Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - losing sleep and losing weight

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 31-Dec-12 13:26:38
TheDetective Tue 01-Jan-13 20:21:36

That's excellent news PR. You've really been through the mill. I hope she is home for Friday!

Paracetomol suspension can be given from birth. We give it to newborns who display certain signs of distress from a traumatic birth - usually forcep or ventouse births. But it is prescribed and calculated based on weight. I'd ring OOH GP and go that way if you want to give it, they can give you the dosage.

Toomany We have that bath! Am going to get something better though as he loves the water, and it is uncomfortable holding on to him, so he only gets about 2 minutes! I'd prefer a proper soft chair type thing, but put it in a big baby bath rather than the main bath? Not sure! Just going to keep looking for something! I am looking forward to having him in the bath with me! I just don't like 'warm' baths though...! Hot hot hot please!

We have had a very sleepy baby today. Am worried he will be up all night! He has slept most of the evening now... I woke him at 5.30pm, as he was due a feed at 5, but had been asleep since his last one and I didn't want him to stay sleeping all day. So now he is due another soon, but he is still snoozing, and when he did wake, he didn't want to be awake and grizzled to be put back asleep - so now he is back asleep! He is otherwise fine, so who knows. confused It is like he has gone back to his brand new baby ways!

Oh, we also cracked the day time sleeps - it's the car seat hmm. He likes to nap in the bloody car seat, well, second to being on me anyway! He likes the cocoon feeling, and being rocked with my foot while I MN. Little monkey! Why do they never like what is best for them?!

Am wondering if Oscar will ever be a 4 hourly feeder? He is usually 3 hours, unless we are out and he is knocked out by the fresh air! You can set your clock by him. After his feed at some point between 10.30pm-midnight he will then go 4-5 hours, but then it is back to 3 hours on the dot usually! He has been doing that since about 3 weeks. Except today, clearly!

I would like him to do a bit of a longer stint at night, but I really can't complain, because he does go back down straight away, and sleeps for 12 hours. It is just I am just having a lot of trouble going back to sleep in between his feeds, and I'm not sure why. It is as if I can't relax when he is there? As soon as DP takes him downstairs, I can easily go straight to sleep. As a compromise, I've been kicking DP awake to do the middle of the night feed so I can get 6 hours, as I can fall back asleep when I've woke DP, where as once I've woke properly to feed, I can spend 2 hours trying to fall back to sleep. It is the same when I go to bed - struggling to fall asleep. So I do the early morning feeds, so I can feel more rested and be ready for the day ahead. Even Ewan isn't letting me drift off any more!

horseylady Tue 01-Jan-13 20:27:17

Detective welcome to my world lol!! You can quite literally set your clock by him!! Though he's 3.5 hourly now.

Of course after posting he's now wide awake, laughing and quite happy!! He doesn't need anything mummy would just like him to eat a bit more!! He will when he's hungry!!

horseylady Tue 01-Jan-13 20:30:01

Det - I also can't go back to sleep, but I think that's because I'm usually a person who once awake, is awake until bed time. I don't nap or anything just as soon as im up, I'm up!!

TheDetective Tue 01-Jan-13 20:31:23

The only thing that varies is the length of time at night - but then it ends up being that his feeds/sleep/wake times are different every day, because he goes back to 3 hours once he has done his 4-5 hour stint!

havingastress Tue 01-Jan-13 20:32:37

5s's have changed our life seriously!

Basically works on theory that babies have a fourth trimester and until they are 12 wks old they are essentially not ready to be in the wide world..so when they are crying (so long as not hungry/nappy needs changing) you swaddle them, hold them on their side and shush very very loudly im their ear. Makes them feel as though they are back in the womb.

Trust me. Amazing!!! You tube it!

TheDetective Tue 01-Jan-13 20:34:37

That's true, I'm not a good napper. And if I did manage a nap, it is for 4 hours blush no one could drag me up before the 4 hours were up! But I had got better at napping towards the end of pregnancy though, managing to fall asleep quicker, and nap for 1-2 hours! And I did manage falling asleep fine until probably the last 10 days I'd say. Not sure what has changed? Maybe I'm just not as tired? Even though I am sure I am!!!

TheDetective Tue 01-Jan-13 20:39:46

I can't admit to this because I sound like a smug bastard and you just know admitting it will make it all stop, but Oscar only cries for feeding/tired/explosive poo nappy/play with me.

Lucky bastard. He still takes all my time up though!!!

Sophiathesnowfairy Tue 01-Jan-13 20:53:17

I gave Olly half a 2.5ml end of the Calpol spoon when he was still gurny and cryey and he seems much chilled or maybe he is now spaced

DH has gone to bed, back to work tomorrow, I am waiting for the 10:00 feed, so dressing gown on, candle on, twinkly lights on, chocs, cup of tea and Bridget Jones. smile contentment.

Get my girlies back form their father tomorrow looking forward that too.

TheDetective Tue 01-Jan-13 21:01:57

I'm looking forward to this month for the first time ever, bloody hate January usually! as I have got lots of plans for me and Oscar! Is anyone else planning on going to any groups now the new year is here and our babies are becoming more sociable?!

I'm going to baby massage - booked it when I was 38 weeks! Starts end of Jan when he is 8 weeks. There are a few Sure Start groups I am going to - some are free, a couple are for a small cost. There is a water babies one, in a hydro pool by my house. A 'Twinkles Baby Multi Sensory' group, described as 'a relaxing session for babies with toys, music, projectors, bubbles and lights. Another group called Joxytales Baby Bubbles & Rhyme' described as songs, rhymes, parachute and bubbles!

There is a toy library once a week too, plus buggy fit, and then some 4-6 week courses, baby babble, weaning, and baby moves.

Going to space them out, so we have a day of relaxing, and a day with a session to attend. I would have loved this when I had DS1!

What do you think to taking DP sometimes? I want to make friends at the groups, so obviously having DP with me may put others off chatting to me. But I'd like him to experience this kind of stuff with Oscar, to help them bond, and for him to enjoy playing with him! He would be able to go quite often, as he isn't getting any overtime at work, so he is only doing 1.5 days in the week, plus Saturday. He will be going on his own (if he wants) when DS is 5 months anyway, as I'm back to work, and he is off for 3 months. Not sure what to do, would it be weird attending together?! I thought maybe if he came to one of the groups, plus the swimming, and then I did the others alone??

Evilwater Tue 01-Jan-13 21:03:39

Fingers crossed N is asleep. Please be asleep.

Sophiathesnowfairy Tue 01-Jan-13 21:16:53

detectiveyou will be super busy! Sure start centres can be great if you get a good one. I am going to start zumba at our local one, obviously I know that is just for me but I can take Olly. They also do sibling soft play on a Fri so I am going to take them both to that. I like the sound of twinkles I will have to see if they have something similar here.

Sophiathesnowfairy Tue 01-Jan-13 21:17:47

I too always try to make sure I have one day at home a week just me and baby. I have done that with all of them, no going out just a chill out day.

ChunkyTurkeywiththetrimmings Tue 01-Jan-13 21:35:17

I am so jealous of the decent things your sure start centres offer. We have loads of centres here but they're mainly clinic/singing/stay & play type sessions. Nothing like zumba. Think they do occassionally offer massage/sensory but will have DD in tow so not an option. Didn't find out about things like that for her until she was too old but did go to a couple of baby groups.

I too have a happy/chilled baby at the mo detective but he hates the car seat unless its moving - whether being carried or in the car. If its still he cries.

I can totally recommend this rocker for fussy babies. A got it for Christmas. It's excellent.

StuntNun Tue 01-Jan-13 21:43:30

What is a Sure Start centre? I take it they don't exist in Northern Ireland along with NHS Direct which sounds like it would be very useful to have here?

NervousReindeer Tue 01-Jan-13 21:46:45

Thanks for the idea stunt we tried that tonight but with no luck and we tried feeding her before she's starving but she didn't want that either, we asked the Hv and she basically said don't give her the boob option let her scream and when she's hungry enough shell take it because she hasn't got another choice but I couldn't do that

chunky my LO is the same, hates the car seat unless its moving

evil DD tried to eat her hands all the time but she constantly has mittens on because she takes chunks out of her face

petite FC for your DD coming home Friday. It's good she's had a walk today

Started bath and bed at 9 and before I had a chance to dry DD she shat everywhere covering her, my legs, towel and blanket then once cleaned again and dressed she decided to puke down herself. Lovely

We go to 2 different groups but because DPs been off work I haven't made as many but were booked onto the baby massage class and were going to go swimming too, I haven't looked at sustain centres but will google now. I like the idea of pram fit too

Ms now in bed but is v raspy, keeps coughing and struggling with bunged up nose. Might try prop up her Moses basket up at one end.
She seems to sleep ok on our chests the last couple of days but hoping I don't have to resort to that.

PR - sorry about your DD. hope she comes off it again soon

Is anyone planning on teaching baby to sign?? I always thought it would be great with my other two as I got so frustrated when they knew what they wanted but had no way of telling me - through work I did my level 1 BSL last year so will hopefully try to teach Dottie some basics.

GTbaby Tue 01-Jan-13 22:14:16

Hugs n prayers for poorly babies.

Nervous was thinking about this today. LO ALWAYs has mittens on. Every time I "try" with out mittens he scratches himself. Should I b giving him "mitten free" time? Is that a thing? Today I was cleaning his hands n noticed he keeps them clenched... I have no idea if this is normal!

On a different note used Ewan for the first time grin harp for bed time feed at 9 N then left it on heart beat. Seemed a little less wriggly smile n kinda calm. Saying that he is generally a good sleeper. Touch wood , cries when hungry or has dirty nappy and occasionally when overly tiered or wants cuddles.
Will have to see how Ewan does long term at getting LO to sleep in his crib at 7pm rather then 9.

blonderthanred Tue 01-Jan-13 22:18:03

Thinking of you and your family PR.

We thought we'd start a proper bedtime routine with the new year: so far he has screamed throughout the relaxing bath, cuddles and massage and has been feeding fussily since 9pm, while DH waits eagerly to read a bedtime story. I don't know about DS but I'm bloody exhausted.

Do we stick with it in the hope it will get easier or go for a more gradual approach? We were doing quite well with night times/sleep but I felt like we should start being more structured. Maybe I should forget it. What have others found?

GTbaby Tue 01-Jan-13 22:18:54

Glenda I would b interested in baby sign. Have no idea where to start though. Have always wanted to learn sign myself, one of those things i never got around to.

horseylady Tue 01-Jan-13 22:31:59

Blonder ds screamed through his first baths. He doesn't now he loves them and gets quite excited about it!! I don't think ditching after one bad experience is the way forward. We carried on and it works ok for us. Day time is a joke but bed time and morning fine!!

Were trying baby sensory and swimming after Xmas. Swimming I'm ESP looking forward to!!! Dh is not water confident and I really want it to be second nature to ds as it is to me (same with being around horses, just be confident even if he doesn't ride!). I've heard good things about the lessons so fingers crossed!! I'm doing a yoga class and taking him with me. I think it will be to sedate for me and make me laugh like preg yoga did, but I'm going with friends!! Then there's a couple of other groups so I'll be busy!!

Passmethecrisps Tue 01-Jan-13 22:33:13

blonder that description sounds much like our bedtime. We plough on with bath, 'relaxing' massage then low key feed and bed. All works fine actually apart from the fact that she cries herself hoarse when getting dried and massage. We don't yet do a story - we might move to that when she is 3 months.

Passmethecrisps Tue 01-Jan-13 22:34:41

P is another one who actually really likes her bath. She does know what is about to happen and seems to get excited but cor blimey does she hate getting out!

PetiteRaleuse Tue 01-Jan-13 22:36:11

We don't have any surestart or any kind of baby or toddler groups apart from Sunday swimming from 4 months. So v jealous of all your activity choices.

Passmethecrisps Tue 01-Jan-13 22:36:35

Oh, and DH is desperate to take P swimming. He loves it. I hate it

This thread is not accepting new messages.