Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

January 2013 - New year arrivals welcomed into the world.

(997 Posts)
PricklyPickleInAPearTree Mon 31-Dec-12 19:15:31

As a few of us have popped early I thought I'd start us a post-natal thread.

Birdies Fri 08-Feb-13 11:18:50

Well done bernie!

I have a special announcement.....Ewan has arrived!

theboutiquemummy Fri 08-Feb-13 11:48:01

Get you Bernie well done lovely I bet that feels like progress [smiles]

Ewan has arrived

Tried to get a bedtime routine established

Dimmed all lights lit bedroom with tealights and Angel monitor light
Bathed LO
Baby Massage
Swaddle
Upstairs feed (infocol)
Straight into Crib afterwards no eye contact still swaddled

We got 3 and 1/2 hours until DH snoring woke up LO but the best thing is he when he did wake up feed no eye contact straight back in crib and then off he went with a few grizzles

praying this will keep working on my knees with lack of sleep
Hoping Ewan will help

Birdies Fri 08-Feb-13 12:35:56

Well done boutique. I'm going to give up chocolate and see if that works. I'm seriously desperate for more sleep so it would be well worth it.

My main problem is the amount of wind she gets and sadly the Infacol didn't seem to work last night sad

theboutiquemummy Fri 08-Feb-13 13:01:01

Oh birdies I know that one well our LO refused to burp at all he's only just started doing with the help of some old fashioned gripe water n the colic seems to be easing up a bit but his nappies were hideous

Choc go bye byes hope that works wink

The worst thing about no sleep was falling asleep knackered dropping into a deep sleep n then waking up with LO every 20 mins or so it was awful ended up crying felt so shit

Birdies Fri 08-Feb-13 13:25:11

That's what it was like last night except more often even than 20 mins sad. I was too tired to even cry properly sad

What's gripe water? I've heard of it but is it something you can buy?

Lostbobbles Fri 08-Feb-13 13:53:10

Birdies, You get gripe water in any chemist or supermarket, it's usually on shelf with the infacol etc. it's suitable from 1 month onwards. Can use with infacol

happyhow Fri 08-Feb-13 16:32:00

Well I've got a super duper pukey baby today... Had curry for dinner last night and he obviously doesn't like it so guess that is off the menu for the foreseeable future. He barely kept down any of his last feed.

On the sleeping front, we tend to get 3-4hrs between feeds. Sometimes longer at night but I don't get up when I first hear him. Apparently if they sleep for 5hrs, that's considered that they've slept through the night!

newbie6 Fri 08-Feb-13 23:20:39

Hello everyone, not been on for ages and trying to catch up. Sorry to hear of those struggling with feeding and sleeping. My wee one seems to be really good so far. I'm trying to follow Gina Ford loosely! Is anyone else following her?

My wee one is 4 weeks old and tends to sleep for about 4 hrs and then wakes for his bottle. I struggle to keep him alert as much as GF suggests and find he sleeps less at night. I tend to put him down about 1030 and he usually wakes at 2am, he then feeds and wakes again between 4.30 and 5ish. GF seems to think they should sleep through to 3am if you put them down at 10pm and then after the 3am feed they should sleep till 7 but I have yet to find that and my wee one feeds well so not sure if I'm doing something wrong?

He definitely seems more alert now during the day than when he was 1 to 2 weeks old but still sleeps well so cannot complain. If anyone else is following GF let me know your routine and any tips!

Loving Ewan the sheep, I haven't bought him yet but hope he helps those that are struggling as there is nothing worse than sleep deprivation and crying babies. You are all doing so well!

Xxx

Bunny222 Sat 09-Feb-13 02:54:59

We encountered our first ever projectile vomit in Baby Gap! We were a bit thrown at first as it was everywhere, on him, his clothes, lovely new pram :-( would you believe they had nowhere I could put him, a table or a chair?! In a baby store! So I pushed aside one of their beautifully arranged displays and tried to sort him out. What else can you do?! at least we got the rabbit babygrow we wanted. DH was holding it at the time i'm astonished it avoided the spray... Got to laugh about these things I guess... And it teaches me how many spares I need in my change bag... ;-)

Ewan has arrived oh he is so soft and love his purple face. Will report back with sleeping progress...

salt1 Sat 09-Feb-13 07:09:24

Hello all, nice to catch up with you all and read your news.

I am starting to settle in back at home and am still processing some aspects of the birth and remembering bits i had forgotten.

Flossie is doing well though has a mamouth sleep afternoon to nighttime which means she is often awake during the night, which is fine for now but could get tricky when dh goes back to work. Does anyone have any tips on trying to keep a newborn more alert in the daytime . So far i have been changing her nappy regularly and doing top and tailing when she is in the deep sleep. Any advice would be fab x

Bunny222 Sat 09-Feb-13 09:14:33

Hi salt. We have a similar problem. We are now taking him out of sleepsuits/ outfits and having him in vest only which means hes a bit more awake for playtime. Hope that helps.

Berniebennett Sat 09-Feb-13 09:31:26

NEWBIE - we have been loosely following GF also, we are formula feeding so not sure if that makes a difference, but we found he slept 10am until about 3/3.30? Then straight back to sleep until 6.45 when my husband would wake him. Some reason though moving it so he has his last feed at 11 but more has not been working aswell?

Keeping him awake is getting easier (he'll be 5 weeks on Tuesday) he started lifting and turning his has at around 3 weeks so he likes tummy time so he get to do this on his play mat or he'll sit in his bouncy chair happily for a while (normally an hour at least after feed) and we tend to pick him up and give him a snuggle when he starts to yawn to end sleep time. But we have quite a typical placid baby boy! xx

salt1 Sat 09-Feb-13 09:41:25

bunny how old is your son

Birdies Sat 09-Feb-13 12:30:23

Congrats salt!!

boutique you inspired me to try the self settling and it worked! Ewan is also great as at least he drowns out the noise of me getting into bed. Batteries don't last long though.

Trouble is I'm so sleep deprived I couldn't easily sleep when I had the chance and spent alot of time lying there and stressing about not being able to sleep. Thankfully I had a bit if a lie in this morning whilst DH looked after X. She still wakes after every 2 hours for a feed and is 6 weeks old, I thought it got better by now?

Bunny222 Sat 09-Feb-13 14:00:37

Salt - DS is 11 days.

Pascha Sat 09-Feb-13 14:11:47

Dan woke and fed at 12.30am (fine), 3.15am (fine), 4.30am, 5.15am, 6am, hmm lost my sense of humour by that point.

I think half the problem is my boobs are just so full of milk by about 4am that he can't keep up with the flow, takes a snack amount, sucks in too much air because its all coming so fast, falls lightly asleep after burping and wakes again hungry half hour - 45 mins later. Not really sure how to combat this. Its not practical or particularly sensible to pump very much at night as this will increase supply which I really don't need.

I've started block nursing but there seems little impact yet.

MarasmeAbsolu Sat 09-Feb-13 14:14:00

boutique / birdie - i will try it too. sounds good! too good almost!
how ling do you wait after the feed to put LO down?
Do you burp them?
Does the swaddle stay on? ours loosens badly sad

arg! I need a bedtime routine! still waiting for Ewan, who is very much wanted here smile

DD1 is sick, which makes it tough too - I would usually take her in bed with us when she has a bad fever, but cannot with DD2 and her co-sleeping habit...

tinkletinklestar Sat 09-Feb-13 15:02:26

Oh god...

Seriously losing the plot over this end. Dd just wont ever be put down... she seems like she is in pain all the time been to a&e 3 times this week and we have a mix of medication to get going on but it feels like its getting worse and not better..the child is exhausted. .im exhausted

Wtf am I going to do next week with dh at work and dd2 on pre school half term...

lollipoppi Sat 09-Feb-13 15:46:16

Oh tinkle, I really feel for you, have they said what is causing her to be in pain?
I remember you saying about the silent reflux, have the meds not made any difference?
I'm sure you have tried it all, but a sling?? Does she stop crying when you have hold of her??

Do you have any family or friends close by that can help you out?

Birdies Sat 09-Feb-13 15:49:21

So sorry tinkle, I don't know what to suggest except to keep trying to get someone to check her out as it doesn't seem right for her to be in so much pain. Can you go back to the doctors today as an urgent apmt and say you won't be happy until you're referred to a pedeatrician? You may have already tried that though but if they had the right diagnosis I'm sure the pain would have eased up?

marasme I'm nervous it won't work again tonight but basically I did:

- woke her from nap 8.30pm
- fed her downstairs, then more upstairs
- lots of wakey looking around time
- got as much wind up as poss
- darkened bedroom and put on Ewan music!
- changed nappy and massaged legs and feet
- more feeds and winding
- swaddled in 'kiddopotomus' wrap with one arm free
- in bednest with Ewan rain noise
- watched and hoped!
- fell asleep at 10.30pm (so 2 hours after waking or being woken)
- mummy then lay awake unable to sleep sad

Birdies Sat 09-Feb-13 15:55:36

Ps tinkle you will get there eventually as this won't go on forever. At some point something will ease her pain and you will all start to feel better. It just sounds like they may have missed something and as soon as she gets the right medicine and treatment you should notice a difference. Has she actually been seen by a pedeatrician?

newbie6 Sat 09-Feb-13 17:56:10

Berniebennet, I'm formula feeding too and like you my wee boy seems very content which is great. Funnily enough, I have opted to feed a little later and try and feed him his night feed about 11pm but still find despite him feeding well he wakes between 2am and 3am, feeds well but tends to only last till about 5 or 6 so def not making it to the 7am as GF suggests, what does your so do, does he wake only once at night? I'm not complaining though as at least we are able o get some sleep

X

Lora1982 Sat 09-Feb-13 18:46:41

gloat face emoticon my beautiful lil child slept from half two til half 7. Im combination feeding because of my crap right boob (still got a massive lump despite going drs) i feed him as much from the left boob during the day with expressing too then formula during the night.

He has got a eash on his hip and i cant get to dr til monday so im just having to sudocreme it for now but he doeant seem bothered by it thank god.

Lora1982 Sat 09-Feb-13 18:47:24

Rash ffs

MarasmeAbsolu Sat 09-Feb-13 19:54:22

well done Lora smile
Tinkle could you get a mother's help when DH goes back to work? I am considering getting someone to help out with velcrobaby when I need to work during the day. Problem is I trust noone with DD2 but my mother (to some extent only!) who lives thousands of miles away.

NOW EWAN is HERE!!!!!!!

Newbie - this is our take of the day on GF:

last night - failed to settle DD in her cot - she coslept in her babygro, on top of our duvet, and slept happily from 1am til 5am. Good so far.
5am - DD2 wakes up and starts grunting for milk. She finds the breast, which starts spraying everywhere, soaking bedding etc. She gets upset, I get upset, everyone is soaked. Meanwhile, my breast shell, on the other breast, starts leaking due to gravity and totally drenches my bra, the bed etc. She eventually feeds and goes back to sleep with me holding her in crook of my arm.
8am - feeds again - I fail to get up (eh oh - it's only GFlite I am following wink)
she eventually goes back to sleep and so do I, til 10.30am
10.30am - we get up, potter around. DD2 always carried - will not be put down anywhere
12 noon. DD2 is tired but will not be put down
12.30 - settles eventually in fleece swaddle, being carried
3pm - DD2 finally wakes up and remains in a filthy mood all afternoon
5pm - finally falls aleep in the sling, with all other attempts having failed.
6pm - needs woken up, and is fed
6.30 - bath time - my oh my, this baby can scream in a rage
6.45 - massage - an other utter fail. You would think I am torturing her
7pm - head to dim lit bedroom, switch on forin TV (grin) and sit down for a feed. 7.30pm - swaddle, put hot bottle on top, put Ewan on, dummy in and leave

so far, so good.... only had to pop back now and then to pop dummy back in, but she is fairly chilled. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now