Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

December 2012 - the Christmas buns are coming out of the oven

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 23-Dec-12 17:18:23

New fred...

WillYuleDoTheFandango Sun 30-Dec-12 19:45:45

Thank you everyone thanks

Responses to questions: Jamie is 2 weeks today, which my midwife says is peak time for onset of colic. I have started infacol as too little for gripe water and have used tommee tippee anti colic bottles for last 2 feeds. He's like a different baby and we can even lie him on his back! Would only sleep on us last 2 nights. We've had the grunting, arching back, scrunching legs up and making vomiting noises.

Sorry to hear so many are struggling. Hope everyone gets a little sleep tonight.

leobear Sun 30-Dec-12 19:58:15

I know what you mean about dreading evenings - I felt like that with DD1 - part of me feels the same now, with DD2, but on the other hand I know how quickly this phase passes - it doesn't feel like it at the time, but it honestly goes by, and then they won't snuggle any more! It is really tough, though - I've felt weak and lightheaded all day.

Bellaboo123 Sun 30-Dec-12 20:01:30

Another one who dreads evenings!

CODwidow Sun 30-Dec-12 20:02:40

Oh stacey I really feel for you, maybe ask him totally outright but I do think once you have an idea in your head it's hard to shift. I have my own issues with dh as he just does not pull his weight around the house and with 4 other dc's it's becoming hard work to keep up. I just wish he would see what needs doing and do it! He spends the majority of his time ion his phone or the I pad, grrrangry

Weissdorn Sun 30-Dec-12 20:29:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stacey hugs again. I think cod is right and if poss you just need to ask hi outright as if you're anything like me it'll keep worrying you till he tells you very bluntly there is nothing to worry about.

I don't mean to bang on about it but info struggle with knowing what to expect with Dash. The milestones thing is one but things like colic and growth spurts and things like that I don't know of I should be expecting them for his actual age or adjusted (ie colic would be hitting now for adjusted age but he's too old with his actual) or will I just never l ow when to expect things?!!

WillYuleDoTheFandango Sun 30-Dec-12 20:36:43

Oh COD that's rubbish too. Can you sit down and make a list between you containing the absolute essentials as you both see them? Then you and DP could make sure that at least those are done before he sits and plays in his iPad? it's like the kids watching tv before homework is done but do just phrase it like that unless you want to see a spectacular man paddy! You need time to look after your newborn without worrying about fitting everything else in.

Tmi question - has everyone been doing their pelvic floor exercises? I've been doing mine a lot and I've found that the muscles feel tired and achy really quickly and I can't do many at once. Is this normal, do I just need to build it up until they're stronger?

CODwidow Sun 30-Dec-12 21:26:38

I just find it frustrating but trying to let it go and just enjoy the dc's and worry about washing/housework later but it's hard when he's sat here. On the plus side he did make me some veg soup earlier that will be my lunch for the next week smile

Well we're still feeding every 3-4 hours and I hope it's ok to say this but my nights are not too bad compared to others. We feed at 9-10 then 1:30-2:15 ish and wake at 6:30 so hoping this continues as it fits in with doing the school run in the mornings.
Nipples are sore though, not sure if it's still the thrush or my latch whilst feeding lying down.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 30-Dec-12 21:58:31

COD tell him to appreciate what he's got - my dp'd give his eye teeth to be capable of changing a nappy right now! Or, in fact, walking and talking properly!

Is it possible to overfeed a demand EBF baby? MIL has her own opinion on the subject...

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 30-Dec-12 22:08:40

Poo 7pm. Feed till 11, then again at 4 and 6 for 20-60 minutes. Up to play by 9, short feed at 11, lunch at 1, big sleep 2-4 (thank fuck that's visiting hours!) Feed and play 4-7.

Too much feeding? Should I let him cry? I've been following early cues whenever possible but he'll be 6 weeks tomorrow so not so teeny any more confused

I didn't think it was possible to overfeed demand EBF babies...

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 30-Dec-12 22:39:30

Me either but MIL is vocal in her disagreement hmm

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 30-Dec-12 22:39:30

Me either but MIL is vocal in her disagreement hmm

CODwidow Sun 30-Dec-12 22:43:11

Pidj, I'm sorry I probably sounded really insensitive posting as at least I have him here healthy and well. I just needed to vent and your the right people for that.

Stick to your guns pidj he's your son and you're doing what's best for him.

Clarella Sun 30-Dec-12 22:59:52

purple you may be hitting the 6 week growth spurt - I'd still be going with the demand feeding for now if you can manage and they do say as honey said not poss to over feed ebf baby?

while trying to find out about colic online I came across something researchy that said that babies born prematurely hit the colic phase at the same time as if they were term honey - but as I say it's Dr Google! and can't work out how a 42 weeker fits in with that!

George seems a little wheezy at times - and snored last night! I imagine one of the best things for a cold is keeping them hydrated with milk, which I know you'll be doing!

we were convinced George was ramping up to colic a couple of days ago but now I think it was growth spurty fussiness - though we'll see what tonight brings!

I agree with cod stacey - it'll brew inside you other wise. hope all is ok.

and cod that would drive me insane! I'd have a firm chat about putting ipads before family life.

I think pelvic floors will def be weak at first, keep practising and they should recover though I keep forgetting!

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 30-Dec-12 23:00:47

Don't be daft, COD, you have every right to moan here. I just thought you might be able to use it as an example to scare the bejaysus out of him nudge him into seeing your point grin

I have a friend up the road with a spare bed. I'm going to try and wiggle things so I stay with her for a day or two - to take the pressure off MIL y'know

CODwidow Sun 30-Dec-12 23:17:51

Just puts it into perspective though.

Ouch!! Dd just pulled away whilst still latched on, why does she do that!! So painful.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 30-Dec-12 23:29:04

Hopefully for your H too, if you use the example to stop him acting like a knob!

R does that too so I unlatch him for the break he clearly wants then he cries for more hmm

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 30-Dec-12 23:29:05

Hopefully for your H too, if you use the example to stop him acting like a knob!

R does that too so I unlatch him for the break he clearly wants then he cries for more hmm

Dd is cluster feeding like mad in the evenings the past few days, but around 11pm or a bit later she gets very grumpy and shouts at the boob, so I wind/switch sides/check nappy and start again, could she be emptying me? Can that happen? I've forgotten everything about newborns and bfing it seems!

Ds does that too it really hurts! Seriously I thought they were meant to get better at sleeping not worse! Doesn't help that dp is such a stress head and all his huffing whilst trying to settle ds just winds me up so I tell him not to bother hmm

yuletopian99 Mon 31-Dec-12 01:52:00

We both managed just over an hour's sleep at the same time as O! Small miracles.. Will see if it lasts. He is now up for feeds; rather hoping for a major both-barrels session as milk came in today (as some of you predicted,) and i now feel exactly like I've had another blush boob job..

WLmum Mon 31-Dec-12 03:24:33

Anyone else playing the feed me/put me down/pick me up/feed me for 5more minutes/put me down/pick me up/feed me for 5 more minutes etc game?

Secondsop Mon 31-Dec-12 03:28:59

Anyone else still up? Little Z has been feeding pretty much constantly since midnight. I normally give him a bottle at night to fill him up and settle him but I'm reluctant to do it on top of so much breastfeeding tonight as last night I think he got uncomfortably full and gassy and didnt settle for hours.

This thread is not accepting new messages.