Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2012 babies - over here nobbers!

(1000 Posts)
Smorgs Wed 02-Jan-13 19:36:21

This really will be the thread where all our babies start sleeping through the night... right?!

BoraBora Thu 17-Jan-13 20:11:12

I don't think I could bare to put her in the bedroom alone - we live in a flat so not worth us paying for a monitor for next door, but without it I would be checking her every two minutes still wakes up in the night to check she's breathing

She's about to out grow her Moses basket which we put her in for part of the evening in the lounge. I don't know what to do! In fact I might ask on wider MN...

squidkid Thu 17-Jan-13 20:16:46

Bora sounds like a similar situation to us, we are in a flat so I didn't feel the need for a baby monitor, but (remembering my baby is a month older than yours) she has begun sleeping longer and from earlier in the evening, so it would be good to have a monitor so we could watch a film etc without worrying about not hearing her. We also always used to put her to sleep in the room with us in basket, but a few weeks ago tried doing it in our bedroom instead and that's working well for us. She is filling basket now though so am on the lookout for a cot! I may be getting one off a friend.

Originally I was all for co-sleeping and did it for the first month but she started sleeping so well so we ended up doing it like this. Ironic really as most people's experience is the opposite! (Adamant they will sleep baby in cot but baby will only co-sleep!)

if she's reliably going down in the room with you in a basket would you consider putting the basket in your bedroom instead? We do check on her throughout the evening - not every 2 minutes, but probably every 20!

Oren, if it works and you're all happy, I wouldn't worry.

AP is attachment parenting I think Bora

Beccus Thu 17-Jan-13 20:55:37

argh! so much posting! can't keep up! well done bora, on your bjorn sling feed - i managed too & was so proud of myself. i leave straps loose so face at nipple height and pull down clothes and guide boob to baby. i have a big jumper over baby so have to lift that up 1st. i only feel letdown, when pumping. love the saliva gland description, whoever came up with that. hope things r going better with feeding, london - it does feel like rejection when they behave like that. Even though cognitively we know it isn't it still feels shit. mum arrived yesterday and met amelie for the 1st time- she is loving it and behaving herself! orienshii, really liked ur 'lecture' - it made a lot of sense. i am really into walking with the pram everywhere - cant deal with tube stairs and cant be arsed waiting around for a bus not full up with prams. caved and bought some jeans online from new look.as mat jeans too big but so far off wearing my jeans. hope they r not too awful. sorry to everyone i've missed.

smile4me Fri 18-Jan-13 03:28:38

orenishii DD is currently in our room at bedtime... our house isn't huge (and it's all on 1 level) so we hear most things pretty quickly! Although now feeling guilty for not having mother bear instincts to check on her more frequently grin as I probably only go in very hour! Will soon be in her own room as cot doesn't fit in ours, but leaving it as long as possible. We've got about 3cm headroom left!

Beeblebear Fri 18-Jan-13 05:08:44

Pops in and waves...

Can only barely keep up with facebook these days. been into my e books. Hats off to anyone with more than one! .... Ok hats off to youa all!

Stupid nobber me knocked a cup of m&m's over on my way to put sleeping baby in crib. Had to hirrily plunk ds on thefloor and clean up before dogs ate them. Cue screaming baby. Ugh!

Oh and ds was desperately nwwding a bath. Bathws him and dh got him out of the tub and dressed. Later find he ued theslobber and puke encrusted burp cloth to dry him off. So much for being clean.

Dashes out again, just wanted you to know we r still around.

hufflepuffle Fri 18-Jan-13 05:44:45

So this is a new one.....
Ignore complaining baby because in your dream you have already lifted baby and he is feeding. No weird dream sequence, just sitting in bed feeding. By time actually wake up baby rally pissed off!!

Oh dear. At least his needs are simple and 5 mins feed convinced him to forgive me.....

hufflepuffle Fri 18-Jan-13 05:46:02

Hello Beeble and sweet smelling lovely clean baby!

crazypaving Fri 18-Jan-13 06:10:25

argh babypaving awake at 3am for an hour, not wanting to feed, just awake!!! wtf???

hufflepuffle Fri 18-Jan-13 06:13:46

Baby paving is on holidays and wants to make the most of it evidently

WantAnOrange Fri 18-Jan-13 07:39:07

Oh dear crazy DD wakes up for a chat sometimes, with big beautiful smiles. DH thinks its cute hmm.

Squid I got a highchair yesturday. DD screams everytime I sit down to eat so theory was that if she could sit at the table with us she might be happy enough for me to eat in peace. I got one from Ikea, £17 (with delivery!) and it's great.

hufflepuffle Fri 18-Jan-13 08:13:17

Hmm. That's a few mentions of high chairs. I'm thinking DS would love being high and upright. But thinking he still too floppy??

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 18-Jan-13 08:22:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hufflepuffle Fri 18-Jan-13 09:14:15

Ooof. I have to do telephone interviews today for first stage. DS is Definately alternating good night and day with bad night and day. Last night not good so think I'm in for it today!! How unprofessional would it sound to do telephone interviews with baby crying????! Well at least I don't have to get properly dressed and look like the boss. That can wait til next week!!

Happy Friday ladies, tis nearly the weekend and reinforcements will arrive! X

Orenishii Fri 18-Jan-13 09:21:09

Thanks for the responses about place of sleeping! Bora chopsticks is right, attachment parenting - I don't think it's massively popular on MN as a term per se, but it's basically about keeping your child close and attached to you most of the time in the very early months/years working on the theory you build a level of trust that they know you're always there...and so become independent in their own time and their own terms. It's not for everyone, it's hard work but it's instinctively what I feel I must do and it makes sense to me and DH - mainly I think because we read the Continuum Concept and DH likes the idea of having a tribe wink I also think it's pretty much what most people do without a thought, but learning about it helped us make decisions and reminds us of DS's needs when the times are tough and he's screaming and won't stop.

High chairs - we got given a Stokke Tripp Trapp and I know I should be excited because you can adjust to all sorts of heights/configurations and how it will see us through to ten years old etc etc, but I am mostly excited about stripping it and painting it a nice new colour. Maybe pale mint green.

crazypaving Fri 18-Jan-13 09:26:08

can't recommend stokke tripp trapp highly enough. we bought a different one initially but it was useless. we got ours second hand off eBay and it's fab. close second is the Ikea antilop which costs a kingly fifteen quid.

all of course just my humble opinion grin

OhMyNoReally Fri 18-Jan-13 09:28:46

Just popping in.
My ds born on hallows eve has been waking at 4:44am every morning for a 15 min feed, he goes down between 9 and 10pm. But 4:44am it's like has an internal alarm. And so annoying as my other three are up at 6:30, so I can't wait for sleeping through.

Orenishii Fri 18-Jan-13 09:48:13

Ohmy that's really annoying! My DS is only a few days older than yours and went through a phase like this - hopefully it will pass for you soon!

BoraBora Fri 18-Jan-13 10:13:01

Oren is it related to/ based on Attachement Theory (as a psychologist I probably should know this blush).

Orenishii Fri 18-Jan-13 10:21:46

Bora yes that's exactly it. You teach your child that they will always have sensitive responsiveness to their needs - even if you don't know what that need is exactly - and from that they have a secure base from which to explore life smile

Orenishii Fri 18-Jan-13 10:26:13

It's very hard work though because sometimes I just want my own space - it's been very hard on some days. But...I dunno...I just really strongly instinctively feel this is best for us. Both DH and I were rejected/abandoned by our parents at certain points in our lives and while things are OK with our parents now, that has had a bad effect on us as adults. We're both working really hard in our family life - and our careers - to develop an approach that is full of play, and going back to that tribal-esque approach rather than this more modern approach of distancing ourselves.

FjordMor Fri 18-Jan-13 11:17:48

huffle we have a 'newborn set' with our Stokke Tripp Trapp (hand me down from her grandfather) which has allowed DD to be high up without 'sitting up'. She'll be too big for it soon though and there does seem to be an in-between period when they outgrow that and before they're ready to fully sit up. I bought the Bumbo for this and it seems to 'train' her to hold her head up better but she doesn't have that 'height'.

Posting quickly so MN doesn't drag my post into the ether. Will try & get caught up with you all xx

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 18-Jan-13 11:29:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wow Orenishii, it's really great that you've both thought it through so much. Your DS is a lucky boy. smile understandable that you find it hard sometimes, but it'll be worth it in the end.
We're just bumbling along...hmm

Fjord, I'm thinking to put the Bumbo on the table. Is that a bad idea?
But definitely going to get one of these Antilop things I've heard so much about.

That's so sweet First!

I've packed DS's stuff for our one night in a hotel - so many bags! blush How am I going to manage when I go to the UK for 3 weeks?!

OctoberOctober Fri 18-Jan-13 13:10:33

Been playing in the snow with DS1, so lovely grinHope everyone else is enjoying it too.

Also been looking at getting a bumbo off eBay ( not a bimbo as predictive text reckons!). Didn't use one with ds1 but reckon the less wriggly, chunkier ds2 might like it. From what I've heard, they have a very limited useful period so not going to splash out on a brand new one.

This thread is not accepting new messages.