Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Still brooking no argument whatsoever that these babies are happy, healthy and awesome for 2013 too.

(1000 Posts)
jaggythistle Wed 26-Dec-12 20:46:08

eh. attempt at new thread. yo.

too try regularly giving a saltwater eye bath with cotton wool, say 3 or 4 times a day. dissolve about a teaspoon of salt in boiled water.

PetWoman Sun 20-Jan-13 09:29:47

Too sorry to hear about the conjunctivitis. No brooking that the rest of you escape infection. I don't think she can go to nursery with it, though. Does that mean you have to stay home to look after her?!

MY PHONE IS STUCK ON CAPITAL LETTERS! help! Oh phew, that's better.

Dream that's rubbish about the career break. sad what are you going to do? Your boys sound lovely, btw. DS basically just sits - he can swivel round and reach things a surprising distance away but he doesn't roll around to get to places and he shows no sign of crawling. Something sweet though: yesterday we were sitting on the floor together (he was facing me and playing with something so not looking at me) and I blew my nose. DS was so shocked by the unexpected noise that he jumped and hid his face in my lap. bless.

Scarlet really sad about the anxiety. As others have said, please try to tell someone how bad it's getting. This is not you, it's an illness which you need treatment for so you can recover and be your normal confident self again.

Thanks everyone for the cat seat and thermometer info. smile

Will post this now then scroll back cos i know I've missed lots. Oh Hawthers I loved DS1's conversation! Gorgeous!

PetWoman Sun 20-Jan-13 09:31:04

Bloody hell car seat. blush

musicalmrs Sun 20-Jan-13 10:26:22

Raa, loving yours and DS1's conversation! grin

Too, so sorry about poor M's conjunctavitus sad Hope she's not suffering too much, poor thing - and hope it clears up soon. I'm glad you're enjoying your time back at work - I know what you mean about a break from loneliness and relentlessness. Tis one of the reasons I felt a bit sad about handing in my resignation letter last week. I love being home with Iz, but I really like working. My work is quite lonely, so it's not that so much ... but I miss giving my brain a good workout! Once everything's been confirmed about leaving my old job I can start thinking about finding opportunities here though...

Dream, so sorry about your career break sad So are you employing your vair nice nursery nurse from when you go back then? How many days a week will you be working? Although it'll be tough, I imagine the break from the relentlessness will possibly do you good..? Fx there were no more high temps last night!

Scarlet, don't be ashamed about the anxiety. You are a fabulous mum, and even more fabulous for getting by despite the anxiety. Definitely mention it at your remaining CBT appts - and to the GP - there are always other avenues.

Sorry A is ill again Scream sad Bugs do seem to be one of the huge problems with nurseries. Then again, I guess every child will go through the same when they start at nursery/preschool/school - just seems much more sad when they're so little!

Apologies for the lack of posts here - v busy with meetings about a funding bid, lots of freelance work bits, and lots of family around. We've just picked out wallpaper for our living room which is being decorated in a fortnight, hurrah! Meant to go out buying paint samples today (the first two we picked were v wrong!) but not sure if we'll brave it in the snow. DH is supposed to be driving 3 hours for work tonight, which I'm not sure I'm too pleased about - quite a bit of snow here at the mo.

Also missing Biscuits. I wonder if she'll ever be back.. ?!

TooImmatureMincePies Mon 21-Jan-13 11:52:12

Thank you, everyone - M's conjunctivitis is already improving. DH took her to the doc this morning and they said it didn't look too bad and just to keep washing her eyes gently with warm water. So far we haven't caught it. DH forgot to ask about sending her to nursery with it, so I think we might risk it. Is that very bad?

How is the snow everywhere? We have a fair bit at home but it's not lying at work. I want to go home and play in the snow!

M has a new trick of biting my nipple and pulling her head back to look at me while grinning evilly. Then she giggles when I yelp and detach her. It is very cute but very sore. She's a bad baby! She's cruising around the furniture and doing proper hands-and-knees crawling (when she first started she inched along the floor like a caterpillar on her tummy) and she's getting pretty good with her little trolley walker. She goes across the floor really fast, but can't turn corners with it, so she winds up stuck. She's pulling up to stand on everything handy, which makes bath time difficult because she won't sit down, just keeps grabbing the taps or the side of the bath and standing up. She's also learned to sit down from a standing position - she slides her feet further and further apart so she looks like she's doing the splits and then lets go and sits down plop. It is so cute!

Stacks Mon 21-Jan-13 14:02:06

I've been AWOL again. More busy with T now DH is back at work. He's decided he only likes to sleep on me during the day for some reason. Wakes up within minutes of putting him down, yet if I pick him back up quick enough he goes back to sleep.

Lots of snow here, about 4 inches on the ground, and snowing heavy all day so far. I managed to get out for a walk before lunch (T wouldn't stop crying, so I went out in desperation). Our pram isn't made for snow though, all 4 wheels jammed so it was really hard work. I came back exhausted, but T woke up as we got to the doorstep sad

DH has been great, given me one job for the day - have a nap. T isn't cooperating so far though. I did get to go to bed on my own at 9pm last night, leaving DH with T sleeping on him on the sofa. Got 2 good hours of solo sleep which was lovely.

Sorry to hear of more poorly LOs. I'm dreading T getting ill. Hope illnesses are gone soon though, and everyone starts getting more sleep soon.

T waking up again sad

Loopyhasanotherbean Mon 21-Jan-13 21:11:13

Struggling to do much more than lurk on these threads at the moment!

Stacks, re sleeping on you, maybe nothing but that's what my ds1 was like, until he was 9 months old he would only sleep in the day if he was on me or in the car. We found out later that this was because of his reflux. Does T puke much? Hoping not and that there is another reason why he won't sleep lay down!

Had a dull week or two here, dealing with annual mot/service, then car broke down, and baby monitor died so spent time researching new ones (the one we went for is amazing!) and then ds1 broke silicone mouthpiece on his water cup so had to get replacements ordered, and just moved him to his new bedroom with his big boy bed, so lots to sort re that, and he's not napping as we'll in there so have now ordered some black out blinds (he had them in his old room but I wasn't sure if he needed them, clearly he does!) and all these silly little things seem to take ages to sort when juggling a 2 year old who isn't napping in his new room and a 20 week old who sleeps less each day than his big brother! Especially when ds1 didn't go to nursery as the car wouldn't start! Hoping this week is a better one and that nothing breaks! And also hoping that asda manage to deliver the vast amount of nappies I've ordered whilst they are on sale. They have a habit of advertising but never actually giving supplies to our local store.

Re conjunctivitis, they are not meant to go to nursery but have to say that my ds1 caught it twice at his old nursery which really p'd me off, as clearly someone was sending their child in ill. He is at a new nursery now, and parents there seem just as selfish, ds1 was v ill in December and then ds2 ended up in hospital with bronchiolitis and the hospital seemed sure that from what I described that ds1 had had it first and passed it to ds2. The only place ds1 could have caught it was from the nursery. Yet the one day I sent him to nursery when he was a bit off colour and they are on the phone asking me to collect him. I don't see why they have rules if half the parents are allowed to ignore them, but because they know I'm not at work, the slightest sniffle and they send ds1 home! Grrrr. Rant over!

Dream, sorry re the career break being refused. From memory didn't you say it would cost more in child care than you'd earn by going back?

jaggythistle Mon 21-Jan-13 23:11:30

Me too loopy. It seems to depend what shift I'm on at work whether I can catch up and post!

Am home from evening shift and have done expressing dishes. DS 2 asleep on DH knee as usual. Will need to attempt transfer once pyjamas on...

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Tue 22-Jan-13 08:07:20

Yes, it'll cost us literally thousands a year for me to work.... But I keep my job and registration. Nice to see you loopy nursery would drive me wild doing that!! Good job we are no worse off for going the Nanny route with three dc.

Popped on while feeding b buy morning kick off fully started now so best go. I wish dh didn't go to work so damn early!!!

raaboonah Tue 22-Jan-13 10:03:42

It is barely worth me going to work after nanny and school fees. Just too depressing. I think it was ninja who asked how much our nanny is - £90 a day net of tax shock and she's bloody called in sick again today so another day of me not being in work and I've git a presentation to do to 30 lawyers first thing on wed so I was banking on having a couple of days to prepare. Now not so much. Argh!!

raaboonah Tue 22-Jan-13 10:09:47

And where is biscuits ? We miss you lady, you can't leave us!

Dream, that's bad news re your career break and the financial impact of working while paying for childcare. What do you think you will do? I am brooking that you will find a good solution.

Raa, sorry to hear re your nanny problems too. I am interested in the nanny news as I'm thinking of nanny or childminder as an option for us when I go back to work. DH works freelance from home, so having some childcare to look after DS while DD is at preschool would be good so that he can still work. Sadly I'll have to go back full time.

Loopy, hope your groceries came!

Stacks, you are doing a great job. I think with sleep at this age you just have to go with the baby. Good that he is sleeping ok at night though. My DS is much the same - sleeps in two 3ish hour chunks at night and it varies in the day. Sometimes he will do a couple of hours in the Moses basket in the day, but other days he is more restless. I keep persevering with putting him down when he goes to sleep though!

Too, I'm glad the conjunctivitis is clearing up now.

Quick post, so sorry not to mention everyone else.

I am curious what you are all doing re contraception? DH has been to GP this morning re vasectomy as we do not want any more DCs, but I suppose I feel it's a bit too soon to rush into it, although I am sure I don't want any more babies. I think I'll go on the pill in the meantime. Prior to having DS I had wondered about the coil and am interested if anyone has any experience? Obviously all the broody brookers need not reply!

Oh and I meant to ask how you are, Scarlet? Brooking for you.

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Tue 22-Jan-13 20:54:21

Going to try paying out hugely for me to work. What a bloody joke. I'm so pissed off. (sorry for the swearing, it deserves it!)

Biscuits has left the thread btw sad

jaggythistle Tue 22-Jan-13 22:25:15

:-( hope she is ok. Are you still in touch on fb?

jaggythistle Tue 22-Jan-13 22:26:35

Hit post too soon. That sucks dream, it's bad enough going back to work to make money!

DD is crawling! Bless her she makes it look a real effort, but the determination is incredible. DS has better watch out now.

Gen I've been wondering what to do re contraception too lately. Mainly because my periods have been so awful since DD I was hoping to find something which sorted that problem out at the same time. I'm considering going back on the pill. I was on it for 10 years prior to DS and have now had a 5 year break from it. I'd consider something more final tbh but would rather it be DH than me!
I've been a bit less anxious the last few days, I managed to get a grip. Thanks for asking. I have my appointment tomorrow and have been keeping a diary which I'm happy to show the therapist so we'll see what she thinks.

Dream sounds like an impossible decision you've had to make. You can only try and promise yourself you can make a change if you're not feeling happy about how things go.

Loopy I'm with you on people sending poorly DC to childcare. Gives me the rage big time.

Jaggy Biscuits is fine, I saw her a fortnight ago. Unfortunately RL got in the way of brooking and something had to give sad She did say that she's getting far more done at home now grin

jaggythistle Tue 22-Jan-13 23:08:29

Ah very understandable.I have considered doing the same thing many times. I've opted to just cut down...a bit.

I really need to make a doctors appointment to see about contraception, I promised DH I'd make an effort in the new year blush as I'm kind of just avoiding it a bit!

TooImmatureMincePies Wed 23-Jan-13 09:15:56

sad about Biscuits. I was wondering guiltily if she'd been outed in RL because I know her sister, but then her sister never said a word to me. Anyway, it's a shame she's stopped entirely and not just cut back! <wonders if she would also get much more done at home if she stopped MNing>

Scarlet, glad to hear the anxiety's been a bit better. Hope the therapist is really helpful and reassuring tomorrow.

Don't stone me for sending M to nursery with gunky eyes! <hides from the wrath of Loopy and Scarlet> They were so much better than they had been on Saturday. The nursery said usually they didn't let children come back until 24 hours after them having drops, but DH explained that the doc hadn't given her any drops and said just to wash her eyes with cooled boiled water, so they let her stay.

Gen, I have also been wondering about that - I got the mini-pill after M was born but I was absolutely useless at taking it within the 3 hour window. We've been going for the rhythm method instead. We did have a serious talk about the next baby at the weekend, though, and decided to definitely wait until Oct before ttc (for financial reasons), so I need to do something a bit more reliable. I thought perhaps now I'm back at work I might manage to remember to take the mini-pill, so I'll have to make an appt to go back and get some more.

Dream, that's v annoying about work. It must be so annoying to have to pay so much! Mind you, you now have a value for your time, which you should probably double to cover the nightshift, and when you get depressed, remember how much you're worth! What are your arrangements going to be - is it the young nanny on her own, or a combination with nursery? Will you be back part-time? I honestly think you might find it a bit of a relief to get away. I do, which is terribly bad, but I find I've missed the company so much. Next time I'm on mat leave I'm going to make a huge effort to go to groups, because I think I'd have cracked up if I'd been alone at home for much longer. I miss M during the day, though - I feel short-changed of baby cuddles! <least helpful post ever>

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Wed 23-Jan-13 09:39:07

I am never lonely, we have a social whirl of groups, friends to play and going to theirs and if there's nothing on/ill dc I'm too busy to be lonely grin . Lucky!!
Definitely recommend activities with dc, we are starting toddler gymnastics today, though DD not v coordinated so we will see how much of a success it is... It does take some hunting round to find ones you like with nice people though IME. I travel further for better people/ toys/ groups smile

No time for more but young nanny, I'm going back 2 days, dh off with her one day, hopefully my mum up for the other as otherwise DD can't do her gymnastics as don't know what she'd dp with the boys, especially when they get moving as its parents assisting the dc and she will need a lot of help/ supervision...

Scarlet, I'm glad you feel a bit better. Diary sounds a great idea and I'm sure the therapist would help with that. And we'll done DD re the crawling!

Sorry to hear Biscuits has left the thread.

Thanks all re your comments in contraception. I'm thinking mini pill for now, but if DH does have the snip, I'm not sure I want natural cycles complete with PMT etc until menopause. I'd be quite happy to stay on the pill I think, but DH doesn't think it's healthy to have "all those hormones".

Dream, toddler gymnastics sounds like fun and its good that you have some help with the DCs who,e you go back to work. I suppose this phase only lasts a short time and they'll be at school before you know it. Hope that's not too depressing a though!

DS has a cold. Probably because DD also has one and sneezed in his face a couple of days ago. He has been snuffling all night, but we raised the head of his Moses basket and he actually slept really well. In fact he's still asleep after last feed at 6. Kind of want to wake him to feed him, but also thinking he may need the sleep.

jaggythistle Wed 23-Jan-13 10:00:42

DS 1 went to one of those classes and loved it dream :-)

We have a good local playgroup here, although we've been neglecting it since DS 1 started nursery. I will try to take DS 2 to the bump to toddlers one sometime but work getting in the way.

The library book bug sessions are also good too.

morning my lovelies! dream sorry to hear about work, but as others have said, maybe the break away from the kids will give a bit of renewed enjoyment when you are with them? Plus having time to do something for yourself, even if it is work, has to be good for the old grey matter? Plus surely you'll actually get a lunch break, like, all to yourself? Thats what I'm telling myself anyway. I have a meeting to discuss my hours tomorrow and i'm going to have to take M with me which is a bit annoying. I do 24 hours a week which is currently 3 days but going to see if I can split on of the days in two and do half on a saturday to save some cash on childcare fees.
scarlet glad you sound more positive, i wonder if keeping a diary of the anxiety will help show a pattern, especially if like you say it might be pmt related or something? Good luck any way, hope your appointment goes well.
Sorry to hear biscuits has disappeared but life does indeed get in the way I guess <waves just in case she's lurking occasionally>
raa I think we've decided on nursery rather than nanny or childminder and hope to get dd into ds's old nursery which was fab and is just round the corner. But expensive, hence asking to work on a saturday.
There's such a lot of colds and coughs about which is horrbile. Dd has a cough and snotty nose but seems to sleep ok most nights although her room gets v cold so if she wakes I just plonk her on the bed in between me and dp and we all go back to sleep. Although ds likes to try and slip in too and there is not enough room for 4 of us in one bed!
stacks ds was not a good daytime sleeper, king of the 45 minute nap but did improve when he got older. Perserverance I guess?
<waves at loopy, generic, jaggy, too, musical and anyone else I've not mentioned>
Its cold here today but the snow is disappearing. Must toddle off for a shower soon and do some shopping before school run later.

Loopyhasanotherbean Wed 23-Jan-13 20:21:11

Yay, nappies arrived today smile although they let us down on the wipes so need to re order those!

Need mega brooking, someone is coming to view my house tomorrow, it's been on the market for a scary amount of time and really hoping this one likes it. Snow is hiding any weeds in the garden and we've had a good tidy up. Just the small matter of 42 mega boxes of nappies in the hall lol...

Ps sorry biscuits has left, maybe she might be back to lurk soon?

42 boxes? you could build a whole new room out of those grin good luck, we moved in November, don't fancy doing it again in a hurry. where in the country are you?

This thread is not accepting new messages.