Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012 - the sleep and poo thread (too much of one, not enough of the other)

(997 Posts)
PurplePidjin Sun 06-Jan-13 22:45:43

shock

WLmum if on the mobile site you'll need to go to your inbox, do new message and type in the recipient. There's no button to click to automatically send a pm!

We're off to the midwife this afternoon. Not sure if they'll discharge us when we're still waiting for the results from the hospital. confused

Nope D still hasn't pooed and is miserable and quite clearly in pain. I feel so helpless. The gaviscon did wonders for the reflux symptoms but it isn't worth the misery if him not pooing. Spoke to dr this morning who said to stop the gaviscon for the min - hoping that having given his oesophages a rest for a couple of days might halt things for a bit. Been recommended to ask for ranitidine instead of gaviscon if he does need anything as its better or bf as doesn't need to be mixed with water/milk to get it down.
Dr also said can give us lactulose if still poo in a couple of days but hoping we can sort it before then. He suggested mixing some water with some milk in a bottle but he didn't say how much or anything. I just want to make him feel better

sounds horrid honey, it's so awful seeing them suffering sad. hope rantidin is some improvement

Clarella Mon 07-Jan-13 16:36:02

wl I think the caboo is very easy, (and in mainstream shops) but depends what u want it for - we've a boba 3g for dh which is great for out n about but it's too hard on my scar at mo. g goes in that with snow suit on! we got that as itll go till quite old and like a back pack for hiking etc. has attachment for bag on shoulder and foot holds fir toddler feet. I wanted to learn to wrap but ds has other ideas currently! a soft mei tai like the connector can be nice indoors (caboo a cheats wrap but like connector but front hold only, connector does do back when they're older) you could see if there's a sling meet near by or try posting on 'natural mama's' - lots of sling mad women there to advise! I'm going to see if I can hire something for a bit for this one. want to look into ring slings as may be what this wee onewants.

Clarella Mon 07-Jan-13 16:37:02

humorous hugs honey and also prune. reflux so tough x

utopian99 Mon 07-Jan-13 16:51:46

peony I had a day between Christmas break and dh paternity leave starting and it went surprisingly fast! Mostly doing admin chores, tax return, registration appointments, filing a late planning application revision in between Oz's naps, and then watching tv during feeds..
Once he goes back again on the 17th I'm planning to spend sleeping breaks developing my own practice (out of necessity due to 'disagreement' with previous employer after I got pregnant,) doing exercise dvds and hopefully joining some local baby/mummy groups. Our NCT lot are having a reunion on the 20th so hoping there might be some activities in there too. Can you tell I don't like sitting still either?!

fandango, if it's not rude, where are you? We're in south manc., and I noticed you mentioned the Trafford Centre, which is why i ask..

wlmum to PM on phone you need to go to the inbox (at the top of each page uunder the mn logo.) that then has an option to create a new message.

Sorry to hear of bunged up babies.. Had a very sleepless night last night but major feeding and of course Oz's now fast asleep and I don't feel at all sleepy! Mw came today though, and he's almost 9lb from a birth weight of 8lb 7oz. grin

Utopian I'm in Wigan so it's only about 30 mins away. I'm hoping Trafford will be okay as the kids are back in school tomorrow.

minipie Mon 07-Jan-13 17:18:18

Just marking place on the new thread as I can hear DD waking up...

MaMaPo Mon 07-Jan-13 17:47:56

Hallo to all.

Peony, excellent question - I have no idea what my day will end up looking like. Next Monday will be the first day of 'normality' - husband at work all day and the inlaws gone back to Aus. I imagine I will fill my day with baby wrangling, some baby/NCT mother groups, things like that. When I have a good awake day, probably off to museums or something. Frequent walks in the park - hopefully daily. I'm quite looking forward to getting at least myself into a routine, and then seeing whether Little C will join in. I feel like I have no idea if she has a natural routine or not brewing, as we are so chaotic every day we'd not notice.

Enjoyed my last day off with my husband - out for lunch with baby in sling (we have the ErgoBaby, and he wore it for the first part of the outing and then I wore it, as we did a bit of shopping and he wanted to try clothes on). It's worth fiddling a lot with the fit, as the first time I wore it I was devastated at the waste of money (hurt my shoulders and back terribly) but today it was fine for a good couple of hours.

Little C went 5 hours between feeds today! Now, if only we could get that at nighttime, not daytime...

Honey - sending little Dash good pooing vibes - being bunged up is such a horrible sensation, I hope it resolves soon.

Clarella, I'm a month post-CS and definitely have the bump above the scar. The rest of my tummy is surprisingly flat (and i have gone below my pre-pregnancy weight, go figure). I am assuming it'll take a while to go down, and once I have my 6 week checkup I'm hoping to start some postnatal pilates.

ISpyPlumPie Mon 07-Jan-13 18:31:28

Willyou - I'm in Wigan too! Hope you have a nice time at the Trafford Centre. Don't know if they still do it, but on Tuesdays the cinema there had a show that you could take babies to. It was a grown-up film (but nothing scary/inappropriate) with the volume a bit quieter than normal (though any baby-related noise was fine!) Might not be what you've got planned for tomorrow, but could be something to do another day.

CODwidow Mon 07-Jan-13 18:45:10

Well first 'normal day' went well, did the school run, managed some housework then fed Keira popped to my mums for coffee and then back home to sort the ds's wardrobe. Another quick feed and back to the school. I find it hard not having anything to do so always plan my next week the week before giving myself 3 'social' days and 2 with nothing on.

I'm hoping to find some groups to join as all my friends have older children or live miles away.

We have a ring sling and I find it really comfy and baby loves it, guaranteed silence!smile

utopian Wow, you're very productive! Today's been the first day I've spent entirely at home (not even a small walk around the block) and I feel quite cabin feverish. My cousin came round earlier and DP has been at home most of the day too so it's not like I've been alone. It's just that DD wants to be held most of the time at home so I feel like I can't do much (apart from surf the net with one free hand), which will drive me crazy in the long run. At least when we're out she normally sleeps in her pram so I can concentrate on other things, which is why I'm so keen to get out every day.

mama No sign of a routine here either - I'm gonna try to follow clarella's advice and at least get myself showered before DP leaves for work. Hopefully everything else will fall into place naturally with time. I'm also hoping to start postnatal pilates soon but not sure when I'll get a chance to do it!

Clarella Mon 07-Jan-13 19:35:19

previous post was supposed to say humungous not humorous ....

Bellaboo123 Mon 07-Jan-13 19:36:30

Cod we do the same as you 3 social and 2 stay at home keeps my sanity!

Took Aurelia for her weigh in - shes now 7lb 13oz up from birth weight of 5lb 14oz

Popped I to work today - already asking me when I'm coming back hmm

Honey - hope things get moving for Dash

I'm having a wobble with the breastfeeding someone give me a kick up the bum! I'm really tired and wish he's just leave me alone for five minutes blushsad

clarella I liked humorous hugs!

spotty you're doing so so well with the bfing. Can your DP give him a bottle of expressed so you can have some time to yourself? I did giving D a bottle of expressed makes him go longer than just boob as he takes more at a time that way. Could you sort a bottle then have a bath and some sleep for a few hours?

Have about 120ml expressed dp prefers to do middle of night feed?! I'm just about to get into bed but I can hear ds shouting its been forty minutes since I last fed him. Got another early start tomorrow too for his hearing screening (9:30 40 minute drive)...it just seems to be getting harder rather than easier! Sorry for moaning blush

CODwidow Mon 07-Jan-13 19:52:52

spotty just wanted to say it does get easier and I know it doesn't feel it right now but just all of a sudden it eases and the feeds are quicker and less frequent. Your doing so well already maybe just take it a feed at a time at the mo.

I'd forgotten how lonely it can become with a newborn iyswim?

CODwidow Mon 07-Jan-13 20:08:57

But saying that I am also wobbling slighty as Keira's oral thrush hasn't cleared and although my right side feels better, my left nipple is agony and it has now moved into my breast. Doctors tomorrow and hoping to get it sorted.

WLmum Mon 07-Jan-13 20:24:14

spotty I felt like that a couple of days ago after what felt like a whole day and night of constant feeding. I feel much better after a good night last night (hope I haven't just jinxed it). One of the things that keeps me at it is that even if all else fails, the boob always comforts and calms - what if the bottle is finished?

Re the sling, I mainly want it for wearing around the house, particularly during evening fussiness that helpfully coincides with older dds bedtimes. Can I bf in a moby?

Clarella Mon 07-Jan-13 20:25:48

spotty you are doing well - would it be end of the world to try a bit of formula if it saves sanity and sleep?

oh dear cod - when I thought I had start of thrush I felt really down - hope you get sorted at docs and its less painful soon.

fab weight gain bella!

even though bits were hard I've enjoyed first day totally by self - though shower first thing def helped!! make sure includes teeth before lunch tomorrow!

Thanks everyone. Ds doesn't like formula hmm I think it is just being tired that makes it so much harder!

Clarella Mon 07-Jan-13 20:34:17

wl there might be videos online on bf in moby - think you can in caboo (anyone confirm?)

try posting here http://www.naturalmamas.co.uk/forum/index.php

sorry can't get brackets in right place

Yes caboo you can not tried it yet though

Afrodizzywonders Mon 07-Jan-13 20:42:43

Spotty - I know exactly how you feel. But honestly, this will pass quickly and the feeding will settle, the first 6 weeks I found are the hardest (I bf my DS for 2 years and didn't set out to at all coming from a family who feel very awkward about it). Most people don't get through the first 6 weeks as its a flaming baptism of sore nipples and total demand on you but believe me, it gets soooooooooo much easier, no need to sterilise bottles and it was a bloody God send for placating baby quickly. I never got on with expressing at all, and DS totally rejected taking a bottle, but did eventually take a cup which gave me my freedom back a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now