Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - come on stragglers, we're waiting for you

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 05-Dec-12 19:42:06
StuntNun Mon 10-Dec-12 09:54:55

Glenda J had gungey eyes last week and it cleared up in two days with the eye drops. They're really easy to put in with babies unlike 6yo DS2 who requires bribes before he'll let you put eye drops in.

MissMummy1 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:56:38

Glad you survived vq ! Lesser women (me) would have crumbled.

DP moaning he is ill this morning. He does have a temp and swollen glands (fc neither me nor M get it) but i can't help feel he's hamming it up for his mums benefit. And I'm the total cow of a DIL/partner who couldn't give a fuck that he isnt feeling 100%. Yes, he's been wonderful doing housework and helping with M, but my patience with him and his bastard parents is now wearing very thin. MM1 is a grumpy bollocks with no sleep!

NervousAt20 Mon 10-Dec-12 10:06:01

Sorry to hear there have been bad nights

I feel so ill this morning think I'm coming down with something been lying in the bathroom floor since 8 in agony now LOs woke up so I'm really struggling to feed her and I forgot one of DPs doctors appointments that I was ment to take him to this morning sad

Passmethecrisps Mon 10-Dec-12 10:16:25

Thank goodness vq! I'll bet you were glad to see the sun rise.

Thanks horsey. I think we will get some drops today. P is a month old today! She is currently sleeping in her basket in the sitting room. I have propped it up on a nigella lawson cookbook. She has been asleep for just under 2 hours which is more sleep than she has had since yesterday lunchtime. She is making such a lot of noise - grunts and snuffles. I feel like I am coming down with a cold so I wonder if she has one? MIL was fine on Saturday but was full of a cough and cold on Sunday.

Passmethecrisps Mon 10-Dec-12 10:18:03

Oh nervous that sounds awful! Sounds like you need a docs appointment. You really have had a tough time

horseylady Mon 10-Dec-12 10:41:16

Just been to get e weighed. As expected he'd not put on much and has dropped centiles. However he's happy etc. I only went as they'd not sent me 6 week appointment through and I couldn't remember if he was supposed to have one or if I just turned up. Anyway we weren't on any records to have one so a good job we went.

Pass - yes cook books are good for that!!

horseylady Mon 10-Dec-12 10:42:24

Nervous I'd call someone see if they can help you. What's hurting? General flu type symptoms or something else?

ChunkyTurkeywiththetrimmings Mon 10-Dec-12 10:59:54

Nervous feel better soon. Hugs.

Not to panic anyone, but appendicitus is more common in adults during & after pg, possibly due to it all shifting around in there & stuff getting trapped. If you have severe stomach pain, please see a GP straight away. My appendicitus encapsulated, so I had severe stomach pains intermittently for 2wks (pain on a par with labour but not constantly) so wasn't in real 'danger' but it isn't something to ignore.

NervousAt20 Mon 10-Dec-12 11:00:19

It's like the top of my abdomen, back and kidneys. Nothing is comfortable, I got from red hot to cold and dizzy and sick

ChunkyTurkeywiththetrimmings Mon 10-Dec-12 11:02:20

Sounds like an infection nervous with the fever, worth getting to the GP just in case it isn't just a virus.

YellowWellies Mon 10-Dec-12 11:02:20

MM I too have little sympathy with DH when he's ill now (poor sod) - I mean I've pushed a baby out of my nethers after a back to back labour, and had my bits shredded to get said baby out and then bled continually for five weeks and got lots of lovely sharp pains as my organs settle back into place after the ventouse and my uterus shrinks down and had a nipper chomping on my boobs. There is not much in the way of illnesses that can afflict blokes that rivals that. He doesn't even mention feeling under the weather now - Poor sod!

Sorry to hear about the illnesses striking various folks - the holiday season is such a bugger for it. I hope we stay lurgy free as we've got a house move to start thinking about too.

I was just telling Jonas how much I loved him despite him being a sleep thief and he touched my cheek and smiled. Squeeeeeeeeee, sniffle.

Poor sod during our Grey's Anatomy watching this morning, it was the episode where Izzy's fiancé died so he got cried on by Mummy and was just looking up at me, patiently suckling, with a wet forehead and wide eyes blinking in the dark like a loris. I was then laughing and crying. As night wakings go - definitely one for the memory banks.

horseylady Mon 10-Dec-12 11:03:52

Nervous call 111 they will advise you on what to do if you can't get him of your gp.

Sounds similar to my bug but I had dh to help me out.

YellowWellies Mon 10-Dec-12 11:41:33

111 that's a really good tip Horsey. I'll remember that during my next paranoid panic.

I was thinking about what you said last night - it made me think of when I was with an ex and we were raising his little girl who's Mum had died when she was wee. Now it's totally different when they are not your own, and I feel so much more for Jonas than, looking back, I did for this girl (but I did love her very much having raised her from 18 months to 4 years old), but I found myself in a similar emotional situation to what you described.

When I wasn't with her I felt free and able to be the real me, and somehow I resented the massive shift in priorities that the caring role entailed (I was 22 and so not ready for kids). I then felt guilty for enjoying child free time and craving it. Ironically I found that the more time I spent in the Mummy role the easier and more enjoyable it was. By having more of my own life and time to myself the greater my resentment became - maybe because I realised what I was missing? In the end I just had to jump into the Mummy role with both feet - for me the more I put in the more I got out. Straddling two worlds for me made it harder - so going back to work might not make it easier if that makes sense?

Now I'm a real Mum I know that life will never be the same again and see this as a positive thing. It took me a long time to realise that as a Stepmum.

GTbaby Mon 10-Dec-12 11:54:32

Yeah I can finally get back on the thread! No idea what was wrong.

Anyway. Stupid question alert. How long would you let 7week old sleep before waking for a feed? Would u have a different time for day time/ night time?

Passmethecrisps Mon 10-Dec-12 11:55:53

That's an amazing story yellow. Do you still have contact with her?

I really hope you feel better soon nervous. It sounds awful.

I am having twisty tummy moment remembering an incident last night. P had been awake for hours screaming and was awake after having been down an hour. I wrapped her up and put her back in her basket. Next time she woke I could hear her snuffling. When I checked her basket her head was completely covered in her swaddle. I could only see the top of her head. I am completely appalled - I have no idea how it happened. Nothing like that to make you thankfull your baby is crying.

ValiumQueen Mon 10-Dec-12 12:09:46

Do get seen nervous <<hugs>>

pass is it perhaps time to move the swaddle to chest level? I.e. arms free? Perhaps she is getting stronger rather than a problem with your technique? Either way, she is fine. Accept. Learn. Move on. smile

Brockle Mon 10-Dec-12 12:09:53

nervous a blocked duct or mastitis causes flu symptoms so you feel achy, headachy, feverish and generally like you have flu. It might no be but get yourself to the doctors asap as they are brilliant about giving antibiotics. I suffered a lot with DS2 and am currently on antibiotics for mastitis.

I have lurked for ages but never had the time to post. Y is great, feeding like a pro but the dreaded colic reared its head. Infacol has been great though. Two days after Y was born I caught a horrible cold which still hasn#'t gone. Its been a real bugger as Y has been a dream, 3 hour gaps between feeds at night so I should have felt massively better but the reduced sleep has just meant the virus had lingered so felt crap for two weeks. Hoping its on its way out now and with the trusty antibiotics the boobies should start feeling better.

Need to get christmassy if Y stays asleep for long enough

YellowWellies Mon 10-Dec-12 12:41:38

I'm still in touch with her through family but not through her Dad who turned into a total nightmare. He was the guy I was bitching about earlier in the thread when someone was having trouble with their fella. He was my 'never again' who taught me to look for qualities like kindness, honesty, loyalty and thoughtfulness in a fella by his absence of said qualities.

YW I bought the Mamas and Papas swaddle pod you recommended. Got it for 6 quid off Ebay. It is fab and DT1 loves it, very pleased with it. Thanks for tip.

Daisy I wanted to ask when your DS first smiled & how many weeks prem was he? I got my first genuine gummy smile from DT1 today and still waiting for a smile from DT2. GP said because they were 6 weeks premature they may be a bit slow developmentally but will catch up.

Was just wondering if you have experienced the same?

Is it normal to be so tearful after nearly 4 weeks? sad I'm so upset today. This isn't what I imagined at all.

apple sorry you feel down. If it is any consolation, I have days where I cry and mine are 10 weeks old sad Bloody stupid hormones.

kirrinIsland Mon 10-Dec-12 13:14:32

Hope you're feeling better nervous I agree a doctors appointment might be a good idea.

I just had a weepy session - first one since N was born so I guess I'm not doing too badly?! .n was crying cos she needed a feed, DD1 was screaming cos she didn't want to go for a nap, and I just got overwhelmed and figured if you can't beat 'em join 'em! I feel better now especially as DD1 has gone to nursery and N is asleep

Off to make her official later....

kirrinIsland Mon 10-Dec-12 13:16:46

Cross posts apple 4 weeks here as well, interesting we're both weepy today. I guess that means it is normal?!

pikz Mon 10-Dec-12 13:19:44

Tongue tie snip time. Feeling very anxious and hoping feeding works after this hmm

This thread is not accepting new messages.