Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012 - the sleep and poo thread (too much of one, not enough of the other)

(997 Posts)
PurplePidjin Sun 06-Jan-13 22:45:43

shock

WLmum Mon 07-Jan-13 20:46:03

Fab thanks clarella

spotty. I def remember saying the same thing with dd1! I think often it does actually get harder for a bit as dcs get a bit more demanding and birth high hormones settle down and give way to knackeredness. It absolutely does get easier though, and more rewarding. I think they start to smile just as we think we've had enough, and one of those beauties suddenly makes it all ok again.

PurplePidjin Mon 07-Jan-13 20:46:13

Things are definitely getting better at 7 weeks - I'm more relaxed and able to read his cues. I know there's an end to the evening grot and that he'll sleep 4-6 hours after it. I'm also healed from the battering birth gives!

MaMaPo Mon 07-Jan-13 21:00:00

Good luck to everyone who needs it with bf. I'm having a rocky time with supply at the moment - little C has been feeding erratically (v frequently last night, v infrequently today) and my breasts don't know what's what. Think I will visit baby cafe on Weds to ask the mw.

I'm pretty sure we're getting the first smiles now. They're astonishing! Turn me into a gooey wreck!

Well I'm back from zumba and monumentally knackered. DH gave Ethan his first bottle of expressed milk. It was a success eventually after 10 minutes screaming and some odd pulled faces glad I can go out for an hour and they're alright.

I absolutely did not nearly stay home as I didn't want to leave ds, no siree

Oh and we've finally been signed off by the midwives. And Ethan now weighs 8lb 8oz so all this feeding is doing some good.

Sorry to hear others are having problems. As long as baby is fed it doesn't matter his it happens, don't beat yourselves up about any of it.

We probably won't get any smiles until ten weeks sad

WLmum Mon 07-Jan-13 21:23:56

Well done*stacey*.

spotty it will fly by, just keep telling yourself it will get better! Will ds sleep in pram or carrier - can u send DH out with him sometime so I can catch a break? Treat yourself to a pedicure I say - one scant hour of pampering does wonders.

I've just been watching moby wrap videos on you tube. Man I love t'internet!

Bellaboo123 Mon 07-Jan-13 22:05:10

Spotty keep you're chin up you're doing great and have helps us all out loads with great advice! smile

Aw Spotty everything seems worse when you're tired. I have no advice as we're ffing now but <enormous hugs> to you thanks

Honey j's all bunged up to (40hours and counting) I feel so sorry for him as he's obviously in pain. I've switched him to aptamil easy digest. Will the doctor give you lactulose for him?

<waves to ispy > did you have your baby in Wigan? I think you went a couple of weeks earlier than me (I was in 15-18th). I thought they were really good.

PurplePidjin Mon 07-Jan-13 22:21:55

We're not getting many, and they're quite faint, at 7 weeks Spotty. Lots of happy gurgles though confused

Secondsop Mon 07-Jan-13 22:35:11

No proper smiles here yet (will be 6 weeks on Thursday). My mum said it'll take 3 months! Is she wrong, or was I just a moody baby?

Went to a restaurant for dinner with husband, mum and little Z. It all went well although nappy change was a trial with no proper changing facility plus I forgot my change mat so ended up changing him on the changing bag on the closed loo seat (it all looked spotlessly clean...).

ISpyPlumPie Mon 07-Jan-13 23:29:57

Willyou - I had N at home, but DS1 was born in Wigan Infirmary and I was pretty impressed. The community mws who I dealt with this time were fab too - think we're pretty lucky round here.

Spotty <hugs>. My experiences of feeding are incredibly similar to Afro's - DS1 was a milk monster of the highest order who stedfastly refused to drink from any vessel other than me and it was absolutely relentless at first. I can't pinpoint exactly when, but gradually it did improve and I realised that I was spending less of the day feeding. Both the frequency and length of feeds reduced, and it just didn't seem so all-consuming any more. At about four months he (finally!) started to drink ebm from a cup meaning I could do such exciting things as get my hair done (my roots were an absolute sight to behold by this point).

In the end, it just became a small part of day-to-day life and I fed him until he was two and half (went back to work p/t when he was one and was it fine just feeding early morning/evening on work days). If someone had told me at the start how long I would feed him for I would have had them committed, but it just changed so much. Not saying that feeding to toddlerhood is for everyone or should be the aim, just trying to show how much it does adjust iyswim.

It sounds as if F is thriving - if that carries on through bf, ff or a combination it doesn't matter and you are doing a fantastic job either way.

Just thought everyone would like to know we have just had the most epic poo explosion - took out his vest, sleepsuit, a muslin, a cushion and his change mat. He's just had a bath then weed on mummy. Daddy got pooed on so is in the shower. Dear god, it looked like the Somme.

grin glad he's feeling better now honey that sounds epic!

Honey grin

Thanks ISpy hopefully we will get there

Seconds I was told they smile at 46 ish weeks so although ds is six weeks old now he's only 41+2...

Secondsop Tue 08-Jan-13 01:30:12

Ah spotty so Z might not smile for another couple of weeks then? He'd be 43+4.

honey that poo sounds EPIC. Z poos every other day at the moment but on each second day I'm on tenterhooks in case he hangs on longer than 2 days.

Can I ask a question of ladies who express? I'm starting to get somewhere with hand-expressing (the pump is yet to justify its cost-per-use ratio) and would like to start freezing a little stash; I am mixed-feeding but thought it would be good to save some breast milk for if, for example, Z is ill and more breastmilk would help him. Have any of you bought freezer bags and if so, what brand would you recommend? Lansinol has mixed reviews of people either saying theyre amazing or saying they leak. Medela seems to have good reviews but is pricier.

Bellaboo123 Tue 08-Jan-13 01:30:57

Yay Honey grin

MaMaPo Tue 08-Jan-13 02:51:35

Honey - hooray! I bet he feels so bloody relieved!

Seconds - for what it's worth, I use medela bags and they're fine. Disclaimer: I have frozen exactly one (1) bag and haven't defrosted it yet. smile

Clarella Tue 08-Jan-13 03:56:59

Go Dash! great news honey!

interesting about the 46 wks smile; we're sure G gave a definite smile after bath and when daddy pulling his routine silly faces and he was exactly 46 wks yesterday smile

so maybe this is his 6wks growth spurt??? (due to 2 wks over cooked in womb?)

ebm bottle epic fail due to dh not bothering to wind him cos he dropped off - puked then cried then needed book anyway. this baby needs winding!!!

I use the lansinoh bags and haven't had a problem. I keep them stood up though when not frozen

Ds hasn't pooed for over 24 hours (after usually going at every feed)!

He's currently having the noisiest feed ever confused

WLmum Tue 08-Jan-13 04:35:33

Will this feed ever end? To make up for last nights success t is having none of her basket tonight and has roped her big sisters into helping the night fly by - they both have coughs/colds and have been in our bed in tears. So desperate to lie down.

EggsMichelle Tue 08-Jan-13 06:24:51

Loosing the will to live. F screamed all day yesterday, has woken me every hour for a feed, vomited with every feed (some times multiple vomits), pissed all over himself and only gained 5oz in 10days. Why has he suddenly become the devil child at 4wks? He won't let me put him down, he is refusing to go in his chair (which he was sleeping in for hours at a time last week). And to top it off, DH read my post yesterday moaning about him and he got upset, he's sleeping even less than me and has moved to the sofa. I feel like running away, I'm in need of a lot of reassurance right now cause I don't feel that I am doing anything right sad

utopian99 Tue 08-Jan-13 07:02:00

eggs sending you hugs and I'm sure it will.get better. I had another poor me episode tonight at midnight, O has been on epic feeding since mid afternoon but just Will Not Stop. Had a bag night for sleep the night before and then tonight just wanted to feed incessantly, but making incessant noise and wriggling throughout.

Dh has kept trying to settle him and give me a break but it's impossible with the feeding and as he's not yet two weeks a bottle of expressed milk is still early as i don't want to risk nipple confusion.

I miss terribly time just able to curl up with dh, and i'm still bleeding and waiting for stitches to heal so we can't do anything 'marital', which i also miss as i find it great stress relief and bonding between us. I love O totally but today has been really hard.

MaMaPo Tue 08-Jan-13 07:03:45

Oh Michelle. That sounds tough. Could he be having a growth spurt? It's so hard to work this stuff out sometimes a lot of the time. I did post on FB asking my friends if they knew where I could download the instruction manual for babies but get weren't very forthcoming.

As for your husband - time for an honest chat? One helpful thing my husband and I were told by other new parents was that a baby is like throwing a grenade into your relationship. Since then we made a pact to look for, recognise and label what we call 'grenade moments' or 'grenade days' when we find ourselves being angry or snippy of taking something (usually tiredness or confusion or frustrations) out on the other person. To look at my husband and say - sorry, it's been a very grenade night. - feels like an easy way to apologise.

What a load of waffle. I guess I'm saying that there are lots of reasons to be angry at our partners at the moment. This shut is tough. But it will pass.

WL - hope you got some sleep.

MaMaPo Tue 08-Jan-13 07:05:45

Accidental self-censorship! This shit is tough! I came over all kiwi.

Sorry for all the crappy nights sad ours was ok but not great. I have to be out the house in an hour and have a headache plus ds just projectile vomited all over my bed.

Having a baby is a big strain on a relationship it does get easier though. Dp knows to take all my snippy comments on the chin as its just because I'm tired b

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now