Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 08 Mums - Happy New Thread, You Beauties!

(992 Posts)
beans37 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:04:52

Come join me....

Artigene Sat 26-Jan-13 17:28:17

Hi All

Just had a great belated birthday party for N. it went v well with no tears etc despite 10 four year olds. May have totally humiliated myself though: one mum stayed as her DD was scared, I didn't know her but she was very lovely and helpful. She offered to operate the iPod fit musical bumps and I hesitated as our iPod is embarrassingly full of crap, neither DH or I have an ounce of musical taste. Anyway, she valiantly shuffled through Abba, Kylie, Madonna and Tom Jones and did a good job. Later we had a moment to chat and I asked her what she did and she said she was a radio presenter. To cut a long story short I asked her a few questions about it and when she said she had her own show I vaguely smiled and said "that's nice". At end of party other mums came to collect and two got in a right flutter and started nudging me and when said mum left they squealed "How do you know her???". Turns outs she's v cool famous DJ.
Oops.

Hope you are all having good weekends and appearing cooler than me.

Indith Sat 26-Jan-13 17:31:54

grin Must be nice for her to have someone not squeal and get all star struck.

Some of you don't half know some famous people though. We are not so glam up here.

JamInMyWellies Sat 26-Jan-13 18:06:05

Right well clearly Arti we need at least initails!!! Glad you had a fab time. At DS2's bday they had theor own requested music taste so we had to listen to gagnam style and we will rock you and the monster mash.

Another weekend halfway over without DH so over it now as are the boys.

Artigene Sun 27-Jan-13 07:28:51

You are amazing coping so well without your DH for so long Jam. When does the project finish?

DJ hasn't got initials. She's known by her first name only. It's unusual and starts with N. She was on Radio 1 for years and now Radio 6 Music.

Indith Sun 27-Jan-13 08:02:55

Have looked it up, I wouldn't have had a clue either, never heard of her!

Ds2 has a cracking cold and a cracking egg on the head. Dh left him unattended on ds1's bed hmm

Sooooo tired.

Vagolajahooli Sun 27-Jan-13 08:13:59

I can't work out who this DJ is from the radio 6 program but I did discover that Jarvis Cocker has his own show at 4pm eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh (that's a squeal)

Indith Sun 27-Jan-13 08:18:16

I just went onto 6 music and listed shows alphabetically, there was a woman with a single name starting with N at the top of the N list. I assume it is her.

Artigene Sun 27-Jan-13 08:27:26

Take the name of the fish in the children's film about a fish that gets lost. Add the letters -ne to the end of that name. I'd vaguely heard her name but that's it, she's not a household name at all. It's not like I had Zoe Ball perusing my iPod!

JamInMyWellies Sun 27-Jan-13 09:18:24

I know who she is. Vag there is loads of great DJs on six music. Cerys Matthews has a good show and the Craig Charles funk and soul show on a sat night is excellent.

Honsandrevels Sun 27-Jan-13 12:00:23

Oops! Her voice is quite recognisable (on the radio) but I haven't clue what she looks like.

Artigene Sun 27-Jan-13 20:39:56

Where is everyone at the mo? Its quiet on here.

Hons - I meant to say that I was sorry to hear that your kidneys are scarred and BP still high. Does it make you feel below par or are you symptom free? Did you have placental doppler scans with DD2 and did they suggest high pressure early on? Mine aren't great this time but my doc seems relaxed, my friend was is a peadiatrician told me today that she reckons I will need to deliver around 30ish weeks. That was quite a shock but I'm not sure what to think.

Beans - how is the sickness?

My new BFF texted tonight to invite me to a club night. Ha, ha, clearly the extent of my uncoolness did not come across in all its glory! DH reckons we should go, sober bump and all. We will see.

Vagolajahooli Sun 27-Jan-13 20:47:24

Clearly you are actually super cool Arti, & a club night. I read up on her on Wiki, very interesting lady.

Honsandrevels Sun 27-Jan-13 21:12:09

Arti Nothing was ever suspected pre eclampsia wise till 28 weeks when suddenly protein/high bp.

Gosh that is a worry re early delivery. Have you asked your consultant about it? They would monitor you really carefully I expect and then only deliver if they were absolutely certain it was necessary. You'd get a steroid injection to help mature your baby's lungs.

I read up a bit about premature birth as it was on the cards from 28 weeks. Bliss have lots of info. Hopefully all will be well and you'll go closer to/or to term.

TheInvisibleHand Sun 27-Jan-13 23:48:12

Hello all,

I keep meaning to come here and post properly, but keep failing. Mostly been thrown because I have spent most of the time since October with hacking coughs of one kind or another that I can't shake off, very boring, though finally under control with some inhalers.

Turned 40 about a week ago - bothered me much more than I thought it would. I guess its that feeling ageing and squeezed thing - caught between my kids and my parents and feeling creaky and ageing. SLT, I have to say, I totally admired your finding the spark to do something with that - you do need a way to feel alive somehow.

Work stuff has been a bit bonkers - all hours kind of stuff. Its good and bad -its kind of fun to be deep in something, but at the same time, everything else begins to suffer. I wish there was a happy medium!

DCs are great and surprisingly tolerant about it all.

We did have a fab trip to a family wedding over Christmas - DCs were great, stars of the show - both loving the dancing. Bit of sunshine as well, which makes everything better.

Sorry, a bit of a random me post. Hope to come back soon and post properly.

TheInvisibleHand Sun 27-Jan-13 23:49:26

Arti - in the spirit of my 40s angst - go to that club night!

sybilfaulty Mon 28-Jan-13 18:55:13

Hello everyone! Just adding myself in. So busy here I can't keep up. Hope everyone is well and hope to be able to catch up soon. Love to you all .

beans37 Tue 29-Jan-13 11:40:05

Hi guys

You're all very quiet at the moment. Invisible, lovely to see you.

All well here. Got a full day without girls today, so am catching up on housework and trying to get holiday sorted. Still. And eat a lot of biscuits. Yum. Life is a great excitement! DDs on corking form and am loving having them at the moment. We are laughing a lot together. Makes me a bit nervous about the arrival of numero 3. If it comes to anything. Still only 7 weeks. Ridiculous. Feels like it's been months already!!!! But at least I can still lie on my front without sore boobs. Hurrah. Small mercies, eh?

Right, what else can I eat?

Laters all!

McKayz Tue 29-Jan-13 13:36:19

Hello Invisible, lovely to 'see' you.

Beans, how is the morning sickness?

Sorry I am being AWOL, seem to be on the go all the time. I've given up getting DD to sleep in her cot. I'm going to try again at half term so that it doesn't matter about getting up and going to school.

Artigene Wed 30-Jan-13 10:18:01

Hellooooo

Where is everyone?

Just back from growth scan and placental artery check. No indications of preeclampsia were found, baby growing well, BP perfect, no protein. All good!

DD2 having digestive problems again. Lots of tummy pain and bad pops. She's been gluten free for a year now and I think we were starting to be a bit lax as she's been so well, sadly it looks like even tiny amounts of gluten really make her suffer. So sad.

Invis - so nice to hear from you and catch up with your news. Belated happy 40th to you.

Please come back and share your news people.

Vagolajahooli Wed 30-Jan-13 11:02:10

Arti that's brilliant news on the scan woohoo well done you.

Sorry about the gluten. We are lucky enough to have an amazing bakery here which makes mostly spelt bread, has a lot less gluten. Two friends who have gluten issues & my DH eat their bread with no problems. Could you get a bread machine & order a load of spelt flour & make your own bread. Also rice or bean thread noodles are a good alternative to pasta

Nolda Wed 30-Jan-13 14:32:35

Arti, glad the scan showed everything to be fine. Hope it continues that way.

I did laugh at your party story. She would have been horrified not only by our taste in music but also lack of up to date technology. I loved the piggy cake photo on Facebook.

Belated Happy 40th to Invis.

Vag - Have you managed to rid yourself of the headlice? I have a total horror of them and haven't had a haircut in I don't know how long because I couldn't bear going to the hairdresser and having them discover them.

Beans - Glad to hear you're enjoying your DDs smile.

News here: we are now back on the phone (hurrah!) and have broadband (double hurrah!!) but still no tv (boo). Mumsnet on my phone has been pretty much my only connection with the outside world and it has been weird not having a clue what's going on.

DD is still finding her new school tough but is no longer crying about having to go.

We still haven't got the old place on the market. DH and FIL are entertaining the idea of offering to buy the upstairs flat and restoring the building to one four story house. I'm not thrilled and have said that DH is not to do any of the work if they go ahead.

Better go - nearly time to fetch DS.

Hello, I have to say I am a little relieved I haven't missed toooo much, but great news on the positive scan, Arti, although sorry to hear DD2 still having abdominal pain. I guess at least you've identified the culprit though, and although it'll be a real pain to manage, you know what it is, iyswim. Unidentified digestive pain is such a minefield.

Nolda, that sounds a bit complicated about the doing up of the house. Is the idea that you'd get more money for it reconverted? I guess you have to factor in the hassle element of it. How are you finding the new place? Sorry to hear DD not into the new school sad.

B now got sinusitis (ffs) so sleep up the swanny again. And DP is really ill and had to go to his job interview yesterday drugged up to the eyeballs. He didn't get it and it's really got him down - I think he'd invested a lot of time and hope in getting it. I'm getting more freelance work, but it's so far from paying the bills it's scary...Just need to get everyone healthy I suppose is first priority.

McKayz Wed 30-Jan-13 21:00:41

Arti, fantastic news about the scan!! So pleased for you!! Sorry DD2 is ill. Did you decide on a holiday destination?

Spot sorry B is ill. Sinusitis is the work of the devil. I thought I was getting it yesterday but it seems to have cleared. Sorry about the interview too. Hope something comes up soon.

Artigene Thu 31-Jan-13 08:35:28

Nolda - all this time without a tv! I would not have survived. What do you do after the kids are asleep??? I'm such a telly addict at the moment, I have Jo energy for anything else in the eve. Sorry to hear your DD is finding the school transition so hard, is she missing her old friends?

Spot - not another illness, poor B, and your poor DH not feeling good for his interview. Do you all take supplements? I'm just wracking my brains for how you can boost everyone's immune systems. Maybe you need to emigrate somewhere warmer!

How are the nits Veg?

Nolda Thu 31-Jan-13 11:54:37

Arti, I forgot to say that I'm sorry to hear about DD2's tummy problems. Is it something that is likely to improve with age (I know that this can happen with children who are dairy intolerant when they are small)? I couldn't live without bread and cake.

On the tv thing it's not too bad as we can still watch DVDs, of which we have lots, and also belong to Lovefilm.

DD is missing her old friends and is finding the move to a bigger school quite intimidating. There were 2 classes of 30 at her old school and there are 5 classes of 30 in her year at the new place. I know that sounds quite horrifying but it is a really lovely school, honest.

Spot - sorry to hear about more illness. I agree with Kayz, sinusitis is not to be sneezed at (sorry couldn't resist blush). And what a shame about your DH missing out on the job. It can't have helped that he was drugged to the eyeballs at the interview.

On the house project, yes, hopefully would make about £100k on it. FIL is quite experienced in this kind of thing (but it did sadly cost him his marriage to DH's mum) but I'd really just like to be shot of the place and move on grin.

Much chaos was experienced last night by having no mains water! There was a problem down the road with lots of Southern Water workmen standing around up to their knees in water, shaking their heads. They weren't able to give us any idea of how long it was going to take to fix but luckily all back to normal this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now