Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2012: onwards, upwards and rolling over?

(1000 Posts)
YompingJo Sun 20-Jan-13 22:01:28

Is this part 5 already? Where did that time go?

FirstTimeForEverything Mon 21-Jan-13 10:28:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FirstTimeForEverything Mon 21-Jan-13 10:29:10

FirstTimeForEverything Mon 21-Jan-13 10:29:41

crazypaving Mon 21-Jan-13 10:33:53

londonmrs I think we may have the same baby. impossible to feed except when basically asleep, never wants to feed in the morning. driving me insane.

livvy what was that website you recommended for bfing clothes? can't find that post and sick of rotating 3 manky unflattering tops.

CookieMonster88 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:14:54

Ah, more snow has arrived and its blowing a gale, day house bound for us hmm need some new entertainment ideas!?

Does anyone have any tips on encouraging the wee one to roll over? I feel there must be something I can do to help. She has started trying to touch her feet this morning smile so cute.

I go back to work part time in August, I'm very lucky that my work has been great and basically said I can work whenever I want as long as I get the job done. So DD will be at nursery all day Monday, then 3 mornings. I did read though that they should have at least 4 sessions at nursery a week (so 2 full days or 4 half days) to make it less disruptive. Apparently they never get used to it if they only go once a week. Kind of makes sense.

turnwest Mon 21-Jan-13 11:36:40

I m 35.

I ve been SAHM for the last 5 yrs because my husband is self employed and works away a lot, it just sort of made sense for us. Mostly I enjoy it but sometimes I do feel a bit lonely, the best time was when my DD was about 3 and I we able to lots of stuff together, I really enjoyed that. Not enjoying looking after a baby so much at the moment though. Sat in bedroom now frantically trying to get him to nap but nothing works.

turnwest Mon 21-Jan-13 11:38:00

Sorry for typing and grammatical errors!!

Oh no Bora, that's not good, how quickly can you get it sorted?!

Welcome Kranky! smile

I won't join in the education discussion, as firstly my little brain can't think that far ahead and secondly, it's a whole other ball game in Japan.

And as for sleep regression, I'm refusing to acknowledge it. I shall pretend it doesn't exist in the vain hope that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy wink grin
I'm only just now allowing myself to say that sleeping through is the rule, rather than the exception, here.

Trip was great. It didn't snow while we were there, but lots remaining after last week's freak amounts, so all very pretty. Dinner illusion show was good, but not amazing especially for the price particularly with baby. DS was very good though, even though it was long and loud.
A weekend of firsts for him - first overnight trip, first boat ride, first jacuzzi bath with view of Mount Fuji! grin
And I was just happy that he slept well despite sleeping loads in the car seat.

I'm 31 btw.
Going back to work full time in April, but I'm lucky that DS can come with me (if it works out). He'll be looked after by my MIL one day a week.
Actually things will get a lot harder when he starts kindergarten or whatever because my hours do not work well with school drop off and pickup times, and I don't drive at the moment.
Don't know if I would want to be a SAHM. It was a definite no before I had DS, but now I think I might if I was in the UK. Not here though, it's too lonely and unfamiliar here.
It's not even a consideration though, because of the commitment I made to my partner and our business.
But totally agree - empowerment is all about choices.

Londonmrss Mon 21-Jan-13 14:00:56

how often should a 12 week baby be napping? mine can only be awake for about an hour and a half before being a nap. she usually naps for about 45 mins. I thought she would bee going longer between naps by now but she just gets grumpy if I keep her up longer. Am not complaining as I know it can be good to have a daytime napper.

WantAnOrange Mon 21-Jan-13 14:05:12

How can we be 2 pages in already?! I'm trying to keep up but in the middle of writting essay due in on wednesday. Eek!

Bora I am a childminder! I supose I'm not really biased. I've worked in nurseries and I've worked as a childminder, and used both as a parent, then I made my mind up about them.

I am 24 years old.

I would love to be a SAHM but DH is unemployed so I have to go back to work. Also dont see how we'll ever get a mortgage if we dont both work, and I hate renting.

CookieMonster88 Mon 21-Jan-13 14:11:37

Londonmrss, we are on about the same here, 45min naps followed by 1.5 - 2 hrs awake. She been in this routine for about 2 weeks now, no routine at all before and hardly any naps.

BoraBora Mon 21-Jan-13 15:06:05

Hmm, she seems to be awake for 2-3 hours?

Olivess Mon 21-Jan-13 16:04:40

My DD is only awake for 1.5-2 hours at a time. She gets VERY grumpy if she's awake for any longer. She tends to have one long nap in the early afternoon which can be 2 hours - I have to wake her from this nap quite often. She doesn't nap in the crib though - tried that for about an hour and a half this morning and she just kept waking up and crying. I have to take her out in the pram, although I don't mind because we do a lot of groups etc during the day which I have t o walk to anyway plus I like the fresh air and exercise.

CrankyMama Mon 21-Jan-13 16:52:27

Hi again all,
I'm trying to figure out the ins and outs of mums net! Its taken me ages to find my way about, add that to me being a crap typist. Plus I haven't a clue about posting etiquette?

As I said in the other post my dd was born on Oct 1st. She's a great baby ...so far. I'm a sahm , my others are ds who is 6 and 2 dds of 4 and 2. I enjoy it but there are days I want to scream. My eldest 2 are autistic so we have some fun days in this house.

Dd is a crap sleeper, I'm up at least 2 if not 3 times a night feeding her.....she better not be like her older sister. She's a big girl too, well long rather.

I look forward to chatting to you all, hope all your babies are doing well.

Orenishii Mon 21-Jan-13 17:03:46

DS has been in the cheap pretend bedside cot from Ikea since birth, or in with us. The cot cost about £60 I think, and has a removable side and two different heights - perfect for bedside cotness! He slept a little bit in the beginning in the basket downstairs but generally just falls asleep in my arms then I transfer him to the seat beside me on the sofa, on his lambskin. The cot has been awesome - it's like an extension of my side of the bed and I can just reach out and hold his little hand. I saw a Mothercare one that did exactly the same, looked pretty much the same and was £200!! And randomly, even though Ikea have their own special annoying mattress sizes, Primark fitted flannel sheets are the exact size.

He sleeps about the same in the day as Olivess' DD - only awake for about 1.5 - 2 hours between sleeps for play time, swimming, talking etc. He sleeps between 20 minutes and 3 hours at a time. We're pretty routine-less here - we just sorta leave him to his own rhythm, only really keeping on making sure he doesn't get over tired and also gets daylight on his face every day.

squidkid Mon 21-Jan-13 18:16:35

Jess is having a growth spurt and i am wiped out. She's fed about 14 times today. I feel like I'm not even producing milk and want to burst into tears.
Very cabin fevery with the snow - think my group tomorrow will be cancelled. I did get out for a litt;e walk in the snow with the sling
My gran died this morning, but peacefully. She was 91. I am not upset exactly, just a bit sad.
I found the birth discussion on facebook quite therapeutic.

Londonmrss Mon 21-Jan-13 18:23:19

feeding strike seems to be coming to an end. fingers crossed. how's yours huffle?
we got an Ikea cot. it's 120 by 60cm so fits mattress etc from mothercare. it was about 50 quid.
sounds like you have your hands full cranky! I used to run playschemes for kids with autism to provide respite for parents- I remember how grateful those patents were for the break from their wonderful yet exhausting children.

Londonmrss Mon 21-Jan-13 18:30:06

sorry about your gran squid. hugs.

Midgetm Mon 21-Jan-13 18:51:57

Marking place. Welcome cranky. So sorry about your grandma Squid. Big waves to all.

FirstTimeForEverything Mon 21-Jan-13 19:12:40

BoraBora Mon 21-Jan-13 19:15:46

I'm sorry to hear about your grab. It always hurts, however expected.

My undercarriage really hurts hmmhmmhmm

Beccus Mon 21-Jan-13 19:51:57

sorry about your gran, squid.
hi cranky, wow, 4!!

londonmrs, same sleep pattern here - tired after 1.5-2 hrs & napping for 30-45 min.

loving my yr off, but dont think sahm is for me. need to look up what a montessori nursery is. my priority was close proximity to home, and that the staff seem sensible & r friendly, kids r happy & stimulated with lots of opportunity for outdoor play. have seen 2 and both seemed lovely, but one only takes kids up to 3. would like her to be able in the one place & make friends until she is 5, so we r going with that one. long waiting list - no spaces until june. i keep changing my mind re returning to work ft/pt. nursery fees make ft place far more financially viable, but we could manage with me pt & i find my job v. stressful & tiring and don't think i'd have enough left to give at home if i went back ft. have to c what work says, anyway. not sure if pt is an option. am over being snowed in - have cabin fever!! running out of ideas to entertain dd. left her with dp yesterday for 5 hrs - he managed really well smile

OctoberOctober Mon 21-Jan-13 19:58:28

Went to mum and baby yoga today, not that keen, probably already doing the stretchy movements with him anyway out of instinct and the poo dance. Will prob go again as it is drop in and fits in with ds1 being at nursery but not sure that I would bother otherwise. Best bit chatting to other mums.

Has rather put me off baby sensory class I was thinking of, after all he gets lots of stimulation from ds1 and it is not like we're keeping him in a paper bag...

Zara1984 Mon 21-Jan-13 20:09:38

I'm sorry for your loss Squid sad always sad even if it was expected.

Crazy... wow. Somebody make that woman a cup of tea! Respect.

OK so DS tried to roll over this morning for the first time while DH was changing his nappy on the bed! We helped him to finish the roll and he looked very pleased with himself but hasn't attempted it again. However (unlike what the books say) he's trying to roll from back to front - so I've been putting the poor baby on his tummy trying to get him to roll that way! And he's like errrr no mum.

This thread is not accepting new messages.