Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - come on stragglers, we're waiting for you

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 05-Dec-12 19:42:06

dicks I took Diclofenac when I was breastfeeding. They told me to watch out for blood in their poos. I would chat to the midwife or even ring NHS direct to be on the safe side.

ValiumQueen Sat 08-Dec-12 12:03:02

dicks agree get it checked out today. With DD1 my nips were bleeding and she vommed pink milk. Horrid thought, but really not a problem. Clots sound a bit different to that, as if maybe coming from baby rather than you. Do not worry, but get it checked. Feed free to talk about your traumatic birth if it helps, and also agree meds are ok for baby, although perhaps swap to Brufen or try some other pain relief on MW advice. There is a slim possibility this could cause the clots, but I am no expert, and chance is very slim I would think. Hope all is well.

pass really feel for you with all this formula crap after the difficulty you had feeding her. Mummy guilt should be forced aside as it really is not your fault. Really. Really. Really. You are doing a fabulous job with little P, that is very clear in your posts. She will be ok, and in the whole scheme of things these early weeks are soon passed.

DS fed constantly from 2.30pm to 12.30am making up for lost time whilst ill, and 6 week bloody growth spurt. Still coughing, but only lost one feed yesterday thankfully. After feeding he slept until 9am waking just to find my tit again. I ache like a very achy thing this morning, but did doze while he slept so do not feel too bad. Scrubbing the house now while he sleeps as MIL and SIL are visiting today for two nights. Deep joy!

Passmethecrisps Sat 08-Dec-12 12:33:01

Aw VQ you brought a tear to the eye of a hard wummin!

Well, no poo as yet but wee P is already seeming much happier. She slept for 4 hours in a row!! Then after her feed at 2:30 she slept for another 3.5 hours. Brill! The theory with the formula is that it is thicker therefore cannot be gulped like normal formula. She has to work harder getting it but it seems already to have made her more comfortable. I feel like a new woman after 2 lots of 3 hours of sleep.

Just as well really as we have my MIL and SIL coming to visit. They are adorable people but both are, well, much more house proud than me. DH and I have run around this morning cleaning parts of the house I haven't looked at for the entire time we have lived here. They are insisting we go out for dinner tonight and they can babysit. I must admit to feeling pretty weird about this. I am not sure I want to leave her. I know she will be fine and a meal out would be nice but, well, ya know!

toomany I hope you get some good advice from your HV. I wondered if your LO might have torn or ripped something when being sick. I have no idea but you should certainly ask.

Sorry to those who had crappy nights. One day we will all get a full night's sleep again!!

ValiumQueen Sat 08-Dec-12 12:59:42

smile only saying as it is pass - funny how we both have MIL and SIL to endure this weekend. Spooky! FIL died 6 weeks before our wedding. Bloody inconsiderate, as it really messed up the seating plan, and we had to find a new best man. I miss the old bugger. He had a brain injury that made him very child-like, and he was both adorable and infuriating at the same time. I swear DD1 saw him (long passed) when she was a toddler. She used to look in the corner at his house and talk to someone and laugh and smile. 8 years since, but my MIL has never even begun to come to terms with it. Very sad. DS has his name as a middle name. Toilets and kitchen are clean, have hoovered, everything else I can blame on the kids or DH.

ValiumQueen Sat 08-Dec-12 13:02:42

I remember the first time I went out and left a baby. Not easy, but important to get over the hurdle. I spent the whole night texting home and did not enjoy the meal one bit. I still hate going out and leaving them, and hate sleep-overs even more.

horsey you made me smile re my age comment grin

Oh, and thanks for the advice about the chickenpox. No pox here yet but is very early days.

MissMummy1 Sat 08-Dec-12 13:38:10

I have just been very rude to a postman blush The bastard rang the bell at least 5 times and woke M and me up. He then had thr audacity to look at me in my pjs (first day i havent got dressed might i add) and muttrr that he didnt think anyone would still be asleep at this time of day. I might have snapped back, well you would be too if your 5 day old daughter had kept you awake all night! angry Twat. The parcel could have easily fitter through the door too.

I don't do well being woken up. M gets away with it. Just.

So far surviving our mummy and matilda day while dh finishes his dive qual. My mum came round this morning and did all the housework dh has missed. Why do men think we dont need to hoover? Or that dumping a pile of clean washing outside the wardrobe door counts as putting it away? Bless him, on the whole he has done quite a good job smile

Another one enduring in laws this weekend. They fly in tomorrow and are only staying one night. thank god. MIL has offered to give us a night off and stay up with her doing feeds etc, but she is very pro ff and I doubt she would take too kindly to my expressed milk. As lovely and capable as she is, I barely know her and I feel funny about leaving Matilda with her confused

I think today could be pooh day but I am genuinely terrified!! blush I'd love a bath too but scared it will be very sore - showers are bad enough right now!

<off to fizz a bit more about twatty postmen>

ChunkyTurkeywiththetrimmings Sat 08-Dec-12 13:53:47

How ignorant MM what if you did shift work??!! Git.

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Sat 08-Dec-12 14:17:21

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the blood is definitely from me on further inspection. Both nipples are a bit mashed up and had blood coming from them. I think it was a poor latch overnight as I was so tired I just let her get on with it. I've been applying lasinoh religiously all morning and making sure her latch was correct and it hasn't happened since. I also cracked and gave her a dummy last night so that could have affected her latch.

I'm feeling quite sore today and annoyed at having a section. I'd be out and about by now if all had gone to plan. Dd1 is also playing up a bit and I just have no patience with her but I feel sorry for her due to the big adjustments she is having to make.

TheDetective Sat 08-Dec-12 15:34:28

Toomany, I was desperate to avoid section for many reasons. One was so I could resume normal life as quick as possible. Well, sods frickin' law, I got 'away' with forceps but have been restricted by pain none the less!!! GRRRR!!

I managed to get out the house on day 5 but it wasn't a pretty picture. Uncomfy and very sore. Didn't last long!

I just expressed 130mls and then Oscar woke up demanding a feed. I hope there is something in there for him still!! He's been on 10 minutes and seems quite happy...! I'll have to give him the ebm if he isn't. I was saving that for later....!

I need to find some answers to my silly expressing questions. If anyone knows the answers to these, I'll be forever grateful!

If expressing, when you take it out fridge and out with you, but then don't use it, can it be returned to th fridge? Realised I have no idea when it comes to this!!

Also if he takes 80ml and leaves 50, I have to throw that 50 away don't I? <cries>

I think expressing for a couple of feeds a day is going to be the way forward for us. I love breastfeeding him, and don't want to stop. But I'm spending 12 hours a day with him on the boob, and I have another child to think about! I'm planning on breastfeeding through the night, but giving him ebm at 730 so we are ready to leave house for 830 and again at 2pm so we are ready to go for 2.50. The rest of the feeds will be breast unless we are getting ready to go somewhere on time in which case I'll give him ebm.

I also need him to be happy with it in a bottle for when I go back to work. I know he is just 2 weeks old, but I'd be stuffed if he didn't accept a bottle. So far so good. Doesn't seem to be any confusion.

Of course all this would be unnecessary if he could just figure out a way to speed his feed up a wee bit grin.

TheDetective Sat 08-Dec-12 15:39:58

Oh FFS! I've been sat here for 50 minutes watching Disney XD. DS and DP are at the cinema....!!!

Idiot hmm.

TheDetective Sat 08-Dec-12 15:40:29

Oh FFS! I've been sat here for 50 minutes watching Disney XD. DS and DP are at the cinema....!!!

Idiot hmm.

Bryzoan Sat 08-Dec-12 15:52:45

Hi detective, No idea re milk that had been out of the fridge - I think I would make a judgement call based on temps it was exposed to, how long for and how long till planning to use it. Sadly you do need to chuck any milk left on the bottle he has been drinking from. Maybe put in less at a time and then top it up?

CandyPop Sat 08-Dec-12 16:00:08

chunky do u have to feed every 2-3 hrs after the tongue tied procedure?
U mentioned before that ur bubba screamed when it was done... I was under the impression it was painless for them sad

My LO is having it done on weds. Thought of it makes me wanna cry. However I do have two very sore nipples and hoping the procedure will help with her latching. At the moment I'm just shuffling my breast as much as possible into her mouth ! Sometimes it works ......other times she manages to pull away with just nipple to suck... Painful !!

ValiumQueen Sat 08-Dec-12 16:20:05

dicks I recovered sooner with my sections than with my natural birth. Obviously if it is all text book then you can be up and out quickly, but that is not always the case. Try not to think about 'what if'. It is important to come to terms with your trauma and accept your significant loss. I am certainly not underestimating that at all. How is your wound doing?

detective bm is ok out of the fridge for some time, but if out and about I would still take an insulated bottle thing, and if not used, I would pop it back in the fridge. If he does not finish a bottle, it does need throwing as bacteria would have been introduced. The answer is just heat a bit at a time. Better heat two small bottles than waste precious milk. He will speed up his feeding in time.

TheDetective Sat 08-Dec-12 16:23:23

Thanks Bry and VQ that's pretty much what I thought but my befuddled brain decided to make me wonder!

ChunkyTurkeywiththetrimmings Sat 08-Dec-12 16:25:28

candy yes, was advised to feed that often so the tongue doesn't heal in the wrong way/form scar tissue. And he was screaming before as hungry but it upped a bit but only for a minute until he was on my boob. It was more comfortable straight away BUT his latch needs to be re-learnt so its not an instant miracle cure. He is getting better but is feeding constantly & only sleeping on me, so I'm exhausted and v impatient/low on tolerance....

MissMummy1 Sat 08-Dec-12 16:29:02

DP wasted 3oz of my milk last night doing just that. I told him a hundred times to decant it into smaller bottles. I could have killed him! (but he told me with a cup of tea, so he was forgiven). I might not be able to forgive him for today's faux pas though - the muppet has managed to get one of my lipsticks mixed into a pile of washing and subsequently jammed the door shut and dyed all our clothes red. angry

At least he is trying.... hmm

kirrinIsland Sat 08-Dec-12 16:51:49

toomany that was me a couple of weeks ago - no patience with DD1 and feeling very guilty about it, but she was much better after a week and seems to have got used to the fact that DD2 is here to stay !
MM sorry about your clothes :-(

Bad night here again, she starts off ok but its really hard to get her to settle off me after her 3ish o'clock feed .

We've been in Bluewater shopping today, DP managed to prove how terrible he is with women, after me remarking how lovely a dress in a window was he replied that if I lose my baby weight in the new year he'll get it for me... I have him "the look" and he soon realised what an idiotic thing to say it was, luckily I know him well enough to know it wasn't meant to be hurtful or insulting ... He's bloody lucky to have me I swear!

Anyway £350 worth of dress is ludicrous however thin/fat I am.

Also I think I have a problem with my saliva gland, I've got a big lump on the underside of my chin under the skin, it's quite sore and even with drinking pints of water every hour I'm still so thirsty, my mouth is bone dry and my lips are cracked and sore... Very attractive right now I can assure you.

Spending the day at MIL's tomorrow for roast dinner smile
I'm tired and feeling quite low today, quite under the weather.

horseylady Sat 08-Dec-12 17:05:50

Vq -I aim to please :D your growth spurt day sounds like my days. The all night sleep very much welcome though.

Pass - glad p is looking happier.

Ds not really slept all day again. Took him Xmas shopping. I forgot sling and pram so carried him. I also forgot my wallet. But mum paid for the present I wanted to get him. I'll pay her back!! A nice rocking horse (obv for when he's older). Mum bought him a walker. Again for when he's older.

Had a fab ride on the hoss going to book a lesson and start her jumping again.

TheDetective Sat 08-Dec-12 17:12:43

All our DP's really make me laugh! Sorry MM I'm not sure how to get lipstick out of clothes... given it is oil based isn't it? My usual suggestion would be babywipes grin. Don't think that is gonna cut it though is it?

If it is any consolation, you will be needing new clothes soon anyway, as your figure returns someone forgot to tell my body this.

And he can buy them for you. grin

MissMummy1 Sat 08-Dec-12 17:30:20

Had a look at the damage and its not too bad. Was mostly pyjamas in the wash anyway. He also has no concept of separating colours so there were a few pink towels in there too. I think I will get his mum to give him a lesson in washing tomorrow smile

horseylady Sat 08-Dec-12 17:36:12

Mm I refuse to let dh near the machine unless it's his clothes only going in.

Elizadoesdolittle Sat 08-Dec-12 18:12:31

stunt thanks for the tip re leaving a bottle if ebm in the fridge. I have been freezing them straight away but from now on I'll make sure there is always a bottle in the fridge. Glad you had that baileys, well deserved!

Been to 2 birthday parties today so am shattered. DD1 is very hyper but DH is doing th bed time routine so I'm feeding DD2 in peace. Going to get a take away tonight smile

Hope everyone has a good evening/night.

This thread is not accepting new messages.