Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012 - the sleep and poo thread (too much of one, not enough of the other)

(997 Posts)
PurplePidjin Sun 06-Jan-13 22:45:43

shock

Clarella Sun 20-Jan-13 08:42:09

hi five 6 hours sleep with 4 unbroken!!

I blooming woke at 3 though expecting him to be up and was wide awake!

what we realise is happening is that he's now fighting sleep in the eves and at other times. he's started not having much from the bottle when dh has him in the evening, falling instantly asleep. mind you nothing is set in stone I think till he's done it for at least a week...

MaMaPo Sun 20-Jan-13 04:57:17
MaMaPo Sun 20-Jan-13 04:49:51

Clarella - snap! Finally feeding C now after 5 hours since last feed. It's a record! My husband gave her a bottle of expressed milk before midnight, which means its about 8 hours since I last fed and my boobs are absolutely killing me. After I change her I might try to put her on the other side, just for some relief. But given I've had almost 6 hours sleep and 4! of them unbroken it's a small price to pay.

Hales - that sounds tough. My sister had a terrible time with mastitis and thrush (hospitalised when my niece was only a few days old) but she managed to push through and bfed all 3 of her kids without any further problems. So if you feel you can hang in there, ongoing problems are not inevitable. I hope it clears up soon.

Clarella Sun 20-Jan-13 04:35:23

huge changes again..... just gone 5 hrs between feeds!!! and suddenly started this thing where he was wide awake after feeds yesterday eve - we were at a friends so possibly all new etc but it was very different to the usual post boob narcolepsy ..... it can get better! (famous last words!!)

oh hales you've had it bad - so sorry. can you mix feed for a few days? though I think they do say keep going as the best way ti clear it all out of your breast more quickly? <hugs>

Yes put socks on his hands! I cut ds's nails with scissors.

utopian99 Sun 20-Jan-13 03:14:55

Have just changed ds and he is making A Huge Amount of noise feeding, and scratching the buggery out of my boob with his evil tiny nails which i can't for the life of me file down. My fault for not putting him in a sleepsuit with mits. Argh. (Can I put socks on his hands?)

Sorry I didn't mean that to sound like I was belittling it as I know it's meant to be really painful. I just meant we will probably all get it at some point so don't take it as I sign you shouldn't carry on grin

Ah hales poor you! Thrush is really common in breastfeeding I hope it clears up quickly for you thanks

halesball Sun 20-Jan-13 00:48:29

Congratulations WillYou, although i hope you don't see this message till the morning when you've had a sleep.

We have no routine here either and also have a baby who is snuffly during the night, but also during feeds.

Thank you for the dummy advice hopefully persistence will be the key.

We've had a bad day here with Breast pain for me and Heidi's mouth being coated in a white substance. After seeing the on-call GP turns out we have Thrush due to being on antibiotics. Safe to say i am now considering throwing the BF towel in completely, its as though the universe doesn't want me to, first mastitis now thrush!!

utopian99 Sun 20-Jan-13 00:20:54

wl we're co-sleeping too, or would have cracked by now. Am putting him into his hammock every now and then but given up on concerted efforts until 6 weeks/longer sleeping bouts.. I know exactly what you mean about missing dh though.

Secondsop Sat 19-Jan-13 22:52:10

WL we're co-sleeping. Turned out to be the only way to keep our sanity intact.

MaMaPo Sat 19-Jan-13 21:30:41

Congrats will you! We are reduced to congratulating each other in bowel movements.

Clarella - yes, we have had a grenade few days. Tough, but it definitely helps to label them. Other concerns (with family, work etc) just get magnified.

Well, first attempt to put D down before we go to bed failed miserably.

WLmum Sat 19-Jan-13 20:51:26

I'm exhausted today too, think I'm going to skip trying to get her in her basket at bedtime (asap) and go straight to co-sleeping. Anything for a bit more sleep. Missing DH though, even though he's in the bed with us, I am trapped facing away from him. Oh well, wont be for long in the grand scheme.

I would give anything for more than 90 minutes sleep in a row. The nighttime dread has set in.....

He's now sleeping on DP's chest the little traitor Plus side is DP has agreed to take all the night feeds as I look and feel like utter shit!

utopian99 Sat 19-Jan-13 18:56:02

stacks that's exactly what O's been doing - power naps between fussing and mini feeds... Hoping he'll revert to some longer sleeping by nighttime. (really really hoping)

Stacks Sat 19-Jan-13 18:35:46

We sort of have a routine, at 3 weeks. He's been doing it naturally for a while now - feed and sleep (usually with fussing) sometime between 9 and 12 pm, then sleep for 4 hours, feed for 30 mins, sleep for 3-4 hours, feed and if I'm lucky sleep again. Last night he was asleep for 11pm, woke up at 3:30 fed and back down for 4am, slept till 7:30, fed then slept till 9:30.
Through the day he'll (on a good day) feed then sleep for 2hrs, and just repeat till bed time. Other days he won't settle and just power naps between feeds and fussing.

I actually got out the house today. Walked 5 mins to our local lidl, but got T in the sling, where he was comfortable enough to fall asleep, so I'm calling it a success.

EggsMichelle Sat 19-Jan-13 17:49:46

willyou maybe now he has pooed he will sleep. We have been stuck in an eat/sleep cycle most of the day, but did get 30mins on the play mat with out screaming! Operation "prepare for bed" has began, lets see if last night was just a fluck (I can't handle his 11pm bed times any more!)

Honey F has been sticking his tongue right out in the last week, I assumed it was hunger.

Clarella Sat 19-Jan-13 17:08:00

hoorah willyou!

I'm not sure honey - I'd have said hunger but could be starting to try different things with his mouth for vocalisation / chewing etc. the mouth and tongue are how they start exploring sensory wise.
big changes afoot here methinks - suddenly much bigger poos and much longer feeds and actually slept from 9 - midnight last night instead of fussing - did the fussing all day!!

only thing is that he wakes in the night due to furious and seemingly painful straining which then reminds him he's hungry - I'm sure he'd go longer.

we had a grenade moment today. but it helped to think of it like that (mamapo? thanks!)

It is indeed! but better than changing them, lifting them up and realising they've pooed again!

Willyou Congrats! It's such a relief when it does happen even thogh cleaning up that much poo at once is a little bit soul destroying

We have pooooooo! grin 3 days worth all at once <faints> not pleasant but he's SO much happier!

when did my life become poo obsessed

For the love of god sleep boy! Also neighbours from hell: stop teaching your new dog tricks in annoying loud baby voices you dicks

<cranky bitch alert>

It's more like he's pushing the middle of his tongue out, if that makes sense?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now