Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2013 - New year arrivals welcomed into the world.

(997 Posts)
PricklyPickleInAPearTree Mon 31-Dec-12 19:15:31

As a few of us have popped early I thought I'd start us a post-natal thread.

Meringue33 Tue 19-Feb-13 04:00:52

Wow cannot believe we are all still here and coping - somehow!

Lora I have so much admiration for you, amazing you have kept going thro all the pain you've had to deal with! Hope you're doing ok x

Marasme wish I had that problem. This LO poos after almost every feed, changing him is so boring and really annoying when he has fallen asleep at boob and I know changing is going to wake him up again.

Sleep dep a problem. The night feeds seem to all be marathon sessions now - two boobs and a change, 2 hours total, rather than just a quick 30 mins and put back down. Exhausted and fed up sad

Bunny222 Tue 19-Feb-13 04:43:39

meringue io hear you. Am still up since the last 2a feed, now he needs more...

DH had offered to do this feed (bottle) but once again it me doing it. Anyone else finding this...?

Bunny222 Tue 19-Feb-13 04:44:37

2a = 2am
Bloody phone!

Lostbobbles Tue 19-Feb-13 05:33:36

Hormonal, Mine has been a misery guts as well unless she's being held. She is still nocturnal and sleeping too much in the day but its only time she is happy so i have been her get on with it. Even hates the car which dd1 used to love. I think its wind, Infacol and gripe water seem to help a little.

Other great news, bloody nappy rash is back. Just got the other one cleared up with cortisone and now another patch has appeared. I think this one is thrush based as has white patches. I don't know if it is because she constantly shits or something else. (Nappies etc) I am going through 10-15 a day

DD1 has play date today and the mum is a dr so might try get her to look (although don't want be one of those annoying people that ask a million medical questions) wink

Bunny222 Tue 19-Feb-13 07:04:19

very grumpy rant brewing... Still up since 2am have done all feeds and nappies so as not to DH who disturb has a cold. Asked him to do a nappy change now so I could have a mini snooze before BF but no, he has to get up now and doesnt have time to change a nappy. Argh! Why do I bother being considerate??!! :-(

Pascha Tue 19-Feb-13 09:51:43

Just to make everyone feel really good - Dan has now slept well for two nights in a row (meaning waking around 3 times for feeds but resettling quickly). He is 6 weeks 3 days today and basically hasnt slept at night since birth. I hope this means he's matured enough to start sleeping longer now.

My worst weeks so far for sleep deprivation were between week 2 and 5.

DH does a dreamfeed last thing at night which is ebf around 3oz but if I couldn't express I would use formula too. There is no way on earth I would give up a clear stretch from about 7 til 2ish without feeding or having a child on me.

We are going for longer and sleeping better too. Wonder Week One is over I think. Last night I fed at 10 pm, 2 am and 5 am with no fuss at all. I even managed the 5 am one lying down so dozed through it. We get up at 6 am so it was virtually morning anyway. In the day we are now going between 3 and 5 hours. It has definatly got better. Dd3 also slept through the night for the last two nights for the first time - she's 27 months. I've no idea what prompted it! Happy days!

CreepyCrawly Tue 19-Feb-13 11:38:01

Had a good night last night too. After deciding I can't stay up until 3am for a fourth night, I woke Nancy at 9:30, fed her and she slept from 11:30pm until 4:30. Feeling refreshed today!

Think my blister may be sorted too. I held a boiling hot flannel on it last night, took a painkiller before feeding and it seems to have gone. Almost pain free that side now.

Getting proper smiles here too, lovely gummy grins :D

Nancy is dressed in something other than a babygrow for the first time today. Little jeans and a top and I'm already regretting g it! Baby clothes are a nightmare!

Pascha Tue 19-Feb-13 11:49:12

Proper clothes? Sod that! Grows or joggers and tshirt is the most i'm bothering with.

CreepyCrawly Tue 19-Feb-13 12:03:12

Her next nappy change, she's getting changed back into her pyjamas!

Pascha Tue 19-Feb-13 12:04:22

grin

Berniebennett Tue 19-Feb-13 12:10:34

We have had a few good night with ollie bobs sleeping from around 11pm - 4am and then a quick 20 min feed and straight back down! (Fingers crossed, he's 6 weeks also so maybe there is something in it pascha).

Am I a awful mother as he has been having tummy time on his play mat which he loves (he can lift his head and turn it left and right) but I have just looked over as all was quiet and he is flat out exhausted, dilemma -do I risk waking him by moving him or just pop a blanket over him and let him be??

We also have amazing (my first child) gummy smiles, everyone says these moments are special but they just make you melt every time!

Birdies Tue 19-Feb-13 12:11:34

Xanthe now goes either 3 or 4 hours for her first sleep. Then 2 or 3 after first night feed. Then on and off until mid-morning, settling fairly easily back to sleep each time. Would probably stay in bed sleeping and feeding all day if I let her! So she's probably also now waking just 3 times in the night for food which I think is fine really. She is nearly 8 weeks. The key I've found is having a long bit of wakey time before bed and not letting her sleep too long in the day.

Has anyone else had their baby's head measured? I'm now an expert on hydrocephalus and have scared myself to death. Wish hv hadn't measured her head now. Got her baby check with the doctor this afternoon so I will be asking about it then. So ironic I'm now worried about too large a head when it was about a small head during pregnancy. I have a massive head though so hoping its just inherited smile

Birdies Tue 19-Feb-13 12:12:48

Ps bernie leave him, as long as you're watching him he'll be fine! Good self-settling skills!

Birdies Tue 19-Feb-13 12:14:53

Pps Xanthe is fully dressed in snazzy jumper/tights/leggings combo....must make a good impression at the doctors this aft smile (and if I don't start dressing her up each day she'll grow out of all her outfits before she's worn them....)

Pascha Tue 19-Feb-13 12:55:06

She'll puke all over it before you get there wink

CreepyCrawly Tue 19-Feb-13 13:13:00

Aaaand she's back in a babygrow! I don't really have many outfits for her, she's so much smaller than we were expecting. Also, why is there such a difference in sizes in 0-3 stuff?! Some are straining at the seams on her and some are hanging off her!

Lostbobbles Tue 19-Feb-13 14:13:54

Ohh good lord, dd1 is currently bf baby Annabel!!!shockshockshock

Consensus on mumsnet - we are back on the growth spurt after a day off! All Cameron has done is sleep, feed, feed while sleeping, and if there is no nipple in her mouth, howl. I am holed up on the couch.

Ventured into town for an hour. She spent the 30 mins she was awake there scowling at me accusingly and sucking furiously on her dummy. I bought cake and a little cute outfit from marks for her that she doesn't need it is a lazy outfit though as its a glorified babygro that only needs tights under it. I cba with the faff of actual outfits yet, and babygrows are so bloody cute.

Mumsnet motto everyone - this too shall pass.

Meringue33 Tue 19-Feb-13 15:45:46

Lostbobbles we have this problem too. He poos after every dam feed. It's so frustrating as feeds to sleep then wakes up when I change. Getting a red and sore looking wee bum sad

Birdies Tue 19-Feb-13 16:14:53

Just been to doctors who wasn't remotely worried about head size. Though I've decided I've googled so much I probably understand more about it than he does. He also checked X's mouth and then I worried whether he'd washed his hands, I didn't see him wash them.

Sigh.

I think I need chocolate.

MamaMary Tue 19-Feb-13 18:09:04

Agree RE baby outfits. I brought all the newborn ones I'd been given back to M&S blush She will just never wear them. The 0-3 months ones may get worn once as Leah is still small and may still fit them when it's slightly warmer weather. She just wears a fleecy suit when we go out at the momnet.

Lora1982 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:45:21

Guys im in agony with this abcess crap. Ive only got four decent 30/500 cocodamol left so i cant use them up. I may have to beg for some when i go back to be brutally attacked again on thursday. Was so angry at dp earlier waking dex up and he wouldnt stop crying even though he wasnt due any dinz... So i shook up a couple of his beers he bought today :D

Meringue33 Tue 19-Feb-13 22:30:16

Sorry to hear that Lora

Bunty same here, LO has now broken all own records with ten hour feeding frenzy. I have just run out of milk. I know that's not supposed to be possible but there is none left to squeeze! Areoles collapsed in like an extinct volcano. What now???

meringue I think when they have a 'feeding frenzy' they are actually boosting your supply. so tomorrow morning you should wake up with rock hard boobs.

lora if he definitely just wants to suck but isn't hungry then you could try a dummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now