Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 08 Mums - Happy New Thread, You Beauties!

(992 Posts)
beans37 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:04:52

Come join me....

McKayz Sun 10-Mar-13 21:10:38

She's dating a Dutchman. Apparently she hates it there. Her DP is a lawyer in the government so can't move. She cleans a house now and then.

beans37 Mon 11-Mar-13 14:18:41

She needs to meet Vag, Kayz!

Had a v nice Mother's Day. Told the inlaws, who were delighted. Phew! We have three weddings this summer, so have just bought this dress What do you think? I think it's rather lovely. I also need some 3/4 length jeans, but am not really willing to spend more than £20. Any ideas on where I can get some fatty maternity ones that are nice and cheap???

Brrrr. It's brass monkeys here. Hasn't got above 0 yet. BUT off to Oman tomorrow for 11 days! Yeehah! Cannot wait. It's 30 degrees there. A bit different! Sorry to be annoying about it, but do feel like it's well overdue. We're all packed and ready to go now. Heaven! Think I might take DDs to go and buy a new swimming cozzie at Sainsburys this afternoon as a little treat!

beans37 Mon 11-Mar-13 14:18:52

PS What does brass monkeys actually mean?

Vagolajahooli Mon 11-Mar-13 14:32:48

Its from the saying 'It's so cold it would freeze the balls off a brass monkey'. My mum lives in a town in Queensland that gets surprisingly cold in winter. Every year, July is brass monkey month & the local shops have sales & special events to 'celebrate'.

Vagolajahooli Mon 11-Mar-13 14:37:54

Kayz I can understand how your friend finds it hard here the Dutch are very different to the English & the expats can be a bit annoying sometimes too. She must be really into this guy to leave her family to come here. If she wants any more cleaning work or even day time & evening babysitting work I can give her details out to people, though she probably doesn't need to work with him in that job. If she is young she would probably find my mates & I a bit boring to hang out with. How old is she?

McKayz Mon 11-Mar-13 14:41:27

She's about my age I think or a little younger. She makes cushions and knits stuff that she sells to stay busy. I think she's quite lonely but he wants to move over here soon so she's holding on to that.

Vagolajahooli Mon 11-Mar-13 18:23:35

She should go over to Amsterdam sometimes it's fun & loads more English people. There's a really nice English cafe called greenwoods on Singel canal.

beans37 Tue 12-Mar-13 08:48:49

Byeeeeee! Am at airport ready for off.
Lots of love to all x

beans37 Tue 12-Mar-13 08:49:31

I hate flying. What am I doing? ? X

McKayz Tue 12-Mar-13 10:28:38

Have a wonderful holiday Beans. X

Vagolajahooli Tue 12-Mar-13 13:25:50

Have fun beans, flying is fun, just keep hydrated!

McKayz Tue 12-Mar-13 19:15:41

How's the weather with you Vag? DH is flying via Amsterdam Thursday morning.

Vagolajahooli Wed 13-Mar-13 09:12:19

It's pretty chilly though we have sun. The snow we had overnight is almost melted. Does he stop long at Schipol? Tell him to get you some stroopwafels they are delicious & you can get them in a nice dutch style tin. I love schipol aeroport.

McKayz Wed 13-Mar-13 10:29:26

He has 4 hours in Schipol. I will tell him to buy some stroopwafels.

Hello everyone <sheepish>. Sorry been away for so long, have been spending too long on Twitter and Fbook. It's ok, I've got me hair shirt on and it hurts like hell, you'll be pleased to know. wink.
Small news here is that we've (kind of) got B's sleep in hand - in that he'll go to sleep on his own now and only wakes 1x per night at most. Sleep training a def success! They're both still waking at 5.30, but it's good to be able to get big chunks of sleep in before then. Do I feel better on it? Course not - I'm just drinking more wine of an evening and going to bed later. I know, I'm past help.
I want a stroopwafel. Does it come with chocolate sauce?
Happy holidays, BEans!

ZuleikaJambiere Wed 13-Mar-13 19:21:50

Hi everyone, I've composed a big catch up post about 3 times now, and each time the thread has moved on before I posted it. But all I really need to say is hurrah to Beans for a successful scan, have you told the girls yet? And hurrah to Spot on the sleep. Great news all round smile

Vagolajahooli Wed 13-Mar-13 20:03:25

Goods news on the sleep Spot, what's a hair shirt? My boys like stroopwafels smothered in nutella (not something they get too often as their teeth would fall out) this is a stroopwafel explanation. They look simple but are delicious esp the fresh made version from the street vendors in town.

Hi ZJ how goes it?

How are you kayz? Do you think we can?

McKayz Wed 13-Mar-13 20:12:24

I am terrified Vag. I don't know, we looked good and got that early goal but now we aren't doing to good.

Does anyone have any tips on getting medicine into a baby? DD always refuses it from a spoon or syringe. She needs lactulose(sp) and so far she is spitting it out.

Will she take a bottle, Kayz? I still have to put Calpol, ibuprofen etc, in a little bit of milk in a bottle for B as it's the only way he'll take it.

A hair shirt was traditionally worn by religious folks as a way of demonstrating atonement, Vag. The idea is that it's really uncomfortable so you are constantly aware of your badness and guilt.

McKayz Wed 13-Mar-13 21:31:18

She won't take a bottle but has recently been taking a little milk or water from a cup. So will try that. Thanks Spot

ZuleikaJambiere Wed 13-Mar-13 22:13:59

Could you stir it into her favourite food Kayz?

It all goes well thanks Vaj, how about with you? I'm just enjoying a mug of whittards tiramisu hot chocolate, which reminds me of you (it is you who's a fellow fan, isn't it?)

Poor DD2 is teething and had her 13 month jabs this week - high Calpol consumption levels in this house!

Vagolajahooli Thu 14-Mar-13 08:08:52

Omg ZJ I just started salivating. Why on earth did I not buy some when I was in London last month. I'm off to amazon then.

I see Spot, interesting, I feel I have learnt something today.

Kayz, gutted. Also, Lactulose is a tricky one because it is thick. Is she constipated? There is a hold technique you can use but she may still spit it out. Try the milk in a cup or as ZJ said try in some food. Does she eat yoghurt?

Indith Thu 14-Mar-13 08:29:53

Lactulose is foul, I don't blame her for spitting i out! TBH the only reliable way I've found of getting any medicine down them when they are too young to be bribed with chocolate is the pin them down and slowly trickle it into the back of their mouth giving plenty of time to swallow the trickles as they scream their little heads off. Not nice but does the job.

I assume she is constipated? Worth of course trying to work out why, is it a particular food? Or has she just recently upped the amount of solids and is taking a while to adjust? Breast milk is great for moving things along so you could try upping feeds a bit in the day for a while. Also make sure she is offered a beaker of water at all meals and have it around at other times so she can get used to being able to have a drink whenever she wants one.

McKayz Thu 14-Mar-13 10:23:12

She's been struggling for about a month now, I have tried every natural method to get things moving but nothing has worked and she utterly refuses to have prunes or orange juice. She won't have more feeds during the day. I keep trying to get her to feed but if she isn't hungry she won't feed.

She is in lots of pain when she does go so I need to get the lactulose into her. DH is home later so he can have a go.

sybilfaulty Thu 14-Mar-13 10:51:54

Kayz, I used to use those pots of pure fruit puree when my lot had constipation. It's very sweet (the apple and pear one best) and really gets things going. None of mine would take Lactulose either. Poor you. When is DH back? And is it for 3 months again or a bit more?

AM trying to work here but keep getting distracted. Must get off MN and back to my marking ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now