Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2012: onwards, upwards and rolling over?

(1000 Posts)
YompingJo Sun 20-Jan-13 22:01:28

Is this part 5 already? Where did that time go?

squidkid Mon 21-Jan-13 20:18:06

Thanks guys
ShagMonday has made it all a bit better
As has Jess going to bed at 7pm (as opposed to 1am last night!!)
As has wine...

Zara1984 Mon 21-Jan-13 20:21:58

grin Squid

Argh ok as I mentioned on FB group, DS is fascinated by food! Already! Help! One of his favourite activities is looking at fruit. He also stares at us when we eat. This morning he watched DH and I eat cereal and buttered crumpets for breakfast very intently, and made chewing/sucking shapes with his mouth. And reached his hand out! confused

And he squeaks frustratedly if eg DH is eating while I'm giving DS his bottle.

17 weeks on the dot for weaning then....

Londonmrss Mon 21-Jan-13 21:21:45

Zara ever since I found out the other day that you're a kiwi, whenever I read your messages I keep hearing Rhys Darby's voice... Sorry- my only frame of reference for the NZ accent is Flight of the Concords!

i luffs gary barlow. he is such a beautiful man grin

oh squid. im so sorry about your gran. be kind to yourself and have lots of cuddles with jess- your gran is in a better place eh? big big hugs for you. even when expected its still sad. xxxxxx

lisbethsopposite Mon 21-Jan-13 21:55:39

Firsttime I can't help with fb. Too much of a luddite. Hang around here awhile - as we have shared so much here in the last year. Well we're not unfriendly , just cautious.

Squid sorry about your gran. It sounds like a full life with a peaceful end.

Elpis a wise gp once told me a good prognosticator for ms was the gap between first and second symptom. Your first symptom probably resolved spontaneously and you may not remember it now... weakness/ altered sensation/ double vision. Was it days or weeks or months to next?

I took my car for routine service today - 2 new tyres ,2 brake pads and tracking . They put on tyres for free confused.
Good job I`m too sore to shop because that car swallowed my wallet.
SAHM debate. I am too old to be putting my age on here (again) but I have come across many lonely mums of teenagers who cannot get back to work. I would strongly recommend trying to stay in the workforce, even if it's only a few hrs a week and does not make financial sense in short term.

lisbethsopposite Mon 21-Jan-13 22:04:10

Squid i got this dress.

http://www.milkandmummy.com/breastfeeding-dresses/phoebe-dotty

I got a size smaller than my usual. I am 14 and 12 is perfect. I like it with boots.
My makeup class was cancelled! Not enough people interested.
No sex here but I am in bed with a beautiful boy.
GP today said healing great. grin

Zara1984 Mon 21-Jan-13 22:08:46

Londonmrs that is brilliant!! Very good. I will try to sound even more like Rhys Darby in my posts. grin

Here's a Flight of the Conchord tune for kids, it's actually one of my favourite songs grin ok clearly it's not really for kids.... Albi the Racist Dragon

Elpis Mon 21-Jan-13 22:43:15

Thinking of you, squid.

We had a half-hour screamfest tonight - most unlike him. He kept trying to latch on but would only suck for a few seconds and didn't get letdown, so came off again and screamed harder. The volume made my ears ache. And he was so ANGRY. When he finally quietened down (I had to put DD to bed throughout all this) he fell asleep almost immediately. On reflection I think he was overtired - he dropped off on me several times today but I kept having to get up and do things. Must try harder to encourage him to sleep during the day. Sigh. I know I'm very lucky with him and rarely have to deal with this kind of thing.

DH off to Singapore tomorrow, until Saturday, when we go to Paris for two days. Hate being on my own. What if one of them is seriously ill? And it's so full-on - not that DH does a lot of childcare, but at least we can deal with DD's dinner time petulance together, and I don't have to hear 'I want Daddy' every twenty minutes.

Whinge whine.

OctoberOctober Tue 22-Jan-13 03:26:38

elpis I feel for you coping with 2 on your own. And the 'I want dp' drives me mad too, sometimes I want to shout 'Well you've got me, aren't I enough?'. Must try not to act like a petulant child...

squid really sorry to hear about your gran. Reaffirm in life through Jess. Thinking of you.

funchum8am Tue 22-Jan-13 04:57:12

squid sorry about your gran. Hope you are coping ok.

Huge respect to cranky...four!!

Think we are starting teething here - nothing to see but clearly in pain and very u.settled and dribbly. No more than an hour between wakings since 12:30am. Oh dear.

Olivess Tue 22-Jan-13 05:33:58

After a few better nights (when I say better I mean waking every 2.5 hours - it's amazing how your perspective changes isn't it) tonight is and has been truly awful! Since the early evening waking every 45 mins to an hour. I got no evening to myself - only just enough time to make a cup of tea.

DH has pissed me off - he has literally provided no respite at all. He had to work all weekend, yesterday evening he didn't even complete her bath/change routine because she started screaming and he 'finds it too stressful', then he went to play football, got back and came to bed as she was waking for the 4 time said to DD 'what are you doing waking so much' then turned over and went to sleep, has literally slept like a baby (ha ha ha - bad joke) all night. I am happy to take most of the responsibility because he is self-employed and has a lot of work /pressure but a hug in the middle of the night would be nice or some acknowledgement and sympathy that this is bloody tough for me. Aaaaaggghhh!

squid sorry to hear your sad news, whilst you knew it was coming, it doesn't take away the sadness. Hope you have had a better nights sleep.

We have our 2nd set of jabs this morning.

So sorry about your nan Squid. flowers Sounds like she was very well-loved.

When I said Kranky earlier I meant Cranky. How on earth do you manage 4?! You sound so laid back about it. I wanted 4 or 5, but now I've had 1 I don't think I could cope. grin

Sorry about your shit nights Funchum and Olivess, sounds hard. I remember the every hour waking very clearly confused
Olivess, I have to do the majority because of DH's work too, but you're right, a hug or just someone to (whisper) rant to at the umpteenth wake up really does make a difference. DH is usually good with this. And when he's not, I kick him.

Bit of a muddled night/morning for us. It's nearly 3pm and I've only just got in the bath, but hey, at least I got there eventually.
I think I've become a bit lax with bedtime, reasoning that the later he goes the more I can sleep while he sleeps [selfish mummy]. This worked up to a point, but it's gone a bit too far now, will have to get back on track tonight.
We have an early start tomorrow for mum & baby Japanese class miles away.

we have our 8 week jabs today... i is not looking forward to it confused

Woolybob Tue 22-Jan-13 08:22:39

mickey twill be worse for you than her love - have you got some calpol in just in case? We have our 16 week jabs next week, I forget the age range on here!

squid so sorry about your nan but glad it was peaceful, I think it sounds like the kind of death we would pick if that makes sense.

Sleep regression seems to have parked in the wooly household for the foreseeable future. Though it was getting a bit better but last two nights up every 2 hours again. Felt bad but then read your posts funch & olivess that's pretty epic non sleepage. And angry at your dh olivess 'too stressful'?? I know they work and need sleep but we are on duty 24/7 and a bit of moral support doesn't go amiss.

Was feeling a bit down yesterday so dh suggested I make a list of things I miss doing that cheer me up and he'll make sure I get time to do them. Just silly things like have been too worried to get a haircut in case dd cries all the way through (stupid I know). Anyway thought it was a nice idea, we are lucky as she'll take a bottle of formula if I'm not there but even if not might be a good exercise to suggest to your partners? It's a long depressing end to winter without any fun in it! Hope that makes sense and doesn't sound too patronising!

Welcome cranky - wouldn't worry too much about posting etiquette - sounds like you have your hands full! grin

Olivess Tue 22-Jan-13 09:16:40

Thanks wooly. That sounds like a great idea. I'm really sad though and all I really miss is having a bit of time to do some crafting. I've been really enjoying an hour of knitting a night when DD has gone to sleep but yesterday that was scuppered by her epic sleep fail. That was probably what put me in such a bad mood. DH did tAke baby olives for 45 mins this morning while I slept a bit longer. I still feel rough though.

Cheesymonster Tue 22-Jan-13 09:20:36

Sorry for your loss squid

Orenishii Tue 22-Jan-13 10:04:06

Sorry to hear about your nan, squid She was well loved and had a long life, and peaceful death. That is all any of us can ask for xx

Londonmrss Tue 22-Jan-13 10:25:55

The Natal Hypnotherapy people just emailed me asking for feedback on how they helped with my labour. So I gave it, mostly using words like 'utterly useless', 'agonising' and phrases like 'wished I was dead'. grin grin grin

hufflepuffle Tue 22-Jan-13 10:31:49

Hey. Squid I'm sorry to hear about your nan. Even when waiting on it to happen, it's still do sad. Love to you. So great you got to bring Jess to see her. Very special.

I am beside myself with tiredness. I feel sick. Crap nights usually interspaced with good ones. But I can't remember last good one. I should however count self lucky. He wakes to feed about every 2 hrs but at least goes back to sleep. It's just the constant waking and no deep sleep.
And no daytime naps beyond 35 mins for days. What is going on???

Baby massage today. Half country snowed in. Just texted her to see if cancelled. It's not. Hate paying for these things in advance, FFS. Doesn't look like anyone in whole street has tried to get car out. DH has stayed home and says he will drive us. Am I mental??

Oh I'd like a day off.

smileyhappymummy Tue 22-Jan-13 10:40:43

squid so sorry to hear about your nan. I am so pleased she got to meet her gorgeous great grand daughter, I love the photo on fb. Take care of yourself (and hurray for shagmonday!).
Is it bad that I am relieved that so many others of about the same age have sleep regression? Not wishing sleeplessness on anyone else but nice not to be alone. Much more crying and clinging here and waking every 90 minutes at least. Bought wonder weeks and reading that is good too - always noticed with dd1 that she was fussy and miserable just before a big developmental change so it makes sense to me.
Snow isn't helping either - I want to get out for a walk but can't. Humph.

Orenishii Tue 22-Jan-13 10:44:28

See London I managed 12 hours "hypnobirthing" and I was doing fine with contractions of 1 min long, 2 mins apart - until he turned, at which point I just lost it mentally. So I'll never know but i think a lot had to do with the environment - I was utterly unprepared for being in hospital and felt sick - physically sick - with how wrong it all was. I was prepared for pain but not the mental torture of being pressured into a place I did not want to be.

Who knows. If I'd been at home in my pool and he hadn't turned, I'd have coped til the end. I still believe in that approach but my mistake was to only think about it within certain parameters. Do you think you won't try it again?

Orenishii Tue 22-Jan-13 11:00:14

Having said that...I dunno if it helped but I'd done a lot of martial arts and had a lot of ring fights in the past, and a lot of experience of controlling adrenaline. I really, really believed in it and I credit DH a lot with being my "corner man" and dragging my mind back to focusing when I looked like I was losing it. He was dogged about it and using all sorts of tactics - it actually pissed me off at times but he got me through, like the coach he is.

So maybe those things helped. I was actually looking forward to the pain, in a primal way, and was ridiculously excited when the contractions started, even though they hit me like a truck!

hufflepuffle Tue 22-Jan-13 11:00:25

London not sure if I should tell you but your reaction to natal hypnobollocks has cheered me right up!!!!!! I too thought it would save me!!!!!!! I clearly remember using the word hypnobollocks out loud several times in my birthing pool!!!!

Tho seriously, think it actually helped me considerably in pregnancy. Taught me not to be afraid. Then reality hit like a steam roller!!!!!!

Elpis Tue 22-Jan-13 11:02:19

Huffle - yes, lack of deep sleep is an absolute killer. I blame lack of concentration on that.

DH has lost his passport, so probably won't be going to Singapore. Much angst. Frankly, it is his own fault for accumulating so much stuff. His tiny study is a tip and he relies on periodic clear outs.

This thread is not accepting new messages.