Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012 - so, do we all know what we're doing yet?

(994 Posts)
MaMaPo Sun 20-Jan-13 04:56:17

smile

Clarella Mon 28-Jan-13 10:20:03

zcos only too much foremilk all the time - I had over expressed in hospital then we went to demand feeding one small baby but my body thought I was feeding twins or a very big baby! am having some probs again at mo but it will settled down- but it's still very necessary for baby! I expressed a little off so it didn't drown him yesterday but it seems to have calmed a lot today so far.. some babies are more prone to it than others. my sister claims yo have never really needed to burp her daughter!

zcos Mon 28-Jan-13 10:20:13

by we I mean me and dd ... not anyone else just noticed that ahh

SeymoreInOz Mon 28-Jan-13 10:30:05

Thanks mamapo and spotty! Looks like I need to put a bit more effort in than 5 mins here and there then! DH tried to give a bottle before bed this evening but DS only wanted the boob. He's more receptive to it during the day.

clarella that sounds really stressful. I've been pulling DS off at let down and catching it in a pad, sounds like you've tried that though. Has the block feeding reduced your supply at all? I think mine has decreased a bit.

pmgkt I've thought about it because DS is so noisy when he sleeps but he wakes at least every 2 hours so I'd rather not have to walk down the hall to his room all night! Also he sometimes brings up milk and chokes on it in his sleep. [Shock]

zcos Mon 28-Jan-13 10:30:43

I see clarella mine farts a lot and doesn't seem to need to burped and I didn't use to in the day but then she would be in agony in the night so really learnt my lesson! you have put my mind at rest there I siphoned off the first watery milk of the day a few times then worried I was giving her gas.

Pmgkt I haven't yet and I don't really want too but J has taken to moaning loudly in His sleep. It can go on for hours. Only been the last few of days so hoping he grows out of it.

Lounged around in bed for too long and now we're going to be late for our doctors appt

Right so far today I've got us all up, fed and dressed. Taken dd to nursery. Folded washing. Put towels in to wash. Cleaned the bathroom. Swept the sitting room floor. Sorted out the cupboard under the sink. Now time for quick lunch, feed ds (again) and pick dd up. Still need to Hoover upstairs and clean the kitchen. Oh and the sky man is coming this afternoon I'm excited to finally have more than eight channels, none of which include bbc hmm

MaMaPo Mon 28-Jan-13 11:49:07

Nice one, Spotty!

I am dancing for joy as I 'put the baby down when drowsy, but not asleep' (as all the books say) and she has fallen asleep on her own! And woken up once or twice, just to drift off again! Thank God for Ewan the sheep. He works well. She sounds like she is stirring a bit now, but she is also farting merrily away so that might be what she's being noisy about (while remaining asleep).

In the 'downtime' I have also managed to iron some shirts, do a bit of tidying and now am sitting down with an early lunch.

Pmgkt, our baby has been incredibly noisy from day one, always in her sleep. I use earplugs and keep her in our room.

Secondsop Mon 28-Jan-13 11:49:30

Spotty that's a heck of a morning! You put me to shame - am still in bed with little Z.

Thanks again for the sticky eye tips - after keeping them clean yesterday it's vastly improved today.

Sorry to hear of the various sleep problems. I feel very fortunate in that the last couple of nights Z has been sleeping nicely in his carrycot and settling back down after the night feeds. He's sleeping now so has enabled me to have that most precious of things, a massive lie-in, although I've let him snuggle up to me for it as he is so sweet I couldn't resist.

I would much rather still be in bed seconds!

Secondsop Mon 28-Jan-13 12:38:11

I'm STILL in bed even now! Just gave Z a feed.

A question: those that breastfeed, are your babies' feeds shorter now they're a bit bigger? z is 8 weeks and 15 minutes per boob seems enough for him, but I don't know if that's because he's better at feeding or because he's got reliant on bottles so isn't bothered about a long breastfeed. He does seen to be emptying the breast quite well in that time.

CODwidow Mon 28-Jan-13 12:53:48

Dd is still in with me but will sleep in her basket 10-3 then feeds for 15 mins and then co-sleeps til 7 so I'm getting plenty of sleep. I know I'm in the minority and feeling very grateful. But we do still have thrush and my left breast is now excruciating! I can see this ending my bf if it doesn't get sorted very soon sad so massive sympathies to everyone else suffering!

Parental guilt is awful at the mo, I think it's hormonal though and I'm one that's just started the mini pill so must keep on eye on it! I even felt bad today as ds took a map into school for show and tell and he couldn't name all the flags when asked, he's only 6!! But I walked away feeling really bad that I hadn't sat and taught him.

CODwidow Mon 28-Jan-13 12:54:29

Ooo and seconds dd also now only takes 10-15 min each side to feed.

I only feed one side each time is that ok??confused Usually about 20 minutes

brooke89 Mon 28-Jan-13 13:36:21

Mama same works for me! If I put LO in Moses basket after a feed when she's a little sleepy I can usually get her off after half hours rocking! smile Love it when it works! Me - 1 .... LO - 0 muwhahaha wink

FriendofDorothy Mon 28-Jan-13 13:46:41

Poor Edward has really runny poo today. He was so unsettled last night that I wonder whether he has a sore tummy.

First attempt at expressing today. I got 3.5oz in 10 mins. Is that any good?

CODwidow Mon 28-Jan-13 13:56:03

We only feed one side sometimes smile

pmgkt Mon 28-Jan-13 14:05:14

Great news, another 13 oz today. That's 27 in 2 weeks, he feels much less boney now.

FoD that's more than I get smile

Wow pmgkt! That's loads!

D has successfully just screamed throughout most of lunch out. Normally he saves his screaming for the privacy of our own home.

D's thrush in his mouth is looking worse still but mine is feeling better. Sorry you're still suffering COD. D has a couple of days of medicine left so will see how he is by then otherwise it's back to the dr. again

He's also taken to fighting with my boob. What is going on with this child...?

We made it in time. J took the opportunity of the 3 minute car journey to the docs to have a massive poo! I had to do a rapid change so that the doctor didn't have to smell it!

We had a trainee GP, he was shite. Barely looked at anything. Did weigh J though - 9lb 14oz. 14oz in 2 weeks.

I asked him about my pelvic floor being weak but he seemed to think it may just take a few more weeks to recover. I get a pain when I close my bladder, as if the muscles are really strained. Anyone else get this?

Why did I have to get the baby who cries all the time?? My nipples are so sore from him feeding every single hour and I've had to abandon dinner because he wants feeding again poor dd

zcos Mon 28-Jan-13 17:07:50

friendofdorothy I think that's a lot to express I could even get one oz sat that was after 39 mins sometimes I can get that amount but it takes least 30 mins. would like to know others amounts.

PurplePidjin Mon 28-Jan-13 17:14:54

I get about 2oz per side in 5 minutes with an Avent manual, but only express when I'm engorged - at work or if he has a long sleep. I've taken to doing 2-3 minutes per side to stop oversupply, which gives 2oz total. And i don't pump every day, more like 2-3 times a week!

EggsMichelle Mon 28-Jan-13 17:51:28

Weigh in today, 10lb 10oz, a gain of 20oz in 2wks. Really proud and he is almost in the 50th percentile range, was in 9th at 5wks. Well done to the other weight gains.

I express once a day and only get 1oz, but that's all we need for now to get the gaviscon down him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now