17:18

We too have no foam bit.

We survived Manchester. Newborns and other people's houses who aren't your family is hard work. You become very aware of every cry.

LO is exhausted and already in bed, but I have the sinking feeling it shall be another unsettled night.

Evening everyone! smile
Long time no post from me, sorry about that, these hormones from the mini pill are causing me to be a miserable bitch a tad emotional at times. grin

J is doing swimmingly! He is giggling, rolling and sleeping 8 hrs through the night, he does however have a really gummy eye, people keep telling me to spray breast milk in it?!
He is also growing faster than clothes can keep up with so we're at the stage of chopping legs off babygrows.

In not so great news my car is dead, I'm relying on DP for lifts but I don't think it's a solid plan when he goes back to work but he's very blasé about everything so he's not bothered.

ChunkyChicken Sat 02-Feb-13 19:34:18

BPLP I feed whenever & wherever tbh. I usually wear a cheap Primark vest/cami top with a long sleeve t over the top. I unhook bra, lift t & get baby in position, & then quickly pull vest under boob & pop nip in mouth. I used to use a cover with DD but I'm less self-conscious now. I did use my cover when sitting in the prep room at work as I thought teenage boys & girls might not accept it as easily. Try practising it looking in a mirror and please don't go to the loo anymore. It isn't nice sitting in there - much better having a brew in a coffee shop & reading a trashy mag a decent book or surfing the net. It is surprisingly hard to see much & even harder if you use a cover/muslin/poncho. I have never had any negative comments not that they would know what hit them if I did only positive ones & occassionally thought someone might have been giving me dirty looks but f*%$ them although the looks might have been over me stealing 'their' table in a half empty cafe, despite them apparently reserving it with the child-less but present-full buggy, just before Xmas grin

Pidjin love the idea of learning to crochet, knit or something but I'm not particularly dexterous & not hugely patient with myself/tasks, as lack of patience is a shit quality as a teacher!! shock . I guess I could give it a try, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I was rubbish. Might do yoga or something too. And you are fab doing those hugs flowers

DonnaDoon Sat 02-Feb-13 20:09:30

Hi Tits yes breast milk is a natural way to clean up the infection apparently , not tried it myself but heard it said many times on here.

blonderthanred Sat 02-Feb-13 20:12:34

The job sounds like a great opportunity VQ, good luck with your application. As long as you've still got time for your new creative sideline! Hope the Valium household is improving health wise today.

BP I have bf in public, tbh I think it's good for it to be normalised and at the moment I don't feel like my breasts are for anything else so it doesn't seem as weird as I thought it might. I did have a small boy come and stare at me in Costa last week, I said, "hello" and he ran off but kept coming back for another look which was kind of funny.

Tits bm is meant to be the best thing for sticky eyes I've heard.

Stunt sorry to hear your DH is being a bit selfish & spoke to your DS like that. It's not on really. We all say odd things to our dc but only in jest and that doesn't sound like he was joking. Hope you get a bit more of a break soon.

Det I am shock your DP forgot his DS's DOB.

PurplePidjin Sat 02-Feb-13 20:20:39

I bf in public, normally wearing a button up top/shirt with a vest under in case I'm slow to do the buttons back up. If anyone has a problem, they can a) listen to the screaming and see if they prefer it b) eat their own lunch in the toilet/under a sheet c) start a petition to Rupert Murdoch c/o The Sun re: page 3.

R has been a grumpy little grotbag all day and has had two nightmares this evening. I'm wondering, with all the cluster feeding, if he has growing pains - i had them a lot as a child. Should i give him calpol if he carries on? He's asleep now, just about to transfer...

Passmethecrisps Sat 02-Feb-13 20:22:17

Evening all.

pidj I love the whole ethos behind wooly hugs - it is a wonderful thing that people are so willing to spend time, energy and money on such things. I hope you are feeling a little better than earlier on. The support from your mum and home start should hopefully help a bit.

stunt sounds like some bonding time is needed. Does your DH ever mention feeling a bit out of his depth? It doesn't sound great that you would worry about leaving him. You will be an excellent role model I am sure.

VQ poor wee snotty. Fingers crossed all your babies get better soon and stay better!

detective I think this about P sometimes. She seems totally disinterested (uninterested?) in most toys, doesn't yet reach for things and doesn't do much giggling. However, she is alert and smiley so all things in her own time I reckon.

I have seen a fair amount of BF recently what with all my gallivanting and it is interesting how it differs. I have seen amazingly discrete feeding where you would have to be within inches of the baby to be able to even know what is happening and I saw a lady who had to practically strip. Stripping lady looked slightly perplexed - possibly hadn't thought about the adequacy of the top before she left the house. Either way, noone should feel they have to sit in a stinky bog to feed. Easy for me to say but know it ladies - if anyone ever gives a BF lady a hard time in my earshot there will be trouble!

Oh, and to those who pondered "look, a bottle!" Lady - I talk endless, endless crap to Penelope all the time. Goodness knows what I say and what others think of it. I got paranoid recently at a thread about 'loud parenting' as I think I do this. I'm just chatting shit though. I was genuinely not offended or perplexed about it. You might well be right about the element of "look, a bottle! if you would take a bottle I might be able to have a glass of wine once in a chuffing blue moon "

Hope everyone had a nice day. It was lovely and sunny here but very cold. A proper January day.

We went into town with the girls. I dressed them in dresses and tights, they looked adorable, if I do say so myself! They have also starting holding hands the past few days. If I put them next to each other on the bed, most times they clutch hands smile

Today I was asked...
Were they IVF - unbelievably rude!
Am I sure they are not identical - hmmm, yes I am there mother, I am sure.
One of each - both were wearing pink coats.
Do I breastfeed - not appropriate to ask a complete stranger such a personal question.

People just can't seem to help themselves. Anyway, both of them are utterly exhausted as they don't sleep in the pushchair. They passed out as soon as I put them down and I haven't heard a peep from them since 6:45.

I hope everyone had a nice day smile

GT where about in India are you going?

I bf in public! I don't give a monkeys what other people see or think. grin

Has everyone taken the newborn insert out? I thought it wasn't supposed to be taken out until 4-5months? Hmm will have a look at M without it, not sure sea big enough yesterday

There's a mums better who makes babygrows in to teddies. She's on FB. Shall I link to it on the group?

I actually breastfed in a hunters lodge today! I was in a restaurant eating my lunch and J started yelling so DP asked the waiter if there was any private rooms I could use to feed him (I would normally feed at the table but it was packed and there wasn't a lot of room to manoeuvre) they let me use their private function room that had a roaring fire and deer heads lining the walls which was a bit gross, the chef came to have a chat while I was feeding grin

Yes please Fatima smile

Passmethecrisps Sat 02-Feb-13 20:33:10

Thanks fatima I knew there was other stuff I wanted to say. We still have the full shebang in the car seat for P. she is 11Ib and fairly short. I think it looks snug but it hadn't occurred to me to take anything out yet.

What about prams and Moses baskets? I am not convinced P will still fit in either the Moses basket or the pram at 6 months. She is 12 weeks on Monday and pretty much fills both. I was hoping to keep using the pram until the weather is better though - the seat just seems too exposed.

This thread is not accepting new messages.