Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - sleepless nights aplenty

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Thu 20-Dec-12 14:49:04
Passmethecrisps Fri 21-Dec-12 10:27:04

Oh and my car also needs repairing . . . Again. We have just spent an absolute fortune on DH's car. Endless

YellowWellies Fri 21-Dec-12 10:28:59

The PIL arrive today so wahoo to extra hands to hold the baby whilst I do stuff! The wee man slept from 11 til 5 and from 5.30 til 8.30. That's two nights in a row please god may this be his pattern. Cutting out dairy is a bitch but if it gives me sleep like this I'm not complaining. Jonas is not a fan of the ranitidine - it's minty fresh and he pulls an outraged face when we give it to him - but he does take it and it seems to be working. Thank feck!!!

Slightly random question for pass and others with little ones with cows milk protein intolerance. Does your wee one have a pink 'stork mark' birth mark between their eyebrows that seems aggravated when they are suffering from bad reflux? My sis has noticed it on every kid she has met with CMPI. Jonas didn't have one at birth but it showed up two weeks ago when our troubles began (what I thought was the 6 week growth spurt). My sis can now use it on her daughter to predict when she's going to have a bad night.

ChunkyTurkeywiththetrimmings Fri 21-Dec-12 10:46:59

I look around at the devastation created by my DD & DH and feel both sad and slightly angry. Partly because I haven't got the energy to tidy/clean/sort/arrange and I had wanted a laze around do nothing day for the first time in over a week and partly because its stupid little shit things that DH should know better about. Like leaving DD's dummies on the worktop not far from the cupboard they live in. It's v frustrating, being the only 1 that gives a shit & be the 1 that has the least sleep & energy & the most to occupy my time (namely DS...).#shouldershudderingsigh.com

Good you've got an appt. I would say though don't panic it is asthma - IME you can't tantrum/scream/cry if you're having an attack and any type of cough usually gets worse at night because of lying down.

VQ I sympathise. It was only last night that A slept for a long time & usually the way its worked out is I'm in bed at midnight, he wakes at 2ish, quick feed but unless I'm lying down I don't sleep for a while waiting to make the Moses basket transfer, wakes at 5 ish, needs changing, longer feed, stays awake until 6 or 7, then DD can wake up any time from 7 until 9. So then I've got to rush around getting us all ready, having had about 4hrs sleep in 2 blocks... Not comparing, because the coughing & so on must be making you both miserable, but just to say it was a first & probably only good night for a while & confused the hell out of me after the feedathons yesterday.

Been a naughty mummy. Have given A his dummy, even though following his tongue snip they said only if desperate, because its sort of like having a newborn/starting from scratch again, so you should wait 4-6wks. I'm going out tonight too, so he'll have to have a bottle too!

ChunkyTurkeywiththetrimmings Fri 21-Dec-12 10:47:44

Appt stuff is to PR obviously...

TheDetective Fri 21-Dec-12 10:53:38

Knowing my luck, the car would break down on the way to buy said lotto ticket. So some other bastard would get my winning ticket grin.

Dp now gone, we are alone! I'm dressed, hair and make up done! Doing a feed now and then I need to change him and clean the bomb site up before we head out in an hour. I think we will make it! Feeling chuffed!

PetiteRaleuse Fri 21-Dec-12 10:58:13

Thanks Chunky. I'm not a panicker really but this night time coughing has been going on too long. Worse because of her cold at the moment, but has been on and off since, I now realise, we both had a cold at the end of the summer... Longer than I thought.

Right. Off out in the car now. Speak to you all after the Apocalypse smile

Passmethecrisps Fri 21-Dec-12 11:00:49

I haven't noticed anything YW. She had a strawberry birthmark on her tummy which appeared at about 2 weeks.

Put P in her first outfit today. Typically she vommed all over it and her swing. Doh! Have tried again with another one. Tempting fate?

ShellyBobbs Fri 21-Dec-12 11:04:48

Slept sat up last night as Tommy is so blocked up with a cold. I say slept.....

Have done the school run and finished off my present buying today, so very happy with that. Bought Tommy a play gym from Mothercare which was half price at £35, don't really know how they justify £70 usually.

Lots of smiles today despite the horrendous cold he has, he's even been cooing at me in response to me singing stupid songs to him (probably trying to tell me to STFU).

Going to make myself a ginormous bowl of porridge now, yummy!

YW L has a mark between her eyebrows! sad Trying you cut out dairy but all I'm craving is chocolate and milk. I'm veggie too...

TheDetective Fri 21-Dec-12 11:23:30

Fuck. Chaos has descended. Arsebuscuits.

blonderthanred Fri 21-Dec-12 11:27:29

VQ I feel like that when I hear about all the weight gains! I thought we were doing ok for sleep with a couple of chunks per night, usually 3+2 or 4+2 if I'm lucky. But all babies are different I guess. Was it YW who said about meeting a friend in the supermarket and the different perspectives on sleep?

Your LO has had a lot to contend with, hopefully now he's on the mend he will sleep and breathe more peacefully and life will start to get easier.

MissMummy1 Fri 21-Dec-12 11:30:17

The conclusion is DDs rash is bad eczema. Only taken 3 midwives and a GP to diagnose. It's all over her face and neck/shoulders. Looks awful sad . Been given hydramol ointement and creams to.try. Anyone have any experience of it? Will it disappear?! I feel like a rubbish mummy because I'm upset she's not perfect anymore sad (although she will always be perfect to us). It doesnt seem to be bothering her too much!

ShellyBobbs Fri 21-Dec-12 11:34:37

Chunky, I've not been on another thread for ages, it wasn't me guv. I am forced out of the door twice a day doing the school run and I go shopping most days too. I am easily out of the house in a morning, showered, make-up on, Tommy bathed and with all 4 kids inside an hour, that also includes a quick feed. I have had LOTS of practice though. There is a Shelly Boobs on MN.

MissMummy1 Fri 21-Dec-12 11:36:14

Sorry 3 health visitors!

YellowWellies Fri 21-Dec-12 11:39:22

Awwww MM speak to my sister Jacob had eczema it can be a reaction to something in your diet - eggs are quite a big trigger but there are others too. Glad to hear its not bothering her - and you're not a rubbish Momma!!!! I hate it when J just scratches his face so eczema must be heartbreaking.

kirrinIsland Fri 21-Dec-12 12:11:06

MM DD1 has excema, it flared up at about 12 weeks and she needed antibiotics to calm it down. Now we have fucidil (sp?) and a gloopy moisturizer to keep it under control. She does scratch it but it's not too bad really. It seems to be heat that sets hers off.

ChunkyTurkeywiththetrimmings Fri 21-Dec-12 12:46:28

Shelly was referring to the poo comment on this thread whilst we were on t'other... smile

ValiumQueen Fri 21-Dec-12 13:09:46

shelly you are amazing!

pass my interpretation is when you go to bed after and wake up before LO. Not stupid hours obviously, but 11 to 6 would do it for me.

I apologise for being self-indulgent earlier. I certainly do not begrudge anyone sleep, and chunky you are not getting much sleep either IMO, and have the growth spurt to look forward to as well. Even on a growth spurt they sleep some time. It is not as bad as newborn days, you are just more tired on a cumulative basis.

J slept in cot from 6.30am to 9, then I put him down again 10.45 and he self settled with light lullaby thing and sucking finger. He is still asleep. Poor little fella is mending hopefully. I tried to wake him earlier as needed to get DD from school but even with noise and light on he remained asleep so my mum is getting her. DD2 has her party at nursery this afternoon but doesn't want to go so that is fine with me. A party of 71 kids is a recipe for a germ over Christmas.

Catbag Fri 21-Dec-12 13:19:20

VQ You are the very last person to whom an accusation of self-indulgence could levelled. You have been through the mill with J over the last couple of weeks. I hope I speak for everyone when I say that the support that you have given to us all has been unparallelled. You are the matriarch that many of us are missing in RL. As a wise woman once said to me, you are doind so very well ;) <<hugs>>

Catbag Fri 21-Dec-12 13:19:43

doing*

ValiumQueen Fri 21-Dec-12 13:38:28

Thank you thanks that means the world to me <<blubfest>> grin must be my age eh horsey grin

Just ordered a Ewan as figure it might help, and so far boy has a bib for Christmas and some socks that are too big.

Passmethecrisps Fri 21-Dec-12 13:46:43

Well said catbag. I actually snorted at you post VQ. Self-indulgent is certainly not something you could be accused of. Just two nights ago I was getting about an hours sleep at a time - I cried pretty much all day on Wednesday.

I would be pleased with 11 to 6:30 or so. That works pretty well for us. I am still finding it difficult to sleep so some routine might be helpful.

Sorry to hear about the excema mm. It's not nice when anything is bothering them. Whenever DH snuggles P his bristly chin rubs her head and makes dry patches - even that really bothers me!

We have an appointment at the hospital at 3pm when she is actually due her meds and a feed. I might do them early. Hmm, everything is a big decision nowadays!

petite hope your wee one is ok asthma wise. I have asthma as does my sister and dad. DH had it as an infant. Typically I am completely unconcerned by mine although have been pretty wheezy since P was born strangely.

Sophiathesnowfairy Fri 21-Dec-12 13:47:03

mm it was ecszema that made me take DD1 off dairy initially and put her on soy and goats stuff. Once I took her of cows milk etc and gave her a probiotic it cleared up in 10 days! I had a horrible time with the ecszema it was really angry. I saw an independant nutrionist.

That's what happened to me anyway, remember they are all different but would recommend going to see an independant nutrionist, the cream is onu treating the symptom not the cause.

Passmethecrisps Fri 21-Dec-12 13:50:04

VQ it made me sniffle as well! bunch o sissies

Maybe you could try a swaddle me thing? I put a very upset P in hers last night - proper piercing screams immediately stopped when she was velcroed in. It calms her much more than swaddling with blankets. Small goes ho to 14ib apparently but I am not convinced. p is around about 9ib and is just right in hers.

I AM BAKING A CAKE! Get me!

Sophiathesnowfairy Fri 21-Dec-12 13:51:09

You were not self indulgent at all * vq* this is our safe haven to say what we feel and be honest without retribution. thanks

Go and have a brew and a biscuit

detective is the the end of the world in you house only? What happened?

This thread is not accepting new messages.