Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Still brooking no argument whatsoever that these babies are happy, healthy and awesome for 2013 too.

(1000 Posts)
jaggythistle Wed 26-Dec-12 20:46:08

eh. attempt at new thread. yo.

PetWoman Tue 15-Jan-13 07:47:41

car seat not cat seat. blush

Dream hope your LOs improve today so you don't have to practise your banshee wail...

raaboonah Tue 15-Jan-13 08:47:52

Ours tag teamed us last night. W up at 10.40, f at 2.30 and up on and off to 3.45 then w at 5 which woke f then got them calpoled and resettled and w up at 6.30 which woke f for the day. Hope both just slightly coldy and getting used to me being at work then it might not last long... It's like the good old days of newborn. stacks you have my total sympathies

oh gosh how awful so many mini brookers are not sleeping! scream have you calpoled/ got carvol or olbas oil/ raised the head end of her cot <tries to think of all other cold-foiling methods in my armoury>? I hope everyone gets sleep soon. DD and ds both a bit unsettled here as full of cold and is affecting both their sleeping but nothing compared to what you lot go through. Roll on the warmer nights though as its chuffing freezing at 3am (laments lack of carpet in house).
MUST have a massive tidy today as ds has friends round for tea tonight, not sure what to cook them though....
pomme glad to hear you are all settling in well over there.
stacks how are things with the bf?
There was more I wanted to say but can't remember what it was, oh well, laters brookers x

Not got much time to post, but wanted to say hi!

Sorry to hear re illness in various brooking babies. Not fun. I second ninja's suggestion of raising the head of the cot as it helps them to breathe better.

We had our first weekend away with two kids at the weekend - not bad at 2 weeks old for DS! Just went to the pils, which was lovely but my back is aching now from BFing on their sofas, which are lovely to relax on, but not good to sit upright and BF on. Hey ho.

DS's sleep is still a bit unpredictable. I am feeding as much as I can in the day and he seems to have taught himself to cluster feed in the evening now, so I'm getting to bed by 11, which is great, but then he sometimes sleeps two or three hours, but often it's only an hour. And stacks, I can relate to the transfer worries! If I'm not careful, he wakes when I transfer him and then I have to feed and settle again. Still, I'm enjoying it and was looking forward to this stage so much! I'm getting into a morning routine now and even managed the playgroup run today and got DD there on time.

Loving the banshee wails Pomme and Dream! grin

So sorry to hear of so many bad nights. Dream you are already my hero, and Pet it sounds like you're having a tough time too. sad Raaboo your night sounds torturous! shock

Ninja and Generic I well remember how not-fun an "unsettled" night is (that was my DD's default night pattern until about 3 weeks ago!)

No brooking for good health for all mini No Brookers, and lots of strength and patience for us No Brooker Mamas!

DD was up all night, despite my cold-counter-offensive (calpol, ibuprofen, karvol, olbas oil, raising the cot mattress at one end and co-sleeping. --Plus some piriton when it all got a bit desperate.--) I've gone back to cc today for her nap I'm afraid, because despite my best efforts to comfort her to sleep for the last 2 days, she just won't settle and she's so exhausted I can't imagine her shaking off this cold. It took an hour, but I have finally got her to sleep (ten mins ago - first nap of the day).

Tonight DH is staying over and it's his turn to look after her grin grin grin I know I won't be able to sleep while she's crying, but at least he gets to share in the joy of snot everywhere (my face, my clothes, my bed, my pillow, etc etc) and the unique experience of a full face snotty sneeze grin

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Wed 16-Jan-13 07:02:56

So, I've seen every hour of the night. Again. Yawn.

If you have one baby who's up at 6 every morning (thanks S) but the others are up 7:30, even 8 for DD now she doesn't nap, would you do 2 lots of breakfast? I've just been doing them altogether, later, but think S is too tired to eat :/ And he's so whingey. Three dc whinging all day is no fun at all...

<hands out strong coffee and glittery matchsticks to those in need>

jaggythistle Wed 16-Jan-13 07:19:12

Tbh R has missed many meals through sleeping and a haven't done his when he woke up!

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Wed 16-Jan-13 07:47:09

Tbh its all theoretical here anyway, s still has a temp of 38.3. 10 days he's been ill now. Dh says his ears are pretty red, still not managed to see his tonsils...

jaggythistle Wed 16-Jan-13 11:06:00

Poor little guy sad Go away all these illnesses for the Dream family!

TooImmatureMincePies Wed 16-Jan-13 17:18:23

Hello!

<waves frantically>

Bloody work expecting me to, ahem, work is preventing me from posting as much.

Pomme, where is Biscuits on FB? I can't see her.

Dream, if S is that grumpy then I might feed him earlier. I know it's a pita but not as bad as grumpy hungry-but-overtired baby. That's what my dad does with his 3. They're older now (11, 9 and 5) so you don't have to physically feed them any more but basically Dad/stepmum get up with the earliest riser and get breakfast into them as fast as possible before they hit grumpy, and feed the others as they awake. M has also missed many meals through sleeping, but if she has missed one and is really grumpy then I feed her because it makes her easier to deal with.

We had a delightful interlude at 3am when M peed through her nappy and woke up soaked. Luckily it hadn't soaked through to the sheet, but she had to have dry nappy, vest, babygro and sleeping bag, which took a while with her screaming and kicking. I wish there was some way of communicating to a baby that the longer they spend squirming like an eel when you're trying to dress them, the longer it is going to take. Then she had to be fed and soothed and then she lay in her cot talking to herself and giggling before falling asleep, which was very cute but meant I didn't get back to sleep until 4.

I am supposed to be working so can't name check everyone, apologies!

PetWoman Thu 17-Jan-13 20:18:43

Too I've just finished reading 'Emily of New Moon' from the website you linked to - thank you so much!

I loved your description of M giggling to herself - so sweet.

Hi all

Just popping in to say I've been keeping up with the thread but not posted due to not really having much positive to contribute. Really been struggling with worrying and anxiety again sad. My CBT seems to have a very temporary positive impact but then I revert back to old ways and thoughts within days. I never in a million years would have predicted this for myself, it's a relatively recent thing but rather than improving I seem to be getting worse. Not too sure how to shake myself out of it. DH is understanding and supportive but I haven't told him how bad it's making me feel. I started to tell my closest RL friend but ended up making light of it. I don't know why I don't want people to know, maybe it's because I know they can't help confused

I hope your DC are on the mend Dream? How is A now Scream?

Car seats have always been Maxi-Cosi for us and we've never had any concerns. DS is now in group 2-3 which is his 3rd car seat since birth. We decided to replace at each stage rather than get one that does all, mainly because of wear and tear. His 2 old ones both look good as new so DD uses the Cabriofix and will move to he Tobi when big enough. I like the look of the swively ones and can't remember now why we didn't go for it.

Sounds like you're doing well Gen How's DD enjoying being big sister?

We have the Braun Thermoscan Pet. It's the same as the one our GP uses and our A&E. I'm always a bit hmm as it gives a different reading every time in quick succession but the docs seem to think it does the job.

Oh scarlet sad can you speak to the therapist/ gp about what is happening? I think you need to tell someone. Please don't make light of it, it's clearly affecting your life and keeping it to yourself will surely only exacerbate the problem. Wish I had a magic answer for you. Please feel free to post on here about it if it will help you make sense of it.
Our 9mth + carseat is a maxi cosi, can't remember which one as its currently residing in a mates garage in the midlands although dp is off to fetch some stuff this weekend if the snow is not too bad so might get him to bring it back. I think i'd rather go for several car seats than a converting one. I did read somewhere the rules may be changing next year on how long they have to rear face for so you may end up having to re-buy anyway? Might be worth looking into (especially since I may be talking complete bollocks...)
dream and scream how are things going for you guys? Any improvement on illness/ sleeping?
Well its snowing here, has been since I opened the door to take ds to school this morning so dd is well wrapped up (why do babies have freezing hands even when they have about 50 polar fleece layers on?) next to me on the sofa and i'm considering more tea and toast, possibly even biscuits.
Speaking of biscuits hope you are well if you're lurking..
<waves at everyone else>

Hug for Scarlet. please go back to the gp. you shouldn't be suffering like this and it's nothing at all to be ashamed of.

it's awfully quiet here, are you all off having a snowball fight or something?

raaboonah Sat 19-Jan-13 06:42:48

Hello am lurking but feeling rather negative about being at work and not being a good mum either so is only end up whining if I posted so thought is better refrain.

Although DS1 came out with a few corkers yesterday...

Ds1: mummy where is your willy?
Me: I'm a girl, I don't have one
Ds1: what have you got?
Me: er I've got boobs, nous have willies and girls have boobs
Ds1: I've got boobs
Me: have you?!
Ds1: yes, on my chest. They are similar to yours...

The conversation went on for a bit but the further highlights were:

Ds1: mummy, you don't have a Willy?
Me: no
Ds1: so how do you wee?

And a bit later

Ds1: mummy, you've got furry bits. Like daddy. Why haven't I got furry bits?

The joys of three and a half and the questions you never thought you'd need to answer. I'm a bit apprehensive about what questions are coming next

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Sat 19-Jan-13 07:54:58

Hello, still immersed in illness here, though touch wood no temperatures from any dc last night so fx on the mend, finally. After 6 days of temps hitting 39 for DT1...

Career break declined this Wed too, with 4 weeks to go til I'm back at work and found a vair young (21) but lovely nursery nurse in the village to potentially nanny for us. I'm a bit nervous, she doesn't drive (maybe good but limiting when we are in a village!) .

Anyway. I'm exhausted and busy, and feeling low about the total lack of sleeping here.

And NO SNOW!?!

Raaboo, wanted to ask where you found your nanny? its really hard doing both, I actually don't think we can 'have it all' very well, but am still considering trying back at work. Craziness. I think its harder doing part time work and part time mum as I think you basically end up trying to fit two full time jobs in.(incidentally none of this is much more than rambling and because I'm worried about my imminent return to work, lots)

TooImmatureMincePies Sat 19-Jan-13 07:56:57

grin at Raa's DS1! What did you say to 'how do you wee'?

Scarlet, sad are you still having CBT? Please tell your therapist how you feel. Or the GP. They can't help if they don't know what's going on. <hugs>

Pet, I have an ear thermometer too. I know it's expensive but I saw it as an investment (or that's what I told DH, anyway).

Dream, how is S now? Brooking that he's much better!

I have been reading the thread but work is getting in the way, and I find it difficult to type much on my phone so I like to wait until I get home to use the laptop. And I've been exhausted in the evenings as the reality of working hits home!

Is it bad that M is playing with an empty wine bottle? confused

TooImmatureMincePies Sat 19-Jan-13 08:36:00

Oh, cross posts.

Dream, yay for a temp-free night! But eek about not getting the career break. How annoying! Gosh, 4 weeks before you go back to work. What will you do for child-care? Will the young nanny cover the days you work? How many days will you be working? I find being back at work quite good because I get a bit of a break from the relentlessness and the loneliness. I was really getting quite miserable at home alone all day, so it's nice to have company again.

We have snow! Not a massive amount - maybe a couple of inches, but it looks v pretty. And DH isn't on call this weekend, which is always good.

Oh no Dream that's not good about work. I thought you'd already decided you were having a couple/few years out of work regardless whether the career break was approved or not. Are you worried you won't get a job later on if you resign from work now? I get the impression from others that part time work is often harder than full time work due to H's having the "well she works less hours than me" attitude so the woman still ends up doing everything in the house as well. What are your options and what are you currently considering?

Love your DS1 raa it was using the words chest and similar which tickled me. Excellent vocab!

Thanks for your concern Ninja, Gen and Too. The evil AF arrived again yesterday so I wonder if PMT contributed leading up to that. I am still having CBT and have an appointment next week. I will definitely say that I don't think it's helping. I believe I only have 3 sessions left anyway so will go back to GP after that if there's no miracle cure by then.

DH and DS are going out with the sledge this morning. They are both accident prone so I shall spend the whole time waiting for that phone call. I suggested DS wears his cycle helmet but DH thinks not because his ears will get cold. DH used to be a regular skier. The mind boggles when I think about it. How on earth he got away with never having a major injury I don't know because he trips over his own feet at least once a day. He's all legs like Bambi on ice.

Argh! I wrote a post yesterday, which hasn't made it to the thread, and today everything has changed!

One thing that hasn't changed is that clearly this thread is missing our Chief No Brooker - Biscuits!

I wanted to say that little A was finally getting better, and her temp had come down. However after having her first full(ish) day at nursery she's now ill again! Sob sob! Her temp is slightly raised again, she's flushed and clingy, and her 40-a-day cough is back. Grr!!! Poor LO.

She was a star on her first day though! No fussing, great nap, ate everything in reach! grin The nursery closed early for the day due to the snow, but she was there from 8 til 4 so it was still a long day for her.

Sending hugs to Scarlet, Raaboo, and Dream. Scarlet I'm starting to get the impression that the NHS like to err on the side of cost-saving when it comes to CBT hmm angry Please make sure you tell your GP or counsellor exactly how much of an impact your anxiety is having on your life, and really push for the help you need. You shouldn't have to feel this way all the time my lovely. We're all here whenever you need to vent though.

Raaboo you are a great Mum! Never doubt that! Those same skills that make you a great Mum are also why I'm certain you're great at your job! Corralling babies is just like corralling colleagues and clients in taxing jobs like ours! grin Don't expect the impossible from yourself, just remember that you're doing incredibly well with the huge challenges of working AND parenting!

Dream, firstly HOORAY for lower temps! That's so sucky about your job though. I know how important your career is to you, and having a part of your life that's totally separate from your gorgeous but young and naturally high-maintenance DC is also important. I'm so sorry you're stuck with such a difficult decision now. No Brooking for a perfect solution to come up ASAP!

Hugs and No Brooking to everyone else, but I have to go now. LO is having a meltdown...

TooImmatureMincePies Sat 19-Jan-13 19:33:24

Aaargh, M has conjunctivitis. Her poor little eyes are weeping yellow goo, ick. I am therefore paranoid about every little potential itch in my eyes, while simultaneously praying that DH doesn't get it. He has keratoconus, which basically means that his cornea is thinning and he had an operation a few years ago where they put a plastic ring between the layers of the cornea to hold his eyeball in position. He gets dry, sore eyes a lot and is photosensitive to the point where he probably shouldn't drive at night because he gets dazzled. Plus, if he gets it he will be really, really annoying, moan a lot and rub his eyes raw (he's not meant to rub them because he could make his condition worse or possibly even bend the plastic thing). M is going to the doctor on Monday anyway (appt made because she had a bad cough, which has actually nearly gone, and we've run out of cream for her fungal rash and she still has one or two spots) so will see if they give her anything for it. Can she go to nursery with conjunctivitis? She clearly caught it there. angry

Yay for little A at nursery! She sounds like a star. Brooking that she gets better v soon.

Rubber, I haven't forgotten about sending you the breastpump, but I haven't got around to it either. blush I'll try to remember to pack it up tomorrow and get DH to post it on Monday.

Scarlet, how did DH and DS get on with the sledging? We went sledging today as well - DH had M on his front in the sling. I fell off the sledge and have a massive bruise on my knee, but it was great fun. The dog thought we were mental and chased us barking and tried to jump on the sledge.

Brooking that the anxiety turns out to be PMT-related - that's not brilliant, but it's better than having it all the time.

I meant to say that M got her first accident report from nursery on Wednesday - it was v scary because the letter said 'your child has suffered a head injury'! Apparently she went headfirst into the sand tray and bumped her eye, which had a purple swelling under it. Poor little beastie. All the same, the letter makes it sound worse than it is!

Deffo no nursery with conjunctivitis. Highly contagious. Poor little M with her poorly eyes and a head injury. I wonder if she got sand in her eye when she went in head first? Anyway although it's a bit icky and annoying it usually clears up quickly.

DS has had a fab time in the snow today. He and DH built a huge snowman in the garden. I've refrained from the FB snow pics so you'll have to take my word for it that it's impressive. In fact it's quite scary looking looming in the garden in the dark. I keep thinking someone's standing there every time I look up out of the window.

Hope A's ok now Scream?

Hope the rest of you are having a good weekend?

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Sat 19-Jan-13 21:35:51

Yawn. I'm arguing with dh lots, exhaustion related as once we calm down we're not sure why we were so cross in the first place- non issues, you know?

Off to bed now. But just came to say poor old M with her conjunctivitis. If we have lots of bugs now I dread to think how bad it'd be if they went to nursery :/ It is very contagious, I know that.

And.what a shame A ill too scream love your updates on her, she's the most amazing child- every post she's doing something new!! Little B just sits there grinning when he's not whinging , but at least he claps if you ask him, even without a demonstration to show what tog mean, and he's just so sweet. S cam swivel round in a circle but still not crawling, but if i had to guess I think he might. Not so sure about b...

Not that s isn't sweet, but b just seems so much more sensitive and I can't quite explain it... Maybe just that s is more robust?!

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Sat 19-Jan-13 21:37:33

Forgot to say, rubbish about the anxiety scarlet don't be ashamed of yourself, ever. (((())))

This thread is not accepting new messages.