Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 08 Mums - Happy New Thread, You Beauties!

(992 Posts)
beans37 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:04:52

Come join me....

beans37 Wed 20-Feb-13 16:51:05

PS Have any of you literary-types read All Passion Spent my Vita Sackville-West? I am doing it for one of my two book clubs and I haven't even bought a copy of it. Am going to do some reading up on it and about the author and try and blag my way through it. I wasn't my choice and am a bit dubious about reading it as seems rather too much like hard work for my addled brain at the moment...

Lady, have you read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry? It's rather wonderful. Read it soon after Dad died and found it inspiring. And sad, but lovely.

ShadyLadyT Wed 20-Feb-13 23:05:24

Typing this in bed on my phone. Jeez, it's cold out there tonight! And I had to go out for my Italian class. Brrrrr. Supposed to be going on a 6 mile walk tomorrow morn.

Beans, I really enjoyed your posts above as they were nice and gossipy. Always the best kind. I haven't read that book & it doesn't hold an enormous appeal for me either. Who is picking these frickin' tomes?? Our first book is The Great Gatsby grin Short, elegant, pleasurable to discuss...Maybe I am just lazy. What a lot of guests/visitors you've had/are having! I want to know who your actress pal is now...Go on, give us an obscure clue. I'm glad you are feeling less sickly. As to the weight, you seem to lose it quickly so I'm sure it will be ok.

Speaking of which - had a small epiphany today. I eat very stingy meals (usually) - eg a couple of Quorn mini-sausages for breakfast, tomato soup for lunch (no bread). Fine. But I spend the day having a pinch of this, a slice of that, a taste of this and a quick bite of that. And nicking the girls' mini cheddars etc. Plus I take my coffee very milky and the amount of coffee I drink is nuts so I must be drinking gallons of the stuff. So, the question is not "why am I so podgy?" It's "why on earth am I not enormous?" Sigh. I need to have a long, hard think about my eating habits.

Being in bed with the electric blanket on when it's cold out is SUCH bliss.

Interesting that the jury were discharged in the Vicky Pryce case. How amazing that the retrial is on Mon - if DP has a jury discharged it takes MONTHS to come back in. Ha. Priorities I guess.

There's a lady in my Italian class, a friend actually, who is 2 wks from her due date. Her bump has gone from being a bump to looking like a baby is lying down behind a thin layer of skin grin so maybe it won't be long.

Brrr. Off to clean my teeth.

ShadyLadyT Wed 20-Feb-13 23:16:06

Back again. I was thinking this would be an early night but I guess it's not that early.

I deplore the way I cut a sliver of parmesan, eat it, then keep going back to shave a bit more off so what I actually eat by the time I have finished, is a chunk grin Oh well. If I could solve that one, I'd be a trillionaire. 'The Willpower Pill'.

Lights out I think...

Indith Thu 21-Feb-13 08:25:28

I'm guilty of that one Lady, the grabbing of a bit of something each time you walk through the kitchen. <<Prods belly>> I know a few people use one of those apps to record what they eat so they can keep track of their diet. I'm not a fan of calorie counting etc but i guess if you record stuff then you think twice about eating it.

McKayz Thu 21-Feb-13 08:40:39

DS2 has another ear infection. I had him and DD in my bed last night and I'm knackered and ache all over. Roll on March.

beans37 Thu 21-Feb-13 10:42:47

Lady, you'd never have heard of her, unless you used to watch Holby City or Brookie. And bit parts in various other things. And she was in an episode of Extras, which was actually v funny.

I too am a grazer; just nibbling at little bits all day long. And it does pile up, doesn't it? Fairly depressing.

Artigene Thu 21-Feb-13 15:48:31

Hello

Rushing on inbetween half term activities. It's been great. But I'm knackered. We've done the zoo, Hampton Court Palace, Hayward Gallery, the London Eye, tour round Parliament, St Paul's Cathedral, swimming & loads and loads of craft. DD1 has gymnastics in an hour and its right in bloody Westfield which will be crammed. I feel like hybrinating! On the bright side I've enjoyed being at home with the fam all week which bodes well for maternity leave.

Lady - I am so pleased that your DP made such an effort with valentines day. Good on him! Sorry not to have texted you re staying at ours if we were away this week, we missed the cheap deals i had spotted as I'm such a procrastinator so we decided to stay at home. Oh, and I may occassionally post on an antenatal thread but nowhere near as often as I did with you guys, it's just not the same.

Beans - 10 weeks already, wow! Re test results, as you move towards your later 30s your combined test risk factor will look more scary. If you want reassurance without a full on amnio I highly, highly recommend the new Harmony Test offered by the Fetal Medicine Centre. If you book it with a nuchal scan there it's only £180. It saved my sanity when my NHS result was bad.

Kayz - sorry to hear about the ear infection. I hope you get a better sleep tonight.

Indith - how has your DS2 slept this week? Better I hope.

Re books: our book club is doing the Severed Head by Iris Murdoch which I am enjoying. It makes me want to read more Iris Murdoch actually, I've only read The Bell before and I liked that too.

DH and I appalled ourselves this morning during a chat about soon-to-be DS. I've always believed I'd react no differently to having a son than a daughter and I'm pretty determined not to treat our boy differently. Over brunch today we were joking around about what sports our DS might play a d I was pushing cricket and DH rugby and then we were joking about needing to concentrate on a more international sport so he could get a scholarship to an American Ivy League and become an international athlete and renound scholar who could keep us in the style we would like
to be accustomed. It was all v tongue in cheek and we knew we were being idiots but I was also appalled because it was such an old fashioned view of "our boy the athlete" "our boy the high earner". Even though we were joking we've never joked like that about the girls. I hope I'm not going to shock myself by my reaction to having a boy.

ShadyLadyT Thu 21-Feb-13 22:14:36

Arti, I really wouldn't be too hard on yourselves. You were only joking. To be honest I reckon it's partly the novelty of the different sex. If you'd already got two boys and were expecting a girl you may have joked in a similar way. Sorry you aren't having a hol but your half term break sounds really really lovely. Oh, and I have only read a couple of Iris Murdochs, one a later one I found turgid and one a fairly ancient one which I found really charming, called The Unicorn.

Speaking of books, Beans, I meant to say I hadn't read that Pilgramage of Harold Fry one. Actually I have picked it up in the bookshop and wondered about it, so if you say it's a goody I will give it a whirl at some point soon.

As to the snacking, I am more concerned about the milk. I reckon I drink close to a litre a day of semi in my coffee and decaff shock That's 500 cals right there. Bad.

Oh, and Vag, thanks for the kind words about my travel pieces. All these 40th year ones are forming a book. I have some faint interest but I am not holding out much hope. Still going to write it though smile

Did my 6 mile walk this morn but the wind was so bitter. Then I got called into pre-school because a staff member had to go home and I am the emergency cover grin It's mayhem over there. But I love doing things with all the kids. I get a real kick out of it. I really must start facing up to the fact that I love children grin I don't know why I am in denial.

How is DS2 Kayz? Hope you have a better night.

McKayz Fri 22-Feb-13 08:45:07

DS2 is fine thanks Lady. He slept all night too so I didn't have to have him in my bed.

I thought of you the other day in the doctors as there was a little Octavia. I've never heard of another one. Her sister was Aurora. Gorgeous name.

DD seems to ba having a growth spurt. She fed loads last night, wanted more breakfast and is popping out of her 6-9 month sleepsuits.

I really should do more reading. I have a kindle that I never use.

Artigene Fri 22-Feb-13 09:08:03

Glad DS2 is better Kayz.

Lady - do you need to worry so much about the snacking? How much more weight have you got to loose? And are you still carb free? Because if you are carb free then the milk is not too much of a sin. I have put on 1 stone 13 lbs now with this pregnancy (with another 12 weeks (and probably at least 12lbs) to go) so I am trying to stop snacking, or restrict myself to dried fruit with the theory that will, ahem, go straight through me. On the bright side because I lost 16lbs last year I am actually only 11 lbs heavier than this time last year which sort of makes me feel a little better (when I am looking for excuses!).

McKayz Fri 22-Feb-13 10:45:34

I'm still 5 stone overweight sad I really need more willpower. I lost 10lb in January so I know I can do it but its keeping it up.

I think I need a full length mirror then if I have to look at myself everyday I'd lose it. I look awful.

Indith Fri 22-Feb-13 13:26:40

Urgh, ds2 really does get colds badly. Still not started night weaning/handing over to dh because the throaty, coldy thing exploded and he is still coughing loads, screaming loads etc. Seems to be tailing off now, most coughing is at night and first thing.

Arti you were just joking about the boy thing and I agree that had you had 2 boys and been expecting a girl you'd have done similar. You'd probably be joking about having a girl to shop with or something. It is pretty normal and doesn't mean you will be any different bringing him up. You'll see, when he us born he will just be a baby like your girls were and he will probably spend most of his formative years being dressed up by his sisters grin.

I'm guilty as sin over things like that "boys are easier, boys need more exercise blah blah blah" when of course the truth is that dd is harder work than ds1 but it has sod all to do with her being a girl.

Kayz you still have a small baby and you are on your own a lot which makes it hard to have a regular exercise regime so go easy on yourself. You know you can lose the weight. Have you tried joining one of the support threads on here to keep you motivated?

Beans how time flies! 10 weeks! Everything crossed for the scan. Don't feel bad about talking of aborting if anything is wrong. That is what scans are for and many of us would do the same.

Dh off work yesterday and today but he has gone into the Newcastle office this afternoon as ds2 chewed his thingy that gives him a secure code to log onto work stuff from home and it stopped working so he needs to go in to replace it before next week. Doh! PLus he needs to call people as he is still between roles and going mad. The one based in Leeds was all up in the air and they were supposed ot make a decision Wed but nothing came through and lots of things still needed to be decided before he would accept then he got a message from someone else saying that she had had the request to start his transfer even though no formal offer had been made to him hmm. But unless a few things are set in stone and guranteed (which he doubts they will be) he doesn't want the role. Argh! And I really don't want him to take it as you all know.

Got to go into university next week for the dbs (crb) check. Getting really close now!

McKayz Fri 22-Feb-13 13:39:18

Indith, I did join a lose weight thread but it seemed to be full of size 8, 8 stone women moaning they needed to lose 7lb. So I left that. I suppose I need a 'I am a fatso' thread rather than a generic(sp) lose weight one.

Indith Fri 22-Feb-13 13:44:50

What about www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1682962-MOTIVATION-through-the-power-of-non-scales-victories? Non scales victories sounds more about how you feel than about teh numbers on the scales.

McKayz Fri 22-Feb-13 13:54:24

I dunno Indith. They are celebrating someone being 10st 10 and someone else being a size 6. Exactly the things that made me stop using the other thread.

I'll go have a look at some others.

Artigene Fri 22-Feb-13 14:41:42

Kayz - controversially it was scales that motivated me last year. And motivated me to keep the weight off. I weigh myself every morning as soon as I step out of the shower and I immediatly see the effect if last night's takeaway etc. On the bright side I also immediatly see the effect of a day if really careful eating. It's the only way that works for me. I need those scales.

You can properly loose weight even after having kept it on for a while. My ideal weight (at 5'11'') is 10 stone. That's my comfortable size 10 weight. I was always 10 stone until i broke my leg and my mum died. Then for two years I was 12.5 stone so a good 2.5 stone over my ideal, then I got preggers and piled on 5 stone (yes, at 9 months I was indeed over 17 stone). Then I lost it all through diet and exercise. I got down to 9 stone 10lbs which is tiny for me. It can be done!

McKayz Fri 22-Feb-13 15:01:03

I'd like to be between 10 and 11 stone. I'm 5'8" so I think 10 is about ideal. I want to be a size 12, 10 at a push. There is a pair of size 10 jeans in my draw and they are depressing.

McKayz Fri 22-Feb-13 15:12:03

Just checked and its 5 stone 12lb I need to lose.

I track how far I walk and it was 28 miles last week. So I think I am ok exercise wise but need to eat a lot less.

Indith Sat 23-Feb-13 14:22:12

Oh the snot.

How to explain my eating chocolate during the day to dd. She gets a chocolate button or something at bath time if she has no accidents (her usual combination of head in the clouds plus using it as a behavioural power tool). Mummy never has any accidents so mummy gets to eat chocolate grin. dd is now going round saying that when she is grown up she can eat chocolate all day.

Artichook Sat 23-Feb-13 15:50:37

Urgh, I am so ill. Terrible cough which is making me wheeze and hurts my throat and shakes my poor sore pregnant pelvis which is killing me. Oh, and my pelvic floor aint coping well with the cough at all, but I am too ill to go to the shop and too embarrassed to ask DH to buy me pads.

And DD1 has a sleepover friend arriving in 10 mins and I know that no sleep will be had.

Moan, moan, moan. Another moan is that for three weeks DD1 and I worked on a school project she has to hand in on Monday. Ten A4 pages of lovely illustrated prose and this morning I went to laminate it and it was gone. After an hour of frantic searching (while coughing, and hurting and weeing) I found it in the bin under a wet tea bag. Its now drying on the radiator looking like shite and DD1 has been in tears.

Happy days.

Indith Sat 23-Feb-13 16:21:16

oh arti your poor dd1sad and poor you, feel better soon. several inches if snow, lots of snowmen built.

JamInMyWellies Sat 23-Feb-13 18:35:22

Boy am I glad that snow waited until today to fall Indith. Thanks for the offer of tea and cake yesterday. DS2 had a weird temp and for the last couple of days kept telling me his brain hurts. Appears to be better now.

Arti poor you and DD.

Am most peed off with DH I came back last night at 9.30 (he is at work until Mon eve) to find the cleaner cancelled again. I swear she has been 3 times since Christmas time to get a new one again I think. Anyway DH obvs thought its ok cleaner will be in and has clearly done nothing all wk. Loads of his washing inc smelly gym kit and he didnt even get us some milk out of the freezer so we could have cereal and hot drinks this am. I am trying to be generous as he has been working lots but am fed up of cleaning up after him all the time.

Anyways lovely time had in Scotland but I am knackered sharing a bed with the monsters for a wk has meant I have not slept so well. How come they are so small yet take up so much room? Ver long drive home yesterday but v glad to be home.

Took the boys to see James and the Giant Peach this afternoon. If it comes to any of the theatres near you I really recommend going to see it. Personally I think it could easily be a West End show. Just super!

Anyway best get on with the bath bed shenanigins.

beans37 Sat 23-Feb-13 22:50:22

Oh Arti. Devastating. Your poor lamb. Hope the drying works. Who was the binning culprit???

Got DH's lovely first cousin and fiancée staying at mo. she joyously told us she's due on 15th September with their PFB. We actually managed not to say anything about our date two days later! Only because we haven't told our parents yet, so want them to be first in family to know (apart from my sister who I've told, but DH doesn't know that!!). Is quite hard, but I'd forgotten how wrapped up one is in your first pregnancy so they didn't notice I'm not drinking (much). Honestly, it's so lovely to see. We both nearly slipped up about 4 times each! Our scan is on the same day too. So weird.

Jam, I'm so keen to see James and the Giant Peach. Where did you see it?

I can see your rage with DH.

Gosh, terrible wind here. Not outside the bedroom. Under the duvet. DH playing Xbox with cousin, so can fart with impunity. Bliss.

Sleep tight all xxx

Indith Sun 24-Feb-13 14:36:36

Jam, MEN! Honestly! I'd be running myself a bath and telling him exactly what state I expected to find the house once I had emerged grin. We should have cake next time you go up though, you do the trip fairly often don't you?

That goes for the rest of you too, I know us northern lot are all out of the way and too far for those london meet ups of yours but the Indith household is not far off the A1 and available for toilet stops, cake and a run around. We once stopped off like that at the house of one of my Dec 06 friends on the way to Wales, it was lovely smile.

FIL has left that goodness. Honestly I'm not that bad,I can cope with a few days of in laws but only when it is the same ones for a few days, since Thursday I have seen MIL and her DH, BIL and his DW and then FIL today. TOO MANY IN LAWS! FIL has been going on about his lady friend and her children. She is a manipulative cow. She must be. I've never met her but she must be. She doesn't want him to do this that and the other yet she isn't actually his girlfriend. Won't be in a relationship but expects him to be at her beck and call hmm. Latest is she won't go on holiday with him. He has booked a place for Easter holidays, 4 bedroom, on a farm, play area for children on site but he said "she wanted me to get somewhere much more expensive so she won't come. She might visit for a day." FFS! I just want to beat him about the head until he sees the light and gets rid of the woman.

Oh and he wanted to babysit for us. DH was taking him to a barn dance at the boat club for his birthday but when FIL arrived he suggested we went and he baby sat. Which is lovely, obviously. But he is deaf and won't wear both his hearing aids and doesn't turn the one he does wear on most of the time. When ds2 woke up from his nap we were in the dining room with the monitor on. I went to get him and FIL says "How did you know he had woken up?" Erm sorry FIL but I'm not letting someone baby sit who can't hear the children! Also had to explain why it was ok for us to take ds2 to the village hall on a night where he can crawl around, we are home early but not take him out to a crowded, noisy barn dance. <<sigh>>.

beans37 Mon 25-Feb-13 17:49:28

Does anyone else feel the onset of boredom with the end of half term? Just back into that routine of taking them to and from school and the laundry and cleaning back in place again? I just sometimes feel so underwhelmed by it all. This is my life. For now, anyway.

Actually, on reflection, I think I should enjoy it while I can, before the chaos starts in September. But sometimes I just feel so very very BORED!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now