Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2013 - New year arrivals welcomed into the world.

(997 Posts)
PricklyPickleInAPearTree Mon 31-Dec-12 19:15:31

As a few of us have popped early I thought I'd start us a post-natal thread.

Pascha Mon 11-Feb-13 16:28:12

'Just now both girls were asleep for 2 hours'

envy

Birdies Mon 11-Feb-13 16:30:37

Yeah but I wasn't! Literally am awake most of the night now even when I don't need to be sad

birdies I'm pretty sure camomile tea is fine for bfing. I hope so as I drink it by the gallon.

Pascha Mon 11-Feb-13 16:55:48

sad

I was awake most of the night at the weekend. So was DS2. Last night was hourly wakings.

All that advice with first baby: Sleep when they sleep. Ha! Not bloody likely, even when you do get the chance your bodyclock is fucked up to the point that you just can't do it. I spent my emergency sleep catch up time on sunday morning wallowing in the bath. It was lovely but it doesn't compare to a couple of hours proper sleep.

Birdies Mon 11-Feb-13 17:01:06

And if I don't keep busy now I end up crying. I'm not a crier normally. Sleep deprivation is hideous. Thanks I will try camomile tea....

MamaMary Mon 11-Feb-13 18:10:37

Hello all. Haven't posted much because of lack of time and energy! Otherwise known as sleep deprivation. It's kind of nice to read the last few posts and know I'm not alone. Going to catch up on this thread properly later.

Leah is doing well at least smile

to all

MamaMary Mon 11-Feb-13 18:12:01

That was supposed to read:

<<Hugs to all>>

octanegirl Mon 11-Feb-13 20:11:12

It's reassuring to know we are all having the same problems!

I am trying to follow Gina Ford too - but I dont get out of bed till about 10 am so am in the "lite" camp - though I am strict about the timings from 2pm onwards - however LO doesn't read the book himself and therefore refuses to sleep in the day...which makes it very difficult for me to do ANYTHING other than feed him or carry him about. Or he cries.
Luckily he is sleeping at night - so far, anyway.

I've got boob trauma also. I feel very ill, achy, fevery and keep getting random stabbing pains in both breasts. I'm sure that can't be good but I will persevere wit the BFing.

In other news - DP and I did the deed at the weekend - 3 weeks post section. I was worried it would hurt, and it kind of did, but I'm glad we did it. I missed the intimacy.....

MarasmeAbsolu Mon 11-Feb-13 21:01:52

This Ewan is a star.
Feed at 6pm, bath at 6.20pm, massage at 6.30pm followed by pyjama time, cuddle and extra feed at 6.50pm, more cuddles, swaddle at 7.10pm - asleep with Ewan by 7.45pm, with just two mini grumble for the dummy which had fallen!

Last night we had a dream feed in the swaddle at 11.30pm - sadly, from 2am onward, the story was not quite a straightforward....

Octane - doing anything with DH would not even cross my mind. Even him touching my arm feels odd - it's so much systems go go go with the kids, the build and both our jobs that intimacy seems just, well, a bit too much smile so well done! (who said romance was dead in the Marasme household! I guess valentine will be celebrated with lukewarm lambrino at best!)

happyhow Mon 11-Feb-13 22:16:25

Well done Octane! I've been thinking about trying but will probs wait til I've seen the dr about going back on the pill - both hubby and I hate condoms...

Tinkle, glad someone has finally listened and seen the pain your daughter is suffering. Hope these new meds work.

Lora, hopefully the meds work for you too and you can get your boob back in action!

We're not trying any sort of routine with B. He seems to settle quite well on his own and sleeps/feeds pretty well during the night. I don't get so much done during the day though so might need to address that...

Hello all! I'd dropped off as it wasn't in my threads I'm on - looks like I missed a bit!

DD is finally gaining weight - last week 10.5oz shock. She's now 8lb5.5, so we're beyond birth weight. She's a lovely little thing, we've had proper smiles for a while, but now it feels like she's actually interacting.

She's going to need this fucking tongue tie re-divided as its grown back.

Today was day 2 of having DS and dd by myself. DS was ... challenging. But he hadn't pooed in 2 days which makes him a bugger.

It's been eventful here on that I've had a milk blister (ouch!), and dd seems to have a milk protein intolerance, so I am now dairy free. It's taken until Friday last week for me to work it out, and then my midwife came in and backed me up!

So, what's new? smile

tugs dd has a posterior tongue tie, and I have flat nips. I also have the latch assist but haven't really used it this time - word of caution DO NOT USE O N SORE NIPS! I asked DH to use it on me when I was fighting with DD's hands at a week or so old and I nearly hit the roof. Oh my god the agony.

I've been through the mill with tongue tie with both of mine - if you have any questions just ask.

ginny84 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:49:26

Hi all,

I dipped in and out of the antenatal thread every so often but never got round to posting.

My son Abel was born just over two weeks ago. Was induced and ended up with forceps, which resulted in a few bruises for Abel (which are now loads better) and lots of stitches and bruising for me (which is not healing all that well according to the midwife - I don't want to look). Anyone else have forceps?

I feel for the people struggling with sleep. My dp is back at work this week so I'm doing all the night times and know it won't be long before the zombie feeling hits. Thankfully Abel is quite good at settling after a greed though. Ewan is great, Abel seems to like him a lot and we use the same washing machine type noise each time, my dp likes it more though!

ginny84 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:50:48

*feed not greed (though the amount he has greed is not inappropriate!)

Tugstonia Tue 12-Feb-13 09:53:15

Thanks bunty, did having the TT snipped make a difference to your dc feeding? Have an appt tomorrow to have the procedure. Mw told me I'd have to feed dd every 3 hours for 5 days afterwards. I only have one boob in action now because of some pretty vicious nipple thrush so am just expressing from the worst side. Really hoping I can turn a corner soon & that having her TT sorted makes a difference, am so close to giving up. sad

Lostbobbles Tue 12-Feb-13 10:34:05

Welcome Ginny

Tugs, hope the procedure goes well tom and wish your boob better (thrush is horrid)

bloody bf is a nightmare, I am causing mega wind problems with my boobs, she has been screaming during and after feeding for last couple of days. My boobs are just evil, despite not expressing, scissor holding and pouring the let down into a towel they are just relentless.

She also cries when passing wind and bowel movements and constantly grunts anyone else's DC do this?

tugs it did make a massive, noticeable difference right away. Unfortunately hers has grown back - my dc seem to be prone to regrowth, so it'll need to be done again. Next time I'll be doing more vigorous stretching exercises. Or DH will, rather, I'm not doing as they look sore for them sad

And my milk blister is back! Feels like hot knives stabbing my nip when I feed sad

Birdies Tue 12-Feb-13 13:58:28

I can't imagine ever doing the deed again now we've got two lol!!

So I've discovered Bach rescue remedy which amazingly worked last night and I got a bit of sleep this time. Still zombiefied but there's hope - would recommend it in combination with the darling Ewan...

And talking of Ewan, is there meant to be a heartbeat in the background of all four sounds?

Birdies Tue 12-Feb-13 14:00:31

Ps welcome back bunty, I wondered where you'd got to! Sorry about the blister, sounds horrendous

Congrats and welcome to ginny

tugs hope it goes well tomorrow

welcome Ginny . I also ended up with forceps and an episiotomy sad . they thought I might need a caesarean so I had a spinal block,so at least I couldn't feel anything at the time,although I was sore afterwards.

Ewan arrived yesterday and dd had her best night so far last night smile she settled quickly after her 2am feed and slept solidly till 7.

Tugstonia Tue 12-Feb-13 16:09:14

Thanks all. Bunty that sounds v painful, hope blister goes soon. Birdies that's great you managed to get some sleep, even a couple of hours makes a difference. I've just googled Ewan and think I'm gonna get me one of those! Dd won't sleep anywhere but on me or dp at night.

Lora1982 Tue 12-Feb-13 17:30:08

My ewan has the heartbeat on two, i wondered if that was a fault

MarasmeAbsolu Tue 12-Feb-13 19:44:06

I think mine has a heartbeat on all 4 tracks - not sure though...

Had our 6 weeks check today - a bit of an anti-climax, as the health visitor did not turn up and GP only did basic checks on DD and weighed her (4.75kg from her 3.45kg birthweight!). She otherwise slept all day.

She went down very well tonight with Ewan, with not even one grumble so far 45 minutes in. I am scared for the second part of the night, as she was awake and driving me round the bend from 11pm til 2am, and only went down in bed with me holding her...

Lora1982 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:17:17

Bunty what you doing for the blister i found dropss of milk rubbed in, nipple shield and lansinoh got it sorted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now