Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Still brooking no argument whatsoever that these babies are happy, healthy and awesome for 2013 too.

(1000 Posts)
jaggythistle Wed 26-Dec-12 20:46:08

eh. attempt at new thread. yo.

PetWoman Thu 21-Feb-13 22:47:50

And he's doing a sort of high sad scream that I haven't heard since he was very small. And DH is ready to give up already.

Insert about a million sad and angry faces in this post.

PetWoman Fri 22-Feb-13 07:29:46

Ok, so he woke 3 times in total and was up at 6.20am, but he did sleep for 2 3-hour chunks of sleep which hasn't happened for months! But he only had about 8 hours sleep because of all the crying, so I guess he'll be tired today. I feel pretty good, though, and have forgiven DH because he took over at 11.30pm and managed the 2am wake-up without too much crying. I suspect he was holding DS for most of it, but he says DS fell asleep in the cot.

Now, naps. Continue with this method or feed to sleep?

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Fri 22-Feb-13 10:21:30

Feed until sleepy but not totally asleep? Then carry on with the new method? Good luck!

Will be back later when DH relinquishes the laptop so I can post properly!

BartletForTeamGB Fri 22-Feb-13 10:40:30

Just a quick hello. We are shattered this morning. DD hardly slept last night and just wanted milk and cuddles. Thankfully we went to bed quite early last night so we had a few hours of sleep before and she is feeding so well. Going to feed her now and then hopefully have a quick nap myself.

TheLittleFriend Sat 23-Feb-13 07:40:22

How was last night pet? Hope you saw a bit of progress

And did you get any more sleep Bartlet? Ds is definitely feeding more at night than he is during the day.

BartletForTeamGB Sat 23-Feb-13 09:51:26

DD did well last night. She was up every 90 minutes for milk but settled straightaway each time, so I managed to get some sleep in between each time and feel much more human this morning. How are you doing today, Little?

PetWoman Sat 23-Feb-13 11:27:37

Hello again.

Bartlet how long does a feed take with DD? DS used to take ages (though probably he was napping for some of the time I thought he was feeding) so 90 minute wakeups would have meant less than an hour's sleep in between. Hope your DD is feeding more effectively! Is your milk in now?

Too I wussed out of the nap by going on a dog-walk, but then he woke up, had a feed and fell asleep again on me and I decided to leave him to it cos he must have been knackered.

Good news: DH put DS to bed last night. He slept 8-6 with only 2 wake-ups, and DH settled him with cuddles both times in less than 10 mins! shock So it looks like night-weaning has been a success! Now we need to work on DS sleeping for a bit longer and ideally not waking at all. hmm And naps.

Jaggy that does sound like a bit of reverse cycling. You must be knackered. sad

Scarlet how is DD? Did your sister come or not? Really hope things are better today. I'm glad DH was able to stay off work to support you, and I hope you felt more able to cope the next day.

Bother, can't remember anything else, sorry!

jaggythistle Sat 23-Feb-13 14:51:58

A wee bit tired yeah!

However we may have some slight progress. I fed DS2 to sleep on the couch as DH wanted to watch a film and have wine DS2 let me put him to bed at 8 and slept for 2.5 hours! Was a bit pants the rest of the night, but I've put the travel cot in our room as an experiment so I can leave him to chat for a bit without waking poor DS2. Unfortunately he's going straight to crying right now so not been able tho test that.

BartletForTeamGB Sat 23-Feb-13 15:59:26

pet, well done with the night weaning. Enjoy your success before worrying about the next stage!

BabyBart feeds in about 15 minutes so it all took about 20 minutes each time. Hopefully it will stay like that.

Hope DS sleeps better tonight, jaggy.

loopy, you may have hit the jackpot, now I actually watch him more I wonder if he does have reflux... We've still got gaviscon but it was fairly hopeless when they were littler . Hmm.

Good work pet, glad you've had such an amazing improvement too.

Just me and you left waiting it out I think jaggy!!

PetWoman Sun 24-Feb-13 12:57:28

Oops Scarlet missed your last post. Glad DD is better. Really hope the rest of you don't get it.

Last night DS slept 7.30pm-5.45am hmm with 3 wakeups so not as good. DH settled him every time with cuddles and minimal crying (ironically without following any of my carefully-established routine) but I took over to feed and start the day at 5.45 so we're all tired! I'm amazed that DS has accepted night weaning and being settled by DH so quickly. Now I'm scared to go in to him at bedtime or in the night in case he cries for a feed. But really DH and I need to share the night wakings as he works with tough kids and can't do it if he's exhausted. How many days do you think it'll be before DS will no longer associate me with milk at night?

Dream sounds like reflux meds could be worth a try? Do you think B might be ready to night wean, even if S won't? Btw although my DS can crawl now he tends not to unless I encourage him, so he's still pretty sedentary for most of the day.

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend. It's freezing here!

Jaggy, sounds like you're getting there!

Pet, I night weaned my DD myself and it was fine. You just need to be resolved not to feed, so you can probably share night waking now you've broken the cycle of feeding. Well done, you've achieved a lot v quickly. Hope your return to work goes well.

I'm going to try to get DS into more of a routine with naps this week. he currently naps either on me or in the car/pram if we're out and I'd like to get him napping in his Moses so I cam get more done! We'll see how it goes...

pet, b isn't a problem at night, he's just started sleeping through 6:30pm -7am sometimes, or he just wakes once for a feed, then goes back down awake and goes to sleep. He's fine! I think he's gradually dropping his night feed as he's ready to and I'll not need to 'do' anything. Last night he fed once, but the One before he slept through. He's such a little poppet (unless he's ill of course) . Seb, actually, on consideration, vomits a lot for a nearly 11 month old baby. Dairy free hasn't really helped. He's maybe worse with the soya actually. And watching him he is refluxing a lot, day and night... Doctors maybe for him!
Glad your night weaning is going so well. Seb regularly gets up at 5:30, its grim. Hope you get through today ok.

Lunch of shame today. Went to see a friends new dc2, 9 days old. Got there, s had the runs, full new outfit, lunch, mine all shouted lots, more runs for s, new outfit, then he was sick, has to borrow a babygrow, then he was sick again half an hour later (after he trapped his fingers in their fireguard and cried). So, he does usually vomit if he gets distressed, but we just took a baby with ? D&V to visit a new baby. Eek. And both times he was properly sick on their carpet. And they all cried loads, so dh and I couldn't manage them all. Then I got cross with dh and we did some public bickering. blush blush .

Good luck with daytime naps generic! I've never managed it for s. B would, no use with the hardest one up though, so buggy it is!

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Sun 24-Feb-13 16:52:01

The guilt, the guilt... M refusing to nap all afternoon, just wanted to sit on me and grizzle. Eventually resorted to cc and she howled and howled and howled! Then when she was finally asleep I sneaked in to cover her up and she woke up and screamed some more. sad I feel like a shit mother.

Dream, what a horrible afternoon! <hugs> I think you need a medicinal glass of wine after that. Don't worry about the D&V - isn't it unlikely that such a little baby would catch it, especially if bfed? What can be done if S has reflux? The vomming does sound excessive.

Oh, M waking!

Loopyhasanotherbean Sun 24-Feb-13 21:48:23

Just a quick post, must find time one of these days to write a proper one, but Dream re gaviscon, our GP gave us that for ds1 in the beginning but it didn't help him at all. I ended up not using it as was a faff to express to mix it when no benefits at all for him. However the change in him when put onto the medications I mentioned before was almost instant. He went from throwing up all the time and whenever he cried or wanted attention, to say once a fortnight? And by last summer, he was only sick once a month for 3 months, (and these are sick from reflux not sick from usual child being sick scenarios) so we tried to reduce his dose but he was then sick something like 11 times in 3 weeks (have the dates written down somewhere as kept record for the consultant) so we increased his dose. We are now trying to reduce it down again, have gone from 3ml to 2.5 ml per dose with no extra sickness, so going to drop down to 2 ml next week.

I must say, having a ds2 without reflux is heaven and just makes us realise how wrong our GP was to fob us off initially and say that it's normal for babies to be sick. There was nothing normal about how easy he could empty his entire stomach. Even now, I am certain that our nearly 6 month old ds2 has a stronger flap than his 28 month old brother. Ds2 can scream, cough, choke, gag, and still not be sick at all as a result. He has had a horrific cough since the bronchiolitis but on the rare occasions where he has had a very bad coughing fit, the most he has done is cough up some slimy phlegm, he has never brought up any sick with it. Ds1 even now would be sick if he coughed half as much...

TheLittleFriend Mon 25-Feb-13 08:01:56

Dream, my dd had reflux that got worse after weaning. She wasn't given medication til about 7 months, but what a relief it was when she finally stopped puking.

Ds is still feeding well, but he is really struggling with his poos. I know lots of babies strain and make a fuss and he's definitely not constipated as he goes about 10 times a day. But he spends ages screaming and pushing, I feel so I able to help the poor little mite.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 25-Feb-13 09:56:29

Right, am finally at work and bored on the computer instead of the phone, so will have a bash at catching up properly!

First of all, Bartlet, welcome over and congratulations on the birth of little DD! It's been a longer journey for you than most, and I'm so glad you have little S.

Little, poor DS! I don't know what to suggest, but I hope he starts to find pooing easier soon. That's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

Loopy, that's v interesting re DS1 and the reflux. I had no idea reflux could carry on for as long as 28 months. It makes me angry how easily GPs fob people off! It's a shame you didn't have the baby without reflux first, and then you would have known it wasn't normal for a baby to be sick so often.

Doers reflux affect the other end as well? I ask because I was reading a (delightful) thread about IBS sufferers doing horrible acidy bottom-burning diarrhoea and it made me wonder whether Dream's S could have something similar, with his D&V at the weekend. Ie, that it wasn't a bug, it was all connected to his possible reflux/dairy intolerance/whatever it turns out to be.

Generic, good luck with the naps! Hope DS is slumbering peacefully in the Moses basket right now.

Pet, maybe wear high-necked PJs or something as a physical barrier to remind you and DS both that the boob is not on offer at night? How was last night? And how was yours, Jaggy?

Scarlet, hope the dreaded lurgy has passed now!

Stacks, how is your new nephew doing? Did you ever decide what to do re your dad's house cleaning?

Musical, hope you're well and Iz is getting on great with her standing!

<waves at Pomme, Raah, Rubber, Purple, Scream and any other lurkers>

Well, AF got me yesterday after nearly a year witch-free. In some ways this is good - I told DH and he said hooray, we can ttc again whenever we like! I am v v paranoid, though, and have taken the belt and braces approach to protection with super tampon and maternity pad, just in case. Luckily I feel fine so far. I was a bit worried because some of you have reported AF from hell when it first returned. Still, I was very lucky to get this far without it - M will be 1 a week on Saturday, can you believe it?

M has three teeth now - two at the top and one just poking through at the bottom. She was terribly crotchety yesterday and then woke up at 9 after being asleep for a couple of hours and wailed, so we gave her Calpol. She has a horrible night-time cough and coughed awake at 4.45am, so I fed her to send her back off to sleep. I had to get up at 5.30 for work, so spent the intervening half hour dozing and listening to every squeak on the baby monitor. <props up eyelids with sparkly matchsticks>

jaggythistle Mon 25-Feb-13 11:03:34

My first AF was v light too, actually waiting on 2nd one now come to think of it. I have actually installed the FF app on my new phone, just to try and work out when to expect AF, definitely no ttc!

Last night ok. I fed DS2 to sleep and made DH sit with I him on his knee till I got tidied up and ready for work. I have asked him if we maybe do that once or twice a week and I'll have an early night till he wakes up! If DH is sitting up anyway it seems like a plan.

DS2 is a still a bit unsettled in the evenings. and at night and in the mornings

He actually sort of settled himself once llast night.he had a feed and was all awake and chatty, then he just lay back and zonked out. He then woke up and rolled onto his tummy as I put him in the travel cot (beside our bed) then he muttered and wriggled a bit before quietly going to sleep. shock. Then slept for almost 3 hours. <faints>

Maybe light at the end of the tunnel. . .

hey all sorry for being so rubbish! I have been lurking - congratulations bartlett!
dream - lots of cmpi babies have exactly the same issues with soya milk. Meds might be worth a go. what does your dh think?
All ok here, in laws visiting from Thurs to Tues though so coming weekend will probably be really irritating. Just as we were getting into our stride here a bit. Still won't be as bad as when in the first week of May they plus bil and sil are coming out for a week. Total invasion...
dd1 better now but dd2 under the weather. Still excited about her turning one in two days time!
We have also agreed that 2 is definitely our lot (dh always thought that I was unsure). All done with that bit now!

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 25-Feb-13 13:52:18

<considers downloading FF app, just for information, you understand>

That sounds like a good plan, Jaggy. Anything that means you get a bit more sleep is brilliant in my book! I shall be brooking hard for this being the beginning of self-settling!

Pomme, hope your weekend with in-laws goes okay. It must be really annoying to have people going yay, free accommodation in Italy and descending on you!

Gosh, A is one in 2 days! Wow. Where has the time gone? Hope she feels better in time for her birthday!

I've got the FF app too and just for AF tracking at the moment. AF has been fairly regular since she returned in August but I'm now averaging 29 days rather than 28.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 25-Feb-13 16:03:27

Am downloading it now! <baa>

Yikes, it wants to know if I plan to take my basal body temperature orally or vaginally! <scared> Does an ear thermometer take basal body temp? Btw, I am not ttc just now!

You can avoid the temp bit too and use pant snot/ovulation wee sticks instead. I used it for A as I was desperate for a short gap and the blooming wedding had already imposed at least 21-23 months on us.

jaggythistle Mon 25-Feb-13 21:27:04

My app didn't ask me questions, but I logged in with my old Id so maybe it knew?

Sounds a bit stressful pomme!

BartletForTeamGB Mon 25-Feb-13 21:43:23

too, so DH is up for TTC? Are you? How exciting? Would you be the first postgrad to return to the TTC thread or have I missed others?

DD is doing so well. I find her very efficient feeds rather unsettling after struggling so much with BFing with DS! Not happy with anything, eh?! grin

Not sure I'm up for TTC any time soon myself. I've been saying to DH I'm not sure I can do it all again, but I think he is just hoping I'll change my mind in a year's time. Still not sending him off for the snip anytime soon and no urgency to decide!

This thread is not accepting new messages.